Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Congrats on making progress!

But you need to work on your food, How many people are you feeding per meal on average? What are you buying? You need to stop eating out, that saves you quite a bit of money right there, and maybe start meal prepping.
Next time you go grocery shopping snap the receipt and post it. Might be able to help you save some money there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

zaurg posted:

I'm going to do what Giraffe suggested.
Holy moly! :eyepop:

I've got one more suggestion for you: don't go bananas trying to cut your spending to the absolute bone. Yes, you hosed up your October spending with that $771 vacation, but the rest of your discretionary is fine so far. To get back on track is not going to take insane financial self-denial, it's going to take learning how to manage your spending decisions. Don't financially yo-yo diet, you know it doesn't work for you.

Here are the goals I'd like to see you hit before you go too crazy:

1. Pick a number for the rest of October, I don't care what it is, and keep your spending under that. $300, $500, it doesn't matter, just make it realistic. Then do not exceed it for anything less than a true emergency.

2. Spend less than $1000 in discretionary in November. No excuses, just do it. Use this as your first real dry run for how to live within your means. Every dollar you spend in one place is a dollar you don't have to spend in another.

Then just get through Christmas without bankrupting yourself and see where you are heading into 2018. Maybe you find more cuts, maybe you identify a couple of areas (e.g. groceries) and just focus on getting the most bang for your buck from what you do spend. Take it slow, don't let mistakes push you into just giving up, but hold yourself accountable when you spend money, not just when you tally up the damage.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
1. I'm not good at this. Pick a # for the rest of October... 15 days, all I can think of right now are:
groceries - $100. This is low for me. I eat a lot. Maybe $150.
gas - tank is getting low right now so probably a fill up on Wednesday and again right around end of month. Maybe $50.
younger daughter has halloween costume, older daughter does not. going to try to get ex to handle that this weekend.
$200-250 range sounds doable for rest of month. Does that sound crazy unlikely low? High?

2. Agreed

Will have to set a budget for Christmas. Bikes on craigslist, $20, nice.

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat
Keep it under $350 for the rest of the month and it’s a victory.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Once this month is over you can donate all your new goalposts to the Canes

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
If your ex won't cover yer kidlet's costume, PM me. I've outfitted like ten or twenty kids for Halloween with packing tape and poo poo from my recycling bins. (Clean stuff! I am not a monster!)

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

If your ex won't cover yer kidlet's costume, PM me. I've outfitted like ten or twenty kids for Halloween with packing tape and poo poo from my recycling bins. (Clean stuff! I am not a monster!)

But you turn children into them?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Elephanthead posted:

But you turn children into them?

Exactly.

My best one was a kid who let me use stuff from the Lost and Found. One construction paper set of glasses and a mustache, and he looked just like our principal, ill-fitting blazer and all.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

Droo posted:

If you decide to stay in the house, you can probably find a mortgage broker and tell him you want to refinance when you can get 4.0% or lower on a 30 year with less than $1000 in cost. The broker would be able to watch the rates and just call you when it gets to your desired level. A mortgage person might be able to chime in with what kind of fees are realistic to expect for the refinance.

How legit are these? 3.75% and almost no fees?

For reference:
$330k home value
$250k mortgage balance
$1297 current monthly payment (principal and interest)
credit score, mid 700's last time I checked earlier this year.

https://www.zillow.com/refinance/

30 year fixed
Agora Lending
NMLS #1121650
58 Reviews 4.69/5
3.750 % RATE
3.750 % APR
$1,153 MO. PAYMENT
$1 FEES

30 year fixed
Sebonic Financial
NMLS #66247
2,456 Reviews 4.61/5
3.750 % RATE
3.758 % APR
$1,153 MO. PAYMENT
$252 FEES

30 year fixed
Sindeo, Inc.
NMLS #1138066
90 Reviews 4.57/5
3.750 % RATE
3.759 % APR
$1,153 MO. PAYMENT
$289 FEES

30 year fixed
goodmortgage.com
NMLS #2917
692 Reviews 4.73/5
3.750 % RATE
3.759 % APR
$1,153 MO. PAYMENT
$278 FEES

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Ah, rearranging the deck chairs on your Titanic.

How much time is left on your current mortgage? How much more will this move cost you in the long run?

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
Many here suggested I look into refinancing. It struck me as odd at first because I just refinanced less than 2 years ago for a 30-year fixed, but the rate is 4.5%, so I guess if I could get that lower without paying a ton of fees, it's worth it?

How much more would it cost me in the long run... I don't know, good question. All I've been thinking about is my monthly stuff.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
hell yes

I just changed my AT&T cell phone plan. It took until the 3rd person I chat/spoke with to find out they have lower cost prepaid plans. Today I just straight up said I need to cancel because I can't afford it and i'm switching to a low-cost provider like Metro. They got me switched to a prepaid plan quick.

Old plan: $66.82 for 2gb data plan
New plan: $32.50 for 1gb data plan

I think someone years ago in previous thread suggested switching to a cheaper prepaid plan. Finally got it done

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

zaurg posted:

hell yes

I just changed my AT&T cell phone plan. It took until the 3rd person I chat/spoke with to find out they have lower cost prepaid plans. Today I just straight up said I need to cancel because I can't afford it and i'm switching to a low-cost provider like Metro. They got me switched to a prepaid plan quick.

Old plan: $66.82 for 2gb data plan
New plan: $32.50 for 1gb data plan

I think someone years ago in previous thread suggested switching to a cheaper prepaid plan. Finally got it done

Why are you not on cricket? It's 35/mo with autopay on for 5GB and it's on the AT&T network.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

zaurg posted:

So you only wasted about $1200 by not doing that 3 years earlier.

As far as the mortgage rates, those look about right but I don't know how legit those places are. I suggest you find a local independent mortgage broker and give them a call to discuss what kind of rate and cost is realistic.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

zaurg posted:

How much more would it cost me in the long run... I don't know, good question. All I've been thinking about is my monthly stuff.

This is pretty much the mantra for your entire financial life. It may actually save you money with the lower interest rate, but if you don't sit down and do the math (literally, less time than it takes to make a post here) then you're missing the whole point of refinancing.

edit: because I literally can do it faster than you, assuming you have 336 remaining payments (28 years * 12 months) then you owe:
$435,792 on your current mortgage.
If you refinance at 3.75 you will pay 360*1153+300 in fees:
$415,380 to refinance.

Sounds like a smart choice! Before you jump, look at how changing to a 15 or 20 year term changes things. The lower interest rates will save you probably $80,000+ over the life of the loan. Your monthly payments will be higher, but you'll be done 10-15 years sooner.

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 17, 2017

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

Droo posted:

So you only wasted about $1200 by not doing that 3 years earlier.

As far as the mortgage rates, those look about right but I don't know how legit those places are. I suggest you find a local independent mortgage broker and give them a call to discuss what kind of rate and cost is realistic.

Yes I've wasted a lot of money

ok thanks, will do

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
Thanks for the math Nocheez

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
Made the big mistake of quickly submitting a form to get auto insurance quotes last night via http://www.insurancepanda.com/

Getting slammed with calls

Don't use insurance panda unless you want to be slammed with telemarketer calls

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Nocheez posted:

This is pretty much the mantra for your entire financial life. It may actually save you money with the lower interest rate, but if you don't sit down and do the math (literally, less time than it takes to make a post here) then you're missing the whole point of refinancing.

edit: because I literally can do it faster than you, assuming you have 336 remaining payments (28 years * 12 months) then you owe:
$435,792 on your current mortgage.
If you refinance at 3.75 you will pay 360*1153+300 in fees:
$415,380 to refinance.

Sounds like a smart choice! Before you jump, look at how changing to a 15 or 20 year term changes things. The lower interest rates will save you probably $80,000+ over the life of the loan. Your monthly payments will be higher, but you'll be done 10-15 years sooner.

He can’t afford the higher monthly payments of a shorter term. He can’t really afford his current mortgage either, but he’s stuck with it at least for the moment.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

zaurg posted:

Made the big mistake of quickly submitting a form to get auto insurance quotes last night via http://www.insurancepanda.com/

Getting slammed with calls

Don't use insurance panda unless you want to be slammed with telemarketer calls

You can also find a local independent insurance broker to find coverage for you, instead of trying to do it yourself online.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

No Butt Stuff posted:

Why are you not on cricket? It's 35/mo with autopay on for 5GB and it's on the AT&T network.

It's literally owned by AT&T

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
Ya'll know zaurg is improving when all BFC can suggest is to change my $32.50 AT&T cell phone service to a $35.00 AT&T cell phone service just to upgrade data limits from 1GB to 5GB

I can't afford $35/month for cell phone, team. I'm gonna stick with the $32.50 plan. :cheeky:

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

zaurg posted:

Ya'll know zaurg is improving when all BFC can suggest is to change my $32.50 AT&T cell phone service to a $35.00 AT&T cell phone service just to upgrade data limits from 1GB to 5GB

I can't afford $35/month for cell phone, team. I'm gonna stick with the $32.50 plan. :cheeky:

Cancel the lawncare.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

zaurg posted:

"Buy the cheapest thing that does what you need" is intro-level BFC.

"Buy the best value for your money" is advanced BFC. You're not ready for this yet.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

zaurg posted:

Dinners already planned for week. I think all I need as far as food for the entire week is just one grocery store stop for some bananas.

bengy81 posted:

Congrats on making progress!
But you need to work on your food, How many people are you feeding per meal on average? What are you buying? You need to stop eating out, that saves you quite a bit of money right there, and maybe start meal prepping.
Next time you go grocery shopping snap the receipt and post it. Might be able to help you save some money there.

Needed more than bananas. It's just me plus 2 kids 15 days per month.

I did skip a few things I had written down on the list. Trying to focus on true "needs". Should have skipped cream cheese, already have butter and peanut butter. Went store brand for everything that was cheaper. I'm sure i could save a few bucks going to a mixture of Walmart/Target/Trader Joes but this was all at Publix.

zaurg fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 18, 2017

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
If you cut out the $248 on restaurants you can save more than all the minor savings. Same for $771 on vacations. Being frugal on regular expenses is always good but it's the big expenses that are truly shafting you. We don't want your wallet to look like :goatsecx:

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I'm assuming that's grub for a week or so? What do you do for protein?
Honestly If you can spend $100 or so a week on grub and cut eating out you would be in good shape.

Nothing on that receipt sticks out as unneeded or out of line to be honest.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

zaurg posted:

amex credit card has 800 balance, 15.5%
visa credit card has 4375 balance, 16%.
Sept was the first month I didn't payoff the full balance, digging myself into a hole. Paid interest charges for the first time this past payment... $7 interest on the AMEX and $40 on the Visa.

personal loan about 6000 remaining @ 5%. original loan was 7500. I've been paying the minimum $100.

Ultimate Mango posted:

:stonklol:
So that whole Visa balance is new-ish? You went from broke to proper hosed my friend. YNAB or something, you need a real plan to pay that poo poo all off. Fast. Not the 4.5 years minimum you are currently tracking towards.

Paid off the AMEX $800 balance today so I have two balances now:

Visa credit card, $4375, 16%

Personal loan $6000, 5%

I'm going to continue the automatic monthly $100 minimum payments on the loan and throw as much as I can at the Visa.

I've built my emergency fund up to $1250 over the past 5 months putting $250 per month in at the beginning of the month. I was considering throwing all that at the Visa but I'm just going to keep it. That's the right move right? I mean yeah I'm paying interest charges on the Visa, but the emergency fund is literally all I have in savings. :saddowns:

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

bengy81 posted:

I'm assuming that's grub for a week or so? What do you do for protein?
Honestly If you can spend $100 or so a week on grub and cut eating out you would be in good shape.
Nothing on that receipt sticks out as unneeded or out of line to be honest.

This is a change for me. Usually that receipt has salsa, chips, beer/wine, 5 other random things I find in the store, other random fruit, some extra veggies, etc etc etc.

Will be buying a large pack of chicken breast which I think is about $2-$2.50 per pound. Usually buy the single pack of 2-3 breasts at $5 per pound.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

zaurg posted:

This is a change for me. Usually that receipt has salsa, chips, beer/wine, 5 other random things I find in the store, other random fruit, some extra veggies, etc etc etc.

Will be buying a large pack of chicken breast which I think is about $2-$2.50 per pound. Usually buy the single pack of 2-3 breasts at $5 per pound.

Do you have a Costco membership? $60 annual fee, but might be worth it for gas and groceries if there is a warehouse in your area. Plus if it doesn’t work out, 100% refund anytime before a year is up.

Great if you have a freezer to store chicken, plus they have home hair cut kits, and good auto insurance programs.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
Got this budget thing to $1223 left over. I can switch child2 to part-time aftercare ($120/month) which is 2-4PM, instead of the full-time aftercare 2-6PM ($240/month). Only need it one day a week at most and that day my employer will allow me to pickup @ 4 and bring her to work with me.

What am I missing? I think everything is here. The problem is what I do with the "left over". Lawncare is still there. Might get rid of it along with the gym - cooler weather for both - soon - maybe.

Category Monthly Notes
Income after taxes $4,900.00
Extra income $50.00
total income = $4,950.00

401k Roth $305.00 5% from each paycheck
Emergency Fund Savings $250.00
total savings = $555.00

Regular Fixed Expenses
Mortgage $1,750.00
House insurance escrowed
House property tax escrowed
Auto Insurance $100.00 $600 every 6 months. $598.33 paid in August 17
Life Insurance $24.00
Health Insurance me&kids $430.00
Personal loan $100.00
Car loan $0.00 Don't have one
Electric $150.00 avg per month
Water $75.00 avg per month
Internet $48.50
TV $0.00 cancelled 10/15/17
Music $0.00 cancelled 10/15/17
Cell Phone $30.00
icloud $2.99
Lawn service $80.00
Child1 Pre-K/Aftercare $240.00
Child2 Aftercare $120.00
Gym $21.00
Everything else ?

total income = $4,950.00
total savings = $555.00
total expenses = $3,171.49
left over = $1,223.51

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Do you have a Costco membership? $60 annual fee, but might be worth it for gas and groceries if there is a warehouse in your area. Plus if it doesn’t work out, 100% refund anytime before a year is up.

Great if you have a freezer to store chicken, plus they have home hair cut kits, and good auto insurance programs.

Costco Cash Rewards Balance (Year to Date) $ 193.00

Yes and the Visa card covers the membership. I spend a lot. :facepalm:

But yes that's what I was thinking of, Costco chicken packs.

Home haircut kits? Like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZshSzvKXd8o

I already have that! I just haven't tried it on my head, only my face.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
What about moving into my office and Airbnb'ing my master bedroom & bathroom? Any of you try this to make extra $?

bengy81
May 8, 2010
So what's the goal with the $1223 left over? Is that discretionary? Going into savings or towards debt?

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

bengy81 posted:

So what's the goal with the $1223 left over? Is that discretionary? Going into savings or towards debt?

Goal for November is still to keep discretionary under $1000

Whatever is left from the 1223 will go towards Visa balance so I can get that to zero quick.

Once Visa is to zero then I'll increase monthly savings and increase my payment to personal loan to help speed that up, even if just an extra 50.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

zaurg posted:

Costco Cash Rewards Balance (Year to Date) $ 193.00

Yes and the Visa card covers the membership. I spend a lot. :facepalm:

But yes that's what I was thinking of, Costco chicken packs.

Home haircut kits? Like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZshSzvKXd8o

I already have that! I just haven't tried it on my head, only my face.

Yeah I have a home haircut kit and it works well. Although those are heavily dependent on the guy, but if the barber is buzzing it for you it’s a good idea.

Costco offers good rates on home and auto insurance, if you are looking for quotes, it’s a nice place to start https://m.costco.com/services.html

For running and giving up the gym, understood Florida weather may necessitate treadmills. Is running early in the day or late evening an option?

bengy81
May 8, 2010

zaurg posted:

Goal for November is still to keep discretionary under $1000

Whatever is left from the 1223 will go towards Visa balance so I can get that to zero quick.

Once Visa is to zero then I'll increase monthly savings and increase my payment to personal loan to help speed that up, even if just an extra 50.

So I feel like having $1000.00 discretionary might be a really bad idea. Break down what you are spending that money on, find areas where you can save and set some goals.

I mean you need to get your loan balances moving south and you need more of an emergency fund than 1200 bucks.

Maybe you don't deserve 1000 bucks to have fun with?

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Why is your health insurance listed in your budget? Isn't that tax deductible no matter how you slice it? How much do you owe / get back each year for taxes?

Yeonik
Aug 23, 2010
Am I the only one that noticed the 1250 emergency fund number? If you have an emergency you're hosed - get that fixed before anything (including putting extra on your loans). Literally, if your car breaks down or you lose your job/get sick you're absolutely hosed and it won't matter if you paid extra on your loan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Yeonik posted:

Am I the only one that noticed the 1250 emergency fund number? If you have an emergency you're hosed - get that fixed before anything (including putting extra on your loans). Literally, if your car breaks down or you lose your job/get sick you're absolutely hosed and it won't matter if you paid extra on your loan.

We're dealing with the immediate problem of having zuarg spiral into a sea of unrecoverable debt. Until he can manage to spend less than he earns in a month (I'm not counting retirement savings etc) then there's not point focusing on the next issues to fix.