Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luxury Communism
Aug 22, 2015

by Lowtax

New York Times posted:

Power Play

By Greg Howard

In New York, so much of my life consists of walking in and through crowds. I am, I think, a good walker. I don’t dawdle, and even when walking at high speeds, I’m courteous — always willing to sway to one side, change speed in traffic or even take wide berths around large, lost, child-toting or otherwise compromised gaggles of pedestrians.

There are many times in a day when a person is walking toward me and in my path. In these situations, we both generally make minor adjustments upon our approach. Sometimes, and especially with pedestrians who are black, as I am, there’s eye contact or even a nod. Almost always, we shift our bodyweight or otherwise detour to make the pass easier for the other. Walking courteously doesn’t take much, just soupçons of spatial awareness, foresight and empathy. In seven years of living and walking here, I’ve found that most people walk courteously — but that white women, at least when I’m in their path, do not.

Sometimes they’re buried in their phones. Other times, they’re in pairs and groups, and in conversation. But often, they’re looking ahead, through me, if not quite at me. When white women are in my path, they almost always continue straight, forcing me to one side without changing their course. This happens several times a day; and a couple of times a week, white women force me off the sidewalk completely. In these instances, when I’m standing in the street or in the dirt as a white woman strides past, broad-shouldered and blissful, I turn furious.

I turn furious because in these instances I feel small. I always get out of the way, because I was taught at a young age not to bodycheck random people. But I also get out of the way because, as a black man, I’ve learned that bodychecking, bumping or even rubbing against a random white woman can be personally hazardous. So I acknowledge other pedestrians, and reroute. White men and all people of color do the same to me. They offer some form of acknowledgment that we are in each other’s path, that I am there at all.

After these encounters, I’m always left with questions. Why only and specifically white women? Do they refuse to acknowledge me because they’ve been taught that they should fear black men, and that any acknowledgment of black men can invite danger? Do they refuse to acknowledge me because to alter their route would be to show their fear? Do they not see me? Can they not see me?

I wonder, too, why I always get out of the way. Why haven’t I ever just walked headlong into a rude white woman? What lessons tug at me, force me off the sidewalk, tell me that my personal space is not necessarily mine? Because explicit in every white woman’s decision not to get out of my way is the expectation that I’ll get out of theirs.

There have always been white women in my life, and I’ve counted them as friends and sisters, mothers and lovers. Whenever I ask white women I know why they don’t reroute for black men, they invariably express ignorance. Whenever that happens, another question always arises: Wait, am I crazy? But then I ask black men. Invariably, they know what I’m talking about.

A couple of weeks ago, I asked an Asian friend if he had the same experience of white women not getting out of his way. He said no. For whatever reason, white women see him just fine. The people who don’t, he said, are white men.

Article Here.

Since I got some criticism for not posting my opinion last thread, let me just say that I respect our black brothers and believe that BLACK LIVES MATTER and these white girls need to learn their loving place. White women have always been the primary drivers and motivators of the racist heirarchy that continues to shape this country today. The racist genealogy of feminism cannot be ignored and they all must promptly apologize for not getting out of the way of this attractive and successful African American, because black lives do in fact matter.

Of course, the leading feminist subreddit took to the defense of white women, using the classic defense of "I'm not racist, I hate all men equally" that has come to become so typical of the new "ironic" type racist we see lurking these very internet forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
sir this is a mcdonalds

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

huh so thats what its like to live in a big city

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.
I used to respect the NYT until I realized they're the FOX news of the left.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Anecdotal evidence don't mean poo poo. Let's put some social science freakonomics to work and get hard data

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

BluesShaman posted:

I used to respect the NYT until I realized they're the FOX news of the left.

hey buddy, the NYT never ever advocated for leftist positions, they were liberal positions

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
in a perfect world we would all be black men and nod to each other as we swayed to let each other by on the sidewalk

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon
Maybe that are just bitches.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jeffrey Dahmer posted:

Maybe that are just bitches.

#gbshateswomen

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.
My next door neighbor was the manager of the times printing plant. He brought his son and me to pick up his paycheck one time roughly 20 years ago. It was one of the formative memories of my youth.

We had to put in earplugs. It was like a Wednesday, but they were printing the Sunday edition [it's massive..or it WAS]. Now the Times is going out of business.

You could pull a copy off the line, and you were supposed to pull a copy off frequently to check that the print lined up properly and poo poo.

And there were multiple stations where you could "STOP THE PRESSES!" with a red stop button.

So I got to STOP THE PRESSES at the New York Times! True Story.

Llareggub
Dec 28, 2004

BluesShaman posted:

My next door neighbor was the manager of the times printing plant. He brought his son and me to pick up his paycheck one time roughly 20 years ago. It was one of the formative memories of my youth.

We had to put in earplugs. It was like a Wednesday, but they were printing the Sunday edition [it's massive..or it WAS]. Now the Times is going out of business.

You could pull a copy off the line, and you were supposed to pull a copy off frequently to check that the print lined up properly and poo poo.

And there were multiple stations where you could "STOP THE PRESSES!" with a red stop button.

So I got to STOP THE PRESSES at the New York Times! True Story.

cool

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

white women constantly bump into me and shove me out of the way because they're scared of me, and not because im the kind of huge dweeb who'd go crying about it to the new york times

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
This checks out. Remember when Hillary refused to get out of the way for Barack?

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Cnut the Great posted:

This checks out. Remember when Hillary refused to get out of the way for Barack?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Maya Fey posted:

white women constantly bump into me and shove me out of the way because they're scared of me, and not because im the kind of huge dweeb who'd go crying about it to the new york times

I've resolved to start shoulder-checking every other person who doesn't get out of my way, regardless of gender. Not every one, just every other one.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Cnut the Great posted:

Loll

Llareggub
Dec 28, 2004

Cnut the Great posted:

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
let's all become racists. it seems like it would be less soul-crushingly tedious then whatever we are now.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

SickZip posted:

let's all become racists. it seems like it would be less soul-crushingly tedious then whatever we are now.

Racists in denial?

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.
Remember when Hillary refused to get out of the way for Bernie Sanders?

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Racists in denial?

i think "increasingly incomprehensible complex of neuroses" works better.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Russian_Starr/status/888519318455164929

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

That woman is a hero. gently caress ice cream trucks

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
I always get out of the way of all women. "Shoulder checking" a woman would be unthinkable.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

SickZip posted:

That woman is a hero. gently caress ice cream trucks

:corsair:

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.
Ice cream truck drivers are pretty sketchy. But the idea of an ice cream truck is unimpeachable.

:goonsay:

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
ugh why the hell are lactose intolerant people eating ice cream. that's OUR food.

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.

The Dennis System posted:

I always get out of the way of all women. "Shoulder checking" a woman would be unthinkable.

I was taking the subway once... and the doors open, and this old lady says, "car's full." A quick look tells me this is not the case, so I cross check her into the boards and take up a spot in the middle of the subway car.

Literally 30 human persons could stand in the middle of this subway car. But this oval office wanted her personal space so bad. Was like Forrest Gump "Can't sit here."

Bitch should try riding the Tokyo subway at rush hour.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Lemme tell you, when Yakub is taking a stroll down the sidewalk you'd better get the gently caress out of his way.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

im old and grouchy and I'm going to track down, and set fire to, the ice cream truck that circles back through my neighborhood every 15 minutes until 10pm

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

BluesShaman posted:

I was taking the subway once... and the doors open, and this old lady says, "car's full." A quick look tells me this is not the case, so I cross check her into the boards and take up a spot in the middle of the subway car.

Literally 30 human persons could stand in the middle of this subway car. But this oval office wanted her personal space so bad. Was like Forrest Gump "Can't sit here."

Bitch should try riding the Tokyo subway at rush hour.

The sense of entitlement that middle-aged women have is unbelievable

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Racist white womenz.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
yeah. white women are definitely physically challenging and provoking black men.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cnut the Great posted:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Oh poo poo, am I supposed to be racist or sexist in this thread?

Cnut the Great posted:

Good stuff.

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.

Mega64 posted:

Oh poo poo, am I supposed to be racist or sexist in this thread?

This is a NYT thread, so you're probably a racist and sexist for even considering such.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Ugh i hate it when women bump into me, disrespect me, or shove me to the ground and step on me with their high heels, or god forbid, stomp on my dick and balls... The mere thought of it makes me sick. Well thats my column for the week

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Who the gently caress makes eye contact while walking down the street in New York city

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.

Maya Fey posted:

Ugh i hate it when women bump into me, disrespect me, or shove me to the ground and step on me with their high heels, or god forbid, stomp on my dick and balls... The mere thought of it makes me sick. Well thats my column for the week

:fap: go on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Rich white Manhattanite women are inconsiderate jerks, more at 11

• Locked thread