Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Yaws posted:

The Way of the Gun is fairly forgettable movie overall but the gunfight at the end is hands down the best I've ever seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20oEmQZrqyI

I love the way they do brass checks and reload their pistols. A minor thing but something a lot of movies ignore.

Not forgettable at all!

In fact I’ve been obsessed with potty-mouthed Jewish girls since I saw the opening scene. I even married one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Basebf555 posted:

Watch Lifeforce. I recommend once a year like I do.

Goddamn that movie was on hbo constantly when I was 12/13. I’ll let you fill in the rest.

Goddamn Dan O’Bannon could write[

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Wheat Loaf posted:

In the absence of a western thread, I'll say that I think Joe Kidd is the worst western Eastwood made including Paint Your Wagon.

Outlaw Jessie Wales. gently caress that confederate apologist Asa Earl Carter-written shitfest.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Action Jackson is legit.
Watched that poo poo on VHS, it was awesome. I love reading old Ebert reviews of poo poo he doesn't get:

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/action-jackson-1988 posted:

Action Jackson” plays like a cross between “Superman” and “The Face of Death,” and that’s not intended as a compliment. Rarely have comedy and gruesome violence been combined in such a blithe mixture, as if the violence didn’t really count

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Goddamnit Scott Adkins != Scott Adsit Both great action stars of course:

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Friend of mine said it was worth it 'for the Goldblumiing'.

I believe this.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

GoodyTwoShoes posted:

Do not watch Detention.

Detention is one of the best films of the decade. Also he’s not in it.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Way of the Gun had probably one of the funniest lines in a movie I'd ever heard: "...shut that oval office's mouth before I come over there and gently caress-start her head" :v:
In retrospect Sarah Silverman imprinted on me so hard in that scene that I ended up marrying an angry, funny Jewish girl.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Police Story was flat-out, openly designed as a Jackie-based stunt showcase. Much like John Wick was designed as a Keanu-based stunt showcase.

Similarly Ong-bak and a lot of other thread faves.

I wish filmmakers could be more honest about this.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
First time I ever saw it:

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Also, editing on that trailer was Tier One.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Never watched after they switched sparticaii.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Disposable Scud posted:

I was shocked by my enjoyment of Den Of Thieves. I ain't great but it was a drat entertaining watch and way better than I expected.

Straight up perfect trash. And better-than-perfect sound.

E: just realized that in comparison the sound in JW3 didn’t even make an impression.

Remulak fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 21, 2019

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Commando and Police Story came out at about the same time and both had big mall galleria set pieces, and god I love both of them. Also both have crazy downhill chase scenes. Hmmm.

Commando has better jokes though, ‘I have to go to my shed to get my rifle’, ‘my friend is dead tired. ‘I lied/ let him go’. Also better continuity errors, it’s like they deliberately screwed up details and repeated killing the same extras just to make viewing more fun.

Bloodsport is very, very special though, despite the overuse risks of slow motion closeups of fake hits; it contains the only known footage shot inside Kowloon walled city; that isn’t a set.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning
Finally watched this after years of never getting around to it. Holy poo poo it’s :krad: not just as an action film but as a balls-out piece of filmmaking.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
[quote="Clipperton" post="

Clipperton posted:

More Cronenberg than Lynch imo, and yes it rocks
The utter lack of exposition ties into both and is part of its genius. I haven’t seen any other movies in the series (possibly the first, I guess).

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I love The Raid 2. I especially love the badguy's name (drat am I a nerd):

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Basebf555 posted:

...That DVD turned out to be Ong Bak.

Jaa is maybe one of the last guys who made it that way. Almost 100% word of mouth.
Yeah, I read about it on some obscure forum - maybe this one - and ordered direct. My GF at the time was really curious about what I ordered from Thailand, lol.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
OK, versus is worth your time. I haven’t been to the whole thing yet, but every time I get bored it switches genres.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

married but discreet posted:

Nemesis 2 is the sequel to Albert Puyn's strangely dope and influental 1992 cyberpunk action movie Nemesis...
Uh, may have seen Nemesis but GODDAMN I live (not love, live) the trailer for 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrvBE3jsCEY

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Indifferently done cgi blood and muzzle flashes/recoil take too much fun out of later Rodriguez works. Those things can be done well but he seems to go out of his way to them badly.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

dokmo posted:

I believe that movie is called Ajin: Demi Human

That's an anime, at least according to netflix, and that same movie is quoted a lot the shooty ASMR clip and I was wondering where it came from.

Snowman_McK posted:

Those are weirdly relaxing, right? It's not just me? Please tell me it's not just me.
Finally some ASMR I can get behind.

It's funny how often the same sounds are re-used though, some fun different gunshots but a lot of the same clanky clanky is re-used. And drat the clips from mysterious shotgun movie are awesome.

Also, not to be creepy, but at one point there was a shot of 90's Gina Gershon I didn't recognize and I can't find it again.

Remulak fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 15, 2020

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Snowman_McK posted:

the action design and the execution of Shoot em Up is loving great. It's the logical next step for John Woo type stuff. It's just all the non shooty parts with Clive Owen that don't work. He just looks bored.

The concept with guns, tits, and carrots carried it IMO.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

ynohtna posted:

Yeah, Shoot'em Up would've been greatly improved with a Robocop level of splatter. But then again, I suppose few things wouldn't. There's lots of fun ideas in there, but it all feels somehow constrained.
Now I wanna make an guacamole gun ai to fix this movie, and others.

ynohtna posted:

Anyway, who's up for some Samo Hung? Featuring a dirty head, colourful costumes, a fanciful villain, a stampede, much facial emoting and possibly more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkKdJdKvLhs
halfway through, its terrific, is this the same as hung’s Dirty Ho, or is that different?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I just signed up for the Wu-tang collection unlimited for $3/month, and it’s pretty much kinda worth it.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Chow Yun-fat owns, he's been consistently pro Hong-Kong and his film career has taken a hit even though his still working. Also lives modestly and is trying to give all his money away to charity.

I can't find the good article I read on him a last year but here are a couple to touch on it.

https://www.latimes.com/world/asia/la-fg-hong-kong-denise-ho-un-china-censorship-20190710-story.html
https://qz.com/1506767/the-humble-lifestyle-of-movie-star-chow-fat-yun/

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Basebf555 posted:

Am I crazy for thinking that Police Story 2 is better than the first one? I bought this Jackie Chan set mainly for Police Story, I'd never seen the sequel but I think it actually hangs together better as a complete movie, even if nothing will ever top the mall brawl.
Police Story 2 is an all-time world high point for real-life fire gags. We're so used to CGI that shocking how dangerous they actually are when you realize those are real people and real fires.

It is a bit dour though, and my least favorite of the 3.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

I say this with no disrespect to Wingard: it should be John Woo. At the minimum they need his blessing.

Also they need 90’s Gina Gershon to approve, and appear in the film.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Basebf555 posted:

Nobody was really good. Odenkirk actually pulled it off.

Seeing that in an an Atmos theater (25%) full of drunk college kids was a truly great time - movies as a shared experience really is the best.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I really like how many platonic relationships with women Reacher has. It’s a huge change from the archetype. The character genuinely respects the women as well.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Hiekkakauppias posted:

Firewalker indeed owns, i also kind of like lonewolf mcquade. I have seen some other movies of his but can't really remember which ones were good in at least cheap 80's action movie way.
Code of Silence was Andrew Davis' first action movie, and it was pretty good iirc.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Horrifying Lack of Project A/ Part 2 in this thread.

Also a lack of videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iI3SBEmk0A&t=268s

Remulak fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 14, 2022

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I can’t find the post, but somebody (SMG? me?) made a long rambling post about what I’ve always believed, that every Andy thinks he can become a badass. Just gotta cut back in the booze, hit the gym, go to kickboxing, and boom. This dude actually did it, the slacker dadbod dream. Huge vicarious wish fulfillment with that guy. Ran out of this goodwill though as HE doesn’t get this at all, he has zero self awareness.

Still wish we got Glenn Howerton as Starlord, different, more interesting movie. Then as a bonus we could have giant Dennis after giant Mac went to seed.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

dokmo posted:

Yeah that's how I feel. It starts out as a pure revenge story with some interesting world building, then the world building becomes the story. At least the action scenes have been consistently good and incentive through all the movies.
Yeah, the first was clearly based on the Police Story model of action film-making: figure out some cool sequences then make up a plot to justify them and space them to let the audience recover, like the banal romances in later Marx brothers films.

They decided that they needed to keep 'world building' instead, I guess the alternative would be to Police Story it, and make them only loosely connected, which also wouldn't have worked well either. Keeping moving through John's Bad Day makes more sense as a series then 'several years later Jackie needs to work with Michelle'.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
drat also love the other clip on that channel:
https://youtu.be/7YUy2Gix70U

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Inzombiac posted:

Did anyone else watch Gunpowder Milkshake when it came out?
I liked it well enough but I don't think Karen Gillian has the charisma to lead. She did wonders for Nebula but otherwise I'm not convinced.
Netflix is telling me I watched this, but I have ZERO recollection, even though it’s filled with memorable actors.

thatfuturekid posted:

TNCFU is my favorite action film since The Raid. It's just so bonkers and violent and doesn't let up at all. Timo went all in, can't wait for his Train to Busan remake tbh

Oh god the start of that movie filled me with such dread I stopped watching. It was so clear things were gonna go wrong, and not in a fun way. Only other movie that happened with was 28 days later when the dad and the daughter exactly my daughters age were gonna go into the tunnel.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

B-Rock452 posted:

Nothing about that scene makes sense if it makes you feel better. The dad was clipped into an anchor comprised of several bolts which is completely bombproof and could have easily taken the combined weight of all 5 climbers in a fall.

Also I am shocked that metolius didn't have a problem with their logo being seen on the cam (climbing gear) that failed since cams don't work that way. They tend to walk a bit if you aren't careful with placement but once force is applied to it it's never going to move if placed correctly and it's pretty common for them to be completely stuck after a big fall.

Famously black diamond sued Cliffhanger since their logo was prominent on the buckle of the harness that fails at the beginning and the logo had to be cgi'd out

Cliffhanger was an early outlier in digital effects, especially in how the safety lines were removed and compositing between actors/doubles/mattes/locations. Didn't know about the logo though.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Jaxyon posted:

I recently rewatched Ong Bak and The Protector and both still hold up really well.

I do notice the wigs for head padding these days, though.

My wife was ‘really curious’ when I got a dvd from Thailand and goddamn I love Ong Bak.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
It would be great if it took advantage of the 3D and 48fps upgrades that theaters are doing for Avatar 2. It was possibly the best-designed 3D movie ever.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Payndz posted:

Freejack and Young Guns 2
At the time i thought Young Guns 2 was better than the original, and genuinely affecting due to the wraparound structure, but gently caress if I’ll spend hours confirming this. Free Jack was good too IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

MrBling posted:

Seagal would also just hit the stunt guys for real, so there's a reason his fight scenes could look cooler back in the day.
Tommy Lee Jones had a rep for this too, and not in the Hong Kong Star secret I’ll slip you extra bucks way. Fucker went to Harvard in the 60’s, unsurprising that he’s an elitist rear end in a top hat.

So I imagine both of the doubles in that movie got it pretty bad.