Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
ah yes, the classic Linux desktop excuse that your distro / window manager is the wrong one and terrible but my distro / window manager is not broken garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The Management posted:

ah yes, the classic Linux desktop excuse that your distro / window manager is the wrong one and terrible but my distro / window manager is not broken garbage.

gnome 3 is fine but it was explicitly designed not to be customizable at all

hey why doesn't this motorcycle have four wheels and a tow hitch!?!

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

The Management posted:

your operating system is a piece of poo poo

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

The Management posted:

I mean IMO it's the window and package managers that ultimately decides how much of a pita the Linux is. Arch Linux at least has a usable package manager. But window managers almost universally suck on Linux.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the window manager situation is a microsm of the larger linux ecosystem

there are dozens of choices, but only a couple of them are mainstream.

there are standards and standards bodies, but most are poorly written, incomplete, or both.

it's nearly impossible to write your own window manager due to complexity and unwritten rules, but the answer to any question about design in the major projects is "gently caress off and write your own if you don't like it"

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Xfce is okay, it looks like hot poo poo, but at least it's lightweight and won't break on you.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

if you find only arch linux to `not suck` you are quietly telegraphing how huge of a turbonerd you actually are

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Captain Foo posted:

if you find only arch linux to `not suck` you are quietly telegraphing how huge of a turbonerd you actually are

can't be worse than ubuntu, right?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

can't be worse than ubuntu, right?

it is because of the time you have to sink into it to function as well (or poorly) as ubuntu

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
but ubuntu brand linux is the one microsoft recommends!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i think WSL supports fedora too, in case you wanted to be sure nothing worked

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lxss is pretty cool from an implementation standpoint

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

finaly, linux on the desktop

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
oh I didn't realize that was gonna be on the store. https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/commandline/2017/05/11/new-distros-coming-to-bashwsl-via-windows-store/

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
unironically the best way to use a loonix

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

infernal machines posted:

lmao this is great

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Ubuntu is wonderful and perfect and I am not suffering from Stockholm Syndrome/Being a Lazy Turd

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Boiled Water posted:

it is because of the time you have to sink into it to function as well (or poorly) as ubuntu

you don't have to sink any appreciable time into it for it to function well.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

the only annoying thing is initial setup but still you only do it once, it only takes like an hour, and there's a whole wiki page detailing the exact steps to take. there's even distros or arch that provide a pretty gui installer for incompetant computer janitors.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

gnu/windows looking good

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

qhat posted:

there's a whole wiki page detailing the exact steps to take.

so why not just make it work out of the box?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

gotta funroll-loops my bespoke kernel so my glorified BOFH wank fantasy text editor opens .3 µseconds faster

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

idk, it used to have an installer years ago but i guess it broke at some point and fixing it wasn't considered a priority given their resources, and installing using the wiki genuinely takes less than an hour even for a dumbass. but like i said, there's perfectly fine distros like antegros and manjaro that provide a user friendly installer.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

qhat posted:

fixing it wasn't considered a priority

linux.odf

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

sounds like you weren't interested in knowing a solution to your question at any rate.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

you know, sometimes i get the impression that some posters in the your operating system is a piece of poo poo subforum aren't posting entirely earnestly.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

you don't say

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

also lol if you don't think "yeah we broke it, but who cares, there's a wiki for lusers anyway" isn't the most linux response to the question "why doesn't this poo poo work out of the box?"

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

also lol if you don't think "yeah we broke it, but who cares, there's a wiki for lusers anyway" isn't the most linux response to the question "why doesn't this poo poo work out of the box?"

the response was actually "go fix it yourself", which at least more than one person did

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's weird how the only usable linux distros are the ones that sell corporate support, where the devs have actual funding, and aren't an unholy amalgam of hobbyist projects

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

it's kind of funny how tolerant some developers are of how frustrating it can sometimes be to install development libraries/tools/etc on operating systems like OSX, but meltdown at the sight of a wiki page and a command line.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

~*opens app store, types "xcode", clicks install*~

~*tears out hair in frustration*~

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

it's weird how the only usable linux distros are the ones that sell corporate support, where the devs have actual funding, and aren't an unholy amalgam of hobbyist projects

counter-point: arch is perfectly usable.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

~*opens app store, types "xcode", clicks install*~

~*tears out hair in frustration*~

still haven't managed to get gdb to work on OSX. installing mysql was a pain too and there was no consistent instructions online. then i installed arch and had everything i needed up and running within 2 hours.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
windows is the only platform suitable for professional software development work and now with lxss, you can even do amateur development!

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Shaggar posted:

windows is the only platform suitable for professional software development work.

i'd sooner use windows than osx. windows even has a linux shell now.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i stand by my assertion that linux is only useful if your goal is to make more linux.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

qhat posted:

still haven't managed to get gdb to work on OSX. installing mysql was a pain too and there was no consistent instructions online. then i installed arch and had everything i needed up and running within 2 hours.

Use lldb.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

i stand by my assertion that linux is only useful if your goal is to make more linux.

in tyool 2017, this is a large proportion of all technology jobs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
help help the gimmick posters are colliding

• Locked thread