Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I hated the Fury vs cops scene but can’t remember why. I do know part of it was I watched 8 Diagram Pole Fighter the morning I went to see it and...well...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Professional fighters aren't confused during a fight. Bourne isn't confused when he's in his car chases, he's planning his moves the whole time. Bad action director.

Yeah he gets taken out like a Z-level mook.

Professional fighters describe their own fights inaccurately all the time, not least cause of all the head trauma

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I never did see that prequel from a few years ago.

It’s very good in point of fact

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Narzack posted:

Huh. The way I saw it was that she knocked his gun barrel, pointing it to the floor as he was getting ready to fire at Affleck. He pulled the trigger and Woo'd himself into the air.

I’m confused how anyone is not seeing this? Just because it slows a bit when the gun is moving down? Woo loves to throw in 2 seconds of slow mo to clarify what’s going on (guess it didn’t work here)

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Timby posted:

Galaxy Quest is ... decent enough, but the "hurr hurr it's the real tenth Star Trek movie" meme has been nauseating for like fifteen years or whatever.

It was also totally botched when Bob Wise fired Joe Jennings and replaced him with Harold Michelson; Michelson designed the bridge sets so badly that Dick Kline had to light them at like 10 foot-candles, resulting in all the lighting being very unflattering coming from the floor, because the lights on the consoles were literally melting at full brightness.

I'm not gonna quibble with you and I'm not a Star Trek dude, but the space shots in TMP are the best thing in the series by such a wide margin that it straight up doesn't loving matter

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Halloween Jack posted:

With Ghosts of Mars, which is the first one I was thinking of, $28 million is probably too little to work with for a sci-fi film set on another planet. But there's no excuse for Vampires or Escape from LA. He made far better films in a similar milieu for far less money. The former is an embarrassing contrast to Bigelow's Near Dark, and the latter is an embarrassing contrast to its own prequel, both made for a fraction of the cost.

What really sticks out to me about Ghosts of Mars is the same thing that sticks out about Waterworld, Super Mario Brothers, and plenty of other 90s action movies is how loving dull the direction is. Everything is shot in this evenly-lit, straight-ahead functional boring style. Every action movie has to hit a very specific set of action beats. Carpenter's films after In the Mouth of Madness suck because they look less and less like he actually directed them.

(The Ward is just an alright horror film; it hinges on a predictable twist.)

Have you watched it more than once? I upped it from "interesting failure" to "top tier Carpenter" after a rewatch.

The Ward, by contrast, looks fantastic.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Harime Nui posted:

Bruh, that's very much the intended irony.

See, governments as a rule don't admit defeat, ever. That's why we got a bullshit peace-treaty in Vietnam before we scurried off knowing the North was going to eat the South. No one is going to admit the Middle East was and is a giant clusterfuck. We declared victory before 'deescalating' our presence there. Mission Accomplished, remember?

More directly (and as brawleh’s sick quote highlights) it’s this for some but for the more clear eyed, chaos is a goal itself. Social and economic stability are anathema to the imperial project. Hard men may believe they are making hard decisions to solve a problem, but for another strata of warmonger their being wrong is exactly, and usefully, the point

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Halloween Jack posted:

This is my favourite bathroom fight. The villain, Alain Figlarz, is also the choreographer and was a stuntman in The Bourne Identity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmU6mCGfVHE

It's a cyberpunk film with a great premise, bogged down with very by-the-numbers police procedural tropes. (It also suffers from having two parallel storylines that don't come together until like the last 20 minutes.) Still entertaining. There was a featurette on the DVD showing how they filmed it, and discussing the problems of filming fight scenes in tight spaces.

This is pretty good, I like that my man had a knife the whole time and didn’t bust it out until round 2

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Snowman_McK posted:

https://media1.tenor.com/images/dc8f4dfbc72dd368d0622b5ba2825419/tenor.gif?itemid=8933764

pictured: a 145 pound man with no knockout power.

I know you were probably being facetious, but i just love this gif.

There's a great gag in 'Hard Boiled' where 'Mad Dog' turns on his boss and shoots him in the chest at point blank range, but only once so it does no damage and is never mentioned again.

The guitar riff works pretty well. Then Fred Durst starts and its terrible. It's a microcosm of limp bizkit.

Also, I might be wrong, but I think it's Tom Cruise's first proper action movie where he punches people and fires guns and stuff.

Jose Aldo is great but definitely hits the ring at over 160. 140 at fight time is more like Demetrious Johnson

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

bullet3 posted:

pho-grittiness.

The Vietnamese places in your town must suck

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

got any sevens posted:

It was neat in Patriot Games when harrison ford is looking at satmaps for a few days and couldnt be sure whether to order a hit squad, then the camp is empty the next day.

This but he does it anyway, the rocket hits a school playground and he sent ccd the email to the wrong address and all their informants get murdered and you’ve got it

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

SleepCousinDeath posted:

Grabbed The Matrix. Thanks!

The only reason I'm up this late is because I'm watching Cowboy Bebop: The Movie, which is relevant to this thread since it has some pretty good action.

I never got into the series but it’s a solid movie. Local rep is doing that, Akira, Perfect Blue and some other thing for an anime week this month and I can’t believe I’m gonna pay to see 3 animes

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Halloween Jack posted:

Hellboy. It's good. He kills a giant with a sword the size of a tree, and later some Beksinski paintings come to life and eat people. It's good.

First positive review I’ve seen, but also the most believable

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Failson posted:

No. What? Noooo. That can't be real.

It is a fantastic bad movie. I hope it gets the cult following it deserves.

What’s bad about it

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

My point was that Failson seems to base his "good bad" decision, in this case, on what some imaginary audience would find interesting or bad about a movie.

I would politely ask him to reconsider. There really is no average movie-goer. My dad loved Blade Runner, introduced me to it when I was young, and we discussed it for hours. His favorite movie of last year was "Date Night". People are complicated.

Maybe I misunderstood his point, tho. If so I apologize.

Every time someone tries to explain good-bad, it comes down to them being ashamed of their own taste

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Failson posted:

No need to apologize, I was poorly contextualizing my thoughts.

I am constantly ashamed of everything about myself, so... Yes, I'll cop to that.

Be strong, comrade. That movie whips

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Halloween Jack posted:

Unfortunately, the things that drag down good-bad movies are actual mistakes. Like, Bronx Warriors 2: Escape from the Bronx would be an all-time classic if it didn't drag in the middle, which makes me reticent to show it to friends. I want to like Underworld but it's just edited like poo poo. There's already a Blade movie with great action but a stupid convoluted plot; it's called Blade 2.

You’re just describing a movie with problems. That’s like...every movie, you don’t have to invent concepts to express the idea that something ain’t perfect

Underworld, for example, is just bad. You just said you don’t even like it

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

thrawn527 posted:

I just can't care about him at all. When he's onscreen, I struggle to keep paying attention. My eyes just drift off of him looking for anything else to lock on to.

Exactly. He embodies that role

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Halloween Jack posted:

"Last Blood?" Really? That's not a thing.

Wanna bet?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Basebf555 posted:

Re: Wu Assassins: Yea it's amazing to see a full 10 episode series that seems to really just exist to showcase Iko's skills. That said, it's definitely cheesy(I find it charming), and Iko really doesn't have enough of a handle on the English language and it effects his ability to act the scenes convincingly sometimes. He's doing his best but sometimes I really need the subtitles to understand him and some of the phrases he uses come out unnaturally because he doesn't really have the rhythm of speaking quite down yet. But hopefully this show will have been a great practice ground for him to improve on that and maybe give himself a chance at higher profile movie roles.

If the fights are good I’m ok with that. Does he fight Mark Dacascos cause would be cool

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Basebf555 posted:

I'm only 3 episodes into it but the answer is probably no, given the character that Dacascos is playing. You'll see what I mean.

The fights are really good though, up to the level you'd expect from Iko.

No I got from the trailer that he’s like, possessed by Dacascos or w/e but that doesn’t rule anything out really

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

dokmo posted:

I don't think this was posted here, but mubi has a very good article on the best action scenes of the last decade.

part one
part two

Anyone who describes Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning as “oneiric” is ok with me

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The order of any list is just to generate controversy. It’s a good watch list with no major omissions except the aforementioned lack of anything from the Indian subcontinent

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

B-Rock452 posted:

My wife and I have been going through the older Jackie Chan movies and it is so frustrating that drunken master ii and Police Story 2 aren't available on Prime. Supercop and Project A are available though and both are a ton of fun

Police story 2 is on criterion, and they’re adding several other of his early films next month

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

dokmo posted:

My faves are 70s exploitation things like Lady Snowblood and Ms 45 and Thriller - A Cruel Picture.

The ultimate revenge stories for me are Bugs Bunny cartoons, where his revenge is so far beyond what the original insult was.

Any mention of Lady Snowblood should be accompanied by Female Prisoner 701: Scorpion, a similarly great revenge movie with the same lead actress. She’s also in several of the Battles Without Honor and Humanity films, which aren’t really revenge movies but almost always have at least one revenge subplot

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Boco_T posted:

Oops I forgot to post my reviews in here for a while, here's a pile of them. Watching a few older ones this week because I signed up for the 7-day trial of Starz on Amazon when I wanted to watch Wayne's World the other day.

The Outpost (2020) - 2/5, Redbox Blu-ray
Difficult to put a rating on this. It's technically well-made, thrilling, and Caleb Landry Jones gives an incredible performance.

But it crushed me. It is unbelievably depressing to watch a movie that is the true story of young men getting killed or traumatized for life for literally nothing. It's infuriating, and nothing is going to change the climate any time soon either.

Villain (2020) - 1.5/5, Netflix
Craig Fairbrass was good but this was so incredibly generic and corny. Not a single interesting story beat to be found. And not enough action to make up for that.

Invincible (2020) - 1/5
Zero budget whole cloth rip of Universal Soldier. Also a weird Johnny Strong vanity project wherein he co-wrote the script and... wrote and performed all the music?

The result is not good. The plot and script are exactly the kind of over-ambitious twisty mess that you hate to see so often from direct-to-video action movies, doubled down with the the sci-fi element that they definitely don't have the money to deliver on. Just make a movie about someone getting revenge for their kidnapped kid!

Marko Zaror is the main positive part of the movie. There are enough watchable action sequences involving him that you do get like 10-15 minutes of entertainment out of the pile. My favorite moment is when he is holding a pistol and somehow simultaneously punches and shoots a guy. Vladimir Kulich is also pretty good.

Most of the gun stuff looks bad because it's CGed in instead of practical. The women in the movie are props. Invincible is not worth your time.

The New Mutants (2020) - 1.5/5, Alamo Drive-In
Felt like a Marvel movie equivalent of a "bottle episode." Script is really bad, but there were a few good ideas and effects inside. Didn't even feel that bored even though literally nothing happens from like minutes 3 through 50 of the film.

Movie should be docked an additional full point for the most heinous "Kentucky accent" I have ever heard, another point the "British people must be stopped" column.

Tenet (2020) - 2/5, Alamo Drive-In
the ultimate "dumb guy who thinks he's smart" movie

Christopher Nolan needs to be stopped. You can't spend the first thirty minutes of your one hundred fifty minute movie with straight exposition of how the world works. Did nobody ever tell this man to show, not tell? If that's the best he can come up with, then he should not get to spend two hundred five million dollars making it.

Completely lost me by the hour mark. Tons of muffled dialogue and the stuff you can hear is so corny. It is impressively made, at least.

I'm almost certainly going to watch this again on some kind of home release with captions, and be mad at myself for doing so.

Taken (2008) - 1.5/5, Starz on Amazon
the daughter got a horse for her birthday so she deserved to get taken

Ticks every box of the things that make me hate an action movie. The only thing worse than the monumentally bad script is the unwatchable editing that turns everything interesting about the action into a complete mess.

Neeson's invincible and omnipotent, there are nothing more than minor obstacles for him around every turn.

12 Rounds (2009) - 3/5, Starz on Amazon
Aidan Gillen is a Joker in this film and he creates an unbelievable amount of chaos. I could not believe how Renny Harlin and the team continued to escalate each step along the way. Truly wild movie, go see it if you haven't.

I really appreciate your write ups

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

midge posted:

Van Damme Top Ten :

1. Sudden Death
2. Bloodsport
3. Hard Target
4. Cyborg
5. Lionheart
6. Kickboxer
7. Timecop
8. Universal Soldier
9. Double Impact
10. Nowhere to Run

1988 to 1993 was absolutely stacked. It's amazing how over he was until Street Fighter. Looking at IMDB Frank Dux wrote The Quest? What the gently caress.

how can you leave out universal solider: regeneration and day of reckoning

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The extremely vile sex assault stuff is the main reason Castor Troy is such a memorable villain. If he's just a generic crime guy the movie is a lot less interesting, there's no particular reason a cop would have trouble pretending to be a gangster, they're already practically the same thing. But this particular cop isn't a sex criminal and has to amp himself up to be a guy who just goes around licking and groping people

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

High Warlord Zog posted:

I was not expecting RRR to be that gory. Lot of cues taken from 300, John Woo and Mel Gibson's historical flicks

MacheteZombie posted:

RRR was loving amazing. Beat action blockbuster in years. I love how it takes the Mel Gibson historical fantasy and updates it with modern action sensibilities like the Zack Snyder style action scenes. The music is wonderful.

While the water/fire imagery could easily be cliche it pulls it off perfectly.

Just great.

It wears its influences on its sleeve, this is definitely the stuff i thought of too. I also see some se asian/thai influence on the choreography, there's some tony jaa in the fighting styles for sure

dokmo posted:

Watched RRR. I can't remember the last time I watched a three hour movie that had three hours' worth of movie in it. It ruled.

I always feel like Indian blockbuster cinema, especially south indian but really to some extent across the board, follows a philosophy of "if you paid for a movie ticket, you get every kind of movie". There gonna be fight scenes, dance scenes, romantic comedy, melodrama, historical commentary, you name it.

Basebf555 posted:

Pretty sure they didn't do that in this case. I remember at least a few times where he speaks English to the English officers.

There's something weird going on with the scene where he convinces the governor to execute Bheem outside the city instead of in the prison, he keeps switching between english and hindi seemingly at random. other than that yeah he uses english when it makes sense for him to.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

null_pointer posted:

Somewhat off topic, but I've seen this before, in all places of a cooking video. The dude would just jump between Hindi and English phrases, without any seeming order to it. It. Maybe it's just something that happens with Hindi speakers?

does anyone know if he does that in the telugu version?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

forest spirit posted:

And it loving rules. Probably the only dodgy effect besides that one tiger close-up during Bheem's wolf trap chase.

All the more endearing imo. Pretty sure I like the movie more for the insano car flip and subsequent tree impalation

e- last week had a bunch of people over for RRR, everyone had a blast

a lot of the cgi is "dodgy" but who gives a poo poo. the problem with that scene is it's like they cut several frames out of the flip, the car just fucken teleports.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

forest spirit posted:

I certainly don't, if that's what you mean, I'm 100% here for the juicy melodrama, ballads, and plans being made wordlessly and executed perfectly, not for cgi

oh no, i just mean i wouldn't say those are the only fake/cartoony looking effects but i don't see that as any kind of problem. the car crash is the only thing in the movie that i think just looks bad

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Scuffy_1989 posted:

A pitch for an action movie.

Ivan Drago is Ukrainian and was banished there after the events of Rocky IV. After Creed 2, he's again on the outs with the Russians.

How about a movie where he takes up arms against the Russian invasion of Ukraine?

lmao what is this

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Caught this in the Greenlight'd thread, "Carter" on Netflix. Not sure how I feel about it but you won't mistake it for anything else:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulPHag30btQ

If only there were a chance the DPRK were actually the good guys in this

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Darthemed posted:

A few weeks ago, something put me in the mood to revisit the Joe Don Baker version of Walking Tall. Not without its rough spots, but it was about as enjoyable of a retribution flick as I remembered, maybe a little better. Browsing around its Letterboxd page led me to Framed, another Joe Don Baker movie, with the same director, released two years after Walking Tall. And while the first movie has a lot of non-action scenes concerning various efforts to clean up the town, once Framed has its story pieces all lined up, it cuts loose with some fantastically grimy '70s fights and stunts. There's one scene in particular (viewable here, if you don't mind some minor spoilers) which must have been insane to set up and execute, the pyros are cut so close on the stuntman. Well worth checking out if you're a fan of sweaty, gritty '70s punch-'em-ups.

his legs very visibly catch fire from the train crash explosion

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Ulio posted:

Watched KGF while I was in my trip in India, it was super hyped up but I thought it was very meh. Nowhere as entertaining as RRR.

I watched Bahubhali 1 after watching RRR. It's not good imo. There is lots of story with very little action and the action is nowhere as stupid crazy as RRR. The main character is literally an reincarnation of a god warrior. I don't remember a single set piece from it. Meanwhile in RRR there is the scene with the attack on Sir Scott's mansion, the intro where the cop catches the bad guy among thousands of people, Sir Scott chase scene, the piggyback action sequence. There is way too many to name. Didn't bother watching Bahubhali 2 after the mediocre first one.

I almost made the same call, but 2 is a huge step up on 1. it's still pretty stupid, but it's way, way better looking and better choreographed. the final fight in 1 is cut to poo poo, guys get hit in the head when their head isn't even in frame, the performers are whiffing moves left and right, it's a mess. the action in 2 is extremely good. it sucks rear end that both movies establish a badass warrior woman who then immediately stops doing anything badass (or indeed even talking in the first movie) once she gets a boyfriend

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

dokmo posted:

Fellow action goons, I am 10 minutes into Carter (it's on netflix), and it is bananas. Imagine a pseudo one take movie, but everything is filmed like the fight scenes in the Villainess.

https://mobile.twitter.com/HeadExposure/status/1555483688619614208

the north koreans turn out to be the bad guys thought don't they :(

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

dokmo posted:

yes, but just a rogue group of north Koreans who want to topple the "current regime"

Interesting

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

CelticPredator posted:

I really disagree with the notion the predator needs to be scary and not cool. I’m sorry but that trick works one time and you can’t do it again. Which is why Predator 2 is the best predator movie because the Predator just gets to be cool and badass through the whole movie. Laying waste to everyone and everything.

It’s the 7th appearance the creature has had in film. Just have fun with it.

Also speaking of Predator 2 and the end credits, what you think is about to go down isn’t quite what we’re shown.

How many times can gray aliens be scary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Absolutely deranged to not find Parasite funny. It’s almost more comedy than thriller. And yeah that’s just the standard mode for Korean movies I think