Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Project A has an homage to Keaton (or perhaps Harold Lloyd) hanging from the clock tower, except on Project A Chan actually falls 60 feet through several awnings before landing in his head.

It’s completely insane.

I’d be hard pressed to pick my favorite Chan movie, but any of them with the Biao and Hung are really high up there. Dragons Forever might be it.

The original Drunken Master is really good too if you don’t mind be more deliberate old style kung fu movie choreography. Chan had a knack for picking the best dudes as villains and then didn’t mind letting them cut loose and overshadow him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

brocked posted:

She was in low budget American action films, and that was the problem. Awful choreography, over serious plots, a dull, cheap looking world of mediocrity. It's why you can't go back to watching Chuck Norris movies the same after seeing, say, Police Story.

She did Hong Kong movies too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh8KnmRvqd0

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Snowman_McK posted:

Chan says that clock tower stunt was one of the two that came closest to killing him. He cracked his skull. Then cracked it again in jumping to a tree in Armour of God.

Yea, the Operation Condor one apparently caused blood to shoot out of his ears and left him with a hole in his skull.

For whatever personal flaws he has you can’t fault the man for his dedication to getting things just right.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Snowman_McK posted:

Chan is a lunatic perfectionist. There's a stunt in 'The Young Master' where he spins a fan through the air, then catches it. He says it was the hardest thing he's done. 140 takes.

He apparently has mild ocd, which is not at all surprising.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I rewatched The Crow recently and it holds up surprisingly well and is really enjoyable from top to bottom with some cracking characters. Soundtrack also owns super hard.

And I agree with the above spoiler.

The Crow is completely earnest in its melodrama which is really refreshing after years of detached, irony drenched action/comedy movies.

Batman vs Superman feels like sort of a spiritual successor to the Crow in that it’s similarly dark and moody, unapologetic about its weirdness, and completely sincere.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

The crow is so so good. It’s also a solid reminder that it is possible to make a sincere and earnest movie based on a pretty out there premise, and that it’s not necessary to include quips and irony to remind the audience not to take it too seriously.

It’s a movie that’s perfectly happy to wallow for a while in angst, melancholy, or sappiness without immediately going out it’s way to apologize and change the tone.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Narzack posted:

I really liked this one, even though it was sold to me a lighter version of I Saw the Devil. Fortunately, I was able to pretty quickly reset my expectations, and got to enjoy a ferocious, bloody action movie. And that knife fight at the end. . . .YOWZA!

I love both I Saw The Devil and The Man From Nowhere so if anyone has more recommendations along those lines post em.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Narzack posted:

That's a great descriptor. He has that sense of incessant motion and bounce. I just rewatched Dragons Forever, and as much as I worship Jackie Chan, i think Biao's work in that movie is just so much better.

I’ve always thought Biao was the most physically talented of the trio. Jackie was always a little limited, comparatively, he’s just so good at blending his acting with his fighting that he could go further.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

Oh yeah I like them too (e.g. John Wick) but sometimes it can get kind of gross if they're not careful with the script

I love the genre but it’s definitely almost always a reactionary power fantasy where the targets of vengeance are whatever poor group is being publicly maligned at the time, be it “urban youths” or swarthy Muslims in Europe or whatever.

That’s why John Wick is the best of then, because social conscience doesn’t even twinge at the thought of puppy killers being violently murdered.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Jarhead is an excellent movie but definitely not an action movie.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

drat, RIP. He was super talented.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Man, RRR owns so hard

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Watched Raging Fire on Hi-Yah and thought it was drat good. Got mix of gunplay and martial arts. Donnie Yen has still got it and Nicholas Tse seems like he’s having a ball playing the bad guy.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

RRR owns and is a great example of how good or bad CGI are ultimately pretty irrelevant to the quality of the movie, outside of the real extremes on the bad side. Some of it is dodgy but the whole movie is done with such confidence and energy that you might think “that looks a little off” but it never intrudes on your enjoyment. The effects are good enough to get the point across, which is all that matters.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

dokmo posted:

Scott Adkins interviewed Eric Jacobus on his most recent show, creator of excellent martial arts shorts over the years. Which led me to see what EJ is up to these days, and I see he made a really good video essay on screen kicking recently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QlYP4IfyqU

The tldr of that is, surprisingly no one had put athletic kicks on screen until Bruce Lee came along. That is bonkers to me considering the amount of martial arts talent on film in the 60s.

Awesome video. Cool kicks are what got me into martial arts and martial arts films when I was a kid.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Maxwell Lord posted:

(See how the Rocky movies feature everyone taking way more punches than a real boxer could be reasonably expected to survive.)

Clearly someone needs to watch Gatti v Ward 1 and 2.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

The John Wick movies have gotten too long and are overstuffed with pointless world building but I’ll keep watching that garbage because it’s got well shot cinematic violence and dogs.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Tom Cruise's massive success with "I am actually doing this! Yes we did this practical!" shows that these bloodless digital decisions do have a cost on the audience and that people are looking for some sense of authenticity from their blockbuster action movies.

For me personally the appeal of a good stunt is the sense of awe that a real person actually did that. It’s like the Tony Jaa thing above…it’s immeasurably cooler because its a real dude flipping and kicking and these are real people falling off balconies and getting kicking into backflips and so on, all with very little “trickery”. That’s really Jackie Chan sliding a few stories down a light display in a mall and then falling into a shop.

If you could somehow replace all of that with CGI that looked 100% convincing it would still be way less interesting to me because I’m not surprised or awed that a computer can draw a person doing crazy kicks or falling multiple stories without dying. It’s the difference between watching a magician do a trick and watching a CGI rendition of that same trick.

CGI gunplay doesn’t really bother me because theres nothing especially awe inspiring about fake shooting with a plastic gun vs fake shooting with blanks. One usually looks more convincing and Heat is a much better movie for being done practically but if you could do heat 100% with CGI it wouldn’t affect the quality of the movie to me in the same way that turning Jackie Chan into CGI or a robot would.

Anyway, don’t want to restart the argument, just wanted to give a different perspective.

Edit: I posted this before scrolling to the next page and seeing the Police Story stunt posted. Great minds. I love that movie.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jun 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

B-Rock452 posted:

I actually just rewatched Heat last night because a buddy of mine is selling Heat related strongman shirts and it got me interested in it and there are several instances of CGI flashes that are extremely noticable but the sound more than makes up for it. The crack of the shots and brass hitting the asphalt are just fantastic.

The sound effects in Heat definitely help sell the gunplay to an absurd degree.