Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
I think he was into scuba diving and then started writing a thing about the evils of fascism re: diving, but got carried away and can no longer get his rocks off to anything but ray gun firing squads and scuba diver eating machines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Cyclists are the scuba divers of the roadways.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Jimmy dives where he likes. Well I hope he likes exploring Davy Jones' Locker because that's where you end up after running afoul of SEA PATROL and find yourself facing a ray gun firing squad

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Didn't he had this revenge fantasy when SEA PATROL came to his old diving club and wrecked poo poo? I think it was one of the earlier comics when SEA PATROL was relatively tame i e only destroying diving gear and arresting recreational diver scum instead of the firing squad.

Sadly they only thing I could find is this picture called "Back to his old club"

Also, WTF "Let's get this over with without trouble"

Apparently SEA PATROL MEDICAL will perform experiments on you

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jul 24, 2017

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
blond and blue eyed, eh?
Why does the orderly cover his face doc?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Sekenr posted:

Didn't he had this revenge fantasy when SEA PATROL came to his old diving club and wrecked poo poo? I think it was one of the earlier comics when SEA PATROL was relatively tame i e only destroying diving gear and arresting recreational diver scum instead of the firing squad.

Sadly they only thing I could find is this picture called "Back to his old club"

Also, WTF "Let's get this over with without trouble"

Apparently SEA PATROL MEDICAL will perform experiments on you

Isn't this like classic fetish escalation? You start off with a weird but not-too-weird kink, you indulge it till it's no longer thrilling, and need to escalate it to find the fun again. Before you know it you're a 45 year old ceo pretending to be a baby, making GBS threads in a diaper while being breastfed by a hooker

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Im so glad this is back.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
where do you think SEA PATROL stands re: good and bad froggers?

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I want this guy to team up with Dozerfleet

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

imo the origin story here has gotta be something like guy was a scuba diver who kept going places he shouldn't have and he got fined or banned or something and coped by coming up with this whole elaborate fantasy about a fascist police state that came into power on a platform of ethnically cleansing scoobydoos

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
I think you need to look deeper, he used to feed a duck at the local pond, until a kid wearing a mask and snorkel strangled it in front of him.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

How do you make a livelihood out of old shipwrecks aside from giving tours to recreational divers?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Professor Shark posted:

How do you make a livelihood out of old shipwrecks aside from giving tours to recreational divers?

LBS for Geiger counters, various medical devices, aeronautical and space program stuff.

quote:

Low-background steel is any steel produced prior to the detonation of the first atomic bombs in the 1940s and 1950s. With the Trinity test and the Atomic bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki in 1945, and then subsequent nuclear weapons testing during the early years of the Cold War, background radiation levels increased across the world. Modern steel is contaminated with radionuclides because its production used atmospheric air. Low background steel is so called because it does not suffer from such nuclear contamination. This steel is used in devices that require the highest sensitivity for detecting radionuclides.

The primary source of low-background steel is ships that were constructed before the Trinity test, most famously the scuttled German WWI battleships in Scapa Flow.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

He wrote his own origin story, fishermans association formed gangs to attack recreational diver scum. Nobody objected because of course no sane person would support filthy recreational divers, than skip some years and its SEA PATROL.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kharnifex posted:

I think you need to look deeper, he used to feed a duck at the local pond, until a kid wearing a mask and snorkel strangled it in front of him.

Children and women don't seem to exist in the Sea Patrol world from what I remember so it was probably an adult aryan man

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
What is this poo poo.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

kecske posted:

LBS for Geiger counters, various medical devices, aeronautical and space program stuff.

Looks like I need to start scooby dooing

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i think the initial trigger was probably he went diving and looted some shellfish or scrap and then got told off by some guy at the scuba club

the whole 'thats someones livelihood' refrain comes up a lot in these comics

then he probably started popping wood when he drew some scooby doos tied up and the rest is history

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
Sea Patrol is essentially the Justice Department from Judge Dredd. He's just creating his own fantasy universe out out the things he likes, which seem to be 2000ad comics and scoobydooing. When you think about it the elements of his storytelling are fairly conventional. A knowingly schizophrenic depicton of fascism. Inviting the reader to find something admirable in an anti-hero character (or organization in this case). A dystopian warning about the future. Anthony Appleyard whips us into a frenzy of authoritarianism with his depiction of Sea Patrol's iron regime; we can't help but sneakingly admire the purity of their crusade against recreational scuba diving. But then we come to our senses and see that this could be our future if we don't halt the government or something. It acts as a timely call to action, there but for the grace of god.

Shin00bie
Sep 11, 2011

a star war betamax posted:

Looks like I need to start scooby dooing

You're one of my favourites, betamax, but any more of that scooby doo poo poo and I'LL loving CUT YOU

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
I still think its sea hunt. It was really popular here and its was basically the same it just never explained why people were constatntly trying to cut the air hoses of this poor recreational scuba diver. I think he just sort of filled in the blanks with some crazy, but the show itself was pretty crazy.

"Mike Nelson (Bridges) is a free-lance scubadiver who has various adventures. Nelson, a former U.S. Navy frogman (having left the service about four years before the series began), is a well-known expert on diving who is often called on for difficult or dangerous projects. Traveling on his boat the Argonaut, Nelson outmaneuvers villains, salvages everything from a bicycle to a nuclear missile, rescues children trapped in a flooded cave, and even a dog. In the pilot episode, Mike rescues a downed Navy pilot from his sunken jet."

It was the number one show back then and i didnt know this but it kicked off leonard nemoy and jack nichlesons career, so it was
pretty popular.

E: he gets his air hose cut in almost every episode.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

scuba diving is cool till you find out you can only go down like 10 feet every 3 hours or oyu die

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

juggalo baby coffin posted:

scuba diving is cool till you find out you can only go down like 10 feet every 3 hours or oyu die

You can go down p. fast, it's coming up that's the problem but it's not that complex. Just follow the smallest bubble

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Also it better be your job or eat poo poo scooby

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

i read a really long article about some diver guy who was gonna go into the worlds deepest hole with his bro to find a kid who died in it, but he died at the bottom, then his bro was like 'i swear to you, my dead bros wife, i will go down and get him' but then he also died

basically it would have saved us all some time if theyd just been beaten to death with pickaxe handles

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

i read a really long article about some diver guy who was gonna go into the worlds deepest hole with his bro to find a kid who died in it, but he died at the bottom, then his bro was like 'i swear to you, my dead bros wife, i will go down and get him' but then he also died

basically it would have saved us all some time if theyd just been beaten to death with pickaxe handles

Holy poo poo, I remember this, it was actually a really fuckin good one. Didn't the one guy get confused in the murk, like accidentally disturbed something and lost viability and went DOWN thinking it was towards the surface?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Holy poo poo, I remember this, it was actually a really fuckin good one. Didn't the one guy get confused in the murk, like accidentally disturbed something and lost viability and went DOWN thinking it was towards the surface?

Yeah and then the other guy had his gas mix get all hosed up and got narcosis and got so confused he died

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I don't like the direction the Endless Ocean games went in.

The Baumann
Jun 2, 2013

En Garde, Fuckboy

Isn't that story where the guy they went down to find ended up floating back up after this? I may be mixing up my terrifying under water death pit stories.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mukip posted:

Sea Patrol is essentially the Justice Department from Judge Dredd. He's just creating his own fantasy universe out out the things he likes, which seem to be 2000ad comics and scoobydooing. When you think about it the elements of his storytelling are fairly conventional. A knowingly schizophrenic depicton of fascism. Inviting the reader to find something admirable in an anti-hero character (or organization in this case). A dystopian warning about the future. Anthony Appleyard whips us into a frenzy of authoritarianism with his depiction of Sea Patrol's iron regime; we can't help but sneakingly admire the purity of their crusade against recreational scuba diving. But then we come to our senses and see that this could be our future if we don't halt the government or something. It acts as a timely call to action, there but for the grace of god.
Makes perfect sense since he's made Rogue Trooper stuff as well. That's another 2000ad strip IIRC.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

The Baumann posted:

Isn't that story where the guy they went down to find ended up floating back up after this? I may be mixing up my terrifying under water death pit stories.

yeah thats the one. his corpse floated up cause it had been turned into wax by the lack of oxygen or something

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
The story is the guy went down to get the body, had practiced putting the body in a bodybag a million times, but when they got down there the body was hosed up and basically half buried in the ground, and the guy doing retrieval was super hosed up on his gas mix, got confused and disoriented in the silt he was kicking up trying to stuff his dead friend's corpse into a holdall, and eventually just stopped moving and breathing.

The guy who died trying to retrieve the body was wearing a GoPro or equivalent and apparently the film is pretty harrowing.

e:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF4iFJ-G74o

communism bitch fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 25, 2017

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

communism bitch posted:

The story is the guy went down to get the body, had practiced putting the body in a bodybag a million times, but when they got down there the body was hosed up and basically half buried in the ground, and the guy doing retrieval was super hosed up on his gas mix, got confused and disoriented in the silt he was kicking up trying to stuff his dead friend's corpse into a holdall, and eventually just stopped moving breathing.

There guy who died trying to retrieve the body was wearing a GoPro or equivalent and apparently the film is pretty harrowing.

You going to do the legwork for me and post a link or do I have to kick your head in with my hobnails
you
FUCKIN'
SCOOBYDOO

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Yep.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Scooby dooby Doo where are you
I've got a ray for you now

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

Oh no! The SEA PATROL site is down :negative:

we must stand unwavering in the face of this flagrant scoobydoo sabotage

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
dudes wife 100% got hosed by a scoobydoo

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

free hubcaps posted:

the only power these pos unlicensed clammers understand comes from the barrel of an issue pneumatic rifle

one super soaker grease gun plz

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
jimmy dives where he likes

Putty fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

At least give the guy a medal for a original fetish.

• Locked thread