Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

@Tatara voice: his voices sounds 'weird', as in, he doesn't sound like your typical anime voice actor. But, he is doing at very good job as a VA, I don't have complaints with his performance.

Welcome to the Ballroom 6

This episode has been the training part of this 'battle', so nothing really flashy or impactful happens. But at least it isn't going to be a long 'training arc', just this single episode, the preview already show the competition starts.
I wish there would be a scene of all the people dancing on the floor in the ep., to show the audience what he was doing wrong with the line of dance, instead of using stills. Yes, you get the idea, they explain it, but this is a tv series, it would have been better to see it directly.

That said, the scene of talking with Mako by phone is important for the character's development of Tatara, how he is so attentive to other people but not to himself is an indicative, a continuation of the theme of the first episode, his lack of self-identity, and how the series is about him using dance to find a place in life and grow as a person.

(metaphor incoming)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
The preview for Episode 7 looks intense as gently caress. What a great show; as someone who knows nothing about partners dancing routines it's holding my interest on the characters really well.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Tatara and Mako are in costume in the ending! And they've got body contact and sway happening!

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
Everyone was awesome again this episode, but especially Mako.

And drat, Hyodo-mom! :swoon:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe
Wonder when we'll get some backstory on Hyodo-mom, maybe she was Sengoku's teacher?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Mo_Steel posted:

Wonder when we'll get some backstory on Hyodo-mom, maybe she was Sengoku's teacher?

It was always my supposition.

For me, the *sfx tit bounce* was too much, Hyoudo-mom is already enough spectacular as it is.

The direction of the last two episodes is starting to show some flaws with scenes where thing don't flow properly. While for example they got the end of the episode 5 right, here there was supposed to be another similar great scene, when Tatara problems with endurance appears, but here in the anime it has much less dramatic and emotive impact, in fact here it's almost seem silly, and I'm not sure why. It lacked some buildup?

On the other hand, character art is still very good, and the story advances and we start to see more complexities on the characters (the real rival for Tatara is Shizuki, not Gaju; Shizuku has her own conflicting feelings about Hyoudou, as she is pissed at him but at the same time she is insecure at his side and fear being left behind; Gaju and Mako problems are hinted too, he wanted for her to collaborate as partners, but she was too much the typical timid, shy moe blob without no opinions or will.)

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
EP 9 was great and lol at the ending credits.

This show continues to wow me and I'm super invested now. I've been very tempted to just read and skip ahead via the manga.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

w00tazn posted:

EP 9 was great and lol at the ending credits.

This show continues to wow me and I'm super invested now. I've been very tempted to just read and skip ahead via the manga.

Ohh, I skipped the credits... I see now. Nice.

The manga imo is better, but at this point you may want to finish the anime first? Dunno.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

This show seems like a really good nice story but kind of a bad anime. Like they didn't really show anything that the last episode was about.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Yeah I hate to be the person saying "read the manga" but I think this anime isn't doing a good job of adapting it

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

boredsatellite posted:

Yeah I hate to be the person saying "read the manga" but I think this anime isn't doing a good job of adapting it

While I agree the manga is better, I have to say...

kater posted:

This show seems like a really good nice story but kind of a bad anime. Like they didn't really show anything that the last episode was about.

The episode was slow, they adapted one chapter when usually they are able to cram 2 chapters per episode, so it felt a bit weird. However the anime, like in the manga, more than about the dance it's about the characters. The episode was more about Gaku and Mako's feelings, and next episode will built upon it. This trend will continue, for example (manga spoilers I guess), the last chapters of the manga are dances where the focus isn't the dance but having several 'inner monologue' scenes or extended flashbacks where we see the origins of some characters, some of them dramatic.
It's reminding more and more to 3-Gatsu no Lion, a seinen that is about a shogi player but mostly isn't about the sport but that's the excuse to focus on their lives and do the characterizations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Uh, forget what I said in my last post, episode 10 was bad. Lack of animation in key moments, several instances of models being off, bad choice of music in the second part, and a direction that doesn't make things work. This isn't a case of 'not being as good as the manga' , even forgetting the manga exists this is underwhelming.

...He says, while being frozen in a still...

Forget sakuga, we don't even have budget to draw properly character that are almost still and are in in the focus of the frame!

Once the Gaju's flashback end, they focus more on the dance competition than on the character, and then the reality presents itself. We still don't know WHAT they are dancing. They do waltz, tango, foxtrot, quickstep... what's the difference? you can't know from what they show!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
RIP Gaju's face

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Fun Shoe

Turin Turambar posted:

Forget sakuga, we don't even have budget to draw properly character that are almost still and are in in the focus of the frame!

Sudden flashbacks to other shows...

Noticing even more "stills but we panned across them or added a blurry line filter to the edges to make it seem more dynamic" lately. Also is the amount of sweat these people produce part of the manga too, because it's distracting as hell to see a huge sweat line on the protagonists face for the last 3 episodes. I guess showing it in motion or wiping it away costs animation budget but jeez having it just sit as a solid line on his face is worse than just not drawing it at all.

Lastly, the number of times we've gotten a shot of the stareface from the main judge has gotta be in the dozens now. :stare:

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Sep 10, 2017

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

Too many drat pans over still shots. Too much talking about flowing motion and showing audience reactions while not showing the dances at all.

I still like this show, but these last few episodes have gotten pretty painfully low-effort when it comes to the animation. By comparison, when Yuri on Ice didn't have the time/money/effort to animate a really highly polished skating routine, they at least still animated it so that we could see the skating in motion even if it looked pretty janky. I would prefer that over these endless still keyframes for 90% of the dances.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I actually love off model drawerings but the music in the second half bothered me so much. Like, what?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Turin Turambar posted:

Once the Gaju's flashback end, they focus more on the dance competition than on the character, and then the reality presents itself. We still don't know WHAT they are dancing. They do waltz, tango, foxtrot, quickstep... what's the difference? you can't know from what they show!

Yeah, this is a really big, persistent issue. Especially when they're commenting on the dances, and the guy is like, "they did a chasse into a half-turn and then a natural turn?!?!" without ever explaining what any of them are.

It's the exact opposite of the studio's previous anime, Haikyuu. I started watching that show knowing absolutely nothing about volleyball. But everything was explained so well, by the big dramatic moments when a character was like, "He's going to do a jump float serve!" I knew exactly what that meant and what the stakes were.

But with WttB, the dance terms are basically the same as the technobabble from Star Trek. "We're going to fire a reverse tachyon flow through the deflector disc!" and "I'm going to do Sengoku's Quick-Step variation!" are to me equally meaningless sentences that are given dramatic weight purely from the context and tone in which they're said.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
I know some people don't like being told to read the manga when a show is disappointing, but I just got done binge-reading it and I can't recommend it enough. The artwork is gorgeous, and Sengoku has so many more amazing expressions than we get to see in the show.

EDIT: Just be careful where you read it because the later chapters are really weirdly labeled and I ended up reading a bunch of chapters out of order: use Batoto.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's​ fine to suggest the manga over a show imo. the only aggravating manga stuff i've seen for this show is the people who try and sell what has been a mediocre anime based on the manga being good x chapters in, or handwaving character complaints by saying stuff like "the main character hasn't even shown up yet."

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
to be fair, the anime follows the story pretty closely. Anything plotwise thats annoying you in the show will annoy you in the manga. For instance, they still don't go into a ton of detail about dance moves so you have people going "oh man, he just did *dance move* into *other dance move*!" and you just have to nod and move on. I think it's slightly less annoying because of the medium, mind you, and the fact that reading is faster than watching so you move and and forget your annoyance.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Guy Goodbody posted:

But with WttB, the dance terms are basically the same as the technobabble from Star Trek. "We're going to fire a reverse tachyon flow through the deflector disc!" and "I'm going to do Sengoku's Quick-Step variation!" are to me equally meaningless sentences that are given dramatic weight purely from the context and tone in which they're said.

I want a series like this to just randomly throw in complete and utter nonsense terminology, but nonsense that is believable-sounding to someone ignorant about the topic. Like the characters will be dancing and someone will be like "Wow, that's the best Kuznetsov jump-turn I've ever seen in a regional tournament!"

cosmo321
Jan 6, 2011
As someone who works in IT and have to live with how techno-jargon is presented in almost every popular medium, I can say that it's infuriating and can really lessen my opinion of a show. Do it right or don't do it. Please.

E: Unless it's done as a joke. Then it's fine.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
My problem right now is less with the lack of dancing action and more with how repetitive some of the faces are getting.

It might help if we didn't get at least one dramatic face shot every episode, but it's still noticable when you've seen the same Huge Smile Tatara face several times, or the same Dramatically Tense/Smug dancing faces on pretty much everyone every episode.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Sarrisan posted:

to be fair, the anime follows the story pretty closely. Anything plotwise thats annoying you in the show will annoy you in the manga. For instance, they still don't go into a ton of detail about dance moves so you have people going "oh man, he just did *dance move* into *other dance move*!" and you just have to nod and move on. I think it's slightly less annoying because of the medium, mind you, and the fact that reading is faster than watching so you move and and forget your annoyance.

forgot about this thread for a bit
anyway my complaint really just seems to be time spent. i read the manga up to this point and really had no complaints, but having all that stretched out into TV time exacerbates the faults in the animation while making Sengoku way less likable and characters like Tatara and Shizuku feel way emptier for how much they're on-screen. after hearing how bad the most recent episode was, i'm still debating whether i want to continue the show even though i know i'll be turning back to the manga at some point.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Hey, after this consensus of the series not being good enough, I have to say episode 11 was much better.

It wasn't full of stills! And even had some sakuga parts!

https://my.mixtape.moe/yacqup.webm
https://my.mixtape.moe/gnbsby.webm
edit: Oh, the auto-embed? It was my intention. Well, whatever.

The conclusion of the Arc was well done. Tatara reaches his limits, in both endurance and skill, but He has a unique charm, and he dances a contagious emotion, so you can see that as promising talent for the future. I like the moment where they announce who wins, you are thinking if Gaju or Tatara... but then the reality plants itself. You silly shonen sports fan, he never had chances of winning for real, he ends 7th. And it's already a good result, given he is a beginner. How Tatara cries explaining how for a moment he thought he could win... heartbreaking.

Of course the queen of the ballroom awards appears of out nowhere to fix things and at least show he was good at focusing on his partner, and that way the competition is won without being too unrealistic.

BTW, watch after the credits, there is a scene.

LytHka
Mar 18, 2006
After binging through the show on a recommendation from a friend, I have to say I didn't terribly mind the lack of animation. Tatara's skill level did get lost on me due to this limitation, but when this show is mostly about emitting ~haki~ on the dance floor, what the show actually lacks is more weird faces, more sweatlines, more LOOK AT ME eyes. Enjoying it thoroughly so far.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
As someone who doesn't watch anime (except Gundam) but actually knows Ballroom, the results made me very happy. The dynamic of Sengoku not building up Tatara's fundamentals is something very common to inexperienced teachers, because they very much take it for granted in themselves. I'm looking forward to Hyodo's mom giving him poo poo for that.

Also lol at the twerp thinking he could actually win.

The Ballroom Queen stuff doesn't come out of nowhere, I remember it being mentioned as part of the reason they were using this competition instead of an official one (so that betty and veronica could compete against each other).

The jargon doesn't really faze me because I'm used to it, but even I notice that a lot of background is missing. I'm not sure, for instance, whether running separate dances in different rounds is an anime thing or a Japan thing (because their ballroom organizations are structured different).

Morrow fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Sep 18, 2017

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Ballroom 2nd cour PV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9K3XP1Fcpcg

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I just watched episode 10 and tiny mako and gaju are adorable

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Ballroom 12

New opening. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFCwprwbtsc

Another good episode. The characters and tone of the series are already established, so it can move at a good pace. Gaju-kun as a bro is fun ('Mako's boobs have got bigger!' was hilarious, or when he got embarrassed asking his phone), Shizuku is the friend but archrival (an curious twist imo, as people expected to be Hyodou), Sengoku-san's dance was decently animated and the blue theme to represent oceans waves and the twisted camera perspectives were unique and interesting visual motifs. And Sengoku's fight, lol. And of course we have a deliciously smug tsun saying 'how lame!' to Tatara.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Sep 23, 2017

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

drat that's a strong opening to the second cour! The awesome fully-animated dance sequences have returned, the pacing is back on track, the physical comedy is hilarious.

Gaju defending Tatara from the bullies and then demanding his phone number while blushing could have come straight out of a BL manga. Cuuuuute. :kimchi:

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

This episode was better than the last few episodes of the tournament, for everything from character development to animated dancing.

Really good opening too.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I adored the first opening but the second one is also by Unison Square Garden so I can accept this.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
Really looking forward to this season; looks like they got the budget back, lets hope they don't run out before the end.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Tsun tsun dere tsun dere tsun tsun~

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
I'm totally into ballroom 12 and where this thing is going to go.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Sometimes I have the mind of a 14 years old.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The show makes it so easy. This feeling...of being controlled...

I'm guessing due to her height Chi used to be forced to dance lead for other girls.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Ballroom 13

So we start the Chi-chan long arc. This isn't going to be as easy as with Mako, where they decided to dance together, and boom, done! Getting a partner is going to be hard.
Chinatsu bring her own baggage and inner turmoil, you can see how she backs when they were going to start dancing, and in how she flips flops between wanting to do it and not to do it. Tatara has to discover that his leading until now has been kind of.. uh... childish? True leading in competitive dance is really more assertive and dominant, and finally their personality clashes in a much more pronounced way than when he danced with the timid Mako.
And all this is good, this is a fiction story and in the end, the heart of fiction is usually conflict. It would be boring otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think the necks are getting longer

• Locked thread