Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I really enjoyed Koudelka, and I wish we had more horror-themed RPGs out there. Shadow Hearts really stood alone and even now, there's very little like it. The main thing that annoyed me about Koudelka was the weapons breaking seemingly at random. Having to rely on your fists the entire way through the game never stopped being annoying. Having to rely on random drops, both for your weapons and gear made for a really uneven difficulty curve as well. Makes me wonder if the game was balance tested very well.

Apparently for most of the development time, the team disagreed with each other on how the game should play. The lead designer wanted it to be more Survival Horror than JRPG while others wanted it to be more JRPG than Survival Horror and the end result is a kind of weird compromise that doesn't quite work, so I wouldn't be surprised if properly balancing the game was given a low priority by the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I am actually pretty impressed with the voice acting considering this is a PS1 game and I've played this before but somehow had forgotten how good the voice acting is. Kind of a shame Shadow Hearts doesn't continue that tradition even if I'd argue they're better games overall than Koudelka.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Not sure if you know this, but the buff spells will have the opposite effect if you cast them on the enemies and it'll debuff them.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

FunkMonkey posted:

Koudelka lies in the big pile of games my child self scooped up back in the day with little to no foreknowledge of what I was getting into. Any time I see one of those games today I always get a big nostalgia shock. I'll be keeping an eye on this.

Same here, but what's more interesting is that Shadow Hearts 1 was a similar story where I picked it up with absolutely no idea what it was about and no idea it was even a sequel of sorts to Koudelka. I remember being very confused and had my mind kind of blown once Shadow Hearts started referencing this game heavily.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yeah if anything, Shadow Hearts 1 would probably be easier to LP in video format than Koudelka. If you're going to do Covenant and From the New World though, that probably will be a bit too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yeah okay seriously, that's some of the best voice work and motion capture for a PS1 game I've heard and seen. Do we know who the voice actors were?

• Locked thread