Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

I don't like the fact that they keep making McClane's life shittier with each successive film starting with Die Hard With a Vengeance. I guess you could argue his life marginally improved from With a Vengeance to Live Free or Die Hard, where he at least seems to have stopped drinking. Then they way they wrote A Good Day to Die Hard they kinda forced themselves into a position where McClane had to be a lovely estranged father who hasn't seen his family for years.

I mean, sure it's an aspect of the original that John is a stubborn rear end in a top hat in some ways, and that's what makes him the terrorists worst nightmare blah blah blah, but does that mean he can never be happy?

I find that since the third one he becomes more and more invulnerable, just adding to more and more McClaine apathy. The fourth one is just loving awful for unforgivingly being PG-13 right out the box office. At least the fifth one went back to being rated R. Whenever John wasn't talking and action was happening the movie was really really good. Notwithstanding the scene where they are literally falling down a garbage chute while being peppered with machine gun fire from a loving attack chopper. AND WALK THE gently caress AWAY FROM IT. By the fifth movie organic John McClaine had been replaced by a cybernetic organism T-800 model funded apparently by the NYPD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I'm not sure if it was this thread or just Scott Adkins conversation the last few pages in general but I got done watching "Triple Threat" with Adkins, Michael Bisping, Michael Jai White as villains, and Tiger Chen, Tony Jaa, and Iko Uwais as the protagonists. That was a drat good movie and let Adkins a little more of a scenery chewing villain. Also that one loving kill with the grenade launcher holy poo poo. Great martial arts choreography from all six. Tony Jaa having the most charismatic performance, and poor Tiger Chen having a literal bowl cut haircut. Great late night movie.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Blast Fantasto posted:

I don't know if this was just someone's wishful thinking, but I had read rumors at one point that the new Rambo was going to be him defending is farm from white supremacists. Which would have been cool instead of what appears to be the exact opposite.

That's what I heard too, and was like oh man Rambo going up against weekend warrior white nationalist/supremacists that think they're armchair Army Generals? Fuckin sign me up, maybe they would have finally played up how John Rambo is supposed to be Italian from his dad's side and Navajo from his mom. Does he use any ridiculous explosive tipped arrows? Or does the movie kinda turn into "Mandy" a little bit with like a chainsaw fight?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I almost wanna see Last Blood, but I ran it by my partner (who's latinx) and it was a hard no.

And I can see why, seeing a movie like that in Houston is probably a guarantee of a hell-crowd

e: like, she's as down to laugh at ridiculous Freeper-id as I am, she's just not willing to be Freeper Jane Goodall for an hour and a half

This is pretty much where I fall as well, (latinx). There are more interesting ways to portray Mexican cartel poo poo (Narcos,). And everything I keep hearing is just your basic poo poo. Then again you could pretty much say the same for every Rambo movie antagonist since First Blood: Part 2.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

Raw Deal is a really under-appreciated Schwarzenegger flick. The story confused the hell out of me, but the villains, set pieces, stunts and squibs kick so much rear end.

"You shouldn't drink and bake." :thejoke:

Also that movie must have shelled out a lot of cash to the Rolling Stones for having a whole murder spree set to "Satisfaction".

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Yeah the plot side of John Wick 3 is pretty lame although I have zero interest in the tactical realism aspect of it (beyond the sick reloading, judo throws, and how they actually make shotguns work as something more than a blunderbuss). My main thing is dwelling on the machinations of the assassin world, which is just the same old petty "lords holding court and jockeying for position" poo poo we've seen a zillion times. This is the problem with mystery box storytelling. They eventually open the box and you find out the gold coins are just foil over cheap chocolate.

Man John Wick 3, for me was the first movie in a forever long time that just had THE BEST shotgun sounds. Just big meaty DOOM boomstick booms. What massively took it away from me was just how loving many shots he was supposed to be firing off making it worse by having the focus of some of those scenes be how he's reloading his shotty. Then I can't help but count off how many shots he's supposed to be taking vs skulls he's turning into watermelon jelly. And it completely takes me out of the action.

Finally though someone busts out the prison slug shotgun ammo and it's a grisly amazing death for the fodder. That poo poo hurts with that kickback.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

You could always watch Black Rain, Black Rain is dope

Black Rain is a great vehicle for prime Michael Douglas being a whiny lovely cop. And does good on the, now tired trope, of maverick American cop partnered with stoic foreign cop and they gotta work together to get the job done.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

Ugh gently caress Lance Reddick died. That blows.

60 years is way too loving young. RIP to one of the best drat actors to ever do it.

At least Sam Neill is cancer free now even though he has to take chemo drugs for the rest of his life. :smith:

Imma go find episodes of Corporate, and watch The Guest. gently caress man....this really hits me hard.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

It's bizarre how often Bricklayer/Beekeeper situations seem to come up in Hollywood. It's like the Deep Impact/Armageddon situation, or Volcano/Dante's Peak, it seems like once or twice every decade you'll have the same premise made into two separate movies in the same year.

I'll never understand why they just aren't Statham "Mechanic" sequels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

morestuff posted:

It’s not as good as the previous few but it’s not bad either, the action is very charming for the most part

The movie is just so dour and overly long. Fallout was kind of having that problem, but it was hidden by having more of the ensemble cast engage Cruise in scenes. Also why do people hate on the third one? It was a perfectly serviceable film that just memory holed the John Woo one. The second one is tied for the worst but also the best in seeing is believing, just for being a watered down Woo movie, and yet being this insane distillation of what pop culture was like back then backing what was soon to be this massive juggernaut that got squashed for years until Abrams came around.