Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
my new job gave me a Linux desktop and a MacBook Pro. I spent some time trying to make it work so that I could use the mac as a front end. eventually I had to give that up and surrender to the lovely Linux desktop.

it's been about 10 years since I used a Linux desktop environment seriously and it is still just as awful as I remember it. within 5 minutes I was already editing text configuration files just to try to make it more usable. besides the garbage rendering engine and display lag and general ugliness of it all, there are still some basic loving things that they haven't fixed this whole time. mind boggling.

can't use natural scrolling mode on mouse wheel. like, that isn't even an option. I used some loving command line utility with an init script to remap the buttons on my mouse. now it works fine except in some gnome windows, because who the gently caress knows why.

my desktop background crashed. yes, that's right. at some point during the day my desktop background disappeared and was replaced by some lovely default image. the gnome background setting was unable to set a new background. it literally stopped being able to set the background image.

Control-c/v for copy and paste. great idea on a unix machine, assholes. why can't I use this useless meta key that's on every loving keyboard and has a stupid windows logo on it? it doesn't work in terminal (control shift C), or at all in gvim. Spent time inputting arcane codes into rc files to enable gvim to have usable copy and paste. except after /, apparently that doesn't work.

speaking of terminal Control+n and control+t are standard shortcuts for new windows and tabs. except in some apps they don't work. notably terminal because gently caress you, that's why.

alt+f4 to close a window? what the gently caress. this is the dumbest thing on windows, why copy that?

selecting shutdown from the gnome menu logs me out instead of, you know, shutting down.

hitting a key to disable the screen saver and bring up the password prompt enters that key into the prompt. even if it's the escape key somehow.

this was all over the span of maybe 4 hours. gently caress, Linux desktop is a piece of poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
i reinstalled linus for my os class and the right side of my desktop flickers a solid black bar when i move a window too close to the edge sometimes.

sure i could figure it out or reinstall but :effort:

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

agreed but i really want to know who hurt to you to the point where 'natural scrolling' on a scroll wheel is your preferred option. hosed up if true

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

typing in the password immediately is good

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
just use the terminal op

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

just use windows like a normal person

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

if you suck this much at using a computer, why the hell are you in yospos

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
gnome 3 is poop from a butt

why did you use gnome if you expected to customize anything? the whole point of the project is that there is exactly one correct way to use gnome, and configuration knobs are for greybeards

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

configuration knobs are for greybeards

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
the default terninal doesnt support splits lol

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
op I have a macbook and a linux VM on the macbook

best workflow for me is to use X11-forwarding to start xfce4-terminal on the VM and display it on OSX, and then I can start other windows and stuff from there

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

just ssh into your linux server op

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Everything seems to 'just werk' better on my Ubuntu Mate laptop than my Win 10 laptop. I like it very much and prefer it over everything except Mac I guess

Edit: were you trying to use one of those low userbase nerd distros?

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

the default terninal doesnt support splits lol

just use tmux m8

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

mishaq posted:

just ssh into your linux server op

or this

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

You seem very tense.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
good points everyone, especially about me sucking. but the fact remains that Linux desktop is full on garbage and all of these suggestions are workarounds.

I went with the corporate standard desktop, didn't want to be a special snowflake. it's some ubuntu gnome whatever garbage. I didn't choose any of this.

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

The Management posted:

good points everyone, especially about me sucking. but the fact remains that Linux desktop is full on garbage and all of these suggestions are workarounds.

I went with the corporate standard desktop, didn't want to be a special snowflake. it's some ubuntu gnome whatever garbage. I didn't choose any of this.

just install kali and load all the hacking tools and use them to steal all the money you need so you don't need to work any more
ez
pz

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
your demands are incoherent OP, maybe you should code your own desktop (so people can say it sucks)

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

The Management posted:

my desktop background crashed. yes, that's right. at some point during the day my desktop background disappeared and was replaced by some lovely default image. the gnome background setting was unable to set a new background. it literally stopped being able to set the background image.

I remember Windows ME doing this like every 3rd time you powered the computer on, with a big "Desktop Recovery" button or some poo poo that all it did wsa put the image back.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

gnome has way too many concessions to windows., i agree.

with your terminal thing, ctrl-n and ctrl-t are probably sending whatever those commands are to the terminal, with gnome-terminal it's probably ctrl shift n/t

dont forget to try enabling emacs keybinds so you die from confusion

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
lol if you use a screensaver

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
lol, just lol if you lol

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
go hardcore neckbeard and make a custom hentai cyberpunk theme for your tiling wm of choice or don't try to use a server os on the loving desktop hth

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Maximum Leader posted:

don't try to use a server os on the loving desktop hth

I can't stress this enough. alas, I have no better options at the moment.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

The Management posted:

my new job gave me a Linux desktop and a MacBook Pro. I spent some time trying to make it work so that I could use the mac as a front end. eventually I had to give that up and surrender to the lovely Linux desktop.

it's been about 10 years since I used a Linux desktop environment seriously and it is still just as awful as I remember it. within 5 minutes I was already editing text configuration files just to try to make it more usable. besides the garbage rendering engine and display lag and general ugliness of it all, there are still some basic loving things that they haven't fixed this whole time. mind boggling.

can't use natural scrolling mode on mouse wheel. like, that isn't even an option. I used some loving command line utility with an init script to remap the buttons on my mouse. now it works fine except in some gnome windows, because who the gently caress knows why.

Control-c/v for copy and paste. great idea on a unix machine, assholes. why can't I use this useless meta key that's on every loving keyboard and has a stupid windows logo on it? it doesn't work in terminal (control shift C), or at all in gvim. Spent time inputting arcane codes into rc files to enable gvim to have usable copy and paste. except after /, apparently that doesn't work.

speaking of terminal Control+n and control+t are standard shortcuts for new windows and tabs. except in some apps they don't work. notably terminal because gently caress you, that's why.

alt+f4 to close a window? what the gently caress. this is the dumbest thing on windows, why copy that?

selecting shutdown from the gnome menu logs me out instead of, you know, shutting down.

hitting a key to disable the screen saver and bring up the password prompt enters that key into the prompt. even if it's the escape key somehow.

this was all over the span of maybe 4 hours. gently caress, Linux desktop is a piece of poo poo

hosed up op

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i think you're holding it wrong op

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

natural scrolling with a mouse wheel is like a non-inverted mouse in an fps: it's backwards and weird and makes no sense

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

I am the second illegitimate son of gawd who resides in hoaven.
I use awesome wm which means I have to spend literal days debugging my configuration files and every update breaks it. But I look sick nasty popping terms all over the place then using tmux to make it a even more cluttered and worthless.

What I am saying op is that I totes would pos ur neg gnome hole with my custom tailored arch system.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
switch to wmii

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Silver Alicorn posted:

switch to OS X

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

didnt read rated five based on title and personal experience

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

Sorry your using Gnome, Bad desktop environment. Try xfce, just don't use thunar to connect to network shares and you'll be alright.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

what’s the best spergy twm, I wanna outnerd my colleagues

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

stumpwm

just compiling it requires reading docs

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
preaching to the choir op
Linux on the desktop efforts should have stopped right after about osx 10.4. waste of man-hours we have the best *nix desktop ever devised

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

the spergiest spergs write their own

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

quit your job op

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

The Management posted:

Control-c/v for copy and paste. great idea on a unix machine, assholes. why can't I use this useless meta key that's on every loving keyboard and has a stupid windows logo on it?

because the meta key wasn't ubiquitous until the late 90s and if programs tied vital shortcuts to it nerds clacking away on 30 year old model m keyboards would bitch endlessly. blame ibm for not making it standard even though it existed on other designs back in the early 80s.

you can go into settings->keyboard and change the global quit command to something like alt+q that mimics the mac though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Use KDE OP also there is no the Linux desktop

• Locked thread