Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Nice OP!

There are a number of bottlenecks where you need to be a certain level to advance in the main story. The fastest way to level is to focus on completing your Daily Events, especially Trial Quests and Agitated Elementals. It's easy to AFK by following your party. Your daily Arena and Delivery quests only take a few minutes as well.

IMPORTANT NOTE: you only get raid boss loot and experience for a limited number of raids per day. It's either 6 or 7 and the game doesn't keep track of your daily total even though it totally should. When you're in a raid and you get a message that you're completely exhausted from the brutal raids, you're done for the day.

FistEnergy fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
GoonSquad is up and running in Fertile Gorge!! Post your character names in here so I know who to promote to the limit.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
I'm trying to keep up with the unexpected interest and promote everyone, so include your character names if you haven't, and bug me in guild chat if I missed you. I think there are only a few pubbies so far.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Tap the general chat box at the bottom of the screen and the grouping tabs appear on the left. There will be a 'tap to type' box at the top of the window.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
When you reach level 30 you get to pick a Faction and I've been putting it off because I don't know how that affects clan relationships. Do we all have to be the same or does it not matter?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Yep and I read the server will suggest that you join the smaller side. I'm not going to choose right now.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Roid666 posted:

Wait til you hit the harder raids.

Yep I'm dealing with this now. The first three 5 man raids you can basically sleepwalk through, but I have yet to clear Goblint Camp. The difficulty jumps up considerably. Same thing with Dailies. Elemental Leader and Guild Hunt are on another level as well.

Hopefully it will get much easier to find a good 5 man team in a few weeks as people level up.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Faction Info:

You can pick a side when you reach level 30. Both sides can be in the same clan and there are no issues working together. You get access to new daily quests and titles. Maybe gear too? I dunno, this game is too new to be Googleable.

You can choose to switch sides at some point; I'm guessing you would lose all progression. At the moment it's a dead heat on Fertile Gorge, with both sides at 50%. I chose Magellana, the morally ambiguous choice, simply because they have a cool black/purple color scheme instead of a dorky white/gold scheme. Nerrrds!

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Illiterate Clitoris posted:

So it seems like there is a rather important PSA regarding the level cap. The way I understood it is that there's a server level (which is currently 40 for us) and when you exceed it you're losing a big boost to your XP gain.
So what you should do is hit 40 and start converting every bit of XP to your Talent Experience. Or at least that's what I assumed - buuut OP says

so maybe I got something wrong? Anyone with a clearer understanding of the mechanics around?

Yes, once your level is higher than the server level, your XP gain drops considerably. So dump it all into Talents.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

RatHat posted:

Are there any boss mechanics more complicated than "Don't stand in the purple circles of death"?

Don't stand in the red circles of death

Don't stand in the tiny green circles of death

Dodge the whirling tornados of death

And the one that wipes countless raids, Don't stand on the giant X pattern that will randomly turn to flames of death

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Stay up on the weekly Guild quests so I can keep upgrading our Guild buildings. We're nearing level 3 and then I can unlock level 30 weapons/armor for crafting.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Silvergun1000 posted:

Is there some trick to getting auto matched to the right tier of elemental groups? I'm in my 20s and am constantly getting matched with the lvl 30/40 groups which I get no credit in.

I had the same issue. The solution is to start your own group and lead the way.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

someone awful. posted:

I'm never gonna clear the goblint camp :negative:

It gets easier. At first I couldn't get a winning group either, and a few days later I'm sleepwalking through all four 5 mans. I wish there were a few more; the jump up to Heroics is pretty brutal.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Playing a Shepard is fun as hell. I just dragged 4 pubbies through all four 5 mans in a row as a level 35 in mediocre gear with zero problems. Our 32 Tank was pulling all the trash at once like an idiot and it still didn't matter. I'm gonna start running guild members through dungeons because finding reliable parties as a DPS is hard sometimes.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Vulpes posted:

PSA: You can remove gems from items for free at any time, so always be socketing. Don't be like me and not even open the embed screen because you assume it's a limited resource.

I did this too at first for a few days. I assumed it was like WoW.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
There is a decent crafting/forging system but the materials are ridiculously expensive right now. Focus on 5 man raids and the reputation gear until the playerbase grows and you can buy things reasonably.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Yeah some of the best stuff requires you to Identify it before it's usable. You'll unlock mystery bonuses.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
We won our Guild Showdown against Exiled because those losers didn't even show up. We rode around and captured cannons and monuments and poo poo and got killed in 1 hit by their camp guardian until we learned to stay away.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

binge crotching posted:

Joined as AnimeTits

Lol sorry for the teamkick, you didn't have a clan title above your head.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Yeah, Shadow side.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
The PvP isn't fleshed out yet. Just farm 5 mans until you're ready for Heroic dungeons. I finally beat a couple today and it's a nice 10 man challenge.

If you're not getting the purps you want to drop, check the Reputation tab. A lot of them are available though grinding.

There's tons to do.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Battlegrounds is a pretty crappy experience IMO. I'm dying for a zoomed out minimap and a keyboard/mouse.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Lutha Mahtin posted:

have you tried playing on pc

(its still crap)

If I had the time to play MMOs on my PC I'd still be playing WoW, which I was hopelessly addicted to during Vanilla and BC. This game is awesome because it's similar but I can play at work.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
A few words on item quality - there's been a lot of confusion in guild chat because this is the first MMO for a lot of people.

Weapons and armor come in 3 basic flavors: Green, Blue, and Purple. Green is the lowest quality and Purple is the highest. This is the standard MMO color scheme. There is a higher quality - Legendary - which I am not going to discuss because the rules are different and most of us aren't going to get some anyway.

So, better color equals better weapon or armor, right? Not so fast. You have to look at the required level and the item grade. A Purple level 10 helmet isn't going to be nearly as good as a Green level 30 helmet. CoL breaks down item quality further with a letter grade for each item; C is the worst, then B, then A, then S. I believe there is an SS level as well, but again we're only talking about the basics. Insert your own Third Reich joke here. When you grab a piece of gear from a raid, look at the required level and the grade as well as the color. The color of the item, the bonuses, the grade, and the level are all summarized as the item's Assess score. The gear level tends to break down in groupings of 10 - when you hit level 30 you'll gain access to much better gear that will start to feel stale in the high 30s. By 39 you'll be desperate for some hot new gear, and as soon as you hit 40 you'll unlock a new tier and you'll start finding Blues that are as good or better than your fancy level 30-33 Purples. I've gotten a Ranger and Mystic to 40 and both times I was desperate for a better weapon as I closed in on 40. Your weapon is the hardest piece of gear to upgrade.

How you get better geasr easily and quickly? 5 man raids will drop a lot of items, but most of them will be mediocre and unhelpful unless your level just hit a multiple of 10. There are 2 ways to get better quickly.

The first way is through Reputation gear. From the Adventure menu at the top, go to the Reputation Tasks menu. You should be doing your Reputation task for each faction every day, if they offer one. They're all 10 minutes at most. For each faction you've started, if you select the green magnifying glass you'll see the gear you're eligible to buy if your Reputation is high enough. You can directly buy the level 45 Purples that will carry you into Heroic and large party Raids. Keep working on your Reputations, and you'll be able to get exactly the pieces you want.

The second way isn't explained at all, but is by far the cheapest and fastest method. It's by using Regalian Stones to reroll your Raid drops. You get the Stones regularly from your daily login reward chests, online giftpacks, and other places.For 1 or 2 Stones plus a measly 1000 Silver, you can reroll any Purple into a brand-new item! So as you're raiding, hold on to the Purple gear that drops and has a good letter grade, say A or better. Many of the items you find will have bad stats or bonuses that don't apply to your character. But for basically nothing, you can turn trash into treasure. It's how I get most of my gear. Just this morning I found a Purple Soulbreaker Longbow that was Grade A but had horrible bonuses and an overall Assess of 480. A couple rerolls later and it had an Assess of 781 with a ton of Damage, HP, and Crit bonuses.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Well, there's 5 of them. And they're insanely expensive in the shop. And you need all 5 to do something with them that is unexplained and leads to some nebulous reward. So unless you can find something on the Subreddit or the official forum to justify keeping it I'd cash in that lotto ticket, you lucky dog.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Yeah the Titan spot wrecked me when I tried it.

I stopped Rep grinding pretty quickly though since you can get the pieces (or better gear) from Raids if you're willing to wait it out.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Jaroslav posted:

So this seems pretty fun. Hows the class balance lookin in the guild?

Pretty balanced. Shootymans are the least important class because the other 2 classes can tank or heal, but play however you like. Personally, I started with Shooty because I assumed it would be the easiest way to solo level, but in reality it's very easy with all classes. You'll get into Raids much faster if you heal or tank, though.

I heard that they're already beta testing Paladin as the next class. Just like WoW, it'll be able to tank or heal.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Sure, why not? I think we're getting close to trying out Fort Desolation. The entrance is inside the Guild and we need at least 25 players, minimum level of 20. It's oper every day after 7pm EST. I think we're about a week away from trying it out.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Signed up as Rupertas. I don't know what Assess means in this context, though.

It's your character's total power rating. It's listed on your Equip screen.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
After failing for 2 days to get a decent Staff to drop for my Shepherd I dropped some gold on a blueprint + materials and crossed my fingers. One enhanced forge and a few rerolls later aaaand:

https://ibb.co/eWpouk

:what:

Forging is Cool and Good

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

explosivo posted:

Wait hang on.. how do you do this? I know you can use the blue crystals to reroll stats of a purple item but what is this sorcery?

I bought a level 40 weapon blueprint from the auction house and forged it with the optional Enhanced Forging upgrade. If you buy/find a Blueprint it will spell it out for you.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Man, that sucks. In WoW I was an Auctioneer add-on fiend and I played that more than the main game. When I finally quit I gave away hundreds of thousands of gold.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
The forge has me waiting on level 45 in a big way!

https://ibb.co/mMQGx5

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
I didn't know that level 30 Blueprints could create a Legendary! First forge on my Warrior, too.

https://ibb.co/da8xLQ

:wow:

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Is there a general explanation as to how all of the different currencies relate to each other?

In a general sense:

Real Money buys Purple Gems, which can be converted into other currency and can buy special boxes/items/tokens

Gold buys equippable gear and crafting materials and can also be converted into Silver

Silver buys consumable items and gems and is used to upgrade skills and talents

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
I've never had that happen. What's your class and level?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Auto Combat/Questing is awesome.

Altriusm Medals buy awesome stuff and thus encourage high level players to help noobs with quests/dungeons. This keeps lower content from becoming barren as the server ages.

Regalian Stones solve the classic WoW pain point of "I finally got my drop and it's a poo poo roll, FML". If it's purple and not Grade C, just reroll it a few times and become happy.

This game is very deep and in many ways better than the MMO it ripped off.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Yup 200k silver in the Shop or buy in Guild Store. Either way it's cheap. There's efficient and inefficient ways to get most of the materials in the game...but the game doesn't explain it at all, really. Just poke around all the store menus and take note of ways to buy things without spending Gold or Gems. Grinding Altruism Medals with noobs in Scar is extremely profitable and easy to AFK!

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
I've got 2 out of my 3 characters in full lvl 45 purp sets and I'm focusing on Heroics for a while until I max out there. I'm in no hurry to bang my head against higher difficulties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe
Searing Chains, Lava Quake, Sigil, and The Icon With The Big Axe are your bread and butter. I'm not logging in again to find the name of the skill again. Then just pump up your tank tree.

• Locked thread