Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

zaurg posted:

Post-tax, post-retirement savings income: $4595

July
Housing $1,750
Utilities $516
Insurance $454
Childcare $225
Grocery $494
Auto $40
Debt $100
Taking out the Misc and Blow, you spent $3579 of your $4595 in July on categories with very little discretionary latitude. That leaves you with about $1000 a month for everything else. Every meal out, all clothes and shoes for you and the kids, car repairs, birthday presents, football games, etc. That $1000 will be very easy to burn through even without unexpected surprises, which are definitely going to happen. Cutting down on your grocery bill, utilities and insurance wherever possible will help a lot. Find an extra $200/month in there and stick it in savings every month. Then start carefully monitoring your spending throughout each month to see if you can learn the discipline you'll need to cut out extras before that $1000 runs out. The only purpose of the budget is to get you to rein in your spending when you need to. Ideally, you'll be able to end each month with another $200 or more surplus so you're prepared when the car breaks down or the roof caves in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

Pryor on Fire posted:

I'm not familiar with the past thread and don't really want to be, just saying that treating humans as computer programs where you just say DO X, THEN Y, THEN Z doesn't work equally well on everyone even if it's technically correct. Maybe tackle one big thing this month like the refinance (or whatever else, I honestly don't know) and eliminating as much needless spending as possible instead of trying yet again to unload the shotgun at him until it goes click.

Eliminating needless spending is going to be 99% of it. If I remember my zaurg threads, he'll mostly juggle around his budgets from month to month to try to match whatever he ended up spending in the past 30 days without ever thinking about how to get himself to reduce his spending in response to how much money he has left that month. At least now we don't have the added variable of his mean wife yelling at him or tricking him into buying houses and having babies between earnest budget posts.

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

zaurg posted:

Devian666 - Yes that should be step one. I'm struggling. I already know it's not happening this month.
As I posted upthread, it looks like you currently have about $1000/month for all your discretionary spending. Why don't you try just monitoring that one number throughout the month so you have information in a simple enough form that it can actually affect spending decisions? Subtract everything you buy as you go so you always know exactly how much is left. If the kids need new shoes and the car needs a muffler and you find you have $300 left by the 8th, you know not to go out to eat or buy yourself things until you get closer to the end of the month. On the other hand, if it's the 25th and you still have $700, that's a good time to replace your running shoes if you know they're due. Or just stick it in savings so next month you have more breathing room when poo poo happens. Either way, you can buy or not buy stuff with the full knowledge of how much room there is in the budget for it.

Even if you decide to cut expenses by selling your house, it couldn't hurt to try out some strategies for tracking your spending so you can stay within whatever budget you set for yourself. It makes saving a lot easier if you don't just blindly spend and then total up the damage at the end of each month. It also makes spending a lot more fun when you know you can afford it.

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

zaurg posted:

I've thought about it again and decided the $80/month is worth it. Mowing front & back, weed eater/edging, tree trimming, fertilizer application, weed maintenance, and maintaining all the equipment. It's worth it to me. It takes me much longer than an hour. I'll just have to focus on other areas, of which there are plenty, to cut back on discrentionary expenses.
I couldn't give less of a poo poo who mows your lawn, zaurg. I'll repost myself from last page, right when you vanished:

Giraffe posted:

As I posted upthread, it looks like you currently have about $1000/month for all your discretionary spending. Why don't you try just monitoring that one number throughout the month so you have information in a simple enough form that it can actually affect spending decisions? Subtract everything you buy as you go so you always know exactly how much is left. If the kids need new shoes and the car needs a muffler and you find you have $300 left by the 8th, you know not to go out to eat or buy yourself things until you get closer to the end of the month. On the other hand, if it's the 25th and you still have $700, that's a good time to replace your running shoes if you know they're due. Or just stick it in savings so next month you have more breathing room when poo poo happens. Either way, you can buy or not buy stuff with the full knowledge of how much room there is in the budget for it.

Even if you decide to cut expenses by selling your house, it couldn't hurt to try out some strategies for tracking your spending so you can stay within whatever budget you set for yourself. It makes saving a lot easier if you don't just blindly spend and then total up the damage at the end of each month. It also makes spending a lot more fun when you know you can afford it.
What strategy are you going to employ to spend less than you make every month? In your old threads, a lot of people advocated for the envelope system, but your wife wouldn't have gone along so that went nowhere. Now you don't have her as an excuse any more, so let's hear it. How, specifically?

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat
That's not a strategy, that's a vague intention. You need to find a way to know, at any given point in the month, whether you can afford a given spending decision or not. A lot of people like cash, I like tracking a single discretionary tally, but it doesn't actually matter as long as you actually follow whatever strategy you use.

The goal is not to feel guilty about spending money or to never spend money, it's to make informed spending decisions. You need actionable intelligence, not just a monthly postmortem.

Edit: replying to zaurg's post

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

zaurg posted:

Giraffe, this is the strategy. Must be a on a list and monthly discretionary balance checked first.
This seems unrealistic to me, but if it works for you great. Why don't you use this thread to hold yourself accountable? Post your spending every month so you have a record of where things break when poo poo happens. And, oh look, it's August 31! Why not start with August?

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

e: I have to assume most of the lovely stuff left with Zwife. IIRC the pool table was actually sold.
Irma probably took whatever Zwife left behind. zaurg, are you still alive? How underwater is your house, on a scale of 1-10 (feet)?

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

zaurg posted:

I'm going to do what Giraffe suggested.
Holy moly! :eyepop:

I've got one more suggestion for you: don't go bananas trying to cut your spending to the absolute bone. Yes, you hosed up your October spending with that $771 vacation, but the rest of your discretionary is fine so far. To get back on track is not going to take insane financial self-denial, it's going to take learning how to manage your spending decisions. Don't financially yo-yo diet, you know it doesn't work for you.

Here are the goals I'd like to see you hit before you go too crazy:

1. Pick a number for the rest of October, I don't care what it is, and keep your spending under that. $300, $500, it doesn't matter, just make it realistic. Then do not exceed it for anything less than a true emergency.

2. Spend less than $1000 in discretionary in November. No excuses, just do it. Use this as your first real dry run for how to live within your means. Every dollar you spend in one place is a dollar you don't have to spend in another.

Then just get through Christmas without bankrupting yourself and see where you are heading into 2018. Maybe you find more cuts, maybe you identify a couple of areas (e.g. groceries) and just focus on getting the most bang for your buck from what you do spend. Take it slow, don't let mistakes push you into just giving up, but hold yourself accountable when you spend money, not just when you tally up the damage.

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat
Keep it under $350 for the rest of the month and it’s a victory.

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

bengy81 posted:

So I feel like having $1000.00 discretionary might be a really bad idea. Break down what you are spending that money on, find areas where you can save and set some goals.

I mean you need to get your loan balances moving south and you need more of an emergency fund than 1200 bucks.

Maybe you don't deserve 1000 bucks to have fun with?
Discretionary in this context means anything zaurg has the option of spending or not spending money on in the heat of the moment. We have eight years of data showing that fine grain budgeting doesn't work for zaurg, in that it in no way impacts his spending decisions as they happen. My proposal is an attempt to start making his brain think about what he can and can't afford in the simplest way possible.

Baby steps.

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

Dustoph posted:

I really don't see the point of telling him to fire the Gardner or anything without a proper budget. He's just gonna blow the money somewhere else.
Different strategies work for different people. I started out with the many-category budgeting approach and it didn't work for me at all. I spend less and save more when I have a greatly simplified system. zaurg has already tried your way, let him try mine for a few months.

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

Dustoph posted:

I didn't realize he tried a budget in the past. I haven't really read his old threads, just some knowledge from other thread legends that get whispered around here. Based on how he is listing his income and expenses, I'm going to guess he never did have an actual budget before. It's not like you have to have a ton of categories to have a budget and I never once said he needs a fine grain budget as you put it. Just that he needs an actual budget. You are advocating a budget yourself.
You are correct, of course. But when zaurg hears "budget", he immediately starts breaking out the spreadsheets and making up a bunch of numbers and before you know it, he's got enough complexity that it no longer becomes portable for him. He spends what he spends, then tallies it up later. So I wanted to avoid that as much as possible.

We're doing the limbo here. For zaurg, the first stage is to hold the bar six feet off the ground and not have it hit him in the forehead. To people who understand how the limbo is supposed to work, this probably seems pointless, but if you've read these threads you'll see it's actually a pretty big first step.

zaurg posted:

poo poo! I'm cheating! You guys gotta catch this stuff. I kept Lawn and Gym separate and still gave myself 1000 discretionary
I think you're starting to miss the point again. The point of my post that started all this was for you to add up all the things that are currently fixed costs in your monthly budget (basically bills and anything else you know you're going to have to buy every month), subtract them from your income and monitor that one number throughout the month. Right now, it doesn't matter what that number is or what categories are or aren't in it. The exercise is to practice spending within your means while you make spending decisions. If it sounds too easy, good. It should be.

Stay out of the cycle where you get all amped up and promise to never spend another dollar unnecessarily and you'll be out of debt in two weeks and sitting on a huge pile of cash in two years and owning three houses in ten. Don't crash diet. Every time you do, you eventually get sick of the deprivation and book a vacation or buy a house or indulge yourself in some way that blows the whole thing. Live within your means for a few months, then we can try living a bit below your means and see how that works for you.

Edit: Please ignore the post above me. Like, don't even read it. It's bad for you. (Sorry InfrastructureWeek, it's a perfectly good post, just not for zaurg.)

Giraffe fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Oct 21, 2017

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

InfrastructureWeek posted:

:saddowns: he's just aiming too big, and sweeping all the relevant details under the rug.

Six foot limbo stick. If you read his old threads, you'll see what an accomplishment for zaurg that is.

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

zaurg posted:

It's killing me that I can't afford to go to next Saturday's Miami vs Virginia Tech 8pm game. Could get a ticket and parking for ~70. But I can't afford that, damnit! Motivation to fix this mess.
If you end up $70 under your October target, feel free to go. Sticking it in savings would be great too, but I'm more concerned about you falling into the trap of manic spending deprivation to try to fix your situation as quickly as possible than I am about you maxing your savings rate right now. You've tried that before, several times, and always ended up worse off in the long run.

For the rest of November, just focus on learning to keep your cumulative spending number in mind so you know where you're at all month. Yes, you need to trim your overall spending long term, but that's only going to happen if you know how to keep track of your spending as part of your daily life, which takes practice. Trying to not spend anything all will not help develop those habits. It's the dieting equivalent of switching from junk food to celery and tap water.

Just live your life, make sensible decisions and don't let yourself spend more than that $1000 limit. If that feels too easy, good. It should be easy. It hasn't been until now, though, so don't get ahead of yourself.

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

zaurg posted:

Not going to be under the October target due to not setting and working towards the target until 10/15. After 10/15 I think I've been doing well.

I don't think I'm doing a manic spending deprivation. I think at this rate it *should* be easy but I'm worried about how to tackle unexpected larger expenses like car repairs and home repairs. One of those could easily crush my attempt at staying under $1k for "spending" for the month.

October is finishing up like this:

Category Totals
Income $4,954
Savings $250
Retirement $305
Expenses $4,892
Housing $1,750 35%
Insurance $454 9%
Utilities $420 8%
Childcare $479 10%
Debt $100 2%
Spending $1,689 34% ($1312 prior to 10/15, $377 after 10/15)

Spending since 10/15:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1f3OcZFtC8vAgqBpZnfruASdS0LY4T2_jy3mWf3BP2nE/edit#gid=0
Date Description Amount
10/15/2017 balance as of 10/15 $1,311.00
10/16/2017 none $0.00
10/17/2017 Grocery store $42.61
10/18/2017 Gas $31.24
10/18/2017 Child extracurricular $60.00
10/19/2017 Visa cc interest $51.84
10/20/2017 none $0.00
10/21/2017 none $0.00
10/22/2017 Publix grocery $7.36
10/22/2017 Costco grocery $49.45
10/22/2017 home depot mower oil and pool salt $11.95
10/22/2017 pool store acid $6.51
10/23/2017 none $0.00
10/24/2017 none $0.00
10/25/2017 none $0.00
10/26/2017 Child extracurricular - clothes $12.75
10/26/2017 Grocery store $55.15
10/26/2017 Grocery store - auto coolant $12.00
10/27/2017 AMEX cc interest $6.50
10/28/2017 Child extracirrucular - parking $8.50
10/28/2017 gas $21.41
10/29/2017 none $0.00
10/30/2017
10/31/2017

You say you spent $377 since 10/15, which looks like you failed your test. On closer inspection, if I subtract the credit card interest, you are in fact under $350, although now I'm worried that it was purely accidental. Why was credit card interest listed with everything else? Did you actually track your cumulative discretionary spending during the past two weeks? Or did you just try to keep your overall spending low?

The latter won't fix this. That's what I meant by manic deprivation. The enthusiasm/fear that motivates you not to spend money is a short-term drive. It won't set you up to stay within budget long term unless you can learn some tricks or habits to help yourself control your spending in a natural way.

Remember this post?

zaurg posted:

So short-term goals are still:
- From Oct15->Oct31, I said spend no more than $200-250. Giraffe said $350. Giraffe probably knew 200-250 wasn't going to be possible. I'll still aim for the 250 number.
- November, keep the "Spending" under $1000. Keep the Google doc updated so I can check it in a second from anywhere.
- Continue to put $250/month into emergency fund and throw all extra cash at the Visa card.
(bolding mine)

Your "plan" was to aim for $250. Did you actually do anything to achieve that specific value? By which I mean, did you keep a running tally of your spending and change anything once you got close to it? If you did, where and why did you fail? If not, why not? That was the whole point of the exercise, not the amount you ultimately spent. I want you to know where you're at, in this specific spending category, at all times. I then want you to base your decisions off of it. Kid has an extracurricular that costs $60 + $12.75 + $8.50? You have that much less to spend at the grocery. So you either eat out of your cupboards and/or meal plan your way around it or you tell your kid they can't do the extracurricular.

You have to actually change your behavior in response to this information or else it is ultimately pointless.

Edit: Oh, and to answer this question:

zaurg posted:

I think at this rate it *should* be easy but I'm worried about how to tackle unexpected larger expenses like car repairs and home repairs. One of those could easily crush my attempt at staying under $1k for "spending" for the month.
For November, don't worry about unexpected larger stuff. That's ultimately what your emergency fund and savings will be for. This month, just focus on living within that $1000 for the specific categories we identified and if one of those bigger things comes up, it goes on the credit card. Not ideal, obviously, but that's what was going to happen anyway so let's not try to sprint when we've yet to master crawling.

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

zaurg posted:

I am changing my behavior, in response to keeping track of the $, but perhaps not to the level of what you're talking about. I don't know how else to do it. Maybe those of you who have suggested cash might be the best way. If I start with an envelope of cash and can literally physically see and count what I have left before completing any transaction, that will help? To me that sounds more like the "manic deprivation" Giraffe keeps referring to. I think if I was using 100% cash I would've spent the exact same amount since 10/15 because I consciously thought with each purchase whether I really needed it or not and thought about how it would affect the budget. To me 10/15-10/30 has been a success but it's only two drat weeks. November is the real test.
The reason I advocated a single number was purely because it would be something you could keep in your head, basically all the time. It doesn't have to be perfect. If the number is $850 and you get gas ($24) and groceries ($68), it's fine to just say "ok, that was about a hundred bucks, now I've got $750". You can always refine the number using your Google doc if you're worried that your running tally is going to get out of whack, but it's more important that you have a general sense of where you're at without too much effort than that it's absolutely precise.

Again, I'm just sharing the method that works best for me. If a cash envelope is easier for you, try that. Or figure out something else. It really really doesn't matter what system you use, as long as you have a system that is capable of actually changing your behavior.

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

Giraffe posted:

For November, don't worry about unexpected larger stuff. That's ultimately what your emergency fund and savings will be for. This month, just focus on living within that $1000 for the specific categories we identified and if one of those bigger things comes up, it goes on the credit card. Not ideal, obviously, but that's what was going to happen anyway so let's not try to sprint when we've yet to master crawling.
The water pump should not come out of the $1000, IMO. The odds of you spending less than $530 in November are zero, which means you’re again not actually doing the exercise. Track the categories we talked about and practice keeping a cumulative tally in your head. Don’t let that tally exceed $1k. That’s it.

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat
Great job, zaurg! Seriously. Were you able to keep track of how much headroom you had throughout the month? Because keeping your spending as low as possible is great, but you also need to start exercising the muscles that let you spend a reasonable amount on luxuries and extras without going bananas. Just keep practicing that throughout the next couple of months. And since it's now December, don't be afraid to cut yourself a bit of slack. Considering how badly you've killed your finances in past years over the holidays, just getting out with only minor injuries is a win.

Keep up the good work. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

Ultimate Mango posted:

I don’t remember is any of the threads discussed SMART goal setting with you, but you need to make SMART goals.
This is very good advice. This would be a good thing to do for 2018: set some SMART financial goals for yourself and post them here so you can look back at the end of the year and see how you did.

As for the Bermuda trip, I don't have any problem with you spending your money on that, I think it's a worthy goal to give your kids a cool experience and visit family in a place you've never been. But I don't think it's a realistic goal in that timeframe. Like others, I think your goals should be more modest for the next few months. Continue to keep your monthly spending under a set limit, then start building up an emergency fund. You need to be ready for the next car repair or roof collapse or water heater meltdown.

My worry is that you're going to get bored by this unexciting incremental progress, so you might need to think of a strategy to make it feel more rewarding. For example, if you set a goal to increase your emergency fund balance by $3000 by the end of 2018, you could reward yourself by saying any savings above that at the end of the year can go toward a trip with your kids. How good a trip that is depends on how well you save and how good/lucky you are at avoiding unforeseen expenses. Yes, it would be even better to not spend that money and stick it in savings, but there's more to life than just optimizing your savings balance. Finding a way to have rewarding experiences along the way while still hitting your goals is how you're ultimately going to succeed.

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

zaurg posted:

I'm good just not much to share. Feeling like a hermit. Not going out or dating or anything. Who can afford such a thing.
First 10 days of 2018 I've spent 92 bucks, so the under $1k spending budget is on target. If I could stay way way under perhaps I should use the extra room to buy a new vacuum cleaner thing for my pool. The old one broke a couple months ago. Had an pool expert friend take it apart and it was not repairable. Haven't priced them out much yet, here's one for $250 https://www.amazon.com/BARACUDA-W03000-Advanced-Suction-Automatic/dp/B002HRET3S

Daughter's birthday party planned later this month, got the free pony rides hookup. Ex will buy cake. I'll buy pizza.

1/2/2018 Gas $27.80
1/6/2018 Restaurant $6.49
1/7/2018 Grocery $58.18

Definitely not victory claimed, Mango. Just a start.

This is great to see zaurg, I'm really impressed. Keep up the good work!

As for the pool vacuum, I'm personally fine with you spending your money on whatever you want. You don't need to pass the BFC thriftiness test on every one of your purchases (although it's a great resource when you are looking for ways to trim things), right now we're just learning how to end the month with a surplus rather than deficit. Once you're at the end of the month, look at how much extra you have and decide what you want to do with it. Don't be afraid to do fun stuff with it, either. Going to a football game with friends guilt-free can be very motivational in keeping you on track in coming months. Or buying a nicer pool vacuum than the bare minimum cheapest model. On the flip side, you can buy yourself peace of mind by stashing it for upcoming financial surprises. Ultimately, I'd like to see you have a proper emergency fund as well as a small slush fund to supplement your monthly $1k when you need to. Even with the best of intentions, you're going to have months where you spend more than that $1k, so why not be realistic and prepare? Knowing you have e.g. $400 extra just in case can make each month's budgeting less of a strict pass/fail exercise. And of course, you'll need a proper emergency fund for the big stuff that happens without warning.

For now, though, just focus on getting to month's end with extra money. That's the hard part and you're on track to kill it this month, so just get there.

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

zaurg posted:

If Giraffe comes back to this thread I'll follow his advice, since moana can't come hit me on the head.
No, you won't. You kind of, sort of followed my advice initially because you could distort what I was telling you into what you wanted to hear. I gave you the easiest, laziest path to try to demonstrate the most trivial, basic self-restraint in your spending and you failed spectacularly. While lying the whole time. Am I surprised? Not really. I've read all your other threads, I've seen this before.

And I don't care if you sell your idiotic altcoins or not. It doesn't matter whether you make money on them or lose it all. Not because I wish you ill or would be bitter about good fortune obtained through dumb luck, but because the mere fact that you bought them shows how broken your brain is. $3k is nothing in the grand scheme of things. If you had that exact same $3k on your credit card because you fell asleep at the wheel and crashed your car into a telephone pole, I'd be telling you right now how it was just a small setback that you could get over in no time. It's not the money, it's the impulsiveness and the lying and the rationalizing. Strangers on the Internet can't fix that. No big deal, you'll get through life. I know people who are stupider with money than you who live a perfectly fine life. Not nearly as nice or as comfortable as it could have been, but they're not homeless. You won't be homeless either. Just always a little behind, a little more vulnerable to bad luck and random circumstance.

Good luck, zaurg.

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

zaurg posted:

3k isn't much in the grand scheme of things

That's exactly how I rationalized it

Thanks. I like your take on things... it's very realistic and not spastic spergin out like most of BFC.

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

zaurg, in late October posted:

It pains me to think if my ex would've bought-in to my "go debt free" plan back in 2010 or whenever it was (it's in an old thread), I'd have had my old condo mortgage paid off completely and her student loan paid off completely and be completely debt free as of something like 2013/2014. Then ~3 years since then with no mortgage/no debt just banking cash every month with dual incomes.
drat that mean nasty ex wife, keeping frugal zaurg from living within his means!!

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

the talent deficit posted:

those who actually believed this zaurg thread would be any different than the last three are the only ones who should be banned
Agreed. We all had more than enough information on what to expect from zaurg when this thread started. His idiocy is entertaining, trying to punish him on a message board because he’s candid about what a fuckup he is in real life is dumb, IMO.

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

CharlestonJew posted:

We already have a Bad With Money thread for things like this. It's time to put this old dog down
This is going to sound crazy, so I apologize in advance, but maybe another option is to leave the entertaining thread open and you just... stop reading it?

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

zaurg posted:

she can't get preggo.
You'll forgive me if I don't have a ton of confidence in statements like these from you. Remember when you guaranteed us there was no chance your ex was pregnant? Turned out you had unprotected sex with her and oops, she was! With someone else's baby

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat
GF: "How could they even get to the egg if they have to fight gravity? Sperm can't fly, right?"
Z: "Logic checks out!" :gizz:

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

zaurg posted:

So the thing is, for better or worse, I put more value into the opinions of those around me IRL. BFC is just a bunch of usernames. When good friends who I have a lot of respect for and are much more successful than me are doing it, yeah that's what swayed me over.

zaurg posted:

4chan's /biz is a source of amazing hilarity as well and I will admit I bought 2 shitcoins from comments there.

:discourse:

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

Piell posted:

SELL YOUR COINS YOU DUMBFUCK

Don't listen to him, zaurg. You should be buying, not selling. What is your credit card limit?

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

zaurg posted:

visa1) $0 available
visa2) $7,269 available
amex) $6,026 available

You can triple that in no time! That's like $40k!

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

ryde posted:

We’re talking about zaurg here.
That's when he'll smoothly pivot into "durp de doo, woe is me, if only I had listened to BFC before! Anyway, no sense living in the past, this time I'm serious you guys, I'm going to buckle down and get my poo poo together!"

He'll then sort of save for a couple of months before deciding he should take it a second mortgage to invest in his friend's cereal restaurant.

Should be pretty fun.

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

zaurg posted:

Ah yes. Yes I am considering it. Why is it a terrible suggestion?

house sale 350k
- 248k mortgage payoff
- 25k seller fees (~7%)
- 5k personal loan payoff
- 3k credit card payoff
= 69k

Assuming a 350k sale is doable, 69k in the bank and 100% debt free. A 330k sale would mean 51k banked.
It's a terrible suggestion because you're an unredeemable fuckup. If tomorrow we dropped you into an apartment with a $69k check in your hand, I guarantee you'd be in a just as bad if not worse financial situation in a year.

Stop trying to find magic bullets or big exciting actions to take. The only actual solution to your financial problems is teaching yourself to spend less than you make. Which is entirely doable with your current income and mortgage if you could just get the squirrels in your head to stop getting bored and looking for get-rich-quick schemes after a month or two of normalcy.

Or, whatever, buy more altcoins. I'm sure future people will look back and wish they'd had the opportunity to buy as many weedcoins as they could back when they were only $10 each.

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

AndrewP posted:

What $ did he buy BTC at, just outta curiosity?

He didn't buy BTC, he bought a bunch of knock-off copies. It's like you heard about dot-com stocks in December of 1999, so you ran out and bought stock in qets.com, a website that makes all its money selling ads to people who made typos while looking for pets.com. It's one more level removed from something that's already stupid, useless and overvalued.

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

Andy Dufresne posted:

Can I post that we were able to buy my wife a brand new Cr-v or is that a trigger?

It fits in with the rest of the self-congratulatory financial autofellatio on this page, so go ahead I guess. It is Valentine’s Day, after all.

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

zaurg posted:

BFC advice taken:
- a bunch of nonsense that adds up to hardly anything

BFC advice not taken (yet?):
- spend less than you make
- seriously, just focus on learning how to control your spending
- ok, let's take it really really slow, how about you rein in your spending the tiniest bit for a month or two and see how it goes?
- jesus loving christ, did you really just buy fake Bitcoins on a credit card you loving knob??
- have your brain scanned for tumors

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

Devian666 posted:

Diversification is supposed to be across asset classes. It's also a position not typically leveraged with high interest credit card debt as that results in a negative return.

It's like when you spend your whole paycheck on scratch-off lottery tickets, you want to buy several different kinds in case one of them isn't lucky.

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

zaurg posted:

Another fact that is crazy is that I'm 40 and have contributed to a 401k with my employers matching a % for 11 years total, and the entirety of my retirement savings is at $20k right now in the 401k. I literally am my dad, using my retirement savings for other poo poo besides retirement.
No man, don't second guess yourself. Saving for retirement is boring. Having money is boring. Life is too short to be boring, you want to be able to look back when you're old (and working at Walmart) and think about all the ways you almost made it rich with very little effort.

Seriously, shove your "woe is me" act up your rear end. If you're going to be willfully stupid, at least own it.

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

No Butt Stuff posted:

At what threshold does he sell? Like, he hasn't set a limit. They could reach 100k, he still wouldn't sell, then it could crash to a dollar and he'd still think he was doing the right thing.
It doesn't matter. Making a 1000% return on the altcoins would be worse for zaurg than losing every penny, because it would validate get-rich-quick schemes as the true way to make real money. Coming out ahead is just money that will eventually end up in shady real estate investments or penny stocks or whatever the next Internet Ponzi scheme is.

He is clearly far more driven by the fear of missing out on quick riches than by the actual outcome. If he sold his altcoins now and they doubled in value, it would haunt him forever. Making $3k on altcoins would be infinitely more gratifying to him than ending up with a $3k savings account by basic budget discipline. The former is being brave and right and succeeding against the odds and the nattering voices of those who would tear down your dreams. The latter is just deprivation and being a loser who can't indulge his impulses whenever he wants. $3k is nothing compared with that.

BFC should stop wasting their time yelling at zaurg to sell his coins or think of his kids. Freeing up that money won't quiet the voice in his brain that tells him to jerk the steering wheel as soon as the bus has been driving straight on the highway long enough to be boring. He's destined for the ditch.

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

Weatherman posted:

Moneyball, can you up his toxx to a perma or something?

Please don't. Permabanning zaurg would deprive the rest of us of the comedy of seeing how lovely things end up turning out and how he fucks himself over next. The overall story arc is one of the best part of these threads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat
Yeah, the tax fraud talk is pretty pointless. It's far from the stupidest part of wasting $3k on fake bitcoins.

And speaking of:

zaurg posted:

I can't figure out if goons are trolling when equating cryptocurrency to Beanie Babies.
It's already been covered to some extent, but the fact that you don't understand what's driving the value of your investment is maddening. What's interesting is the careful use of self-deluding language. It's very MLM-like, where instead of "selling garbage to your friends and pressuring them to sell it too", you're "starting your own business".

In your case, you're not investing in cryptocurrency as a concept. Even if cryptocurrency becomes widely used (it won't), you aren't going to be rich. Because you're invested in specific instantiations that are trivially easy to produce. The whole notion of Bitcoin as a store of value is driven by scarcity. Bitcoin copies are "scarce" in the sense that there's a fixed number of coins within each one, but not scarce at all in the sense that you can just stamp out a new one and slap a different name on it. You're in the middle of a hype cycle where people who don't understand what they're buying are driving up the price of otherwise worthless commodities. That won't last forever.

Don't sell them, though. People can be a lot dumber than you think so you could still make money. And if you don't, good. I'd rather you lost money on this than broke even. Not because I wish you ill (I don't), but because it'll be marginally better for you in the long run if you don't make money on this.