Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Would Killing Zoe count as a French film? It's mostly in English and stars Eric Stoltz, but takes place in Paris and many of the characters speak French when not conversing with Stoltz's character.

I remember liking Banlieue 13 back when it first came out too, but I never saw the sequel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNCbbnYZe0E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Face/Off is incredible because it has two of the most over the top actors in the biz doing impressions of each other for two hours.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

SimonCat posted:

Stone Cold is the greatest movie of all time.

The opening grocery store shootout is great, and Lance Henricksen and William Forsythe are goddamn amazing in it. That movie is so crazy.

Dead!Dead!Dead!Dead!Dead!Dead!Dead!Dead!Dead!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

DAT MULLET THO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL47m1mQWZQ

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

All that talk about Stone Cold a few pages back made me remember another made-for-cable shoot em up fest called Hollow Point, it came out in 1995, and stars Donald Sutherland, John Lithgow, Tia Carrere, and Thomas Ian Griffith. Sutherland's a crazy serial bomber employed by mob boss Lithgow, Carrere and Griffith play rival officers trying to claim the bust. Sutherland steals the movie as a guy who reeeeally loves bombs and gets super excited at the idea of self-detonating. Griffith and Carrere keep the sexual tension silly, which is good since the movie gets pretty ridiculous. Somebody shoots a rocket out of mid-air at one point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSC5fBOfvk4

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Is the fourth one the bow from that movie where Wilford Brimley rides a horse while a cabin explodes behind him?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Jerkface posted:

Hello,

I want to bring Mean Guns into this thread, because its essentially one of the first "Battle Royale" type pieces of fiction to closely mimic the actual popular video games of today and because it came out in 1997 wow! 2 Years before even the original Battle Royale novel! I know that "fight to survive" is not a new idea but this movie has all the hallmarks of the current BR obsession.

synopsis: 100 people, who have betrayed The Syndicate, are gathered in a prison opening the next day. They are given weapons and 6 hours to kill each other. The 3 remaining share $10,000,000.

Starring: Christopher Lambert (RIP), ICE-T, and uhhhhh

Its a quintessential 90's action flick, incredibly sanitized violence, lots of shooting, few to none squibs, everyones running around with deagles and poo poo. It has a lot of heart and Lambert & Ice-T both chew up the scenery like no ones business in this flick.

Just as part of genre, it has all the staples that would soon become a video game craze: Everyone starts without weapons and has to get them, the arenas locked off and you die if you go outside the zone, & everyones lootin.

As a film though it has its charm. There are some decent banter between the main dudes, Lambert kills it (literally) as a creepy weirdo (prophetic role as a pedophile type guy in this given his epstein express flight logs), and Ice-T is great. There are some fun little side characters like 2 bozos, a prostitute lady, and the various dopey gang members.

Spoilers for the end: Even though overall the action is only OK, it does have one of my favorite bits of these 90s action films which is when the main protagonist team splits off and "D" the lady assassin gets got by Christopher Lambert's "Lou", when he appears hanging behind her and garrotes her. Just like, where did he come from? And then of course the end is rigged against Lou and they dont even give him a loaded gun for the final mexican stand off.

It is a great "game night" movie as you don't need to think to process anything that is happening and it has plenty of intentional and unintentional laughs.

Clips: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7ScvOp65Gk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwwmOtFx5CQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDAGUDlBKOM

I love this movie. Getting Tommy Jarvis from Friday the 13th VI and Chozen from Karate Kid 2 and having them be best murder bros is :hellyeah:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Passenger 57 and Drop Zone make for a hell of a double feature. Add in Blade and Demolition Man, Snipes was really up next, loving feds did him dirty.

E: on an unrelated note, the thread titles been bugging me, mostly because it’s in reference to a tv show, not a movie.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Some motherfuckers are always running dorky like Steven Seagal.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Who would win in a fight, Gemini Man or Glimmer Man?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I got to see Bloodfist at the New Beverly Cinema with Don the Dragon Wilson in person. Best story he told was asking Roger Corman what the movie’s title meant and Corman telling him “its whatever you want it to be!”

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Movie should’ve ended with a de-aged version of the John Rambo from first blood gutting the roided our golem that’s been parading around in Stallone’s skin suit for the past 30 years.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Oh hell yeah, Tubi has Cocaine Wars.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The Hunted owns so loving much, the simplicity is its beauty.

Like, even the title is utilitarian.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

And Cash closes it out too.

When I hear him say “god said to Abraham, kill me a son,” it makes me want to wooo like ric flair.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Is it common for second units to shoot most of the action in films? I was reading this interview with Christopher Nolan and he mentioned he doesn't have a second unit, he shoots everything himself. Which made me wonder, I understand that movies are huge and a logistical nightmare, but wowie why would you want to direct an action movie...but not shoot the action yourself? Maybe that's not as common as I think? Some behind the scenes stuff for John Wick 3 showed Chad Stahelski on set and by the camera for just about every sequence.

Something 40% of T2 is all second unit, including most of the big stunts like the LA River chase.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Shageletic posted:

I watched Toxic Avenger for the first time at an outdoor theater.

The movie loving rocks. Bizarre, hilarious, weirdly uplifting. No fat, just fun things happening every scene. And it ends before it gets old.

First Troma movie i watched from beginning to end. Then Kabukiman came on, too long imo, fell asleep in parts.

Any other Troma flicks as tight as Toxic 1?

Toxic Avenger, Terror Firmer, and Toxie IV: Citizen Toxie form a very nice trilogy that kinda pays homage to the timeline of Troma itself.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Shageletic posted:

You ever read the interview where Kurt Russell comes and out and says he directed Tombstone and told Cosmos to take a nap or something for the entire shoot?

That movie was really made in the editing room. There’s a lot of montages in it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Band of the Hand is on Tubi. If you like 80s Michael Mann movies, check this out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I always get End of Days and Stigmata mixed up.