Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

TheWeepingHorse posted:

Trying walking the streets of Flushing, Queens.

The times I've had to drive around Flushing are the worst driving experiences I've had in the US. Nobody knows how to drive, asian people just running out into the street, everyone is double parking and then pulling into the road without checking mirrors, and everyone loves to use their horn even when there's no where to go.
Good chinese food though and also a nice park too.

What I'm saying is that I'm racist against my own race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

SickZip posted:

That woman is a hero. gently caress ice cream trucks

something is rly wrong with u lol. ur hosed up

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Smythe posted:

Hearing an ice cream truck parked below you play it's lovely music for an hour is terrible. Roll in with the music to attract the kids and then shut it off. It's not that hard. Anyway NYC ice cream truck drivers are basically roving street gangs that fight each other over territory. They can all go drive off a cliff.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I looked up what the author looks like and I think it's more cause he looks like a little dweeb than him being black because I don't have this problem at all with white women (tho I'm in Philadelphia, not NYC)

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

poorlifedecision posted:

Hearing an ice cream truck parked below you play it's lovely music for an hour is terrible. Roll in with the music to attract the kids and then shut it off. It's not that hard. Anyway NYC ice cream truck drivers are basically roving street gangs that fight each other over territory. They can all go drive off a cliff.

thres a hosed up poverty tier ice cream truck in my neighborhood that has the worst song. its part of the neighborhoods chararacter. kids like it. it means its summer. it's a good thing. theres also a guy who drives a big white van that makes the godfather theme with the horn, but sometimes it bugs out half way through. overall i give them both a 10/10.

i mean u have to be seriously mentally ill to fight against freaking ice cream trucks. jesus!! think of the children!!!!

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

The biggest problem I have with white women (I take the trains a lot) is they're the biggest group I've noticed that has consistently little grasp on how to hold doors open for people/groups behind them.

No, holding it open 15º just enough so you can squeeze through/sidestep around it doesn't help anyone, you hold the door open all the way 90º or more cause you don't know how much room the person behind you may need! Plus elderly people are a lot slower getting through doors so it's polite to just keep it open so they can just walk through it.

I wonder if people that don't understand why it's helpful to open the door all the way just hold it open a crack and walk through because they think it's the bare minimum of what's required of them and don't think about it any further than that. They're like the people who first engage their turn signals while they're slamming on their brakes or already making the turn :frogbon:

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

beep by grandpa posted:

The biggest problem I have with white women (I take the trains a lot) is they're the biggest group I've noticed that has consistently little grasp on how to hold doors open for people/groups behind them.

No, holding it open 15º just enough so you can squeeze through/sidestep around it doesn't help anyone, you hold the door open all the way 90º or more cause you don't know how much room the person behind you may need! Plus elderly people are a lot slower getting through doors so it's polite to just keep it open so they can just walk through it.

I wonder if people that don't understand why it's helpful to open the door all the way just hold it open a crack and walk through because they think it's the bare minimum of what's required of them and don't think about it any further than that. They're like the people who first engage their turn signals while they're slamming on their brakes or already making the turn :frogbon:

you just hold the door a little out of their reach and then let it go right before they get there so the spring action dislocates their shoulder before the hydraulic damping engages. :shrug:

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
if i don't hold a door for somebody and i notice them noticing that i didn't i obsessively think about it for like three days

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Smythe posted:

thres a hosed up poverty tier ice cream truck in my neighborhood that has the worst song. its part of the neighborhoods chararacter. kids like it. it means its summer. it's a good thing. theres also a guy who drives a big white van that makes the godfather theme with the horn, but sometimes it bugs out half way through. overall i give them both a 10/10.

i mean u have to be seriously mentally ill to fight against freaking ice cream trucks. jesus!! think of the children!!!!

It's a fine thing at 3pm, it's annoying for an hour at 9pm. I suppose if you like 45 minutes of a 10second jingle played on repeat out your window then kudos to you and your neighborhood's "character."

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
as a white woman I make it my business to shoulder check other white women at every opportunity. I'm all about intersectionality (where I get in their way at an intersection)

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Secular Humanist posted:

if i don't hold a door for somebody and i notice them noticing that i didn't i obsessively think about it for like three days

Sometimes when I'm in a mischievous mood and I notice someone turn around, look at me, then rudely let go of the door behind them when still 1 second away I'll let the door start to swing closed and slam my hand into the glass instead of the metal frame before it slows down so it makes a loud thud, then usually they'll turn around and apologize :laugh:

yea, I know

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Noted event organizer ludacris has touched on this subject in his seminal hit "move bitch get out da way"

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Smythe posted:

You're just dead wrong about this man and it's gotta be that you've never experienced the hell that is nyc ice cream trucks. Imagine dead eyes tweety bird mafiosos in the street in a screaming match with a ninja turtle truck full of Cubans while two competing versions of five seconds of she'll be coming round the mountain blare at 110 dB right under your window while you're trying to put a baby to sleep and then you can complain that wanting this poo poo to stop is "waaa ruining our neighborhood character gentrific...."

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Zorodius posted:

Call me crazy, but I find it unlikely that the NYT would run an article on a white woman's anecdotal negative experiences around black pedestrians?
There was the whole manspreading poo poo

and this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1XGPvbWn0A

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Also wtf New York Times. This poo poo is idiot blog tier

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
white women aren't intersectional enough. make them suffer. if a problem is unique to them it does not matter.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

poisonpill posted:

You're just dead wrong about this man and it's gotta be that you've never experienced the hell that is nyc ice cream trucks. Imagine dead eyes tweety bird mafiosos in the street in a screaming match with a ninja turtle truck full of Cubans while two competing versions of five seconds of she'll be coming round the mountain blare at 110 dB right under your window while you're trying to put a baby to sleep and then you can complain that wanting this poo poo to stop is "waaa ruining our neighborhood character gentrific...."

Except for the part with the baby that sounds pretty rad

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

Especially bad how he narrows the problem down to write an entire article specifically about how: White. Women. are the problem. Not white men, not other women of color. He is spending time and valuable space in the most prestigious newspaper in the world to say that white women have a problem with the way they walk on the sidewalk.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

Aesop Poprock posted:

Except for the part with the baby that sounds pretty rad

Yeah it is when you're 20 and just waking up at noon to see the weird scene with some girl but I guess that's why gentrified neighborhoods always have kids

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

poisonpill posted:

Especially bad how he narrows the problem down to write an entire article specifically about how: White. Women. are the problem. Not white men, not other women of color. He is spending time and valuable space in the most prestigious newspaper in the world to say that white women have a problem with the way they walk on the sidewalk.

people are bad

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

poisonpill posted:

What if he's not just lying? What if this is his and his other black male friend's experience for years, even decades? Taken as is it does seem kind of racist. Should we just discard his experiences because we don't like the implications?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

poisonpill posted:

have you ever read a newspaper before? the editorial pages? opinion section? theres a proud history of putting all sorts of useless and retarded poo poo in them

old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

poisonpill posted:

White women replaced White men as the driving force behind popular media and society a while ago, you're still just living in a sexually male dominated world where you're all being lead around by your noses to blame people who enjoy literally the same economic and societal benefits you do, but some will only ever enjoy half of them because they don't have a vagina and endless number of useless boymen in line to gently caress/support them. That's why people kind of just eye roll at the whole "gender-pay-gap" the Obama administration and the left have been trumpeting to near silence for 10 loving years,

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

old fat bird posted:

White women replaced White men as the driving force behind popular media and society a while ago, you're still just living in a sexually male dominated world where you're all being lead around by your noses to blame people who enjoy literally the same economic and societal benefits you do, but some will only ever enjoy half of them because they don't have a vagina and endless number of useless boymen in line to gently caress/support them. That's why people kind of just eye roll at the whole "gender-pay-gap" the Obama administration and the left have been trumpeting to near silence for 10 loving years,

Goldmine

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Documentary about this horrible blight of women attacking young men in broad daylight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i25gZXQF2w&t=53s

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
if you add up all the money men and women make i'd expect those two numbers to be exactly the same number but they aren't!! can u believe?? now let's speculate wildly as to why

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

naem posted:

People in SF haven't figured this out yet it drives me nuts

Also I'm really clumsy and fairly solidly built and people bounce off my shoulders a lot no matter how I try to stumble out of their way when they randomly change directions against foot traffic
ya i work in the sf fidi and it's pretty bad, which would be fine except the sidewalks arent very big save for like market st. gotta love when there's like group of 2-3 people deep in their phone with giant bags orbitting their body walking really slowly. or lot of stubby old or asian women with those god awful lovely wheely-bag-suitcase things who just stop in the middle of a small sidewalk to take a selfie when there's a bunch of people walking right behind.

i admit im a very aggressive ped, but i'm a chill driver and dgaf when people do stupid poo poo while driving.

also death to anyone who stands on the left of an escalator or puts their suitcase there

polio king
Jun 19, 2004

TheWeepingHorse posted:

If you're about to collide with somebody, then veer right, don't do that weird "strangers' gavotte" dance where nobody knows what to do.

this is me literally every time

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Smythe posted:

my neighborhood is full of grossly fat children who apparently need ice cream to survive the periods between their parents buying them entire 2 liters of disgustingly sweet mexican soda so my street get hit by ice cream trucks multiple times an hour for 12 hours a day for 8 months.

I'm eventually going to crack and firebomb one of these trucks due to that loving song and to fight back against juvenile diabetes

client
Aug 19, 2010

poorlifedecision posted:

Anyway NYC ice cream truck drivers are basically roving street gangs that fight each other over territory. They can all go drive off a cliff.

gangs of new york 2 is going to own

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRGMAW1wzQ8

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
itt gbs is loud and proud about being old, cranky, misanthropic pieces of poo poo.

LOVE,
VITALIS.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

love this vid

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther

poisonpill posted:

Yeah it is when you're 20 and just waking up at noon to see the weird scene with some girl but I guess that's why gentrified neighborhoods always have kids

if you really hate the city you can lobotimize yourself and move to some boring place in the flatlands. It'd be cheaper too. Otherwise, wacky/dangerous/weird poo poo is a part of being around thousands of other people, especially NYC.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I honed my walking skills on the streets of New York. Now i'm ready to walk anywhere!!

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Breaking News! This just in, black people now huge pussies!

Later correction: New York Times writers now huge pussies.

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Magnitogorsk. posted:

What an entitled bitch buying a piece of property and thinking she has a right to speak up about unrepentant lawbreakers in the neighborhood. Other people have lived there in subsidized housing on other people's dime for YEARS, it's THEIR neighborhood

Guy Goodbody posted:

unironically this

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

wait who has more privilege points , white women or black men? I think it's black men right? men got the right to vote first.

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
I liked when the ice cream trucks used to play "Dixie." They don't do that anymore. It's a good song, plus it was funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ArbitraryC posted:

There was the whole manspreading poo poo

and this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1XGPvbWn0A

The parodies were really funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC21NF5rbSk

• Locked thread