Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

in tyool 2017, this is a large proportion of all technology jobs

linux is a cancer, consuming the heart of our industry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ultravoices posted:

help help the gimmick posters are colliding

the yospos motto

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
the emblem is three legged dogs trying to gently caress

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ultravoices posted:

the emblem is three legged dogs trying to gently caress

so we are brought back around to where we started

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

so we are brought back around to where we started

it's the next emoji for :modsknew:

CLASS 2 PERVERSION
Jan 19, 2010
i3 is pretty good

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

a very small horse posted:

i3 is pretty good

their website looks like poo poo
"i3 is a tiling window manager, completely written from scratch." lol. avoid.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

look at this garbage. you think _this_ is good???

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

akadajet posted:

what Linux users want is a giant text mode window that can be divided into smaller text windows. with an anime background

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

The Management posted:

what Linux users want is a giant text mode window that can be divided into smaller text windows. with an anime background

this is me but get that anime poo poo out of my face

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

akadajet posted:

When you screenshot your linux, you need to show off the following programs at a minimum: top, make, mount, git, and wpa-supplicant

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

didnt read the whole thread but the default scroll wheel behaviour is natural scrolling because it acts like the bottom of the wheel is dragging the page up or down. your finger moves down, the bottom of the wheel pulls the page up. op is broken in the head

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

The Management posted:

same but Sierra.jpg

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

qhat posted:

When you screenshot your linux, you need to show off the following programs at a minimum: top, make, mount, git, and wpa-supplicant

and the fact that you named your computer "lolita" lol

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

polyester concept posted:

didnt read the whole thread but the default scroll wheel behaviour is natural scrolling because it acts like the bottom of the wheel is dragging the page up or down. your finger moves down, the bottom of the wheel pulls the page up. op is broken in the head

wrong

you scroll down just like you move the scroll bar down or click the down arrow on the scroll bar, to move down the page. scroll wheel is just moving the scroll bar down several lines at a time

that's why natural scrolling is retarded, it changes the way scrolling has worked since the loving 70s because hurr durrrr it should be like sliding a newspaper around on a table like everyone does every day irl

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

A Pinball Wizard posted:

wrong

you scroll down just like you move the scroll bar down or click the down arrow on the scroll bar, to move down the page. scroll wheel is just moving the scroll bar down several lines at a time

that's why natural scrolling is retarded, it changes the way scrolling has worked since the loving 70s because hurr durrrr it should be like sliding a newspaper around on a table like everyone does every day irl

this is a correct post

the only thing ive had trouble with in os x is breaking my habit of scrolling naturally with a trackpad when moving around maps, my brain gets into smartphone mode

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Shaggar posted:

windows is the only platform suitable for professional software development work and now with lxss, you can even do amateur development!

now that windows is linux, i suppose you can do a bit more development with it.. interesting.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

also its still really funny when olds don't understand natural scrolling and spit all over their beards about it

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I kinda skimmed th is but did anyone tell op he has been using a linux the whole time before he got the desktop

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

akadajet posted:

tiling windows managers were a thing because the developers were too dumb to figure out floating windows, and the Linux tradition of using hobbled together garbage lives on to this day

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

i3 is still the least bad stock twm, defaults are mostly fine and it's fairly straight forward. you can do better than i3 but that takes time and effort maybe better spent doing anything else

pram
Jun 10, 2001
its bad op

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

akadajet posted:

ill be root@lolita, please

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Smythe posted:

ill be root@lolita, please

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Linux users are the litterrall worst

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Shaggar posted:

:grin:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

:agreed:, but not as bad as microsoft evangelists. hoo boy!

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

qhat posted:

Wrong. wpa-supplicant, to prove you got wifi working. Alsamixer to show you have sound. Top because htop is too legible. Conky with whatever meaningless info you want to fill it with. Also required is some wm that requires you to write piles of config files just to get basic things working that you've customized into tackier garbage.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

moonshine is...... posted:

Wrong. wpa-supplicant, to prove you got wifi working. Alsamixer to show you have sound. Top because htop is too legible. Conky with whatever meaningless info you want to fill it with. Also required is some wm that requires you to write piles of config files just to get basic things working that you've customized into tackier garbage.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

qhat posted:

Excuse me sir that is clearly htop suck a dick and die

akadajet posted:

and the fact that you named your computer "lolita" lol
What did you expect from someone who likes tiled WMs?

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
just use the mac. when you need linux, ssh into your linux server

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

JewKiller 3000 posted:

just use the mac. when you need linux, ssh into your aws instance

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
yeah, that's what i said

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

JewKiller 3000 posted:

just use the mac. when you need linux, open terminal.app

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

actually

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFUlAQZB9Ng

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
I use Lubuntu (lightweight linux derivative) in a VM for work, let winders handle the wIfI setup and don't use sound or multiple desktops. Multimonitor is a bit jank but 'good enough'.

Fullscreened VSCode for editor/terminal. Electron handles all the text rendering instead of looking like this and It's. Fine.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

qhat posted:

still haven't managed to get gdb to work on OSX. installing mysql was a pain too and there was no consistent instructions online. then i installed arch and had everything i needed up and running within 2 hours.

just use docker

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

just use docker

and vagrant if you need a specific kernel like I always seem to

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

JewKiller 3000 posted:

just use the mac. when you need linux, ssh into your linux server

this was the first thing I tried. there were limitations that made this impractical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
tell us what the limitations are so we can tell you why you're wrong explain the correct way

• Locked thread