Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

got any sevens posted:

Hitman's Bodyguard has some pretty good action, couldve been great with a few longer takes for some stunts, but it wouldve made em harder to nail the shot :shrug:
drat funny too, might be the best action comedy of the year.

It was really generic in execution, but not in a way that left me bored. The headline for my review was "Best Action Comedy of 1991," and I meant that lovingly...though I really should've done my research and double checked what classic action-comedies came out in '91, because I'm pretty sure I'm about to get owned in here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Basebf555 posted:

Would that it were so simple

I think that we can assume, at very little risk, that John Wick 3 is a thing that's pretty deep into pre-pro at the moment since 2 made bank and Lionsgate is going to want that poo poo ASAP, while Highlander is just a thing that's being bandied about at the moment and can almost certainly wait its turn.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Scott Porter.

EDIT: drat, new page.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Speaking of movie reboots of old TV shows, how is the Denzel Washington version of The Equalizer? Where would it fall on a scale of The Avengers with Ralph Fiennes and Uma Thurman to The Fugitive?

You mean Denzel Washington Murks Everyone? I like it a hell of a lot. It's got a bit of the same morally patronizing streak that, say, Taken had, but it's a little easier to forgive given the circumstances, and Denzel is ruthless in it. Like, some of his kills are straight-up slasher kills, it's great.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jan 17, 2018

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
You guys talking about Nicolas Cage? Cause this is horror, not action, but distressingly few people know that this is a thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPVicWnq_BU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Wheat Loaf posted:

There was an announcement a while back that Bob Odenkirk will be starring in a John Wick-style action film. Which non-action people would you most enjoy in action movies? My vote would be for Naomi Watts.

Oh, I'd love that. I'd go with Kate Winslet.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Payndz posted:

Can anyone recommend something recent (and good) that would satisfy my itch for some 80s/90s-style squib-and-bloodbag action, preferably with a lone hero facing a small army of bad guys?

If you haven’t seen Banshee the first season will absolutely scratch that itch. Seasons 2 and 3, not so much, but they’re great in a different way and still have moments. Season 4 kinda sucks but the finale’s pretty strong.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Johnston McCulley clearly didn't expect Zorro to catch on, because Don Diego kills his arch-nemesis Captain Ramon in single combat at the end of the first novel, then Ramon is back and no worse for wear in the second one (but he's killed at the end of that one and stays dead). :D

Zorro is, by some measures, the first American superhero. It's his hundredth anniversary next year and I have no idea if there will be anything done to recognise it in movies or books or comics.

There’s some wild poo poo going on with the Zorro rights, so I wouldn’t hold your breath.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Honestly, I just assumed Disney had them. They seem like the sort of thing Disney would own.

They’re held by a private interest that does business with Sony, but a playwright who tried to write a Zorro play has them tied up in a lawsuit alleging intellectual property theft and all sorts of other nastiness.

poo poo is loving bonkers and I can tell you from personal experience (that I’m unable to talk about) that it gets even crazier.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Payndz posted:

The Rock had a huge number of uncredited writers and script-polishers, as well as having Bay's fairly obvious fingerprints all over the minor characters, and was IIRC Don Simpson's last hands-on project before his OD. So it's amazing it works at all, never mind as well as it does.

Off the top of my head, I believe they threw Aaron Sorkin and Robert Towne at that loving thing, which somehow both increased and decreased its chances of working. The Rock is this wild aberration of a movie, and I'm long overdue for a rewatch.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 5, 2018

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Whenever the conversation turns toward Banshee I like to show people this as a teaser.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqRPaucl8r4

There's a LOT of wild cutting that I suspect would irk the usual crowd here, but this is the kind of poo poo you have to get through before you get to Burton/Nola, which really deserves to be seen in context. And anyway, the brutality of it gets through all right.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Mar 8, 2018

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Hey, this is a little off topic, but there was a buddy action movie back in the 90s, MAYBE late 80s, and I think a commercial or a trailer used the tagline “If they could just stand each other...they could stand against anything!”

Does that sound familiar to anyone? I vaguely remember Wesley Snipes, so it might have been one of his team-ups with Woody Harrelson, but I wouldn’t count on it.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

FancyMike posted:

Manhunt (which is up on Netflix now) already felt like John Woo doing John Woo's greatest hits, I'm not sure a remake is really what I want from him right now. I'll probably still go see it opening night though.

You definitely seem more well-versed in Woo’s ins and outs than I am, but for me, casting Lupita friggin’ Nyong’o in the lead pretty much overrides any short-term fears that Woo will be on autopilot.

Speaking of which, a friend of mine really wants to see The Killer but is having a hard time finding it online. If I was going to gift her, what version would you recommend?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

...wait, isn't this the loving Greg Yaitanes (of Banshee fame) Triad show? the one that's Armageddon/Deep Impact-ing with Wong Kar Wai's Amazon show about the same subject matter?

Greg Yaitanes showrunning + Iko Uwais leading and doing fight choreography = I have the biggest loving boner right now that won't go away

Hate to disappoint you, but this isn't it. His name isn't in the press release.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

... :psyduck: so there's a third san francisco triad period show

Actually, this appears to be a sci-fi show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

DivisionPost posted:

Actually, this appears to be a sci-fi show.

Also, near as I can tell, Greg Yaitanes isn't involved in Warrior; it's Banshee's lead writer, Jonathan Tropper. The good news, however, is that he's working on it with Justin Lin.