Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

jase1 posted:

What’s everyone’s take on American Ultra?

I loved Walton Goggins character even though he is a semi rip off of the joker. The action scenes were pretty fun. It wasn’t a mind blowing blow type action movie by any means but it was a fun short movie.

It's garbage. The ending is utter trash. It posits that being a mindless servant of imperialism, murdering it's enemies is way cooler than just being a peaceful stoner. It's basically Jason Bourne finding out, that he has been brainwashed to commit atrocities and deciding that he wants to go back to doing that actually, thank you very much. The way it treats Kristen Stewart's character is appalling too.
Boring and ugly to look at too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016
Someone in this thread recently recommended Killing (2018) by Shinya Tsukamoto and I want thank you for that, big fan of films about how being a samurai is actually completely inhuman and insane and you will lose everything.

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

Steen71 posted:

Someone needs to introduce Tsukamoto to a tripod though.

He would probably make a movie about someone wanting to gently caress it and failing, then killing themselves because of it and coming back to life as some human-tripod demonic mutant.

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

CeeJee posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16sGH4xb5ic

"Combine the visual impact of Blade Runner with the visual effects of Terminator 2" is overselling it a bit but they sure made some great action shots. Shooting in the middle of a huge steel mill being demolished and just putting the stars and some gasoline bombs next to a huge tower being toppled is the kind of 90's film making that is gone for good, at least in North America. Probably for the better when it comes to crew health but it made a tiny budget go a long way.
This has somehow lead me to Olivier Gruner's Wikipedia page and never have I seen one that is more transparently written by the subject themself.

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

Snowman_McK posted:

Interesting. I thought it was the opposite. As he gets more tired, his choreography includes more elaborate poo poo. It ends with a leaping spinning downward kick into a breakfall. Their idea of 'he fights tired' is to throw flipkicks in between extremely limp punches that the stuntman nevertheless sells like they were thrown by Deontay Wilder. They did a much better job in the subsequent seasons.
This is accidentally a thing that does in happen in fights, but mosty with less experienced fighters. They start trying to finish the fight with big power moves, flying knees, spinning poo poo and whatnot because they dont have the gas to execute their gameplan so they start looking for a quick way out.

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016
Man, I was in the mood for some swashbuckling action and the new Three musketeers films had pretty good ratings on Letterboxd but I turned the first one off after about 20 minutes ( once they get ambushed at their agreed upon dueling spot ), there was basically no fencing, the vibes are off and there's too much weird punching and crappy gunplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016
I am 2:33 in and am having a hard time processing this CGI Post Malone fight. This is so weird.

So it's not bad, but I really dislike the use of CG in fistfights between human beings and they do it a lot here. Something just gets lost.
It is funnier than I thought it would be, but somehow kinda charmless?

Majkol fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Mar 22, 2024