Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
truck drivers are loving idiots i deal with them every day at work and they are some of the dumbest motherfuckers you'll ever meet. boy howdy do they like to whine about how hard it is to sit in air conditioning all day though.

e: the ATA and also the Teamsters are very powerful though so their jobs are probably safe for another couple decades

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Breakfast Feud posted:

From what I've seen a lot of the current technology relies on visual lane detection. I live in a city of almost 1 million where the lanes are almost always implicit. The winter destroys every lane marking so most streets only have distinct markings like, 1/3rd of the year. Driving here is sort of implicit. You position yourself mostly in the middle/left/right and follow the guy behind you or assume where the lanes on based on upcoming turning lanes or places where the road narrows. Self driving cars are totally not loving ready for this.

like this guy lmao

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

OldAlias posted:

test runs in ideal conditions don't prove anything. in the general, for the average consumer this poo poo isn't happening. trucks maybe, there could be distant pilots or minders and specific routes could be solved "well enough." in widespread use the varying geographies and local conditions bring up a shitload of edge cases and possible problems

yeah no one is saying they're ready to use literally right now today u jackass

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Pretend I wrote a parody post about something wacky like companies skimping on maintenance

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
okay nerds let's see some contradictory facts, cos I'll have you know I've watched at least 3 youtubes of self driving cars doing badly so I'm pretty much a phd

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

etalian posted:

Companies like Anheuser Busch have already done test run such as Colorado to SF successfully.

Won't someone think of all the Lot Lizard jobs that will soon be eliminated?

Bot lizards, duh.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

berth ell pup posted:

truck drivers are loving idiots i deal with them every day at work and they are some of the dumbest motherfuckers you'll ever meet. boy howdy do they like to whine about how hard it is to sit in air conditioning all day though.

e: the ATA and also the Teamsters are very powerful though so their jobs are probably safe for another couple decades

Most truckers are p cool. Usually the best drivers and the eyes on the road. poo poo I've drafted off truckers for miles and saved gallons of gas no problem. It's just every single walmart truck starts to drift lanes when you try to pass it. Literally every one. Takes like 5 minutes to get around one white knuckled even with no traffic.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer
When humans drive, we take these things into account:
- sight (arc of about 120 degrees, movable)
- hearing
- touch (to a small degree, feeling the texture of the roadway or changes in grade)
- memory of traffic laws and symbols (which may be inaccurate as a result of lack of study, forgetfulness, changes over time)
- memory of roadways already traveled ("this intersection is a little odd and I need to get into this lane if I want to turn left but go straight on the next street", etc)
- reaction time
- communication with other drivers (signal lights, hand signals)
- reasoning to make driving decisions when roadways/signs don't conform to the norm

That last one is definitely going to be our one strength over AI, but let's look at the rest:
- sight: with cameras, could have simultaneous 360 degree sight - this is a TREMENDOUS advantage, tech (partially*) exists right now. And what about other methods of "seeing"? Radar/lidar/GPS could all be employed, and some combination is likely going to be in the final products... your car will most likely know where you are much better than you do.
- hearing: external mics would be able to hear things muffled for human drivers by the car. This is likely to be only a small advantage. Tech exists right now.
- touch: accelerometers and gryometers should be on-par with humans, tech exists right now
- memory of traffic laws and symbols: practically instantaneous, complete knowledge of traffic laws/signs of whatever country/state/municipality you're in right now. The infrastructure for this may not be in place, but since the tech exists it's only a matter of time.
- memory of roadways: how about complete knowledge, practically instantaneous, of all roadways in the world changing in real time? The tech exists right now, and I scoff at anybody who suggests it's too big a task to get that mapping to the cloud. People didn't think Google was going to be able to pull off maps, and then street view, but here we are. Only a matter of time.
- reaction time: robots with faster reaction time than humans already exist, it's just a question of getting the algorithms for this particular application down.
- communication with other drivers: how about real time communication with not only a few close cars in our line of sight, but with cars around the corner that we can't even see, or how about all of the cars in a two-mile radius? The infrastructure doesn't exist yet, but the tech sure does, so once again it's just a matter of time.

So let's get to that last point: reasoning. It may be that reasoning to make good decisions in odd situations is still a couple of decades away. I contend that with all of the other advantages automation will have over human drivers, reasoning will become less important, and in the worst-case scenario, the car can just stop until an anomaly clears up or it's given direction.

* sight technology isn't *quite* there yet. I think that's our biggest hurdle right now. Image recognition is improving, but there was that one dude who died because his car couldn't see the truck in front of him. This is probably where most of the technological effort is going right now, and I see that improving dramatically over the next year or two.

Tinestram fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 22, 2017

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Most truckers are p cool. Usually the best drivers and the eyes on the road. poo poo I've drafted off truckers for miles and saved gallons of gas no problem. It's just every single walmart truck starts to drift lanes when you try to pass it. Literally every one. Takes like 5 minutes to get around one white knuckled even with no traffic.

to be fair there's a cool guy from ODFL that comes by pretty regularly he looks like the "go get your fuckin' shinebox" guy from goodfellas.

we contract with this local company to haul tanks and it's like loving deliverance going over to their office and i've never see so many mullets and rattails at one place.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Wizchine posted:

Preparing my deposit for a Tesla 3 after reading your comment. Thanks!

If tesla makes such a miserable POS at $100.000 I dare not think of what they'll deliver at half that.
Better prepare for a few recalls, doors that don't fit into frames, and other hilarious issues.

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.

ditty bout my clitty posted:

If tesla makes such a miserable POS at $100.000 I dare not think of what they'll deliver at half that.
Better prepare for a few recalls, doors that don't fit into frames, and other hilarious issues.

made in california by overpaid morons who can't be fired. what exactly were they expecting?

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
They loving build them in california? Jesus, no wonder their windows and sills don't align properly.
Why haven't they shipped production out to China yet?

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

berth ell pup posted:

to be fair there's a cool guy from ODFL that comes by pretty regularly he looks like the "go get your fuckin' shinebox" guy from goodfellas.

we contract with this local company to haul tanks and it's like loving deliverance going over to their office and i've never see so many mullets and rattails at one place.

:banjo:

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
Get this: I actually like to drive

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Wonder what all those rat tail retards are gonna do once sf Bay tech nerds take all their jobs.

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
I've never heard of an electric semi and that got me wondering. Could the top of a semi trailer covered in solar panels keep an electric semi powered or would it not be enough?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

My F-150 has Lane Keep Assist or whatever they call it but from what I understand it's nowhere near as good as Tesla's system. Or at least not as aggressive. Like you can't really let it drive for you but it will usually keep you from running into a guard rail or off the road or into oncoming traffic. For the most part it won't try to keep you centered in the lane, but it will try and prevent you from departing your lane.

But it only detects where the lanes are about 80 or 90% of the time.

It also occasionally starts turning into a bend 1/4 second before I was about to start turning into the bend which is kind of annoying. In a "bitch, i was just about to start turning" kind of way.

Sometimes it will also chime and flash a "keep your hand on the wheel" message when my hand is totally on the wheel, I just haven't had to make any minor steering inputs for 12 seconds or something.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Panamaniac posted:

I've never heard of an electric semi and that got me wondering. Could the top of a semi trailer covered in solar panels keep an electric semi powered or would it not be enough?

Not even close. It might be able to keep the A/C powered.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Panamaniac posted:

lmao

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
the clear solution to class struggle is to eliminate the bulk of the working class through obesity and lack of healthcare namaste

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

ditty bout my clitty posted:

They loving build them in california? Jesus, no wonder their windows and sills don't align properly.
Why haven't they shipped production out to China yet?

China wouldn't be a step up.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

etalian posted:

Won't someone think of all the Lot Lizard jobs that will soon be eliminated?

Truck drivers are needed. Those hookers aren't going to kill themselves.....

Think Thin!
Sep 17, 2006
loving nail-bomb this retard thread

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

he's right tho, there's a lot of people here pointing at what they perceive to be obvious flaws but in fact they actually have virtually no understanding of the technology

not everyone is an engineer or whatever, but maybe just don't say anything if u don't know what ur talking about?

Self driving cars are infallible and great - me seconds before my tesla decapitates me cause im too busy watching Harry Pottet to drive

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

underage at the vape shop posted:

Self driving cars are infallible and great - me seconds before my tesla decapitates me cause im too busy watching Harry Pottet to drive

Also I'm all the losers white knighting for a car company for some reason. Elon Musk is a messiah to a lot of morons.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
there are self driving cars on the road right now so i dont really see what the debate is

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
all I dream of is to one day have my self driving car drive me to Elon's house so I can suck the poo poo out of his puckered rear end in a top hat autonomously

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
my comment in another thread:

"Trucking is a miserable cutthroat business with massive turnover, no margins, and the moment automated trucks move out of carefully shepherded pilot programs a guidance system is going to crash a tanker full of gasoline into a orphanage because a customer called management saying the world was going to end if a delivery was 15 minutes late so dispatch sent the truck out without basic maintenance."

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
a truck cant drive itself. thats impossible.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

runupon cracker posted:

- memory of roadways: how about complete knowledge, practically instantaneous, of all roadways in the world changing in real time? The tech exists right now, and I scoff at anybody who suggests it's too big a task to get that mapping to the cloud. People didn't think Google was going to be able to pull off maps, and then street view, but here we are. Only a matter of time.
yeah so it's my understanding self-driving vehicles, as far as their computer brains can tell, exist inside a simulation. (they're following the map/model of the roadway uploaded into the computer.) which saves a whole lot of computational power which can then be used for the sensors / everything else.

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

just get an uber. slaves are better than robots.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
Yeah, technologically speaking we're pretty close* to self-driving cars that are as reliable as the average human (TBH not actually that reliable yet) with a combination of GPS + Camera + LIDAR + mesh networks between cars

The reason they're not 'just around the corner' in taking up the majority of the road isn't gonna be technological - it's gonna be political and social. Getting THAT poo poo sorted to have the public and govt happy with robots driving cars around is WAY more difficult.
Everything from 'if an accident DOES occur, who can we sue?' to 'this will reduce the budgetary income we get from speeding fines so they're banned in the county' to 'Obscure bible verse bans the devil from operating a horse and cart and THIS IS THE SAME AS THAT'

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Where are you guys getting this? Last I had heard Uber's program could only manage most of a mile without having a human intervene.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
http://www.ibtimes.com/robot-suicide-droid-security-guard-drowns-washington-dc-mall-fountain-2566885

A police robot killed itself in a fountain and you want to ride in a robot car?

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

R-Type posted:

Can't wait until these unmanned trucks hit somebody, or kill an entire family. Can't wait till the trucks are hacked and robbed, or hacked by terrorists and turn a city into a killing field. Can't wait for the terrorists to hijack one, plant bombs on it ad roll it into vital infrastructure. Can't wait until smug little douchebags that use the autodrive feature on Tesla's to get lulled into a false state of security and have a fatal accident. Wait, that's already happened.

rip michael hastings

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Automated trucking is going to be a real thing because you buy one robot that works 24/7, doesn't need sleep, healthcare, rest and it doesn't have any rights.
$$$$ rules and it will be cheaper to robot up some things to drive across the country and lmao if you somehow doubt the power of saving a buck.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

For that matter do they even have 18 wheels? Why so many wheels. Surely we can figure this out

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

KakerMix posted:

Automated trucking is going to be a real thing because you buy one robot that works 24/7, doesn't need sleep, healthcare, rest and it doesn't have any rights.
$$$$ rules and it will be cheaper to robot up some things to drive across the country and lmao if you somehow doubt the power of saving a buck.

When automated trucking does hit it will cause unholy chaos for the American workforce.

http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2015/02/05/382664837/map-the-most-common-job-in-every-state

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.

Noblesse Obliged posted:

For that matter do they even have 18 wheels? Why so many wheels. Surely we can figure this out

some don't and they're called supersingles! of any advantages or other differences i have no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Harald posted:

When automated trucking does hit it will cause unholy chaos for the American workforce.

http://www.npr.org/sections/money/2015/02/05/382664837/map-the-most-common-job-in-every-state

Where were u when the secretary wars happened?

• Locked thread