Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Do you plan on LPing the Shadow Hearts games afterwards as well? The only one that hasn't been done is Shadow Hearts 3, simultaneously the zaniest and also most fun to play of the series. This game definitely does have great voice acting, even now, and really great model work. Shadow Hearts 1 carries the expressive models to an extent, but it's a shame the VA was either poorly or not at all translated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Covenant and From the New World have pretty good voice acting, with some rough spots. This game has them, too, but I think the writing for the voiced dialogue is a lot better than most of what's in the SH games.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
The dev team did visit Wales to scout the setting out, so it makes sense.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

UnwiseTrout posted:

The thing that struck me when I played this game years ago was that all the characters are kinda assholes. None of them seem to be particularly charitable or warm people.

There's more grounded moments later on, but for the most part, yeah. However, the voice acting really sells it well, and there's really no other jRPG out there with this kind of party banter outside of maybe NieR.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Edvarius posted:

Are we sure James isn't a villain using Koudelka and Edward for his own means here? I keep expecting a sudden yet inevitable betrayal from him.

Also, I actual recognized a couple of those monster designs as having showed up in Shadow Hearts. Neat! Specifically the upside-down multihead ghost with the gun and the dead baby orb. Actually that dead baby orb is an optional super boss. I guess it hit the gym between games if it was just a normal enemy here.

I think it's funny that dead-baby-orb monster appears in every game afterward. I'm happy that Koudelka's monster designer stuck around for Shadow Hearts and its sequels.

Ubiquitous_ fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Aug 4, 2017

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Hel posted:

I think a big reason I'm fine with all the main characters being assholes is that the game doesn't try to hide it, It doesn't pretend they are cool or just ribbing on each other. Other than the Kane & Lynch games I can't really think of any other game that does this with it's rear end in a top hat protagonists.

NieR does this a bit with Kaine at first. But, like this game, she is humanized down the road.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
I really like the encounter with Elias ("That's bull and you know it, you pig-headed, old, bigot!"). Mostly for his voice acting, and for what Edward does. James' reaction is really well animated.

Also... did the programmers code the boxes so that they could be poisoned? I totally caught that.

Ubiquitous_ fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Aug 9, 2017

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Shadow Hearts 1 has roughly the same playtime as Koudelka, even with 100% completion and showing off both endings.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Also one thing to note: The Gargoyle appears to be coded to give you many, many, many turns to escape. You can actually use him as a spell-leveling grind similar to Valna + Vigna for at least a little bit. Even if he starts casting spells, he sometimes just ends up not doing anything.

You could also sit around and use the VIT-boost spell and boost Koudelka's defense sky high so that even his physical attacks will just scratch her. I believe it's impossible to damage him at all in that battle, though.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

discworld is all I read posted:

I suppose that is as good a reason as any. Or maybe she wasn't really around when Ogden did super horrible poo poo like hack up ladies? Though that doesn't make sense considering the thief said they would hunt down and hack up people as a duo. Maybe she saw Koudelka as an actual innocent person rather than just another thief or scoundrel looking for easy money, and finally realized that maybe they should stop killing folks. Or maybe she was just tired of the life they were living and she was ready to rest.

Bah, why are you trying to spread fake news, Coleman. This place is as wholesome as ummmm whatever the equivalent to apple pie is in Wales.

Like this nice fluffy stack of pancakescrempog...the name alone makes my mouth water.

I can't tell if you're trolling me or my lady is lying to me, but she says (and some website that says how long games take to beat) that Shadow Hearts 1 is about 30+ hours.

If you're unfamiliar to the game, yes. But if you know what you're doing, it's actually pretty short. You also rarely, if ever, need to grind. The game also plays much faster than Koudelka, overall.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Roger Bacon's voice actor is incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Koudelka's drunken, heartrending monologue is one of my favorite VA sequences. Her modelling work during the sequence really sells it.

• Locked thread