Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

The_Franz posted:

because the meta key wasn't ubiquitous until the late 90s and if programs tied vital shortcuts to it nerds clacking away on 30 year old model m keyboards would bitch endlessly. blame ibm for not making it standard even though it existed on other designs back in the early 80s.

you can go into settings->keyboard and change the global quit command to something like alt+q that mimics the mac though

looking forward to Linux supporting 104 key keyboards after the last 102 key owners die in 60 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

how's audio aka "sound" support on linux these days? we settle on a sound system yet?

also, wi-fi, can you do that on linux yet? multiple monitor support?

Colonel Taint
Mar 14, 2004

Yes you just have to not be a complete troglodyte.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

yes, yes and yes, mr. troll poster

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

what’s the best spergy twm, I wanna outnerd my colleagues

tmux

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The_Franz posted:

because the meta key wasn't ubiquitous until the late 90s and if programs tied vital shortcuts to it nerds clacking away on 30 year old model m keyboards would bitch endlessly. blame ibm for not making it standard even though it existed on other designs back in the early 80s.

you can go into settings->keyboard and change the global quit command to something like alt+q that mimics the mac though

meta is widely used by applications from the terminal-only era, so it is not super practical for global shortcuts

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
i hate to tell you this OP but it just sounds like you don't know much about linux or are bad at it

it's not that hard to use, and there are multiple functional wms. try lxde? it's basically windows 98 kinda or something? if that's too smart for you then gob ack to using the mac

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO
using linux on a desktop is a bad idea unless you've been using linux on a desktop for years... if they provided you with a mac why did you bother going for wayyy-too-hard-to-use ubuntu?

Colonel Taint
Mar 14, 2004

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

what’s the best spergy twm, I wanna outnerd my colleagues

xmonad.

You basically have to configure it using haskell.

This is an example config linked from the haskell/xmonad docs https://wiki.haskell.org/Xmonad/Config_archive/Brent_Yorgey%27s_darcs_xmonad.hs

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
spend like 5 days installing arch linux @ eventually give up at making the fonts look any good

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

if you are using a linux that isn't from red hat you are doing it wrong

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

The_Franz posted:

if you are using a linux that isn't from red hat you are doing it wrong

this x 1000

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
gnome is a lot better than any other desktop. You have some kinda insane stockholm syndrome from using the terrible aids infected osx too much. I pray for your recovery op. Namaste.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Seems most of your problem with the os are derived from you trying to give it aids (making it more like osx.) Think about it op
You're sick.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

osx is really good and nice

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

akadajet posted:

proprietary window system. no native x11 support. lame

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

akadajet posted:

it's ok, but gnome's window management is great once you learn the shortcuts. you can fling windows all over the desktop and between workspaces with just the keyboard while osx still requires you to drag things around for certain operations, like moving windows between workspaces

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
using linux is the only way to actually regain your virginity in this life

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

echinopsis posted:

oh, that explains why computer science is so huge at the catholic girls school nearby

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

akadajet posted:

pretty deece for running programs i guess but the window manager sucks bigly.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
even windows is better lmfao and if you factor in the epic snapping in win10 hell its not even in the same ballpark. needless to say the boys up in redmond really knocked it out of the park.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

The Management posted:

alt+f4 to close a window? what the gently caress. this is the dumbest thing on windows, why copy that?

dont both of those date from some motif-era standard

pram
Jun 10, 2001

echinopsis posted:

lol

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

already nerdin it up with tmux. so's everyone else. we gotta go fuckin nerdier!!!

Colonel Taint posted:

xmonad.

You basically have to configure it using haskell.

This is an example config linked from the haskell/xmonad docs https://wiki.haskell.org/Xmonad/Config_archive/Brent_Yorgey%27s_darcs_xmonad.hs

poo poo this might even be too nerdy

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

echinopsis posted:

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

kde is ugly as hell and the apps sucked but worked OK for me, OP. better than gnome

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

kde is ugly as hell and the apps sucked but worked OK for me, OP. better than gnome

wrong bitch gnome/linux is the best

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

OldAlias posted:

wrong bitch gnome/linux is the best

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

du -hast posted:

i hate to tell you this OP but it just sounds like you don't know much about linux or are bad at it

it's not that hard to use, and there are multiple functional wms. try lxde? it's basically windows 98 kinda or something? if that's too smart for you then gob ack to using the mac

yeah lxde is alright, it's basically a pre-configured openbox, and openbox is probably the best barebones floating windows manager. the config is pretty straight forward but it's XML (lol). might want to customize a bit or pull out and swap components

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

OldAlias posted:

yeah lxde is alright, it's basically a pre-configured openbox, and openbox is probably the best barebones floating windows manager. the config is pretty straight forward but it's XML (lol). might want to customize a bit or pull out and swap components

actually i prefer to rapidly insert my components until the wm is complete

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Goddamn you're using Ubuntu and gnome 3. I can feel your pain from here.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I remember when I was at university they had all rhel installed on their Linux exclusive desktops. But then, for no reason at all, they switched to Ubuntu, and they unsurprisingly became ultra unusable.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
lol if you

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

qhat posted:

I remember when I was at university they had all rhel installed on their Linux exclusive desktops. But then, for no reason at all, they switched to Ubuntu, and they unsurprisingly became ultra unusable.

ubuntu is the impure trailer-cooked meth of the world of impoverished and/or extremely autistic desktop linux users

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

gnome 3 is good but ubuntu is bad

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

gnome 3 is good but ubuntu is bad

actually, you'll find that all linux desktops are bad

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

jammyozzy posted:

I remember Windows ME doing this like every 3rd time you powered the computer on, with a big "Desktop Recovery" button or some poo poo that all it did wsa put the image back.

lol fuckin' Active Desktop

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

akadajet posted:

actually, you'll find that all linux desktops are bad

640x480 text-mode terminal

your move

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

mishaq posted:

ubuntu is the impure trailer-cooked meth of the world of impoverished and/or extremely autistic desktop linux users

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Captain Foo posted:

640x480 text-mode terminal

your move

ovms through the 3270 client

oh wait you meant linux not unix, nevermind

• Locked thread