Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
Another yay vote. Solid and grim. If you've seen Bone Tomahawk you'll know the kind of mood the film has. More broken limbs than a Steven Seagal film from the 80s.

Speaking of the 80s, it's almost a nihilistic Lock Up remake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

muscles like this! posted:

I'm in the middle of reading it now.

Don't forget to take a break occasionally if you're feeling physically ill.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

brocked posted:

Close, I can't remember his name off the top of my head but he probably played Zatoichi in any of the movies you've seen (except the Takeshi Kitano version)

They're brothers.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Basebf555 posted:

I figured that guy never had time to take any other roles, it seems like he had a Zatoichi movie to film like every single year for 20 years or something. He has to have the record for playing the same character in the highest number of films.

Fun fact, Shintaro Katsu was supposed to play the lead in Kurosawa's Kagemusha, but his ego was apparently insufferable, and Kurosawa had to replace him with Tatsuya Nakadai before filming even started.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Wheat Loaf posted:

I liked Harris's other novel, Black September, but I've never seen the movie version.

I think you mean Black Sunday. Black September is the terrorist group.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Ran owns, Kurosawa’s movies always looked good, but the colors in Ran are stunning, and that one scene before the final battle where the armies are hundred of yards apart are communicating just with hand signals, it’s unthinkable that Kurosawa was nearly blind at that point in his life.

Blind? Are you sure you're not confusing him with someone else?

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

mobby_6kl posted:

Just watched it myself, while all the non-shooty parts felt cheesier than normal and some of the acting was a bit sketchy, in particular with english dialogue (and supposedly Japanese too though I can't judge), the action mostly delivered and so it was pretty fun overall. I think only in the farmhouse shootout some of the editing felt a bit weird and we need more slow-motion rather than the choppy effect they used from time to time.

I'm gonna be the contrarian and say that Manhunt pretty awful. I mean, it may have horrid acting, terrible dialogue, non-sensical editing, and a ridiculously stupid story, but on the other hand the action scenes are boring and it looks really, really cheap. And, oh god, all that broken English...

A couple of the action scenes might have been ok if the characters hadn't already pissed me off with their stupidity. I basically hated it.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

That's not being contrarian, that's being a typical youtuber.

Some youtubers praise movies, you know.

e: Erm, I think I might have used a wrong word. I shouldn't have said "contrarian" but "dissenting voice". I'm just really surprised that anyone liked Manhunt.

Steen71 fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 8, 2018

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
The Killer or Hard Boiled.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
Late to the Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning talk, but I just wanted to point out that the US blu-ray/DVD has the R-rated cut of the film. Most other countries got the uncut version.
You can find a comparison here: https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=583749 (with some very NSFW images).

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Payndz posted:

Having been to Florence several times, all I could think about during the opening chase was how much the cars were teleporting around the city (yeah, all action movies do that, but this took it to insane new levels), and that central Florence apparently has several large areas of open parkland between its landmark piazzas.

This reminds me of re-watching Ronin after a visit to Nice. Let's just say that they do some impressive teleporting in that one too.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

When you realize that Bennet was also Wez from Road Warrior, it adds just a whole new level of absurdity.

And let's not forget his prosthetic hand vibrator in the PG rated Innerspace.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
Appropriate trivia: The guys who play Zatoichi (Shintaro Katsu) and Lone Wolf (Tomisaburo Wakayama) are brothers, and Wakayama appears in a couple of the Zatoichi films. Katsu was supposed to have played the lead in Kurosawa's Kagemusha but was kicked off the production for being a pain in the rear end, more or less. Both of them died pretty early, sadly.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
Someone needs to introduce Tsukamoto to a tripod though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
Ok, that does sound pretty good.