Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

sean10mm posted:

What's the most exaggerated "The streets are a WARZONE OF CRIME!!!" movie?

Lots of contenders for that one from the 1980s.

Escape from New York seems like the quintessential movie for that. It takes the grim reality of crime in New York in the 70s and 80s and imagines it becoming a total lost cause. Taps into the fear that the city would continue to decline until reaching the rock-bottom of being exclusively populated by criminals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Filmed in St. Louis, because John Carpenter knew you couldn't fake that level of desolation on a set!! (See also, the previously mentioned Trespass)

As a Torontonian I know first hand that New York is rarely New York.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Oh drat, I might be able to go see this.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

UnknownMercenary posted:

Got tickets to see the new John Woo at TIFF. I'm pretty excited, but I'll be seeing it a week after its first showing because those first few screenings sold out by the time the tickets went on public sale.

Same. Seeing it on the 14th. Pretty psyched!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Basebf555 posted:

John Wick 2 also smartly followed in the footsteps of James Bond and the Mission Impossible series by taking the action to exotic locations. People underestimate how great looking locations and competent cinematography of those locations can really lift an action movie to the next level.

Dredd's visuals really helped set it apart from The Raid, which was shot well but had an oppressively ugly and bland colour palette throughout.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

UnknownMercenary posted:

Speaking of Heroic Bloodshed, Manhunt was dope.

Audience loved the dove joke. Doesn't get much better than when it's done by the man himself.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It's not showing anywhere that I can see.

Also happy to hear that Woo made a winner, even if it's not "his best movie" (fuckin' high bar, there, guys!)

I think it really helps if you know what kind of movie it is before you go in. Someone who only half-remembers Hard Boiled and Face/Off might be expecting a totally sincere hardcore gunfight movie. And this is not that. This is all of the same over-the-top Woo action but the tone of it is much funnier and self-aware.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I should have said more self-aware, then. Like lines of dialogue mentioning his other movies or the aforementioned dove joke.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The absolute height of an actor in Hollywood is when they also end up directing and producing. But Jackie Chan is so accomplished and varied in his skills as a movie-maker that merely calling him a triple threat would be an insult.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

`Tis the season, and as the thread title says, yippie ki yay fellow posters!

quote:

All John McClane wants for Christmas is to reunite with his estranged family. But when his wife's office holiday party turns into a deadly hostage situation, he has to save her life before he can get home in time for Christmas! The unconventional fan-favorite movie Die Hard is now an illustrated storybook - complete with machine guns, European terrorists, and a cop who's forced to rely on all his cunning and skills (and the help of a fellow officer) to save the day. Based on Clement Moore's classic "'Twas the Night Before Christmas" and filled with whimsical illustrations, this cleverly reimagined homage is destined to become a holiday classic.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If you'll all please bend over I'll do my best to remove the Christmas trees I shoved up your butts. I might sing a carol while doing it, though, no promises.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

SimonCat posted:

Every come across a movie and wonder if it was secretly influential?

Well, they say the secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

MI: Rogue Nation was a favourite of mine from the last five years. I can watch that movie any time.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Shane Black Friday

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I really don't mind showing off an impressive stunt multiple times. Maybe from watching martial arts movies? I'm thinking of how some movies use slow-mo or speed-ramping and there are probably lots of times where I would have preferred shots from different angles but it has to be reserved for something really drat impressive.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yep, I was thinking almost exclusively of Jackie Chan when I said that.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

That's actually totally believable to me. Trying to convince anyone that All This isn't how things should be would be insanely difficult, not to mention the added hurdle in trying to convince the people who because of their job would have to admit they failed.

I guess you could do it if the changes were super conspicuous, like if next to JFK's motorcade the footage clearly showed a portal open up in thin air that the assassin jumped out of.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

muscles like this! posted:

Just a head's up, Seagal has also "written" a book.

I'm in the middle of reading it now.

Was the original subtitle "The Jew State and the Blackening of America"?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Unoriginal Name posted:

I remember Ecks vs Sever solely for a shot of a cop falling 3 or 4 stories off a building into a car where the camera follows, facing down, the entire fall and impact. To this day, I wonder how they did that shot

The guy's descent is in slow motion the whole way down, which masks his true speed, so I assume it's a slower and controlled fall on a cable. That could be combined with a fake roof and set of windows on the car to crumple and shatter easily.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

sean10mm posted:

Who invented the movie quip? They are worse than Hitler.

I think all you could do is chart the evolution of different styles rather than try to pinpoint the origin of bravado, trash-talking, comic relief, etc. Like you have certain seminal moments or influential characters like James Bond's cold-blooded puns and John McClane's sardonic complaining.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Yes, Top Gun is a martial arts movie. It takes place in a tournament (who willl be Top Gun?), after an accident caused by his own hubris the protagonist doubts his ability to fight (fly) again, etc.

Just replace "flying jets" with "martial arts" and it's absolutely 100% a martial arts action film.

Now I want to see a martial arts tournament fight scene done like a Top Gun dogfight where the two combatants spend most of the time running around the arena trying to find each other, looking over their shoulders frantically, trying to get position behind the other.

And then since F-14s were two-seaters I guess each fighter would also have another one riding piggyback.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wheat Loaf posted:

I know one of the expectations about contemporary action movies is that the lead will get into really good shape for it to the point of physically transforming themselves (Exhibit A: Chris Pratt in Guardians of the Galaxy) but are there any examples of action leads who either wouldn't or couldn't get into shape?

Liam Neeson?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Snowman_McK posted:

Chan is an outlier, because, while he is an absurd super-athlete (even now) he didn't play super athletes, he played determined guys with a bit of luck. And so he wears loose fitting clothing, de-emphasising his physicality. His body posture has a similar effect.

Maybe not super athlete but usually some flimsy reason as to why he might have some physical prowess. And there was often at least one point in a movie where you'd see how in shape he was. The guy was topless in scenes even as late as the Shanghai Knights movies.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Oh my god some of the best theatre experiences I ever had were seeing whatever new Jackie Chan movie was out.

I'll always remember seeing Drunken Master 2 and this one guy way in front of me getting up and yelling "rewind that poo poo!" after Jackie did something especially awesome.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The thing I remember about seeing DM2 in the theater is that people could tell it was an older film, like obviously from the early 90s, yet no one cared because the action was light years ahead of anything going on in American action films at the time. One of the only action films I'd seen at that point where people just stayed through the credits.

And back then seeing a Jackie Chan film, or probably any martial arts film, was like going to a midnight screening: the people in the theatre were there because they were fans.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Snowman_McK posted:

True, but there's a gap between that and, for instance, the constant focus on Bruce Lee's physicality. He was more inclined to fight in a tracksuit than a tank top.

Best example of this is when he gets a tear in his shirt in Enter the Dragon and so he tears off the rest of his shirt entirely.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Is that the one where Hitler shows up at the end in a wheelchair?

And the "Superman!" fight at the end in the wind tunnel.

Speaking of that fight, I feel like I haven't yet reached galaxy brain-level appreciation of Chan unless I watch Buster Keaton films. I never have. I know I should watch them for their own sake but to really get an artist it's good to appreciate their influences.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Project A has an homage to Keaton (or perhaps Harold Lloyd) hanging from the clock tower, except on Project A Chan actually falls 60 feet through several awnings before landing in his head.

If I remember right he did the same homage a second time in Shanghai Knights. Though I'd wager that was not Jackie's idea but was in the script from the get-go since the story is set in London and you just don't pass up an opportunity to do the clock face homage when you can do it with Big Ben.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Cruise has some control, not sure how much. But he's the reason Christopher McQuarrie is helming the franchise now, writing and directing Rogue Nation and the next one coming out.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Neo Rasa posted:

There's a genuinely impressive lack of chemistry between every single actor in the movie so it being unmemorable is not surprising.

To bring it back to M:I chat, this was one of my main complaints with M:I 3 having rewatched it a couple weeks ago. It was the only one not fresh in my mind. Overall I think the franchise is top notch and #3 is certainly very good but the rest of the team didn't really sit right with me. Maybe my hindsight of the future instalments is skewing my opinion but Maggie Q and Rhys Meyers seemed disposable. Or it could be that the plot essentially gets rid of the team and makes it only about Ethan once the bridge scene is over.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Basebf555 posted:

I'm still pretty doubtful on that. Even in Dunkirk it felt like I wasn't seeing everything I wanted to see during some of the action.

That could be intentional, in a "always leave `em wanting more" kind of way.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

muscles like this! posted:

The thing I found annoying about the MI series is how literally every movie is Ethan Hunt going off book without any help from the IMF.

Considering the manager and boss turnover at IMF and the number of moles and traitors it has the best idea is probably to go it alone or with your trusted friends as often as possible.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Like, imagine if Tom Hanks decided to start doing action movies. That would be pretty weird, wouldn't it? Or if Meryl Streep announced that she'd be doing her own Atomic Blonde style assassin movie next year.

Dunno about "action" movies but he gets pretty close with the Robert Langdon films.

But however weird it would be I would be 100% down with a Tom Hanks action movie. Good Guy Pushed Too Far is a staple of the genre and you don't get more "Good Guy" than Hanks.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Fart City posted:

Van Damme has a full-length fight scene with the Pittsburgh Penguins mascot.

I missed the word "fight" originally and was gonna say "Oh yeah, back in the 90s when action films still did sex scenes."

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think the original Speed is its own thing rather than Die Hard on an X, but Speed 2 is basically Die Hard on a cruise ship.

I agree. Speed is not really "trapped in a ____ with bad guys". The villain is outside somewhere else and playing a kind of deadly game with him. Which is why Die Hard 3 doesn't really feel like a Die Hard film either because it does the same kind of thing and can only be considered Die Hard in a very loose or abstract way. Die Hard 3: Trapped In the Five Boroughs! It was originally supposed to be a Brandon Lee movie.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'd heard that Die Hard 3 began life as an attempted Lethal Weapon script.

So the myth goes but I looked it up and apparently it was going to be a Brandon Lee film and after he died there was an attempt to buy the script to retool for Lethal Weapon but it didn't go through.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Basebf555 posted:

To be fair, Die Hard was never really about being trapped with terrorists, it's about McClane saving a bunch of hostages from terrorists. It's not like he couldn't have probably figured some way out of the building if he didn't give a poo poo about saving his wife or the other hostages.

So Die Hard 2 is the same thing, he has to kill a bunch of terrorists at the airport to save the hostages, and then in 3 the hostages are everyone in New York.

You're right, "trapped" isn't really the right phrase but describing the first two Die Hards should convey somehow that it's not some negotiator or hero assigned to the task of infiltrating a place and saving hostages the same way Rambo or Chuck Norris goes in to free prisoners but that McClane is caught up in the situation because he was in the place at the wrong time and the movie never moves beyond the original setting. In Die Hard With a Vengeance he does have a personal connection to Simon but is otherwise is in the same boat as any other New York cop or law enforcement agent (and the movie also ends in Quebec...). And in Speed, Reeves has to find and board the bus. It would feel more Die Hard-ish if he had already been on it, like Snipes in Passenger 57.

Edit: "Die Hard-ish"? C'mon, Lobok, clearly it should be Die Hardy.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 17, 2018

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Basebf555 posted:

Thank you god.

I wonder if we're gonna get like a little team-up action with Wick and Common, that would be loving amazing. Can you imagine a tandem scene with two top level Continental assassins mowing through a room full of bad guys?

This is what I'm expecting. Their rivalry was great but mostly professional, right? Not personal. There's hardly a better opportunity for a former villain (of sorts) to get on side with the hero.

Ruby Rose though, probably not.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Aw yeah, Netflix just put up Boyka: Undisputed [4]. I know what I'm watching tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Transporter 1 is great even if you only watch for the garage scene. Not just the fun fight choreography inside the bus but I don't think I'll ever forget how he uses the oil to give himself an advantage.