Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

I'm EffEmmEll on PSN, played to t3 ships when it first popped up but i got bored by myself. Feek free to send me a friend request.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
One of these days we're going to have to set up a voice channel for when we manage to get groups going.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
I tried to message you tonight. :(

Signal wasn't around though. We do need to get a fuckening on. We can just use the "That's No Goon" server for voice. I'll set-up a gaming channel.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I tried to message you the other night too. I think if one person is in a match, they don't get the message. If the other person joins a match, the message is cancelled. I hope this is one of the things they're working on.

Also, that 350gp Vanguard welcome bundle seems like a decent deal. I've got 875gp just from career progression rewards. I don't need another T2 arty but the 10k spacebux and hat wouldn't go amiss. Thoughts?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Okay, just DM me in fuggin' Discord, then. I'll probably see that at least.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Inimicul posted:

I tried to message you the other night too. I think if one person is in a match, they don't get the message. If the other person joins a match, the message is cancelled. I hope this is one of the things they're working on.

Also, that 350gp Vanguard welcome bundle seems like a decent deal. I've got 875gp just from career progression rewards. I don't need another T2 arty but the 10k spacebux and hat wouldn't go amiss. Thoughts?

I once thought the 10k spacebux was worth it but nah, just buy elite status instead

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
T2 Arty Barge acquired. I found the best power for arty barges - you can cover friendly ships with your point defense systems. This is crazy useful. I'm also kind of enjoying destroyers, but they're not quite as entertaining.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

PadreScout posted:

T2 Arty Barge acquired. I found the best power for arty barges - you can cover friendly ships with your point defense systems. This is crazy useful. I'm also kind of enjoying destroyers, but they're not quite as entertaining.

IMO if "entertaining" means loving up the other guy in spectacular ways, they're all entertaining. Destroyers are capable of some ridiculous poo poo.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

signalnoise posted:

IMO if "entertaining" means loving up the other guy in spectacular ways, they're all entertaining. Destroyers are capable of some ridiculous poo poo.

They're just not as dramatic. Like in my Arty I can hit seige mode and drat near 3 shot an enemy dreadnought in seconds. I can see waves of incoming missiles, pop point defense and shoot them all down. It's dramatic. Destroyers are probably more useful in general - but they lack the panache.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

PadreScout posted:

They're just not as dramatic. Like in my Arty I can hit seige mode and drat near 3 shot an enemy dreadnought in seconds. I can see waves of incoming missiles, pop point defense and shoot them all down. It's dramatic. Destroyers are probably more useful in general - but they lack the panache.

You aren't killing that dreadnought by yourself, and not from full health. Or you know, whatever. Destroyers can do real real dumb poo poo with warp + weaponbooster pulse. I'll do a video some time.

Also, dude. Destroyers can ram. They can RAM.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jul 29, 2017

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

signalnoise posted:

I once thought the 10k spacebux was worth it but nah, just buy elite status instead

We can buy 7 days of elite status for 600g

The 350g welcome pack comes with :
7 days of elite status
10,000 credits
T2 artillery
some decals
Komissar hat

Seems like a good deal. Especially since they give you a fair bit from progression alone.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Oh, I was remembering elite status as less than that. Oh well, buy whatever gives you elite status. 10000 credits really aint poo poo, that's really all I'm sayin, and the ships you can buy are 1 to 1 the same as the ships you can earn. They are not any better at all.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

signalnoise posted:

You aren't killing that dreadnought by yourself, and not from full health.

Never claimed it, and not sure where you got that from. I dunno - maybe qualifiers are confusing things. Let me try again. You can knock off a very large percentage of a dreadnoughts health-pool in 3 shots from siege mode and it happens so quickly that it is impressive to me.

That said - destroyers sound interesting. Ramming sounds fun. The destroyer I have unlocked doesn't have anything that sounds like weapon boosting or warping. It just has a module reset - which is nice, but meh. I dunno, I'll play that one off and on and maybe a later unlocked one will have some features that really blow my pants off.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Corvette (at least first one) is ridiculously fun to play, action, daring raids, impossible escapes. It's important not to be afraid attacking bigger targets if you see the opportunity, if a destroyer is distracted by someone else you can totally take it on. Or just hir afterburner and GTFO if you see it firing at you.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

PadreScout posted:

Never claimed it, and not sure where you got that from. I dunno - maybe qualifiers are confusing things. Let me try again. You can knock off a very large percentage of a dreadnoughts health-pool in 3 shots from siege mode and it happens so quickly that it is impressive to me.

That said - destroyers sound interesting. Ramming sounds fun. The destroyer I have unlocked doesn't have anything that sounds like weapon boosting or warping. It just has a module reset - which is nice, but meh. I dunno, I'll play that one off and on and maybe a later unlocked one will have some features that really blow my pants off.

I should restate too- as you move forward, you'll likely find siege mode less impressive. Now that said, there are very particular reasons why I say that a dreadnought specifically doesn't care about siege mode.

1- There are basically 2 major configurations and play styles that I've seen from dreadnoughts. One is a long range attacker that holds their ship back to protect their own siege and tac cruisers. The other is in your face. In either case, you've got a choice primarily between warping or taking some armor module. If they are holding themselves back and they have warp, well I don't see much to that. In either case though, if they took the armor module, that gives them 15 seconds from pressing that button that they take 80% reduced damage, and that is just the first tier of that module.

2- Power efficiency is a huge deal. The most extreme examples are gonna be corvettes and dreadnoughts. Corvette shields absorb 100% of damage taken, but when using shields their energy gets wrecked. They can use thruster power very very easily though. Dreadnoughts only absorb 65% of damage taken, but each point of energy they use absorbs a much greater amount of damage compared to a corvette, so they can sit there tanking longer.

So what this means really is that the people you're going to rock the hell out of with siege mode is really slower moving ships that are not dreadnoughts, because if the person playing the dreadnought has any kind of decent reaction time, they will move their power to shields or activate their armor module.

Now that's not to say you can't wreck a dreadnought, it's just siege mode in particular is a poor choice for that in my opinion. IN MY OPINION siege mode should be used for what amounts to suppressing fire, or for hitting a command ship. If you can shoot a dreadnought, they can shoot you too, and an alternative to siege mode is just using your all power to weapons.

Finally though, all of this was written from the perspective of the Akula Vector artillery ship, and the AV arty ship doesn't need siege mode to lay nearly unavoidable hurt. The Oberon ships see considerably better value from siege mode because they are much faster and more maneuverable, but lack spike damage without modules.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Moved the play with goons section to the overflow post.

Added a discord we can use until we need to create one just for dreadnought goons.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Inimicul, Signal, and myself had a reasonably successful run last night.

Join the discord in the 2nd post and we can coordinate better when we're available to play. (Sorry PS4 bros, this is the PC crew).

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
HAHAHA! Hell yeah. I especially loved that one match where we all got in corvettes and nuked half their team until the red baron showed up and it became all about dog fights.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Inimicul posted:

HAHAHA! Hell yeah. I especially loved that one match where we all got in corvettes and nuked half their team until the red baron showed up and it became all about dog fights.

Yeah it was fun as hell at the open when we destroyed their entire fleet... idk how it went off the rails so hard.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Chilichimp posted:

Yeah it was fun as hell at the open when we destroyed their entire fleet... idk how it went off the rails so hard.

WELL IT WASNT MY FAULT

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I feel like corvettes are one of those classes that really reward personal skill. That dude from last night easily won the game for that team. I, on the other hand, get into a corvette and immediately crash into terrain while trying to escape from the ship I barely scratched.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Inimicul posted:

I feel like corvettes are one of those classes that really reward personal skill. That dude from last night easily won the game for that team. I, on the other hand, get into a corvette and immediately crash into terrain while trying to escape from the ship I barely scratched.

The aristrocrats

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Hows the grind in this compared to MWO? This seems like the kind of thing I'd be into but if it takes 20 hours of game play to grind up a ship to the point where it's effective I'm going to pass.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

KodiakRS posted:

Hows the grind in this compared to MWO? This seems like the kind of thing I'd be into but if it takes 20 hours of game play to grind up a ship to the point where it's effective I'm going to pass.

The game is bracketed with regards to the power of ships, so it isn't so bad.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Actually I should amend that- the game is bracketed which helps with usefulness, but the game is fun as you level up anyway

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Something else that helps it stand out is that the primary weapon for each ship doesn't start off with a weak version you have to grind through. The ship already starts with the best (and and only) one available. All the rest of the unlocks are either small upgrades to the secondary weapons and modules with most of the upgrades being sidegrades to change the way it plays.

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib
Tried the game yesterday and I really like playing Tac Cruisers - hiding behind fat ships while healing them reminds me a lot of Team Fortress 2.
And sometimes I even get to burn someone's rear end off when they underestimate the damage output of the secondary tesla beam!

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I've also tried some games and I can't tell what's happening I have to move in so many directions, shoot guns, manage cooldowns and energy usage? oh my gaaawd

Actually it does seem like a fun game, but I'm so old & slow anything faster than WoT makes me confused and scared.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

bloom posted:

I've also tried some games and I can't tell what's happening I have to move in so many directions, shoot guns, manage cooldowns and energy usage? oh my gaaawd

Actually it does seem like a fun game, but I'm so old & slow anything faster than WoT makes me confused and scared.

You get used to it pretty fast. You probably won't like corvettes, but most of this game is actually just decision making if you aren't dealing with dogfights between corvettes. Even with corvettes though, the whole game revolves around shooting the enemy at optimal range while not being in their optimal range and firing arc to be shot with their good guns. If you can shoot them in the back, you do even more damage, and that's cool, but if you're using a dreadnought for instance, you move slowly enough and are hard enough to bring down the it really is all about guessing where the enemy is going to be in 5-10 seconds and being in position to just blast the poo poo out of them.

A lot of players in this game think it's about a coordinated space navy that sets up a position and just fires away with their shields up. That will not win the game. What wins the game is positioning, and positioning requires movement and knowledge of the enemy. If they have a destroyer and a tac cruiser, shoot the tac cruiser, not the destroyer. That kind of poo poo. But there are lots and lots of morons playing this game apparently who think running a destroyer headlong at the broad side of a dreadnought will get the job done. Nope

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib
Ouch! I have no idea how they make it work, but the T2 artillery cruiser apparently works really great as a brutal close-range assassins. hard to hit, very fast and unleashes a lot of damage :(

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Sounds like that Oberon Furia. The one that looks like there's a circle missing from the middle of it? I'm not sold on its ability as a sniper but it can poo poo out some damage at something slow enough or close enough to it. You're right about the maneuverability at the cost of armor though.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
This sounds really fun, hopefully the PSN store will have up the open beta soon

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

drrockso20 posted:

This sounds really fun, hopefully the PSN store will have up the open beta soon

They said it starts August 1st, so sometime today, I'd imagine.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I'm gonna give this a try tonight but are there any Fractured Space fans in here that can give a comparison? I find the grind and the gameplay are really good in that.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I played FS first and thought it was ok for about a month but it couldn't hold my interest. This game feels a bit slower paced and more grindy but the ships don't feel quite as fragile on the whole. So far I'm enjoying this one more even though it has less diversity. There's no lanes. No countdown to the bonus thing in the middle for the upgrade. You don't gain power in the battle, you unlock them through traditional grinding but they're mostly sidegrades or incremental upgrades to everything except the primary. The controls are almost identical though so it should be easy to try since it only costs you time. Big ships tend to clump together and broadside the gently caress out of each other while smaller ships dog fight each other and harass the larger ships that aren't paying attention or stray from the pack. It's more like space combat you see in movies and books instead of capture the flag in space.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Zigmidge posted:

I'm gonna give this a try tonight but are there any Fractured Space fans in here that can give a comparison? I find the grind and the gameplay are really good in that.

I played like... the intro to fractured space

Based on my severely limited experience... this game feels alot faster because the arena is much smaller. You don't drop in/drop out of games for territory capture, you just go 8 on 8 and the match ends.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I've now joined in on the PS4 version under the name DrRockso_20

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
this game is good and more people should play. it's free goddamnit

in comparison to fractured space, it's definitely more understandable if that means anything. the ships have very obvious and very defined roles, which adds a touch of realism to a game about spaceships blowing each other up.

i also like it much more

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I gave it a good shot last night, fun poo poo. It's definitely more capital ship pew pewing so I'm all in.

As for my comparison, this game is MUCH faster paced. Ships fly and engage like fighters compared to the lumbering boats of Fractured Space. Even very slow dreadnoughts can take advantage of tactical warping to zip around the battlefield. Engagements are much faster than Fractured Space. A 1v1 leveraged by good positioning and matchup will melt a ship in seconds the instant you're in range. Also opposite Fractured Space's ablative armor system is a positional armor system which makes sense since they decided to make Dreadnought's ships fly like tanks that cannot strafe. They both throw new ships at you at about the same rate.

And speaking of new ships, the biggest difference between the two are corvettes! High speed, high maneuverability, high damage and low health. In Fractured Space a ship like that wouldn't make it out of the spawn. In this, you can use ground cover very effectively to engage and retreat on your terms. Very fun and rewarding ship to fly. I recommend everyone rushes through the destroyer class first to unlock the corvette. It flies unlike any of the other classes.

My verdict? They're both very fun capital ship games and offer different things.I will continue to play both but I can see myself burning out on the grind in this. I think the biggest knock against this game is that ships and loadouts 'upgrade' and leave old models behind in the dust while Fractured Space will always offer me fortyish ships every round. Variety is the spice of life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
The deeper you go in the tech trees, the more different module options you have available to you. Also, any modules purchases earlier in the tree for a specific ship-type are available instantly in the upgraded version of the ship.

This mean if you likes the Dover and don't want to grind out T3 speed amps to play the Machias... don't fret, bro. Just change the base Machias loadout to use the module you purchased from the Dover's tech tree.

• Locked thread