Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Fuckin watch Dredd again.

I mean duh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
That's an accurate assessment of the movie, it's modern day exploitation. I liked it but I can 100% see where people who don't are coming from.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
It actually rules extremely hard.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Priest is pretty okay, certainly not the worst movie about cowboy vampires you could watch.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
You might as well turn it off after the intro.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Man Headshot sure loves to show the murder of random innocents. Left a bad taste in my mouth. How's The Night Comes For Us in that regard?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
What is it with all those Netflix movies that sound great on paper but end up being forgettable in the execution despite the obvious talent and money behind them?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
No way John Wick 2 is better than 1, how could anyone think that.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Pretty sure putting millions of people into concentration camps makes you the bad guy irl

HorseLord posted:

i agree america should stop

also agreed

married but discreet fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Dec 7, 2019

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Not to sound too edgy, but I was led to believe that The Night Comes For Us would have considerably amped up levels of gore, but I'd say it's a step down from Raid 2 or Headshot.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Awh, Lady Snowblood is much worse than I expected, which I guess was far too much. My feelings constantly changed from hopeful to disappointed and it never quite got to the point where I felt like it was doing anything really well or interesting. Female Prisoner Scorpion is just so much better in every single category and the movie made me wish I was watching that.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Ok how about this, you go see Aliens and then lock yourself into your home for 2 weeks, never coming into contact with anyone. Worth it?
Not worth it, Aliens is overrated

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Watched The Hunted. Intense dad energy, excellent knife fights.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I definitely woo'd when it came up.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Is there anything like the classic Shaw Bros movies still being made nowadays? I'm thinking One-Armed Swordsman and stuff like that.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
It's a great way for boors to feel sophisticated about movies and to give any random movie cinematic clout.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Uwais is in Beyond Skyline, how is he in that and how bad is the movie? I saw the first and aside from the weird poo poo at the end it sucked rear end.

It's loving amazing, no joke. It goes exactly where you would want an alien invasion movie with the crew from The Raid to go. I was hooting and hollering to myself all throughout the ending.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I actually thought the first one wasn't that bad, but there's really no reason to watch it if you only want alien vs machete action.

edit: Thinking about it, it's sad that basically everyone who will watch this movie will know about the Raid connection. It's definitely set up to be a huge surprise when it finally, and very randomly, happens.

married but discreet fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 29, 2020

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
It's called code switching
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Na4UvRIhu4

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
A Prayer Before Dawn is not just another white supremacist wet dream like Brawl In Cell Block 99, right?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Female Prisoner 701 is so much better than Lady Snowblood in literally every measurable and unmeasurable way, it's not even funny.
The downside is it's absolutely a skeevy exploitation film full of sexual violence.
Sequel is less good, still better than Lady Snowblood, third one is almost as good as the first again.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Nemesis 2 is the sequel to Albert Puyn's strangely dope and influental 1992 cyberpunk action movie Nemesis. It trades genderfluid cyborg gunplay with being bizarrely horny for an extremely muscular white East African tribal bikini babe and a weak predator knockoff sent back in time by the machines to kill her. It could have been way worse for such a disastrously sounding pastiche of many better movies, but I was entertained throughout.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

midge posted:

How can you say this and not provide a Top 5?!

I second this request, rank all Pyuns

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I'm watching Korean action movie The Villainess right now, and while it's quite boring and just not very good overall, I am incredibly impressed with some of the camerawork/editing. That motorcycle fight scene is mind-blowing.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Salute of the Jugger loving whips rear end

It's got a cult following which turned it into a real sport

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jugger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r2ZVE_cX7o

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Is Asia still making low budget wuxia movies nowadays or is everything an epic Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon affair? Amazon Prime's huge backlog of Shaw Bros and associated studio movies is so drat soothing to watch.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

For being a very entertaining sleeper hit in a sea of mediocrity, I award US: Regeneration the coveted Walrus Certified Good Time.

Now watch US: Day of Reckoning for perhaps the most :catstare: horror/action movie you'll ever see.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

fenix down posted:

Based on the first paragraph I think omega already saw and liked it. (Which is the correct response!)

Oh yeah, clearly my memory lasts only a couple sentences. Which means I can rewatch the Hyam's Universal Soldiers.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
A clip of The Final Master was posted a while back and made me watch it, and it's an extremely dope blend of classic wuxia choreography with a very arthouse sensibility for moviemaking. This is exactly the kind of movie I was looking for. Give me more modern, non epically scaled kung fu movies about rival schools, nerding out about fighting styles and masters teaching students the ancient arts.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Taintrunner posted:

Dead or Alive & Dead or Alive 2: Birds (3.5, 4) are loving hilarious and surreal and the contrast of Japanese slapstick comedy with brutal, relentless violence, is really something to behold. It's really something you have to experience for yourself.

Dead or Alive 2 is definitely the best, but all 3 Dead or Alives are amazing in their own regard, and all have an absolutely incredible ending.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Halloween Jack posted:

Terminator Salvation was a troubled production that resulted in a convoluted mess of a story, but it looks great. It's worth watching for the production design and cinematography.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXWIBlRiSqg

Was that scene in the theatrical cut? This looks great. I remember absolutely hating it when it came out and this is making me want to rewatch it.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
The movie would also be over very quickly. Alternatively the writers would have to think of some other way to convey danger to the protagonist other than them getting thrown around.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Grendels Dad posted:

I don't know why you're so harsh to James Cameron. I mean, the Terminator could have killed Sarah's roomy's boyfriend like he did those punks, but I liked the scene.

Naw, I don't mind throwy terminators or whatever else is required for a movie to work the way it does.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
drat, I gotta watch Omega Doom.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
From a few pages back, thank you to whoever mentioned Omega Doom. I love Albert Pyun's absolute confidence in his scripts and movies.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
The Robowar score definitely blows Predator out of the water tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDeC-veIPXY

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

ynohtna posted:

Seems good timing for Accented Cinema to throw out this overview of sleaze:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVZ3duVORbo

I have simultaneously seen far too many, but also far too few of these.

I wish these movies were easily available, I'm just salivating at the thought of all of these!

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Neo Rasa posted:

Same with The Butterfly Murders, this was Tsui Hark's first movie and it starts out seeming like a sort of typical wuxia flick and then...becomes like an almost giallo/slasher movie with a an all black armor-clad killer whose identity is a mystery and everything.

The story's about these folks getting murdered so a reporter enlists a fighter he knows and she gets some allies too and they all venture to this supposedly abandoned estate to investigate, but then they find a cave network under it stuff happens. It's really cool to have these kinds of character archetypes in this claustrophobic setting, the story is actually pretty cool, and it does a good job making things feel dangerous. Also sort of notable is that none of the weaponry in it is like of the "graceful" or "noble" variety, everyone's using axes, clubs, explosives, like it's not a graphic movie in any way but it really has this great dangerous/brutal tone to it I appreciate. And it's got some really cool imagery:

Late to echo that recommendation, with the additional note that the subtitles on Amazon are laughably bad. Like, I was crying from laughing so hard. And the ending is absolute batshit.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
My guess is glasses are a pain to film since they reflect a lot of stuff that's not supposed to be in the movie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I totally checked out of John Wick after the second, the worldbuilding was so cringey. They really forgot what made the first one so good - the concept of a man insanely brutally slaughtering hundreds of people cause they killed his dog.