Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

spankmeister posted:

Nah mate high voltage low current.

agreed, i meant more in the way of a 6922 is not a set of huge beam triodes requiring 500w just to emit electrons

tubes are fun because if your blocking/filter caps die, the effects are spectacular and expensive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

DJ Commie posted:

agreed, i meant more in the way of a 6922 is not a set of huge beam triodes requiring 500w just to emit electrons

tubes are fun because if your blocking/filter caps die, the effects are spectacular and expensive

I still have this unfinished project with soviet GM-70 tubes, which runs at like 1kV. yikes.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

flakeloaf posted:

<3

i'd thought it was that they'd been bought out by creative but it turns out they were bought out by the gouvernement du quebec to keep them from getting bought out by creative, which would've been way better than watching them splash around gulping water and making 16-bit gurgling noises for a few years and then getting hauled in by a taiwanese fishing boat

i think creative are a shameful company but putting a game port on a game card was a no brainer, and the sb16 was almost as amazing as its competitors' painful inability to make a competing version

Sadly the SB16 has a bunch of dumb bugs that kind of ruin it for ~vintage computer hobby~ uses, such as the CQM replacement for the OPL3 being awful and it having an asinine bug if you use MIDI out while doing sound effects. Example: Doom with an SC-55.
The AWE64 is the perfect retro card tho, were it not for the lack of an OPL3.

old sound card spergin' is my jam. My 486 has a Soundblaster 2 clone with ~genuine OPL3~.

Sound Blaster Pro 2 (The best one with OPl3 and no midi bug) goes for like 100 bucks plus on ebay because it's really the best thing you can get for that period.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sound card spergin eh?

*Looks at my AdLib Gold card

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

I own an actual MT-32 and have yet to really use it for anything because games that old tend to fall right off my nostalgia horizon, because I'm a literal babby.
Using my iphone to emulate an SC-55 is loving awesome tho and holy poo poo Doom sounds incredible with that.

Yeah I totally feed it to line in on the lovely ISA audio cards for that sweet crisp noise-filled sound warmth.

E: Also I think it was less the game port that was the brilliance in Creative's push to make SB the de facto card, rather it was their realization that you could use one port to do Midi out and joystick in because neither of those uses too many pins, so with like, say, 15 or so- you're totally covered for both, even simultaniously.

And you can fit that beside the 3.5 jacks on your card, so you're all set.

I've always looked at the SB16 as kind of a POS but I guess that's because I'm looking at it historically as compared to an AWE32/64 or earler Sb Pro. It's got a bunch of dumb bugs that make it useless like I mentioned above- but was it really hot poo poo when it was new?

SRQ fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Aug 1, 2017

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

i remember it fondly cause i could just plug my lovely gravis gamepad into it, SET BLASTER and have everything Just Work for my idiot child games without having to mess with riser cards. I think all of the serious MIDI music people were using Adlibs or Roland LAPCs at the time

"at the time" being the operative phrase here; a nostalgia pc today built today would most definitely have an awesomething in it, except my dumb rear end would have to go buy one because i through mine out the day i conceded nforce onboard audio sounded fine

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

SRQ posted:

I own an actual MT-32 and have yet to really use it for anything because games that old tend to fall right off my nostalgia horizon, because I'm a literal babby.
Using my iphone to emulate an SC-55 is loving awesome tho and holy poo poo Doom sounds incredible with that.

Yeah I totally feed it to line in on the lovely ISA audio cards for that sweet crisp noise-filled sound warmth.

E: Also I think it was less the game port that was the brilliance in Creative's push to make SB the de facto card, rather it was their realization that you could use one port to do Midi out and joystick in because neither of those uses too many pins, so with like, say, 15 or so- you're totally covered for both, even simultaniously.

And you can fit that beside the 3.5 jacks on your card, so you're all set.

I've always looked at the SB16 as kind of a POS but I guess that's because I'm looking at it historically as compared to an AWE32/64 or earler Sb Pro. It's got a bunch of dumb bugs that make it useless like I mentioned above- but was it really hot poo poo when it was new?

I have some cards & stuff AWE64 gold, GUS classic, AdLib gold, AWE32, PAS16, MT-32, SC-155, DB50XG and a CM-64 oh and an actual MPU-401

But rarely use them. I like lucasarts and Sierra classics so the MT-32 is best for that.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
oh boy i love ogling audiophile nutters

has anyone posted about the $10,000 ethernet cable yet

https://arstechnica.com/staff/2015/02/to-the-audiophile-this-10000-ethernet-cable-apparently-makes-sense/

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
or any of machine dynamica's insanity

like the Clever Little Clock that makes your music sound better by tuning the Time Particles to eliminate temporal mismatch between when the music was recorded and when you're listening to it http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina42.htm

or the DARK MATTER OPTICAL DISC COATING http://www.machinadynamica.com/machina51.htm

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lol if you don't immediately understand that machnia dynamica is an elaborate piss take

they will ship the stuff if people order it but it's a joke

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
it's in time cube territory where i don't know if i believe that it's entirely a joke

it's just so drat elaborate, and like you said, he does actually offer all this poo poo for sale

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i rocked a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz from like 2001 through... 2009? i think i had to abandon it when i went to vista, or 7. but then i got speakers that took SPDIF so i didn't give a poo poo about motherboard DAC quality any more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

spankmeister posted:

I have some cards & stuff AWE64 gold, GUS classic, AdLib gold, AWE32, PAS16, MT-32, SC-155, DB50XG and a CM-64 oh and an actual MPU-401

But rarely use them. I like lucasarts and Sierra classics so the MT-32 is best for that.

you should send me one or two or all of them.

a friend and I like to joke whenever we pick up a system that it has a GUS on it because lmao those are so rare.

• Locked thread