Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
I think a lot of Seagal's early movies work because (at least on screen) he looks like a pretty big guy and half his moves just involves him pushing people smaller than him around. I can't really picture his fighting style working if he was closer in size to anyone he fights on screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
I kind of like that there is no back and forth with Seagal's fights, they always make his opponents just absolute scumbags (much like segal himself) so him snapping limbs and just steamrolling his way through people is pretty cathartic.

I forget what movie it was but I really like the payoff of the guy throwing the puppy out the window and him kicking his rear end at the end of the movie.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
Oh yeah I definitely agree that it would get old and should preface that I have only actually seen 4 Steven Seagal movies. (Five if you count Executive Decision as one). But for those 4 his style works.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
My wife and I have attempted to watch Jui Jitsu twice now and I legitimately can't tell you anything about it. It's really really bad and I am pretty much the target audience for movies like that.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

brocked posted:

Since nobody's mentioned it so far, I am psyched to see Warrior got picked up for a 3rd season on HBO Max

Its easily my favorite series from the past few years and super psyched that it's coming back. The cast announcement was so cute, everyone was just so happy.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

Me too, the movie is now out for rent, although it's the $20 "theater rental" price. I rarely spend that much for a rental but I was really looking forward to this one.

It's worth it. My wife and I watched it last night and it's really good. I appreciate when movies use Daniel Bernhardt as comic relief.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Which Hong Kong actioners do I need to watch then? I haven't seen Hard Boiled in probably 20 years now...

https://twitter.com/HeadExposure/status/1385225205962919940?s=20

Thank you for reminding me to do my monthly Just Watch check for Hard Boiled. One day it will actually stream somewhere.

I have such great memories of that movie, I used to rent it from this super shady video store I could walk to and I remember my parents had to sign something on their membership that would allow me to rent rated R movies as a kid. That was the movie that really got me into action movies and definitely opened my eyes to more than just standard american movies.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

Depending how you judge them I'd either say early van damme, drive with dacascos, or the matrix

I just rewatched the under siege knife fight and ugh

Lethal Weapons final fight had a pretty sweet triangle choke

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
Friday night I fell asleep watching The Replacement Killers on prime, when I woke up Saturday to just finish watching I found it was no longer free :(

It is a great movie though, Chow Yun-Fat is soo good in it.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
Well my monthly routine of hopping on just watch and seeing if Hard Boiled is available for streaming anywhere is over. Apparently two michelobs is enough for me to make a drunken Amazon purchase because I finally said gently caress it and bought the DVD. It arrived today so gonna sit back and finally rewatch the movie that made me fall in love with action movies.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

If it's English language, not American , why not avengement, seized, ninja 2, various other Scott Adkins movies

I was going to post Ninja, Shadow of a tear, but avengement is really awesome and is mean little revenge flick.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
I watched Cobra last night and man that is the quintessential 80s action movie. Satanic axe gangs, judges letting everyone go, weird dance numbers where some lady rubs against a robot while people clang axes together and it's all played extremely straight. Really just an all time great movie

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

All I remember about Sabotage is there is a character named "neck" in it so I am happy that movie is in the top ten

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
I wouldn't call it a straight up action movie but Riders of Justice is fantastic and kind of a deconstruction of revenge movies. Mads Mikkelsen is just fantastic and the supporting cast is great as well.

I will say that while there is no sexual assault depicted there is talk of it in several scenes and there is one scene in particular that I had to actually pause after and take a break (I used to do forensic interviews of child victims for investigations and the one scene bought a shitload of memories back) so just be aware.

That being said again it's an incredible movie and I highly recommend it.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Lumbermouth posted:

Though I'm still stoked to see Sanada, Chapter 3 wouldn't have been half as good as it was if Dacascos wasn't in it. He was so charming and weird.

The Art of Action episode he did was awesome and it turns out that Dacascos is really that charming and weird in real life as well.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
Sons of Anarchy. 1st and 98 percent of the 2nd season was really really good and then in the last 15 minutes of the season finale they all end up in Ireland somehow.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

He was super smart to do his Art of Action series during quarantine and I almost guarantee that helped get him this.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
I just posted my thoughts in the streaming thread but essentially it's a really really bad movie but the future war parts filled me with such a sense of dread that it's an almost recommend. Like even now I am still thinking about how hopeless they made the fighting seem.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
Gangs of London is available for purchase on streaming services now and man Gareth Evans shoots some really dynamic and awesome fight scenes. Hoping to get a chance to binge through it over the next few days but the first episode was really good.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

got some chores tonight posted:

that is honestly one of my least favourite scenes/episodes in the show

a bunch of special forces are just walking into doorways to get shot in the head. Then you find out they had grenades the whole time, obviously just in time for the travellers to steal them to kill more of them

It looks cool but it's just dumb.

I am generally fine with looks cool but just dumb, a lot of the gun stuff in some British shows is pretty bad (with the exception of Strike Back where you had kit and tactics change over the course of the show as some real world stuff evolved) but man the fighting in this show makes me wince with how visceral and violent it gets. Which is a good thing because I had been sad that Evans hadn't released any new action movies in a while.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
Definitely a fan of the practical stuff but (and oh god I know this makes me a giant nerd) but I always appreciate when movies or shows take the time to train their actors with modern (or period appropriate) tactics and gear. In Strike Back, Stonebridge is easily one of the most competent actors I have seen with a handgun and like I said the way they wore their gear during the show evolved as some changes came down due to all the wars going on.

That being said I really don't mind if poo poo is wrong as long as it's enjoyable (I have watched hard boiled like seven times since finally buying the DVD) but I also really like when stuff gets thrown in that maybe an untrained person wouldn't notice. Oddly enough the show Barry was one of the best examples of this specifically when he and the other marine raid the warehouse. Also please don't judge me for nerding on about this.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Shageletic posted:

wanna go more into the Barry example? I dont know much about military tactics.

The scene where Barry and the other marine hit the warehouse is fantastic. They move really really well together and you can see how they they are covering differing fields as they move. Their reloads are also really really good, its really easy to miss but Barry does tac reloads from his vest whenever there is a pause in the fighting (I forget if he has an emergency reload mag on his belt but he also does a fantastic emergency reload during the fight that he obviously spent a lot of time practicing for.) The way they clear the rooms is really good as well, each of them sticks to their sectors when they enter a room and in typical marine fashion, when poo poo goes south they get super aggressive (well the one guy does) and it's been a while since I have seen it but I am fairly confident they don't muzzle each other.

Another more recent example of a little thing people might not notice is in Wrath of Man during the big trailer scene, when Statham goes to start throwing the money into the truck, you can see on his belt he undid the snap on one of his mag pouches so he can reload faster.

Tac reload-transitioning to a full magazine during a break in action

Emergency reload- reloading after running out in the middle of engaging a target.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Oh you mean

Also bonus

:cool:

I do some part time firearms instruction and at the end of some simunition days we will split into teams and try to do John Woo stuff all through the shoothouse. It has foam furniture/tables and diving into a room with two guns out is incredibly fun. The getting shot 20 times after you land since it's impossible to hit anything is not.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
Scott Adkins is officially in John Wick 4!

Also if you are a Jean-Claude Van Damme fan, check out The Last Mercenary on Netflix. Really funny and has decent action as well. If you liked Jean-Claude Van Johnson you will like this.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
It will probably be like 3 where you had all the gun stuff against faceless randoms and then awesome fights with Mark Dacascos, Yahan Ruhian and Cecep Rahman. Which I think works pretty well and provided a nice break in the action.

The fight in 3 with the guys from the raid is so good, you can tell they just had a ton of fun making it and it really utilized everyone's size really well.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

clockworkjoe posted:

Yeah, JCVD fridays are an excuse to do an online hangout with my brother and some friends. He's way more into JCVD than I am but it has been fascinating to watch the highs and lows of JCVD's career. What's interesting is JCVD has not entirely checked out like Bruce Willis or Steven Seagal. There's some good movies in his later career like Universal Soldier: Regeneration and Day of Reckoning - some ensemble pieces that are fine like Swelter and Welcome to the Jungle (a comedy!) and of course JCVD the film itself is great. On the other hand, he made a lot of films with HK directors like Ringo Lam and some of them are just miserable. In Hell is a mean-spirited prison movie without any redeeming elements.

I really enjoyed Last Mercenary on Netflix. Definitely in the mold of Jean Claude Van Johnson but had some good action.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I gotta be honest, the trailer for this looked really bad.

Yeah I love Adkins and will probably rent it day of release but yeah the trailer is really not great. I mentioned it before but he isn't that good with firearms and it's pretty noticable at times in his movies so hopefully he got some actual training before this filmed.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
Going to watch One Shot tomorrow but decided to check out the new Josh Hartnett/Frank Grillo movie Ida Red. Honestly it was a pretty good crime thriller right until the final action scene which was horrible. It was shot so poorly with lots of weird close ups, most of the extras had obviously never even held a gun before, had no sense of pacing and just ground the entire movie to a halt. Also the characters were reloading multiple times throughout and I have no idea where they got the magazines from. Which is a shame since before this it was a pretty mean little movie and I was enjoying it

Also The Harder They Fall on Netflix is freaking awesome. Completely stacked cast and one of the most fun movies I have seen in years.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
Day of Reckoning is really really good. The final twenty minutes just rules and the movie is a really cool combo of horror/action.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Grendels Dad posted:

I would not be surprised to hear that JCVD was so drat high on that set that he wasn't really sure which movie this was even supposed to be.

At least my general impression of the man in the 90s was that he did mountains of cocaine, I apologize to him if that's not true.

Pretty sure it's true, I always heard he was just blitzed out of his mind on the street fighter set. For what it's worth I really like his recent stuff. Jean Claude Van Johnson should have gotten another season and Last Mercenary on Netflix is really really funny.

Also check out Raging Fire the new Donnie Yen movie. Just watched it and it has some awesome stunts and gunplay.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

void_serfer posted:

Way of the Gun is so goddamn good.

The "Game" trilogy starring Yusaku Matsuda is also excellent, if you can find a way to watch those. Very much a Seijun Suzuki meets John Wick situation and I'd argue that Matsuda has just as much, if not more of a screen presence as Sonny Chiba.

Way of The Gun rocks, I remember seeing it in theaters and just loving the action although the plot gets way too confusing for its own good. It is also one of those movies that just nails the type of gear and tactics/movement used during that time period were which as a huge nerd I appreciate.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

VROOM VROOM posted:

One Shot is sick nasty (good), just an unexpectedly good film as well. I'm on the hunt for more action-horror like that and The Night Comes For Us.

Headshot is from the same stunt group that did The Night Comes for Us and is pretty awesome and brutal.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
Chapter 3 has the best action and set pieces but despite seeing it like 20 times I legit don't really remember the plot at all. I couldn't tell you why he goes to Morocco or ends up in the desert but holy poo poo Mark Dacascos is just freaking awesome in it and yeah the knife museum is hilarious and awesome.

Basebf555 posted:

Casting Donnie Yen and Scott Adkins was a good start in convincing me that they might actually be able to do it though.

Edit: fixed that for you...

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

With Adkins I worry that they may waste him, I've just seen it happen before and it's so disappointing. I have no idea why he even agreed to be in American Assassin, there's no way they paid him enough for that to be worth it.

Donnie Yen I don't worry about, I just find it hard to believe that you cast Donnie loving Yen in a John Wick movie and then waste him.

They're not worth watching in the action movie sense, they're 2000s American blockbusters with all that entails. But I do enjoy them because they're extremely goofy and they didn't try to make GI Joe something that it's not.

I love Adkins but if they have him in any roll where he has to shoot a gun it will be a waste. I haven't seen one shot yet so maybe he got some training but he really isn't that great with firearms (not that John Wick is that realistic outside of looking cool)

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Jimbot posted:

Chow Yun-Fat would be a perfect addition to the Wick franchise. He was the first and best of the cool gunslingers.

I finally just caved after a year of waiting for Hard Boiled to come out on streaming and bought the DVD and holy poo poo "cool" is definitely the way to describe him. His nonchalant lean/slouch is just such an iconic look.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
If you have been putting off seeing One Shot, definitely check it out. I really enjoyed it, the action was honestly very well shot, and it looks like Adkins actually got some firearms training which was nice since that's usually the weakest part of his action movies. Definitely one of my favorite Scott Adkins movies now. My one complaint , and I know I am being a giant dork here, but good god whoever was in charge gearing up the seals did a horrible job. All their kit was random Russian surplus and I have no clue what Adkins was actually wearing.

But overall it was awesome and the scene where Scott Adkins is hunting guys down with his knife ruled

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
If you are really looking for some 90s deep dive action movies, Live Wire with Pierce Brosnan is pretty fun. Go in blind for a fun time.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
The books are great. I read all of them over the pandemic cause I needed something easy and predictable cause everything was/is on fire

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Ulio posted:

Started watching Reacher after people here said its good. Like it so far. I did try watching Banshee few years ago, the character was not believable for me. This dude who is playing Reacher is built like a brickshit house. He really is menacing and the action so far is better than Banshee. I know people love Banshee here, maybe I need to rewatch it again since so many people say its good but it just didn't stick for me.

The first two episodes of banshee can drag a little but if the end of the 3rd doesn't do it for you, you probably won't be a fan of the series as a whole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Jerkface posted:

The Reacher books are that genre of entertaining read where you get to learn something about some completely unrelated subjects because its relevant to Reacher's case and the author obviously researched it and Reacher is on the spectrum enough to either recite the wiki to his partners or think it in his head.

The books themselves follow a few different formulas:

1. Someone from his past specifically seeks out his help
2. He gets randomly caught up in something
3. He sees a problem and decides to fix it

Yeah I read all of them while my wife was sick/the pandemic was going on. Super easy reads and there is never any doubt what will end up happening (Reacher punches people to death).