Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I really enjoyed Koudelka, and I wish we had more horror-themed RPGs out there. Shadow Hearts really stood alone and even now, there's very little like it. The main thing that annoyed me about Koudelka was the weapons breaking seemingly at random. Having to rely on your fists the entire way through the game never stopped being annoying. Having to rely on random drops, both for your weapons and gear made for a really uneven difficulty curve as well. Makes me wonder if the game was balance tested very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Nope!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh4uNhrOF2s

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

The voice cast did the motion capture and were recorded doing the dialogue. I believe the cast had a background in theatre, which is why it feels so naturalistic, especially compared to games of the era (hell, even compared to a fair few games today). It's been a while since I last saw it, but there should be footage of the mocap sessions on Youtube. These days, it's pretty much standard practice to produce games like that, but back then, it was highly unusual.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

The fact is, everyone is using each other to some degree: James is clearly being less than forthcoming about his reasons for being at the monastery, Edward broke into the place, but was attacked before he could do anything and Koudelka herself is essentially using the other two as meat shields while she finds out who in the hell called her there in the first place. The only time they all stop bickering and put aside their differences is when there's something bigger to deal with.

• Locked thread