Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pram
Jun 10, 2001
yeah but it gave your lovely onboard audio warmth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_WkKz1LJbQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=px7LqMMSdz8

i can't even fathom how much money this mentally ill guy wasted on all of that

e: just that paper he puts on everything is $25 a sheet
e2: this guy was banned from headfi.org for being too crazy

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 30, 2017

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The_Franz posted:

e2: this guy was banned from headfi.org for being too crazy

This is really saying something

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
is headfi.org the forum that banned double-blind testing or is that a different one?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pram posted:

yeah but it gave your lovely onboard audio warmth

literally

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

wdarkk posted:

is headfi.org the forum that banned double-blind testing or is that a different one?

I looked up the rules on their forum and they restrict all objectivity to one subforum:

"If what you want to post includes words/phrases like "placebo," "expectation bias," "ABX," "blind testing," etc., please post it in the Sound Science forum."
https://www.head-fi.org/articles/terms-of-service.6725/

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I'm reading their science subforum and the first two threads I clicked were: 1) a guy skeptically asking for scientific studies that prove loud sounds can cause hearing damage and 2) A guy arguing angrily that 2 files with the same binary data can have different sound quality.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

something awfuls tagline literally predicted the future

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Salt Fish posted:

I'm reading their science subforum and the first two threads I clicked were: 1) a guy skeptically asking for scientific studies that prove loud sounds can cause hearing damage and 2) A guy arguing angrily that 2 files with the same binary data can have different sound quality.

THE WARMTH OF THE BITS

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

found that a function called memcpy was the culprit, most memory players use memcpy and this is one of the reasons why memory play sounds worse ie digital sounding. Fortunately there is an optimised version of memcpy from http://www.agner.org/optimize/, using this version removes the hard edge produced by memcpy. the other thing I did was to close the file after reading into the buffer.

also most players use malloc to get memory while new is the c++ method and sounds better.

Forward Toward
Aug 14, 2015

No Tank You. not today tanks. Tank you very much.

TANK TANK TANK

VRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Don't forget to connect them with high quality cables, the best are directional, so the bits have priority and get to your DAC unmolested. http://www.audioquest.com/ethernet/vodka

Edit: haha- cables only marginally pass 6e standards https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/07/340-audiophile-ethernet-cable-gets-a-marginal-pass-on-the-test-bench/

Forward Toward fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jul 30, 2017

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Forward Toward posted:

Don't forget to connect them with high quality cables, the best are directional, so the bits have priority and get to your DAC unmolested. http://www.audioquest.com/ethernet/vodka

Edit: haha- cables only marginally pass 6e standards https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/07/340-audiophile-ethernet-cable-gets-a-marginal-pass-on-the-test-bench/

this was a delightful sunday morning read, ty :tipshat:

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

pram posted:

i remember this motherboard lol

holy poo poo i didn't realize that was a motherboard until you posted this. i thought it was some random lovely amp

loving lol

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

ahaha i forgot about the ac97 audio nonsense there, literally the only difference between that board and mine was i didnt have a vacuum tube on it so it was half the price

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

otoh the vacuum tube likely actually *does* something. something that can be heard by human ears at that. so sort of a far lower rung of madness than the "different copies of the same bits having different sound" that starts the thread off

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

someone should make a quality laptop, that next to the keyboard has a socket where one can insert a tube which, if present, is used for the amp. i could respect that. just the right level of insanity.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
make it a phone instead, and sell an external battery pack so you can have a battery life longer than 30 minutes. the external pack is just a car battery in a gigantic fanny pack

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
tubes use a comparatively large amount of power but not that much

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

i wonder if anyone has put tubes on a soundblaster

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

someone should make a quality laptop, that next to the keyboard has a socket where one can insert a tube which, if present, is used for the amp. i could respect that. just the right level of insanity.
Your POSTS ARE WORTHLESS GARBAGE AND you ACT LIKE A PEDANTIC FUCKWIT

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

while i'm sure that's true does it need to be said here

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

DJ Commie posted:

tubes use a comparatively large amount of power but not that much
Mostly the heaters.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Millstone posted:

Your POSTS ARE WORTHLESS GARBAGE AND you ACT LIKE A PEDANTIC FUCKWIT

feel free to buy me an avatar elucidating the matter further

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

someone should make a quality laptop, that next to the keyboard has a socket where one can insert a tube

go on

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

an audiophile what listens to spotify

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

SRQ posted:

this is such an obscure and amazing joke
only in the pos

speaking of which it makes me endlessly salty that Canada was a tech powerhouse in the early/mid 90s and late 80s (ATi, Adlib, Gravis Ultrasound). I mean gently caress me if you had a 486 in 91 with the best poo poo it was probably Canadian.

and every single one of these companies failed spectactularly in some way, as they all do, as Rimm did, as Nortel did, as everything since and before and in the future. gently caress sakes.

I suppose ATi didn't quite fail, they were competive throughout their entire history, but getting bought out counts as failure gently caress u I want those profits staying inside Canada.
:canada:

<3

i'd thought it was that they'd been bought out by creative but it turns out they were bought out by the gouvernement du quebec to keep them from getting bought out by creative, which would've been way better than watching them splash around gulping water and making 16-bit gurgling noises for a few years and then getting hauled in by a taiwanese fishing boat

i think creative are a shameful company but putting a game port on a game card was a no brainer, and the sb16 was almost as amazing as its competitors' painful inability to make a competing version

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."
ran into some guy online a few weeks back on a discord talking about his $1000s of audio equipment for the most pure sounds...then when I asked him about his opinion on flacs he didn't know what those were, and then I found out he just listens to music on youtube

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

high end audio equipment is marketed towards idiots

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I’m trying to get a sansui automatic turntable

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Whatever, if you only spend "a few thousand dollars" you're not really even scratching the surface of audiophilia.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
any computer nowadays is plenty able to compute high quality audio, but it really comes down to analog to digital or digital to analog conversion after playing something that's 16-24 bit and 44.1 is probably good enough depending on what was recorded, how it was recorded and the way it was mixed

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]

All I want for Christmas is for this to please please be real and part of their actual marketing strategy

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

any computer nowadays is plenty able to compute high quality audio, but it really comes down to analog to digital or digital to analog conversion after playing something that's 16-24 bit and 44.1 is probably good enough depending on what was recorded, how it was recorded and the way it was mixed
high resolution music is loving hilarious, especially since in some cases it actually raises the noise floor [from totally imperceptible to another, slightly higher but still totally imperceptible value]

dacs that were "reference quality" 20 years ago are like pennies in bulk now but that doesn't stop audio companies from finding esoteric and ugly ways to charge 5 figgies for them

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
The ultimate military grade USB Audio output for desktop PCs

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

qirex posted:

high resolution music is loving hilarious, especially since in some cases it actually raises the noise floor [from totally imperceptible to another, slightly higher but still totally imperceptible value]

dacs that were "reference quality" 20 years ago are like pennies in bulk now but that doesn't stop audio companies from finding esoteric and ugly ways to charge 5 figgies for them

even mp3s can sound a lot better than they used to because of the improvements made to the encoding. it's absurd what people can convince themselves what formats sound better than others too, when they can virtually sound the same (flac vs wav or apple lossless)

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Once you're beyond £500-600 of amp and speakers the single biggest thing impacting the sound is the room you play it in. It's amazing how many people buy multi thousand pound speakers systems then stick the speakers behind the couch or in a corner

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

love the dudes on avs who have like 2 JBL M2s [5 feet tall x 2 feet wide] in a normal suburban living room flanking a 48" tv

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

spankmeister posted:

Mostly the heaters.

isn't it more the grid/plate voltages rather than the 2watt heater?

not that it matters because lol netburst tdp is 20x that heater power

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

qirex posted:

love the dudes on avs who have like 2 JBL M2s [5 feet tall x 2 feet wide] in a normal suburban living room flanking a 48" tv

i know it's totally pointless, and all you need a solid system with tiny surround speakers with a decent sub, and it will sound fine

also lol at all the at-home-producers making their audio mix sound good only on their expensive monitors without near-field monitors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

DJ Commie posted:

isn't it more the grid/plate voltages rather than the 2watt heater?

not that it matters because lol netburst tdp is 20x that heater power

Nah mate high voltage low current.

• Locked thread