Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

The Sky Burns.
Houses Collapse into ruin.
People fall to the ground.
Roads come to an end.

The conflict started here.
With this, the world that was will be restored.
It is here that “I” alone had survived.

Don't Remember/Never Forget.
Oblivion is salvation and sin.
Never forget.

"I" was born from Perdition.

The year is 1999. One week before the clock strikes the birth of a new milennium. And the small town of Charity, Washington state, on the surface, is no different then any other. However, on the underside of this town trouble is brewing. It is the site of a ritual, a secret war between modern day magic users.

The Holy Grail War. A battle between Seven Masters, who summon Heroic Spirits. Beings from myth, legend, and history, made manfiest in containers called Servants. They do battle, the winner aquiring the ultimate prize. The Holy Grail itself.

You and one other Master find yourself in front of Jeanne D'Arc, Servant Ruler, having called forth your Servant by some method. As the Administrator of the Holy Grail War, she will gladly answer any questions before the battle begins.

What is this?

It's a tabletop game based off the Fate franchise of anime and games by Type Moon. Taking the concept of the Holy Grail War, in which wizards summon heroes to a fight to the death.

You're either a Magus, coming to the war as planned, a random person, or even a Servant itself.

How many players?

I'll need four players. Two will be Masters and two will be Servants. However, this won't be a PvP game despite the concept, whatever situation comes up the two Master players are going to be teaming up. Just easier that way.

Wait Atomic Robo...?

Yes, I'm using the Atomic Robo book as the baseline for the rules. Though there are, of course, some house rules for this game.

Command Spells

Each Master gets three Command Spells. These Command Spells can be used to give a Servant any order. If they're halfway across town and you want them next to you, use one and they'll be there. If they refuse to do something? Show them who's boss. Try to kill you? Not if they kill themselves first.

Mechanically you can use these basically like supercharged Fate points on the Servant. They can be used to create any aspect you want on the Servant, or you can use them to give +3 to any roll the Servant is doing.

Magecraft

While Atomic Robo is pure Science, we have Magic in this game. Luckily, Type Moon's supernatural stuff is pretty structured. Basically if you want, you can give your character the "Magecraft" skill Mode. Which is similar to the Science Mode, right up to you being able to reinforce specialties. Like say, Alchemy, Divinination, or more esoteric magic fields like say Perfect Sword Copying. Feel free to be creative. However, if you want to fight using magic, just use Combat for that. Or get a stunt that lets you use Magecraft with it. Either works.

Servant Modes, Servant Stunts, and Noble Phantasms

Servants are divided into seven (Technically more, but the others are esoteric and aren't going to be used by players) classes. As such, any Servant character must include a Servant Mode as one of their three. The Servant Modes are the following.

quote:

Saber: Combat(2), Will(1), Athletics(2) - 5
Lancer: Combat(2), Notice(1), Stealth(2) - 5
Archer: Combat(2), Athletics(2), Notice(1) - 5
Rider: Combat(2), Riding(2), Notice(1) -5
Caster: Combat(2), Magecraft(0+1), Will(1) - 4
Assassin: Combat(2), Stealth(2), Burglary(1) - 5
Berserker: Combat(2), Physique(1), Provoke(1) - 4

The class names are fairly descriptive of the type of character you're going to want that mode for. But feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Riding is a reskinned Vehicles, fyi.

Also, we're bending the rules a bit. Each Servant character gets the Servant stunt for free:

quote:

Servant X
Absolutely stronger then any human (Skill of choice), but at a cost.
Mundane Weaponry Proof

You can add more effects to this stunt if you want.

Mundane Weaponry Proof is an effect meaning that Servants can not be harmed by anything not supernatural. You'll need a magic spell, or a magical item, or something mystic to be able to even scratch them. Servants, by their nature, are supernatural but Masters have to put in a bit more effort.

Next, the Noble Phantasm. Noble Phantasm is an item, weapon, or skill, that symbolizes the legend and power of the Heroic Spirit. Excalibur would be an example of a Noble Phantasm.

Every Servant needs one, they're going to be used as Mega-Stunts. And they're going to be powerful ones. Since using your Noble Phantasm will cost a Fate Point, or the Master using a Command Spell. So feel free to go nuts.

Finally, Servants extra Stunt Effect Budget. While a Master will only be able to have standard five effects from their stunts and mega-stunts before I start getting more Fate Points, Servants can have up to seven effects (not counting the free "Servant" Stunt effects) before I start getting more points in my pool.

Here's Ruler, serving as an example for Servant players. Plus she'll be an NPC in the game. :v:

quote:

Jeanne D'Arc

Good: Saint (Empathy(3), Will(1), Divine Protection(2) - 6)
Fair: Ruler (Combat(2), Empathy(3), Will(1), Wisdom of the Grail(1) - 7)
Average: Banter (Contacts(1), Deceive(2), Empathy(3), Provoke(1), Rapport(1), Will(1) - 9)

Superb: Empathy, Will, Divine Protection
Great:
Good: Wisdom of the Grail, Combat
Fair: Rapport, Provoke
Average: Contacts, Deceive

Concept: Administrator of the Holy Grail War
Saint Aspect: The Martyred Savior of France
Ruler Aspect: Loving Administrator
Rapport Aspect: The Woman who Lead France to Victory
Omega Aspect: Ordinary Girl called by God

Physical Stress: [ ] [ ]
Mental Stress: [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]

Noble Phantasm:

Luminosité Eternelle: God is Here With Me
- Jeanne and anyone near her become immune to all damage, but at a cost.

La Pucelle: The Crimson Holy Virgin
- The very flames that took Jeanne D'Arc's life will destroy whatever Jeanne wishes
- Jeanne will die after using it.

Stunts:
Servant Ruler
- Absolutely stronger then any human (Wisdom of the Grail), but at a cost.
- Mundane Weaponry Proof
- Armor:2

Magic Resistance Rank EX
- Magecraft proof, but at a cost.

True Name Discernment
- +2 to Defending with Empathy against other Servants
- +2 to Creating an Advantage with Will against other Servants

Revelation
- +2 to Creating an Advantage with Divine Protection when on Holy Ground.

Divine Protection: A Saint chosen by God, she is still protected by Him.

- She will be warned of danger, allowing her to sense it before it comes. (Overcome)
- Through prayer, she can be enlightened on the nature of the land around her (Create an Advantage)
- Able to detect when others are trying to use Stealth or other such skills to infiltrate the area. (Defend)
- She will be shielded from supernatural forces attempting to harm her directly or indirectly. (Defend)

Wisdom of the Grail: The knowledge granted to Ruler by the Grail to know the lay of the land the Holy Grail War is settled on.
- The ability to know any sort of mundane information required to serve as Administrator. (Overcome)
- Put this knowledge to use by being able to find a particular person or location. (Create an advantage)
- Know when any others are attempting to manipulate the mystical fabric of the area. (Overcome)

Do I have to have read/watched/played any Fate stuff?

No. I'll explain the general lore And don't worry about if a Mythological Figure has already appeared in a Fate work. It's canon that different aspects and interpretations of a Heroic's Spirit's legend can be summoned. So feel free to be different then the official material.

Or literally play a Servant from official Fate material. As long as you have a character sheet for them, I don't care.

Also, feel free to turn any Hero into a girl if you want, it's a thing Fate does.

How is this being played
It's going to be played on a Discord channel, text only. Click here to come into it. Once I have the players picked out we can work on scheduling. Though I'd like to be able to play two days a week.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
How long are you going to have apps open? Putting up an interest post even if I probably won't be able to app for a week.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There we are, I'm a sucker for Fate.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

GodFish posted:

How long are you going to have apps open? Putting up an interest post even if I probably won't be able to app for a week.

I knew I forgot something. :doh:

Apps will be open for a week and a half I think. Also, feel free to submit both a Master and Servant for play, to maximize options for you and others.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

There's a Holy Grail Curse of all of F/SN games on SA dying OP. But if you're making it Discord-based instead of PBP, hm...

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Dr Pepper posted:

I knew I forgot something. :doh:

Apps will be open for a week and a half I think. Also, feel free to submit both a Master and Servant for play, to maximize options for you and others.

Niiice

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I don't know anything about the lore of Fate/Stuff, but I am interested in this. I'll see what I can whip out.

e: and by Fate/Stuff I mean the series such as Fate/Eterna. I do know about FATE, the RPG system. :V

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jul 24, 2017

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Lancer Sun Wukong

Born from an egg on a mountain top~
The funkiest monkey that ever popped~
She knew every magic trick under the sun~
To tease the Gods and everyone
And have some fun~

That's me~! The Monkey King, Great Sage Equal To Heaven, Sun Wukong! Oh wait, I'm not supposed to say my name, aren't I? Scratch that, just call me Lancer. If you don't know my story, you're missing out! The handsome king of the monkeys who learned the ways of the Tao, defied the heavens themselves, and journeyed to the wilds of India to obtain Buddhist knowledge, aren't you intrigued already?! Now, thing is, I got the ol' enlightenment for doing all that, so from what I understand, I really shouldn't be getting reincarnated like this. But apparently this isn't really a reincarnation, just another me? Hmmm...I don't know how the Buddha would like that, but it's a chance for me to have some fun, so I'll let it pass, haha!

So, how about it? Think you got the guts to be my Master?

quote:

Sun Wukong

Good: Buddha: Enlightenment (2), Will (1), Empathy (3), Notice (1) - 7
Fair: Lancer: Combat(2), Notice(1), Stealth(2) - 5
Average: Banter: Contacts(1), Deceive(2), Empathy(3), Provoke(1), Rapport(1), Will(1) - 9

+5: Enlightenment
+4: Will, Empathy, Notice, Combat
+3: Provoke
+2: Stealth
+1: Contacts, Deceive, Rapport

Concept: The Monkey King
Buddha: Faithful Monk
Lancer: Honorable Duelist
Banter: Smart-Mouthed Little Ape
Free: Eternal Prankster

Noble Phantasm:

Ruyi Jingu Bang: The As-You-Like Staff
This size changing cudgel can either attack at any distance or add up to +3 to an attack at a cost

Stunts:

Servant Lancer
Absolutely stronger then any human (Enlightenment), but at a cost.
Mundane Weaponry Proof

The Firey Golden Eyes
+2 to Enlightenment when facing evil opponents
+2 to Overcome against evil opponents

Magic Resistance Rank B
Mostly magecraft proof, but at a cost

Cloud Walking
Can spend a Fate point to summon a cloud and grant free movement around an entire area

Enlightenment - As a Buddha, Sun Wukong has achieved Nirvana and freedom from the samsara.

Sun Wukong can clear her mind and assess a situation to find opportunities (Create an Advantage)
Sun Wukong can use intense focus to achieve her goals without distraction (Overcome)

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jul 30, 2017

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
tentative interest post, probably some sort of Archer, if we're claiming Servant spots.

E: right, should've said at least an Archer.

PurplieNurplie fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 27, 2017

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I also need Masters. Two Masters and Two Servants.

Auraboks
Mar 24, 2013

...huh?
Making a Master. And probably a Servant, too (Caster), but that's secondary.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

I'll put up a master, as soon as I nail down a concept I like enough.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

So now some of the rest of you might be asking, Fred, buddy, what happened?

And I’m going to tell you that, honestly, and in full truth, and without any sort of exaggeration, that this is not how I had planned things going.

There I am, my usual amazing self, getting kicked out of sister’s apartment, because I don’t have a job and because her best friend is angry that we broke up and I never do anything useful and don’t have a future and, you know, all that usual older sister stuff. And I’m like, well, I’m sorry that not all of us can be the assistant manager of Benofsky’s Breakfast Bagels and Brisket, because some of us aren’t dead inside and anyways if you wanted me to work so darn bad why did you fire me?

Well, Elisabeth did her usual grumping about how I just don’t get it and how I’m never responsible and after I bummed around Europe I came back a huge dick, and, well, she’s the jerk and I don’t like her dumb Nazi boyfriend, and I’ll show her a thing or two.

So I, of course, go get toasted.

There aren’t any bars open or anything, but, being myself, it’s not too hard to find a case of Dead Horse and get the the music going on the stereo. Who’s living authentically? This guy! Now, as one does, I ended up at Dick Wagner’s, because that weirdo always has something going on. Now, for years, he’s been working on this complicated prog rock concept album about a magic ring and a war among the gods and, you know, it’s all kinda stupid, but he’s rich so you don’t say anything.

Instead, Dick is nowhere to be found, but his girlfriend lets me in, and -- this is where the story gets stupid, so bear with me -- there’s this old wizard there. Seriously. Like, big hat, beard, long robe, eye patch, two ravens perched on his shoulders, serious looking walking stick... I look over at Minna like, the hell is with this guy?, and she shrugs and goes back to reading Dog Fancy. Anyways, the wizard guy, he looks me over, and seems to think Hey, good enough, because he just holds out his hand,and Skaboom!, all these letters and runes and magical whatever comes flying out, and, well... Long story short, Dick is mad at me because I “Stole His Destiny” and “Replaced Him As The Chosen One” or whatever. He’s so dramatic. And now he’s not talking to me, and I can’t sleep at his house, and whine whine whine. I’m thinking, Dude, if you were the Chosen One, you would have been home. Mysterious wizards don’t just, like, assign Chosen One status to just any dude they bump into.

Now, some direction as to what to do with this, exactly...

quote:

Fred Nietzsche

Concept: Behold, I Give You The Overman

“Philosopher” Mode: With a Hammer
Banter Mode: In Vino Veritas
Science Wizard Mode: Granted Powers By The Dead Gods

Omega: Accidental Chosen One

Modes:
+3 Good - “Philosopher” - (Athletics, Combat, Deceive, Notice, Physique, Provoke, Will) - 8
+2 Fair - Banter - (Contacts, Deceive, Empathy, Provoke, Rapport, Will) - 9
+1 Average - Science Wizard (Magecraft, Notice, Will) - 3

(10 leftover)

Skills:
+5 Superb Will
+4 Great Deceive, Notice, Provoke
+3 Good Athletics, Combat, Physique
+2 Fair Contacts, Empathy, Rapport
+1 Average Magecraft

Five Stunts

Dumb Luck -- Armor:2.

True Understanding -- Use Will to create an advantage through becoming one with the universe or intense focus when you have a moment to pay attention to the world around you or have a drink.

Mind Over Matter -- Once per scene, when you take a physical hit, you may check a mental stress box to absorb physical harm.

Beyond What You Could Possibly Comprehend -- Use Will to defend against physical attacks.

Iron Stomach -- Absolutely able to drink anything.

Toph Bei Fong fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jul 31, 2017

Auraboks
Mar 24, 2013

...huh?

Greetings. You may call me Mr. Grayson. I'm from the Mystic Investigations Bureau, and I will be representing the United States government in this "war."

Ace of the Mystic Investigations Bureau
Well, more-or-less the government, anyway. Your average Senator or President obviously has no idea that magecraft exists, let alone the MIB. Nevertheless, certain well-informed and well-connected individuals make sure that we receive all the funding and clearance we need to deal with the messes left behind by unscrupulous magi, rampaging vampires, or what-have-you.

When our contact in the Mage's Association told us about this "Holy Grail War," there was no question we needed to intervene. The Bureau has sent their best — yours truly — to ensure that this situation doesn't go too far out of hand. Inserting myself into the war as a Master was step one.

Big Picture Thinking
Fundamentally, my mission is to see that the "grail" is safely disposed of. Either by using it for something acceptably low-key, or simply destroying it outright. Letting it fall into the hands of an unknown magus is too great a risk. All this "reaching the Root" nonsesne tends to leave unacceptable bodycounts behind.

Now, some collateral damage may be inevitable. That is fine; as long as the town is still standing at the end of all this, I will consider my mission a success.

Been There, Done This, Shot That
Ah, the things I've seen. Vampires, zombies, bug monsters.... It's all old hat by now. A scary hat, yes, but an old one. How dangerous can these "Heroic Spirits" be, really?

Fragments of a Dozen Traditions
For all our resources, the MIB does not have any "proper" magi on payroll. We have bits and pieces of knowledge that we have either stolen or traded for leniency. Enough that those few agents who happen to have Magic Circuits (such as myself) can make use of magecraft in a pinch. It's not nearly enough to fight fire with fire, regrettably, but it is enough to have a few tricks up my sleeve.

The Chains of Command
Working on behalf of a greater organization certainly has its perks, but it also means I'm behodlen to the chain of command. My superiors expect regular reports, and they will no doubt have... opinions about how I should do my job. Perhaps some of the junior agents would benefit from such micromanagement, but me? Hardly.

Bureaucrats, eh? Where would the world be without them.

pre:
Carter Grayson

Modes:
+3 Good:	Secret Agent (Burglary, Contacts, Deceive, Notice, Stealth, Vehicles) - 9
+2 Fair:	Action (Athletics, Combat, Notice, Physique, Provoke, Vehicles) - 9
+1 Average:	Magus (Magecraft, Will, Combat) - 4

Skills:
+5 Superb	Burglary
+4 Great	Vehicles, Notice, Combat, Stealth, Deceive
+3 Good		Contacts
+2 Fair		Physique, Provoke, Athletics, Ritual Invocations (Magecraft)
+1 Average	Magecraft, Will

Aspects:
Concept:	Ace of the Mystic Investigations Bureau
Secret Agent:	Big Picture Thinking
Action:		Been There, Done This, Shot That
Magus:		Fragments of a Dozen Traditions
Omega:		The Chains of Command

Physical Stress: [ ] [ ] [ ] [ ]
Mental Stress: [ ] [ ] [ ]

Stunts:

Standard Stakeout Procedure
- +2 to Create an Advantage with Burglary by surreptitiously studying someone or somewhere

Forewarned is Forearmed
- +2 to Attack with Combat against an enemy previously studied in detail

Reinforced Suit
- Armor: 2

Unlimited Clearance
- +2 to Overcome with Contacts when going through official channels

Mystic Eyes of Whisper
- Absolutely able to convince a normal human of any falsehood (Deceive), but at a cost

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Hey, quick question, what do the numbers beside the skills in the Servant modes mean? Been a while since I've AR'd and I'm having a bit of trouble parsing your sample sheet.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Waffleman_ posted:

Hey, quick question, what do the numbers beside the skills in the Servant modes mean? Been a while since I've AR'd and I'm having a bit of trouble parsing your sample sheet.

How many points each skill is worth for character creation.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Ah okay, that makes sense.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

OK then!

Here's the Discord Channel for the game.

So come here to talk and ask questions which I will try to answer, or shoot the breeze, or bring up thoughts.

Monk E
May 19, 2009

Saber Spartacus

Greetings it is I Spartacus, I see you have called upon me this can only mean one thing there is oppression afoot! Worry not small one I shall see to it that they, their ill-gotten possessions, their fiendish cohorts, and the very society upon which they built their empire are crushed beneath my mighty gladius.

So a “grail war” you say hmm I don’t quite like the sound of it all this talk of rituals and mages makes me think these “masters” forgot the most important part of a good war bearing ones strength of body and will against seemingly unbeatable forces. Regardless I will be more than willing to join your war against the oppressors assuming of course that you don’t happen to be one.

quote:

Spartacus

Good: Saber - Combat, Will, Athletics - 5
Fair: Action - Athletics, Combat, Notice, Physique, Provoke, Vehicles - 9
Average: Matyr – Will, Provoke, Rapport, Empathy - 8

+5 Combat
+4 Rapport, Will, Physique
+3 Provoke, Athletics
+2 Notice, Empathy
+1 Vehicles

Concept:
Saber: Unconventional knight in shining armor
Action: Pugilistic combatant against the oppressors
Martyr: Fallen rebel leader

Noble Phantasm:

Crixus and Oenomaus: Twin gladiuses of rebellion
Twin swords that can add +3 to an attack against an adversary that made an attack against Spartacus at a cost.

Stunts:

Servant Saber
Absolutely stronger then any human (Will), but at a cost.
Mundane Weaponry Proof

Underdog
+2 to Attack against opponents if they possess a notable numerical or size advantage

Hulking Form
Armor: 2

Headstrong
+2 to Overcome against deceive when being spoken to by one who is or was an enemy

Challenge of the Gladiator
Absolutely stronger then any human (Provoke), but at a cost

Monk E fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 1, 2017

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

:siren:Sign ups are closed now.:siren:

We have

Toph Bei Fong as Fred Nietzsche
Having summoned Servant Lancer, played by Waffleman

Auraboks: As Carter Grayson
Having summoned Servant Saber, played by Monk E

---

Now then, some questions.

For both Masters:

What was actually summoning the Servant like? Where did it happen, and what do you think of the Servant?

For both Servants:

What was your first impression of your Master? How did you take things after getting summoned?

For all four characters:

What will you wish for with the Holy Grail upon victory?

----

Next, some individual questions.

So, Fred, you've somehow been dragged into this mess by what seems to be an ancient and very powerful being. However, this guy isn't one to do things on a whim, and even being here means he has some sort of plan. He gave you one piece of advice after bestowing the Command Spells on you, what was it?

Mr. Greyson, you've dealt with a fair bit of supernatural nastys in the New World. While the Clock Tower does their petty political power plays in Europe, the Asian supernatural community isolates itself, and Atlas toils away in the Middle East, the Americas are basically the wild west for the mystical. In your career there's been one person who's eluded you twice now, a black mark on your otherwise excellent record. Who, or what are they?

Lancer, one element of your legend is the magical headband used to restrain you. At Xuanzang's command it would tighten, causing you so much pain you were basically forced into compliance. As this Noble Phantasm is associated with you, you were summoned with it in your possession. But you aren't wearing it. Got any ideas for using it?

Saber you rebelled against the strongest nation in the world and nearly won. Now you've been summoned by a citizen of the modern day superpower. One that proclaims "freedom" while having secret agencies and countless wars. What do you think of the modern world?

Come over to the Discord when able and we can start talking Scheduling.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Aug 3, 2017

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Fred

Alright, so, magic could have gotten off to a better start. So, like I said, skaboom! Magic words, all in my head, a thousand different languages that all seem to work just fine together, the infinite depths of the universe all happening in repetition, you know the drill. Pretty heavy stuff. And then he says to me, "Kid, don't make the same mistakes I made. Keep your eye on what's important, not on what some idiot tells you is important. Those who tell you they are wise are the stupidest of all." Which, alright, good dad advice. Not really sure how it applies here, but, maybe he lost the eye doing something stupid like looking in a BB gun or something?

Anyways, because Dick was being a, well, dick, it was time to seek shelter elsewhere. I headed over to my boy Pauly D's place, to see what he was getting up to. Paul is big into Indian stuff. Like, huge tapestries on the wall, does Yoga, has a big statue of Ganesha in his living room. Even if he's blazed out of his mind and talking about how the world is just, like, perception, man, he's a good guy.

So, when I get there, he's got this moving van parked out front, and he's trying to get this massive sectional couch up into his apartment. Like, we're talking 8-ft long, multi stage, overstuffed, sueded, built in cup holders and reclining seats... This is a hell of a couch. It's going to really upgrade the room, compared to the ratty old thing he had from when his grandma died. But for some reason, he didn't spring for movers when he bought it. This is classic Paul. He buys a multi-thousand dollar couch, but decides he doesn't want to bother the professional moving guys who literally get paid to do the work, and then goes to the trouble of renting a van to try and do it himself, which he can't, thus forcing us, his friends, to fix the problem for him.

Well, what's the use of magic if it can't make your life easier, right? Maybe this isn't what you're supposed to use it for, but, so what?

Enter the Monkey King.

Now, suffice to say, Paul was not expecting a Buddha herself to appear in his living room, to help him move a couch, nor for her to critique his taste in clothing, the stupidity of his fridge contents.

To be perfectly honest with you, I wasn't even really expecting it to work. I just did what came naturally, what I remembered somehow, from all the new knowledge in my head. And boom, there she was, perched on his coffee table. She seems pretty chill, the way you'd expect someone enlightened to be, and seems to have a good sense of humor. And, if I've got this right, she's, like, Buddha plus Goku. Unless one of these other guys has managed to summon Superman/Jesus, I think we've got this in the bag.

What will I do when we win? Shoot, I dunno. How about everyone is perfectly happy, but, like, not in one of those twisted Faustian ways where the wish is twisted and everyone is dead or in a coma or something. Probably have to figure out the wording. I mean, I've seen enough movies to know you can't trust wish granting things.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Fred....about Fred....the guy's a bit of a layabout. I can respect laziness, but he doesn't really feel like he has a direction in life. I guess it's up to me to whip this boy into shape! As for my summoning...I was certainly surprised at being reincarnated, but hearing about how it all worked makes sense. This modern age, though! If only Sanzang had one of these "car" things, our journey would have been a lot easier!

As for the headband...I'm extremely glad to have this pesky thing off my head. Pain in the rear end was what it was. But...I guess I could put it on old Fred. As my own little Command Spell, huh~?

Monk E
May 19, 2009
Saber

Ah yes that Carter fellow he has the air of a great warrior never if I've ever seen one Driven, unflinching in the face of danger, collected, still I feel as though he wastes his potential merely obeying his masters. Sure the grail war may present a threat well beyond their ability to fight against but once it ends and they are once again the mightiest force in the land...well I would like to think that Carter will be on the other side of things, I have come to appreciate this this peaceful if slightly boring world enough to see why he would want to protect it but without opposition even the most righteous of kings can grow slothful and arrogant.

A wish I ill need such a cheat to fulfill my goals...though that said my time on this earth is short and there do seem to be quite a few oppressors in this time period perhaps the grail will be able to extend my stay here so I can give a few of the bigger names on the list a personal meeting.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

In other news, having discussed scheduling, taking time zones into account, here's how I feel the RP is actually going to work.

Since Discord saves pretty much all the conversations people have, it gives an interesting solution.

You see, to keep the Supernatural secret, all fights in the Holy Grail War must take place at night. This is enforced by the Administrator. Therefore, the "day" periods of the game will take place over the week, as the Masters and Servants plan and recuperate. You all can come do casual RPing in the Discord during the week PbP style. Then, come Saturday, there will be a longer session taking place at night, where fights will happen and the plot will advance.

I feel that, taking into account timezones, the best time to have this game start will be: :siren:Next Saturday between 2 and 3 PM UTC:siren: Please be in the Discord at that time, or post in the thread and/or Discord if there any any issues with that time. And if you think we can have a longer session earlier then that to get the introduction started, feel free to post it.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Aug 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Auraboks
Mar 24, 2013

...huh?

quote:

What was actually summoning the Servant like? Where did it happen, and what do you think of the Servant?
The summoning itself was no trouble. I... acquired... a piece of antique chainmail to use as a catalyst, then rented a storage unit and ruined the floor by carving a summoning circle into it. Easy.

Saber himself is... well... enthusiastic. Very gung-ho. We'll make it work.

quote:

What will you wish for with the Holy Grail upon victory?

A personal wish would be highly unprofessional. I expect to receive detailed instructions on this matter once the bureaucrats have sorted out what to prioritize. If I win the war before then — which is entirely possible — I suppose I'll have to think of something myself. Vampire genocide, maybe? Though that would likely backfire somehow... Hm.

quote:

Mr. Greyson, you've dealt with a fair bit of supernatural nastys in the New World. While the Clock Tower does their petty political power plays in Europe, the Asian supernatural community isolates itself, and Atlas toils away in the Middle East, the Americas are basically the wild west for the mystical. In your career there's been one person who's eluded you twice now, a black mark on your otherwise excellent record. Who, or what are they?

Oh. Her.

She usually goes by Violet, though she's has a new last name every time she appears. Likes to start cults, which is normally not the MIB:s business — we don't begrudge anyone their religion — but hers are a bit too keen on human sacrifice. We wouldn't care about that either, but their gross rituals actually have tangible effects, which put them squarely in our sights.

I don't know what Violet is, exactly, but she hasn't aged a day over the past decade. Fairly sure she's not a vampire — no exsanguinated victims — but she can hardly be called human at this point.

• Locked thread