Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
LOL you're either a secretary or a janitor and everyone is laughing at your illiterate rear end.

"I know more about embedded systems than a Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering" - A Janitor

theperminator fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jul 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
they never mentioned how that discredits NASA's investigation which included actual tests on real vehicles, because it doesn't, but keep obsessing over that little "gotcha"

must be nice when life is so simple lol

Significant Ant
Jun 14, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I work in the field of controls engineering and am somewhat familiar with their self driving car system

The basic gist of it is that Tesla made the mistake of hiring computer scientists to do a controls engineers job

This seems to be a recurring problem (Google fired all of the control engineers and replaced them with CS fucktards too) in SV these days

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
even with everything humans have been able to accomplish, there's just no way they could get vehicles to navigate themselves in less than ideal conditions. it's just not possible. a loving pipe dream i tell you.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I work for a trucker company and they already got the self driving car tech good to go. They're still "testing" it though and will continue to do so for years unless something crazy happens. It needs to be perfect because if you get a truck smashing into some people or just crashing on its own it would be a PR nightmare

Some of the ideas they're floating around is self driving trucks, but with like a control tower that can supervise and potentially "take over" the cars in case the conditions get too difficult for the car to operate on its own

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Zo posted:

they never mentioned how that discredits NASA's investigation which included actual tests on real vehicles, because it doesn't, but keep obsessing over that little "gotcha"

must be nice when life is so simple lol

First of all NASA said that even though they didn't reproduce it, they were unable to rule out the ECU as the cause and points out that they were unaware that the RAM is non-ECC and incapable of detecting memory errors let alone correct them. they also didn't investigate all of the software.
Any engineer looking at the list of poo poo there will tell you it's a timebomb and I guess it helps to understand the implications of global variables and stack overflows.
Relying on standard SRAM for life critical systems is inexcusable, stack overflows are inexcusable, your ECU having to kill tasks to free up CPU time is inexcusable.

It's nice to be someone who actually knows what they're talking about.

Significant Ant
Jun 14, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Let’s step back for a moment and read what Tesla says about their autopilot on their website

quote:

To make sense of all of this data, a new onboard computer with over 40 times the computing power of the previous generation runs the new Tesla-developed neural net for vision, sonar and radar processing software. Together, this system provides a view of the world that a driver alone cannot access, seeing in every direction simultaneously, and on wavelengths that go far beyond the human senses.

Oh so they’re using NN

NN sort of have a reputation in the controls community because papers published with these kinds of results have a tendency to violate their own assumptions

That doesn’t stop CS degree guys from using them and markov chains all of the time

Also keep in mind your typical self driving car has more sensors and raw data going into its autopilot than what you would ever see on a pitch attitude hold for 20 million dollar fighter jet

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
MY question to all these loving trucker companies is why they don't just come up with flying autonomous transports instead. Like drones hauling cargo containers around? They could just go straight from point A to point B without having to deal with roads and other drivers

Like this thing, except 100x larger

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
i think theyre called helicopters

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

theperminator posted:

First of all NASA said that even though they didn't reproduce it, they were unable to rule out the ECU as the cause and points out that they were unaware that the RAM is non-ECC and incapable of detecting memory errors let alone correct them. they also didn't investigate all of the software.
Any engineer looking at the list of poo poo there will tell you it's a timebomb and I guess it helps to understand the implications of global variables and stack overflows.
Relying on standard SRAM for life critical systems is inexcusable, stack overflows are inexcusable, your ECU having to kill tasks to free up CPU time is inexcusable.

It's nice to be someone who actually knows what they're talking about.

well, i'm glad you're falling back to the "electronic gremlin" theory, because that's at least possible, in the exceedingly unlikely sense

let's not forget that while NASA played with the ecu, the nhtsa was doing the legwork examining the actual cars that allegedly accelerated unironically. the results are as lol as you expect

quote:

The results of NHTSA’s field inspections of vehicles involved in alleged UA incidents during
2010 supported this analysis. Those vehicle inspections, which included objective evidence from
event data recorders, indicated that drivers were applying the accelerator and not applying the
brake (or not applying it until the last second or so), except for one instance involving pedal
entrapment​

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Did someone mention the Wrong RAM?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Streak posted:

i think theyre called helicopters

self driving helicopters though??

Someone do this and become a trillionaire

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Zo posted:

well, i'm glad you're falling back to the "electronic gremlin" theory, because that's at least possible, in the exceedingly unlikely sense

let's not forget that while NASA played with the ecu, the nhtsa was doing the legwork examining the actual cars that allegedly accelerated unironically. the results are as lol as you expect

The same throttle position sensor supplying the main processor is what supplies the black box if I am understanding correctly. And while there are apparently two different sensors they run through the same input block on the same chip.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

theperminator posted:

The same throttle position sensor supplying the main processor is what supplies the black box if I am understanding correctly. And while there are apparently two different sensors they run through the same input block on the same chip.

even assuming that's true (the figure does not show the Event Data Recorder), you should still see brakes in the data, rather than only throttle instead of brakes

plus there's the whole thing where brakes should overpower acceleration, especially in most of the reported circumstances which are low speed. so if they actually stomped on brakes as they allege, they should be fine (or have faulty brakes which are easily checked). see, with respect to low speed incidents:

quote:

Incidents initiating at low speeds (i.e., from a stationary position or at a speed less than 15 MPH)
in scenarios where the driver was applying the brakes constitute by far the largest overall share
of complaints and crashes. Complaints throughout this category imply or explicitly state that the
vehicle accelerated immediately after the brake was applied and generally describe an incident
that runs its course in seconds and spanned very short distances.

quote:

NHTSA believes that these incidents are very likely the result of pedal misapplication. This
conclusion is based on the fact that application of the brake alone cannot cause acceleration and
that there is generally no evidence of a vehicle-based cause of the acceleration or of brake failure
in these incidents. Properly functioning brakes will provide enough force to overcome engine
torque, even at full throttle, and the conditions that can lead to loss of brake effectiveness (brake
fade and loss of vacuum) are not relevant to these types of incidents. Moreover, NASA indicates
in its report that it did not identify any failures in the Toyota ETC system that impacted the
braking system. Therefore, even if (as appears extremely unlikely), some type of flaw in that
system caused a UA incident, such a flaw would not be induced by applying the brake or inhibit
braking. The complainant’s apparently good faith assertion about having applied the brake is
contradicted by the absence of braking effectiveness, but strongly suggests that the driver was in
fact applying force to a pedal.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

Zzulu posted:

MY question to all these loving trucker companies is why they don't just come up with flying autonomous transports instead. Like drones hauling cargo containers around? They could just go straight from point A to point B without having to deal with roads and other drivers

Like this thing, except 100x larger

Because it'd make every item you buy at least twice as expensive compared to ground transport
Also only huge heavy-lift helicopters are able to lift a loaded shipping container

Oh, and helicopters have a habit of falling out of the sky on the regular.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

There's an ever increasing amount so we might as well give them something to do.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

Zzulu posted:

self driving helicopters though??

Someone do this and become a trillionaire

tacobell had drones delivering food a while ago iirc

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
The only people who experienced unintended acceleration in Toyotas were over the age of 65. Most of them in their 70s or older.
There was never a problem.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Who will ban normal cars first, insanely gay europe or gently caress retarded usa ??

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Serak posted:

Because it'd make every item you buy at least twice as expensive compared to ground transport
Also only huge heavy-lift helicopters are able to lift a loaded shipping container

Oh, and helicopters have a habit of falling out of the sky on the regular.

Yeah well, just make better tech

how hard could it be

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Yeah it's definitely the wrong ram that's what did it, certainly wasn't humans loving up like always. NASA is in on it, those pencil pushing ivory tower weenies.
Old people are def. not more likely to plow into a crowd or bike race or store front or rear end of someone at a stop light than an xbone on wheels.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

unpacked robinhood posted:

Who will ban normal cars first, insanely gay europe or gently caress retarded usa ??
One of the more repressive UAE states. Sharjah or something.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Former DILF posted:

I want a self-driving motorhome. Oh gosh, I guess I'll just go to sleep and WAKE UP IN A COOL NEW PLACE

E: gently caress, we're still in corn country? gently caress the midwest

get a boat and chart a course on the ocean

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
Man who babysits adult children all day instead of working in the real world thinks bad RAM causes senile old peope to hit the wrong pedal

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
I, too, cannot wait for the massive upheaval that will come when the fat cats behind Big Back Brace finally get their comeuppance.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Smythe posted:

Did someone mention the Wrong RAM?

The Tesla is the Xbone of automobiles.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I hope people start flashing bespoke ukrainian roms for performance on their top modern cars

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Inescapable Duck posted:

Then what happens when it snows?

Self-driving car AI isn't going to have to be just adequate. It's going to have to be really, incredibly good, able to function in any and all conditions, deal with emergencies and unexpected obstacles, and handle every piece of public road in the country.
This is what makes it hard to judge how close we are. I mean, the people working on this know this, it's not "HEH BETCHA DIDN'T THINK ABOUT SNOW", but it's still an immensely complex issue. On the other hand, a hell of a lot of effort is being put into solving it.

My hot take is that I don't know nearly enough about the subject to call it.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Significant Ant posted:

I work in the field of controls engineering and am somewhat familiar with their self driving car system

The basic gist of it is that Tesla made the mistake of hiring computer scientists to do a controls engineers job

This seems to be a recurring problem (Google fired all of the control engineers and replaced them with CS fucktards too) in SV these days

I'm a software engineer and this loving blows on my end too.

I love (hate) job postings that basically are prettied-up word-salad trying to disguise the fact that a company that doesn't really know what they need decided that they wanted to hire a "computer guy".

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
this thread is a good example of why techno-futurists are retarded

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
a self driving car is like the Terminator, can't be bargained with, can't be reasoned with, doesn't feel pity or remorse etc. except it's not a cold blooded killer but a terminal fucktard. think every time a computer or app has given you trouble, now make it a dozen thousand times heavier (extremely flammable lithium battery included), put yourself and your family inside it, and launch it to 80 mph on an extremely poorly maintained road. these things will hard reboot at highway speeds at best, at worst they'll get hacked the whole loving time because their "intelligence" is fake and they're tethered 24/7 to remote systems

computers are a stupefyingly bad technology and as a programmer I'm baffled at their deification. they're fancy calculators. they don't actually "think". a self driving car is not "aware" in any way form or shape of what's happening around it and it can't make "choices"

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
you are basically reinventing the train

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Streak posted:

even with everything humans have been able to accomplish, there's just no way they could get vehicles to navigate themselves in less than ideal conditions. it's just not possible. a loving pipe dream i tell you.

It can't be done today so it will never be possible.

Computers can fly to Mars and drive around there but it's impossible on Earth.

Those egghead computer jockeys probably never even heard of weather. The whole thing is absurd.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

hackbunny posted:

a self driving car is like the Terminator, can't be bargained with, can't be reasoned with, doesn't feel pity or remorse etc. except it's not a cold blooded killer but a terminal fucktard. think every time a computer or app has given you trouble, now make it a dozen thousand times heavier (extremely flammable lithium battery included), put yourself and your family inside it, and launch it to 80 mph on an extremely poorly maintained road. these things will hard reboot at highway speeds at best, at worst they'll get hacked the whole loving time because their "intelligence" is fake and they're tethered 24/7 to remote systems

computers are a stupefyingly bad technology and as a programmer I'm baffled at their deification. they're fancy calculators. they don't actually "think". a self driving car is not "aware" in any way form or shape of what's happening around it and it can't make "choices"

p much this, the semantics that AI developers use have been perverted and taken literally by laymen via lovely tech blogs and ted talks

self-driving cars will be safer than humans but the real barrier is getting someone to accept that every time they drive there's a .0001% chance the randomness gods select their car or a car in the vicinity to poo poo the bed and kill them, as opposed to human drivers being 10x more likely to murder someone or themselves but at least you feel like you're in control

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

If we can get the control program to recognize that you shouldn't try to win a race against a train at a crossing it's already better than a lot of human drivers.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

...and the pitch! posted:

Those egghead computer jockeys probably never even heard of weather. The whole thing is absurd.

SV will be a lake long before we get cars capable of driving themselves in all weathers on lovely american roads with imperfect mapping and GPS

like, people usually use 'frank the meth addict trucker" in their examples of human trucking vs. Ai trucking, but even Frank can see a traffic jam, Frank can see a hosed up parking lot space, Frank can recognize and stop for pedestrians, Frank doesn't lose all reliable sight in the rain.

It's not Crackhead vs. iCar, it's Crackhead vs. Slightly more advanced Roomba.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The point where self-driving cars are viable is the point where AI is going to be practically sentient.

And then I bet we'll invent viruses that make them drunk.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

counterpoints...

computers can't fly to mars or can only do so pretty bad. I don't remember the exact figures but I'm willing to bet that a majority of mars missions failed, and that's with round the clock monitoring from a huge team of trained pros. also no traffic on mars, around mars or on the way to mars

egghead computer jockeys are fully aware of the limits of the system but it's not them calling the shots

If we can get the control program to recognize that you shouldn't try to win a race against a train at a crossing it's already better than a lot of human drivers.

that's the hell of it: a self driving car has no idea what a race, train, crossing or winning are. they're incredibly dumb, dumber than the dumbest animal you've ever known. they'll be preprogrammed (often in ways not fully understood to the programmers themselves, like neural networks) with a very vague outline of what a train crossing looks like to its sensors (have you ever seen what a self driving car sees? for all the fancy sensors they're drat near blind). knowledge of trains won't probably even be programmed in the system, they'll just pray and hope the topic never comes up (and blame the user when it inevitably does)

I'm not doing a hot take by saying the self driving car is an expensive reinvention of the train. it will kill private vehicle ownership, and turn roads into all but railways. it's the only way it can be made to work

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Nearly every benefit of self-driving cars could be accomplished today by functional public transport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Steinfeld
Dec 25, 2012
Remember that time a Tesla model S couldn't even complete a full Nurburgring lap without knocking power down so it didn't burst into flames?

• Locked thread