Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Everything is classier in French, right? And this game could use some class-ing up. Name the pomme pomme D'Tere. Or some way of getting "de terre" into the 6-character limit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
If I remember from when I played this way back, I think Yue's overpriced wares consist almost entirely of various favorite gifts of the townspeople? I seem to remember using her to get people birthday gifts when money was less of an issue and I didn't feel like crafting or gathering them. But maybe I'm misremembering her for some other RF game.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Rawkking posted:

If I remember from when I played this way back, I think Yue's overpriced wares consist almost entirely of various favorite gifts of the townspeople? I seem to remember using her to get people birthday gifts when money was less of an issue and I didn't feel like crafting or gathering them. But maybe I'm misremembering her for some other RF game.

It's true. A lot of Yue's wares are the villagers birthday presents.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I like Bubs as a pomme pomme name.

AbstractBlacksmith
Mar 26, 2013
Since you mentioned Pirates of the Caribbean, might as well name a Goblin Pirate Jack!

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Randalor posted:

Everything is classier in French, right? And this game could use some class-ing up. Name the pomme pomme D'Tere. Or some way of getting "de terre" into the 6-character limit.

A pun so bad I can do nothing but agree

I'll also propose Dawson for the Goblin pirate. (Click that link for some excellent music)

sheep-dodger fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Aug 8, 2017

Metaligatr
Mar 10, 2013

Khajit was up all night to get lucky.

Randalor posted:

If you need a French word for potato, Patate works (and gets my vote.) It's pretty much the equivalent of "spud" or "tater". It's not terribly classy but it fits the character limit. :eng101:

Anyway, I'm glad later games just let you see where everyone is without needing to ask the local psychic. I really appreciated that in RF3 and 4 and the lack of that feature frustrated me a lot in Stardew Valley. That said I'm all for spending all our cash on location readings if it means we get to marry that hat.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Metaligatr posted:

Anyway, I'm glad later games just let you see where everyone is without needing to ask the local psychic. I really appreciated that in RF3 and 4 and the lack of that feature frustrated me a lot in Stardew Valley. That said I'm all for spending all our cash on location readings if it means we get to marry that hat.

The location readings are so incredibly cheap and also fill up Alicia's LP, so I don't mind it. It's better than the last game's system of "guess".

Marriage Poll is done, but I'm debating holding off on posting it until the next update, since we haven't interacted with Dorothy or Yue much yet, at all. If you...particularly care about Dorothy or Yue.

please do not vote for dorothy

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

I like Dorothy.

But I'm the person who played RF2 over and over just to marry all these different people.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Yue and Hat Lady have the most interesting character designs, in terms of portraits. I haven't really detected much of any personality in anyone, though.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself
All of the bachelorettes have a pretty stock anime personality type and an unrelated gimmick (or two, like Cecilia and monsters). That's not bad, honestly, especially considering how little dialogue most of them get. (Fire Emblems spend a lot more wordcount to make a lot shallower (a lot less deep...?) characters, heh.) Yue ended up being my favorite, but like heck am I playing RF2 again, so I'll vote for someone else. :v:

I guess fans of not-Mana should be happy they get that much. There actually is a pan of a few other characters at the end of the intro video, but it's so short Hippo probably blinked and missed it:

That's it! Well, I think Julia photo-bombs a few frames in the middle too.

Anyway, good to see more from you, man. :patriot: Keep up the good work!

glocknar
May 17, 2017
I support goblin pirate Jack. I can't help but get the idea that he's just going to try to rally the other monsters to rise up against us because not enough rum :allears:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Since it's a Pomme Pomme, I think it should be called Kyary for the song PONPONPON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzC4hFK5P3g
Goblin Gangster can be named Sixpac for more literal reasons.
The Goblin itself should just be HobNob because I like the way it sounds and no one else has put forth something.

Arcomage
Nov 10, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Yue and Hat Lady have the most interesting character designs, in terms of portraits. I haven't really detected much of any personality in anyone, though.

On the other hand, apparently the devs thought so too. That line of thinking ends up with Rune Factory 3 and NPCs who are often closer to 'clinically insane' than 'amusingly quirky', and I'm not sure that's better. More amusing, though.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Arcomage posted:

On the other hand, apparently the devs thought so too. That line of thinking ends up with Rune Factory 3 and NPCs who are often closer to 'clinically insane' than 'amusingly quirky', and I'm not sure that's better. More amusing, though.

It's absolutely better. At the very least it invites the player to pay attention to what the characters are saying.

DraegonX
Mar 19, 2009
Why does Cecilia not have any arms when she's in her maid outfit?

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

DraegonX posted:

Why does Cecilia not have any arms when she's in her maid outfit?

She does. The purple things are her arms.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Wayne posted:

I guess fans of not-Mana should be happy they get that much. There actually is a pan of a few other characters at the end of the intro video, but it's so short Hippo probably blinked and missed it:

I kept trying to capture this bit in screenshots but it always ended up looking a little awkward, so I decided to go with the ol' SSLP standby "don't tell them about it and maybe they won't notice". Thank you for getting better quality shots, though!

Also apparently people do care about Dorothy and Yue, so the next update will probably be a quick one to do a Dorothy and Yue quest, maybe a Julia one too, and get a monster or two, then marriage poll.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Ah, RF2. The one where it's technically playable by normal people, but I wouldn't actively recommend it since RF3 and 4 are so much less tedious(and have important skills to level like walking, bathing, eating, and sleeping).

...with the exception of quests, since RF2 lets you take infinity quests a day. If you're really bored and/or desperate for money, you can farm Tanya's orc murder quest(which is repeatable) for a while in the beginning.

Sage Grimm posted:

Since it's a Pomme Pomme, I think it should be called Kyary for the song PONPONPON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzC4hFK5P3g
Goblin Gangster can be named Sixpac for more literal reasons.
The Goblin itself should just be HobNob because I like the way it sounds and no one else has put forth something.
This all sounds good to me.

Arcomage posted:

RF4 strikes a balance more tolerable to normal people(I hesistate to say better because I unironically enjoy a lot of RF3 NPCs), but really the major leap was the sheer volume of daily dialogue in 3 and 4. You'll see a lot of repetition in 2, even this early in the game. Most characters in 3 and 4 don't start repeating themselves until at least a year in.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Aug 12, 2017

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 6: Dai-Kon 2017

Welcome back to a fairly short Rune Factory 2 update. I figured something a bit quicker and more digestible would be best for introducing everyone to the last two marriage candidates we haven’t really interacted with much, Yue and Dorothy.

Of course, Bandan has to bathe after all that island mining last time around. Byron’s here too, which means no Barn building for us yet.

Still, I promised Dorothy and Yue quests today, so we’re back at the board. You’ll probably be seeing this screen more often than any other in the game.

We’ll take care of Yue’s first, because it’s pretty quick and easy.

She’s not in her usual hawking spot, though, so I enlisted some help.

I know I mentioned this was voice acted last time, but I should also mention voice acted lines cannot be skipped. So get used to this a lot if you’re playing RF2.

Anyway it was one screen north of where I was checking. Whoops.

: I have a job for you… I have to do a lot of traveling in my line of work. That means I'm always climbing mountains and crossing rivers, you know, that sort of thing. It's a rough lifestyle, to be honest, and it puts a lot of stress on my skin. Of course, I try to take good care of my skin, but I can only do so much.

Bandan always has so much to say in these scenes.

: That’s why I want HONEY. I’ve heard that if you eat HONEY every day, it helps protect your skin. That’s where you come in, Bandan. I want you to bring me HONEY. You should be able to find it in Trieste Forest.

: Okay, I’ll go find it for you.

: Thanks. Good luck, Bandan.

This is another early quest that sends us into Trieste Forest. There are a lot of these.

An Orc shooting an arrow at Bandan while he desperately tries to break this rock is pretty much the peak of Rune Factory.

Of course, I can also use the rocks for cover. That’s my cool tip/trick for the update.

The Honey is pretty far into the Forest, if you remember where I fought the orcs? It’s up at the north end of that room. There’s also another open room here.

This is the Wooded Paradise, there’s really nothing in this room. Nice to get the map filled out, though. Let’s go make a Honey delivery.

Or, rather, I would do that, but the Inn is closed. Guess I’ll have to chat with Yue tomorrow.

Or, I thought I would. I just walked into Messhina Valley and she suddenly followed me in. I don’t think Yue sleeps.

: I knew I could count on you, Bandan! Thank you so much! Here’s your reward!

: Do come again!

Daikons are interesting, in that I’m not really sure what they are and that they take two full weeks of watering to grow, in a winter climate.

Okay I wikipedia’d Daikons, It’s a kind of Asian radish, this is an informative LP now.

Of course, to plant them, we’ll have to head into the final dungeon available to us so far. The frozen Padova Mountains are our last stop.

It’s also filled with axe guys.

Ah, poo poo. These are the Ogre Vikings. They like to huck axes at you and are generally a little obnoxious, but they’re not very different from the Goblin Gangsters.

Padova Mountain, oddly enough, has no farming spot in the first room, unlike all the other caves. We’ll have to go a bit deeper in for that.

Our actual destination is the second room, Flowing River, which houses the Silver Wolf. These are probably the most dangerous monsters so far. They have a pouncing ttack, which isn’t a huge deal, but they can combo you if you get close for about 36 damage. That’s about a third of Bandan’s HP at the moment.

So I mostly just made judicious use of Fireball.

Oh, this is worth noting, sometimes the spawner is really far away from the monsters it puts out. There are two Wolf spawners in this room, one of them is hiding all the way out here.

Here’s what I came here for. The Flowing River has this handy patch of land. Although all that stuff is covered in snow, it doesn’t actually affect the items, it’s just a nice touch.

And the Daikons are planted. It’ll be a while before I see any returns from this, but hey, might as well get it started.

That’s enough for the day, but it was pretty eventful.

Going back in the morning, the enemies outside the cave have changed! This is the Orc Viking, not to be confused with the Ogre Viking. It’s...pretty much the same thing, really.

They have a pretty slow and clumsy melee swing and aren’t a huge threat.

There are still wolves. There will always be wolves.

I’m not sure why I keep talking to Jake.

We haven’t done much of anything with Dorothy yet, so let’s get her first Bulletin Board quest out of the way.

She’s Gordon’s daughter, so I checked the church first.

She’s also not in her room, but Rosalind and Julia are? Huh.

Is...is her face okay?

: Does that surprise you? It shouldn't. I'm interested in all sorts of things. I think there's a lot more to fortune-telling than most people think.

: Us girls get together here a lot!

Dorothy isn’t even here.

Thankfully she was pretty much right outside.

She does actually run away here.

: Hey, wait! Wait a minute! Did you find what you lost…? Oh, she’s gone. An AMULET? Hmm...I’ll bet she misses it, so I should find it and return it to her. Where to look, though? Hmm…

Bandan is most talkative with...himself.

Also Rosalind just kinda shows up.

: Hello! I’m looking for something that Dorothy lost.

: Oh, I see. It may be around the docks. Have you looked there yet? I saw her heading toward there, alone, a minute ago.

: I see… Yes, she may have lost it there! Thank you! I’ll go and take a look right away!

: I hope you find it.

Thankfully, Rosalind’s right on the money. The Amulet is right in the middle of the path to the docks.

You can actually equip it too, for five defense points, but I’d rather get the quest done.

...Which requires tracking Dorothy down again.

Well, I was already at the Docks, so this is just convenient.

Huh. Being at the Clinic made me realize Bandan hasn’t worked himself unconscious yet. That’s actually a lot harder to do in this game.

: I brought this for you.

: Oh….this is… Well, th-thank you.

: No problem. Be careful not to lose it again!

: Ah! H-hold on… Pl-Please, here, take this.

I mean...at least it covers the Alicia fees?

: Thank you! But really, there’s no need for this…

And that’s the end of that quest. Pretty quick and easy, though the reward kinda sucks a lot.

Let’s see Byron about a Barn.

: Thank you.

Ouch. For once, the Wood is the easy part. This is a strange new sequel world.

: Th-that’s a little more expensive than I was expecting…!

: We are talking about an entire building here, after all! You have my permission to build it, anyway, so the rest is up to you. Once you have the materials and the money, come back and talk to me again.

Well. I guess next time, we’re gonna scrounge up some barn money.

New Monsters

Ogre Viking
Silver Wolf
Orc Viking

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 17, 2017

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Clearly our silver wolf needs to be named Ammy.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

LordHippoman posted:

Daikons are interesting, in that I’m not really sure what they are and that they take two full weeks of watering to grow, in a winter climate.

Okay I wikipedia’d Daikons, It’s a kind of Asian radish, this is an informative LP now.

Thanks, Trio of Towns.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

LordHippoman posted:

Going back in the morning, the enemies outside the cave have changed! This is the Orc Viking, not to be confused with the Ogre Viking. It’s...pretty much the same thing, really.

Rune Factory 2 loves to do this poo poo. Unlike later games in the series, enemies in Rune Factory 2 only have a single item they can drop, so there's a lot of functionally identical monsters with minorly different palettes or models that only exist so that you can have more items drop from an area. Another example are the Goblin Pirates vs the Goblin Gangsters in Blessia Island - they both fight almost identically and take about the same amount of damage, but one drops the Skull and the other drops something else. Good luck remembering which is which!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

KataraniSword posted:

Rune Factory 2 loves to do this poo poo. Unlike later games in the series, enemies in Rune Factory 2 only have a single item they can drop, so there's a lot of functionally identical monsters with minorly different palettes or models that only exist so that you can have more items drop from an area. Another example are the Goblin Pirates vs the Goblin Gangsters in Blessia Island - they both fight almost identically and take about the same amount of damage, but one drops the Skull and the other drops something else. Good luck remembering which is which!

:psyduck: That seems like a bizarre way to handle things like that. Making more assets just to get around an awkwardly designed system? Okay.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

:psyduck: That seems like a bizarre way to handle things like that. Making more assets just to get around an awkwardly designed system? Okay.

It's even weirder when you consider that monsters had multiple items on their drop tables in...Rune Factory 1.

RF2 really is like, the definition of "sidegrade".

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Dr. Fetus posted:

I assume it was an attempt to intentionally make items harder to farm en masse due to something coming up later.

It didn't really work.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

It's not that difficult to tell the goblins apart.

One of them throws knives at you, and the other is pure melee.

The knife thrower is a pain. And sometimes they don't throw knives at you, but basically this is a difference.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Dang, that's a lot of money, considering what kind of payout we've been getting so far.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug

LordHippoman posted:

Of course, Donnel has to bathe after all that island mining last time around. Byron’s here too, which means no Barn building for us yet.

Glad to see Donnel is still working hard after all this time since we last saw him! :v:

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
So happy to see you doing RF2 Hippoman! When i first came to this series at least through 3 had been released, but I started with 1, and I'm kindof glad I did. 1 and 2 are just woefully outclassed but what comes later, but there is fun to be had here. Especially in 2, while the ideas they try out fail a lot (sometimes spectacularly), they're still fun ideas I'm glad I got to try before playing 3 and being unable to go back.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Glaive17 posted:

Glad to see Donnel is still working hard after all this time since we last saw him! :v:

Donnel is going to be the new "Chris" of my CTRL+F bar. Thanks for the catch.

Old Greg posted:

So happy to see you doing RF2 Hippoman! When i first came to this series at least through 3 had been released, but I started with 1, and I'm kindof glad I did. 1 and 2 are just woefully outclassed but what comes later, but there is fun to be had here. Especially in 2, while the ideas they try out fail a lot (sometimes spectacularly), they're still fun ideas I'm glad I got to try before playing 3 and being unable to go back.

I've been warned against ever playing 3, because apparently I might just lose all drive to play this one, and reading Haifisch's LP I can see why. I'm extremely jealous of being able to get your villager friends to beat up monsters with you.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

LordHippoman posted:

I've been warned against ever playing 3, because apparently I might just lose all drive to play this one, and reading Haifisch's LP I can see why. I'm extremely jealous of being able to get your villager friends to beat up monsters with you.
No joke, the biggest QOL improvements are being able to stack items while carrying them and items persisting if you accidentally put them down on the ground.

This also leads to me accidentally trashing a lot of items while trying(and failing, because the mechanic doesn't exist yet) to stack them whenever I go back and try playing RF2.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Rune Factory 2: Marriage Poll

Our hero, the illustrious Bandan, has a decision on his hands. The bonds of fate and poor game design have decided that he must get married, otherwise the plot will never go anywhere and the majority of the game’s features will remain forever locked to us.

As you know, this cannot stand, so I’m enlisting the help of the esteemed “Thread” to decide on who Bandan will try to marry. We have seven total options, all of them actually reasonable this time, with no Wi-Fi Fish Shenanigans involved.

First off, let’s look at our candidates.

Alicia is a budding fortune teller and wears the coolest hat in this game, or maybe all games. She loves making money, with mostly scrupulous means, and often has to take action to ensure all her fortunes come true.

Alicia’s Love Points cannot be raised with gifts, but only through spending time with her at festivals, doing her sidequests, and giving her Fortune Money. Her proposal is pretty straightforward as well, and we won’t have to jump through many hoops to win her over.

Cecilia is an elf and a cameo character from the last game. While she used to love doing stupid things with rocks and caves, as well as being generally kind of useless, she’s matured and works as a maid at the Sainte-Coquille Manor. She’s kindhearted and gentle, and loves all kinds of precious stones.

Marrying Cecila requires completing all ten of her requests at the bulletin board. She’s also being romantically pursued by Jake, and if we don’t marry her, he will. Marrying her might be considered a mercy, in this case.

Dorothy is shy to the point of rarely being able to speak, and when she does…...it……….looks…….like……...this……..

She also seems to be afraid of haircuts, although that’s just my personal guess. The way to her heart is through her favorite kind of fish, Char. Marrying her requires doing lots of sidequests as well, but not from her. Instead, you’ll have to work with her father, Gordon the Priest, who is pretty cool and we’ll probably see those quests regardless of our marriage choices.

Barrett is also interested in Dorothy.

Julia runs the bathhouse, and is interested in all things hygiene and beauty. She’s a little blunt, but she always means well.

Her love points can be raised with gifts, but also through taking baths. Our rival for her affections will be Max.

Mana is kind of the default choice? She works at the General Store, and while she has an entrepreneurial edge, she’s mostly just interested in being helpful. And also selling things. She’s the one who gave Bandan his farm, and will remain important for the remainder of the game, married or not.

Her favorite gifts are Pink Turnips, which are, thankfully, probably the easiest gifts to produce. She really hates Mackerel for some reason. Marrying Mana not only requires taking on all of her sidequests, but winning over her father, the unforgettable Douglas.

Rosalind is the heiress to the Sainte-Coquille fortune, and lives in the mansion with her father and brother. She’s one of the kindest people in town, and mostly uses her money to fuel her scientific exploits. She likes wine and sweet potatoes. She also has blue hair while the rest of her family is blonde, a mystery that will never be explained.

Marrying Rosalind requires a short and odd little sidequest that might actually require me to farm, but not too much, don’t worry. Ray is also pursuing Rosalind’s affections.

Yue is the traveling saleswoman who stocks all kinds of weird and expensive stuff, but she seems to carry everyone’s favorite birthday gift, which suggests either a level of Cheers-esque familiarity with the town or some serious stalking. She also carries an abacus around.

Yue likes a lot of things as gifts, many of them fairly easy to get, but loves Aquamarines the most. She also gives you her own proposal item, which is a bit weird, but I can respect the initiative.

Now that you’ve familiarized yourself with the candidates, we’ll get down to voting. To vote, please post your top choice and a runner-up, and please bold them.. Your first choice gets two points, and the runner-up gets one. You can choose the same person twice if you want, I can handle that. They just get three then.

I’ll announce in an update when the voting’s going to close, and then tally up the points to decide who wins. Feel free to change your vote at any time before I do that, I’ll only take a final tally then. I want to do this semi quickly, because so much of this game’s content is locked behind the marriage.

So, an example of a voting post could be:

Rosalind, Alicia as runner-up.

And that’ll give two points to Rosalind and one to Alicia. I trust you can all probably figure that out, but I just wanted to put that down as my vote. I want Bandan to marry into money.

Happy Voting!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Alicia for her fantastic hat, Yue as runner-up because I can respect an independent businesswoman.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Yue, else Alicia

Gotta hand it to someone who knows exactly what they want and how to get it.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

Marrying Rosalind requires a short and odd little sidequest that might actually require me to farm, but not too much, don’t worry. Ray is also pursuing Rosalind’s affections.
:eyepop:
You had me at marrying into the Sainte-Coquilles, but some actual farming makes her a solid first choice.
Second choice has to be Cecilia, if only to cockblock Jake.
Rosalind first, Cecilia second

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Except for Dorothy there aren't really bad choices, I guess?

Though having you farm is a really interesting proposition, I'm gonna go with Haifisch's vote for Alicia first and Yue as runner-up.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Cecilia first, runner up is Yue

Cecilia to save her from Jake, and Yue because I like her design.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Cecilia, Rosalind is runner-up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Gonna go with Alicia first with Yue as runner up.

• Locked thread