Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

We did, guys! He's farming!

... On the last page :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I'm sure the fortuneteller being the only one other than the elf to actually look like an adult probs helped

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Name the Woolie Boolie

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Since I am an insufferable (your mileage may vary) source of mythology gags, my vote is for a Woolie named Micah. Yes, there's already one of those in a different LP; I don't care, this game doesn't have one and therefore I am seeking to rectify that lack.

Yes, the fact that Rune Factory 3's protagonist has Micah as his default name has everything to do with my vote.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

I second the vote Micah for the woolie.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh, you have to cut grass for your monsters? They won't eat it themselves?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Glazius posted:

What do you think this is, Stardew Valley? Next you'll be asking if you can stack fish. :v:

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Glazius posted:

I mean, thankfully this means you can plant it in caves. But yeah, you do have to cut it, though thankfully it just teleports to the Barn after that.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I saw at least one Donnel in that last update if you're particular about that.

Hail the hat!

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

marshmallow creep posted:

I saw at least one Donnel in that last update if you're particular about that.

Hail the hat!

Whoops. Old habits.

Fixed now, thanks for the catch.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 10: The Second Update In A Row I Can Call Feeding Frenzy

Welcome back to Rune Factory 2. Last time you all voted that Bandan would try to win Alicia’s heart, and I’m not sure there’s any better way to do that than fulfilling her bulletin board requests!

Well, I can think of one better way, actually, getting my fortune told. That’s how you raise Love Points with Alicia. But the bulletin board is more exciting.

: I have another favor to ask of you. I want you to go talk with Ceci.

: Just talk to Cecilia? That’s it?

: Yes. And if you can, try to say something charming. Something to make her feel weak at the knees, you know I mean?

Oh poo poo, Alicia’s voting Cecilia, let me retally the poll.

Cecilia: 25 28

She’s still behind Yue, we’re okay.

: What?! No way!

: Ha ha ha! Oh, come on!

: What kind of favor is this, anyway?

: Well, can you keep a secret?

: Uh, sure, I guess…

This isn’t what Alicia’s Love Fortune actually does. I feel ripped off.

: Oh, I get it…

: And there aren’t that many young men in Alvarna, you see. I just know Barrett and Jake would.refuse to do it. And Max doesn't have the backbone. There's always Ray, but really, this isn't something I'd want to ask my little brother to do.

This is getting less and less complimentary by the sentence.

: Uh, yeah, I mean, I see your dilemma, but…

: Great! Now go talk to Ceci. I’ll even give you a whole 200G if you do it for me.

: Um...Can I ask you one question?

: What is it?

: This...It’s not really fortune-telling anymore if I do this, is it?

: You just don’t understand fortune-telling at all, do you Bandan? It’s all in the results!

i’m only a little sorry. she does kinda have the hair for it.

: Uh, if you say so.

: Okay then. Off with you! I’m counting on you!

Well, let’s go play matchmaker. With...ourselves.

: Well, no, nothing that you can do for me, but...I was wondering if I could talk to you.

: To me? What about?

: Umm… Nothing important. I just thought we should talk about...uhh...stuff.

: Hee hee, I get it. Alicia asked you, didn’t she?

: What?! How’d you know?

: That's what her reading said. I thought it'd be Ray or someone, but I'm surprised to see it's you.

: Sorry if you’re disappointed.

: No, it’s okay. You’re a nice guy, Bandan. Most people would tell Alicia to get lost.

: Ha ha, I do find it hard to say no to her.

: I know what you mean. She’s my friend. And a good person.

: Yeah.

: I’ll be sure to tell her her reading was accurate.

: Thank you.

: Oh, okay! Sure!

Before we report to Alicia, I’ve got to water the tomatoes, and tell everyone about a sleeper powerhouse item.

The Watering Can.

If you charge this thing up, especially against Fire elemental monsters? It’s actually a pretty great damage dealer.

It also comes out really fast!

Alright, anyway.

: Thank you! Now my reading came true! Here’s your reward, as I promised.

Alicia’s not the highest payer.

: Thanks again. If I need anything else, I’ll let you know.

Before the day ends, Bandan's got to get some training in for tomorrow’s big event.

The Goblin Pirate is a bit more capable than the Cluckadoodle. You can see him chopping up a Pomme Pomme at the bottom of the screen there, if you look closely.

The Special Concerto causes it to rush at an enemy, swinging its blades and getting a pretty nice little combo in.

Armed with yet another prize that still won’t be useful for a very long time, and more importantly, some more experience, Bandan’s done with his sacred training.

(levels don’t actually do anything in the Eating Contest, I’m just grinding)

At the bathhouse, it’s time for a helpful reminder.

From an unhelpful person. It’s almost time for the Eating Contest!

By the way, those Daikons we got from Yue ages ago? They were a substantial time investment, but, uh…

Rolling in money.

I proceeded to blow some of it buying Green Peppers. Let’s see if we can’t scope out some of our competition for tomorrow’s festival.

That doesn’t bode well. Well, it wouldn’t if Herman actually competed.

Neither does that.

Douglas seems to think it’s the Drinking Contest so we might have a leg up on him.

This is kind of a weird line, because this isn’t how the Contest works at all. You can’t enter a dish into it, you can just eat.

: Everyone who participates will receive a fabulous prize! And if you win, everyone in the town will like you even more...including whichever fine young lady you've got your eye on! Ha ha ha!

That’s really the ultimate prize of the contest. The material ones are a little...eh. But you’ll get to see that soon.

While off to plant the peppers, Bandan finds his first horrible obstacle. He steps in a poison puddle!

This is our first status effect, Poison. It just does damage over time.

Thankfully, there’s a solution very nearby. These three-leafed plants, Antidote Herbs, will cure poison if you eat them.

Well, new crops are ready, that should be enough for the day.

it’s time

Byron’s never really got too much to say, to be honest.

I hope you like Herman eating jokes, because that’s...basically his whole character.

She’s got a point.

: Hello.

: Hey, what are you giggling about?

: Tee-hee-hee!

: Pretty odd, isn’t she?

: Ha ha ha!

That conversation isn’t holiday exclusive, but it fits in here as well as anywhere else, because I have no idea what it’s supposed to be about.

(Hey, remember Cammy? We haven’t talked to her in seven updates, so if you do, good on you)

To actually start the contest, we’ll need to talk to Herman. Once you’re ready for that, head for town square.

: It’s a chance to show off your gastronomical skills! And if you win, that special someone's opinion of you will no doubt go up! What's more, the winner will receive.a faaaabulous prize! So how about it?

: Don't even bother. I'm competing, so the outcome has already been.decided. There's no way anyone can beat me! I'm the minister, after all! Do the words divine blessing mean anything to you? Ahahahahahaha.

: Hmph. I'll bet your jaws will be so tired from all that boasting that.you'll barely be able to take two bites!

: Oh, don’t worry about me!

Douglas. :allears:

: There’s no way anyone’s gonna top me. I’m gonna win, and that prize is as good as Mana’s. No amount of divine intervention is going to help you, Gordon! Ahahahahaha.

: I like your spunk, kid, but I’m not gonna go easy on ya!

Was there ever any doubt? Let’s show ‘em up.

: Okay, and now for the ruuuuules. When I say “Start!”, press the A Button rapidly as fast as you can until I say “Stop!”. Each time you press the A Button, you'll take a bite. The more bites you take, the more you eat, so the person with the most bites takes the prize! Gooood luck!

The Eating Contest is a pretty simple eating minigame, it’s a button masher. If you’ve played any Mario Party you’ve played this at least, like, five times.

You have only a couple seconds, though, so I hope you’re good at mashing! Or, rather, I wish I was, because this took more attempts than I’d like to admit (Thankfully he’s very close to your house save point).

This is the bare minimum.

For winning. :cool:

: What an unprecedented accomplishment! The victor is...Bandan!!!

I’m so sad this isn’t an equippable “title” like in an MMO or something.

: Your accomplishment will be rewarded with a FORMULA A.

: You beat me, Bandan!

: First off, congratulations! You did well, Bandan. But still, I never imagined that you’d actually beat two serious eaters like us!

: You’re really shaping up to be quite something.

: For sure!

: What does that mean?! Don’t let the fact that you won second prize go to your head there. For a priest, you’re not very humble!

: Is someone a sore loser? Seems like you’re getting pretty girly in your old age there, Douglas.

How Gordon can use “girly” as an insult while living in the same town as Tanya is a mystery for the ages.

: Do you ever shut up?!

: Ahahahahahaha!

Here’s our prize. It only works on a single crop. It’s...not very good. More importantly, we get FP with everyone in town! Not enough for a full level with everybody, but it’s still something.

Most importantly, we impressed our Hat Crush.

In fact, if you chat with them, everyone in town is impressed!

Almost everyone.

I just dumped the Formula on one of the Strawberries. :shrug:

A more pressing issue, even though our monsters are fed, they still aren’t getting any Friendship levels! I may have forgotten a crucial piece of the puzzle.

Let’s get that little hole patched up.

: The author lives in the Sechs Empire. It’s so interesting that someone capable of creating such an amazing work of art could live in such an unproductive country.

On the way, Rosalind drops a reference to the last game and is a little rude. Unproductive? Clearly she didn’t hear about the ONE HUNDRED TANKS.

Alicia is less informative.

Still, though, we have one of her preferred gifts now!

: But if you really want to capture my heart, get your fortune read!

You can boost your bachelorette of choice’s LP with gifts. Unless it’s Alicia. Only fortunes work with Alicia. This still gets us Friendship, though.

Let’s actually do that request I said I would.

: What is it?

: We need an INDIGO GRASS for Herman’s latest delicacy.

: Do you think I could ask you to go get it?

: No problem. You can count on me.

: Thank you, Bandan. It’ll be a great help.

This one is honestly really straightforward. Especially if you know what color “Indigo” is. This was, like, my 99% sure guess.

(oh good I would have looked real dumb)

: Got it right here.

: This will certainly come in handy. I’ll be able to make quite a treat with this, I think.

: You...think?

: I’ve never actually made something with INDIGO GRASS in it before.

: Is that right?

: You know what? I think I’ll pass.

: Oh, well, I’m sorry to hear that.

: Maybe next time, yeah?

: You bet. Here, I want you to have this as a small token of my appreciation.

A pretty lovely reward, but it’s not the real prize from this.

: I’ve got something else for you, Bandan.

Can’t believe I forgot about this. Or, more accurately, thought they rolled it into the Pet Glove.

: Use this on any monsters you catch to help tame them. Don’t be shy about using it, okay?

: Thanks.

: If I ever need anything else, I’ll be sure to put it up on the bulletin board.

The Brush can be used on tamed Monsters to increase their FP.

Like so. You even get little hearts! Ignore Eggs trying to ram her way into the elevator.

That’ll wrap it up for this time, next time we’ll finish up our first season and move into Summer.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Sep 6, 2017

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Gordon and Douglas ruthlessly ragging on each other was pretty great. Gordon is about a million times better than whoever the priest guy in RF1 was.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Mzbundifund posted:

Gordon and Douglas ruthlessly ragging on each other was pretty great. Gordon is about a million times better than whoever the priest guy in RF1 was.

He is also a pretty chill priest. Honestly I'm not sure why he's a priest to begin with, but he's awesome and cool, so it works.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Got another Donnel in there, right after helping Alicia.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
...yeah, you'd figure what with all these seasonal dungeons around there's be some kind of sword festival.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Mzbundifund posted:

His name was "Wesley" and I had to look that up.

Glazius posted:

...yeah, you'd figure what with all these seasonal dungeons around there's be some kind of sword festival.

There kinda is. You do a scavenger hunt that involves fighting. Tanya even competes in it, I guess she's just forgetful.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 11: Special Bulletin: gently caress Jake

Welcome back to Rune Factory 2. Today’s update is going to be, like, 90% Bulletin Board quests, because, to be frank, you’d otherwise just be watching me farm until Summer and get fortunes from Alicia.

Someone we know has a problem.

And it’s Douglas. So clearly, Bandan has to get on this.

The best thing about this quest is that Douglas and Mana are almost always standing literally right next to one another.

: I wrote her a letter to apologize. Think you could give it to her for me?

: (Why don't you just give it to her? Douglas is such a sap when it comes to Mana.)

Bandan’s got a sass kick, but only in his internal monologue, I guess.

: Will you do it for me?

: Sure, no problem.

So, uh, this request is…

It’s…

Doug I don’t know why you didn’t just do this yourself.

: Dad? Lemme read it.

: Sure.

I love that Douglas writes the exact same way he talks.

: What’s it say?

: Ha ha, well, Dad and I had an argument. I guess it got to him. I'd completely forgotten about it.

Let’s be honest, we’ve all had this moment with a family member. I’m usually the Douglas.

: You’ve got a great father.

: Yeah. I think so too. Tell him I’m not mad or anything, will you?

: Okay.

: How’d it go? She...She wasn’t mad or anything, was she?

: No, not at…

: She...She didn’t say she was gonna go elope, did she?

: No, she didn’t say anything about eloping or…

: Oooohh, I knew it! I knew it! You convinced her to run away with you, didn’t you!

: Douglas, please! Calm down!

: You’ll never get my Mana! Not as long as I’m still breathin’! I...I don’t know what I’d do if I ever lost her...

: She said she isn’t mad anymore.

: R-Really? Really? You're...You're not messin' with me or anythin', are ya?

: No, it’s the truth.

I will Never Not Post Happy Douglas.

: (And I thought he was gonna kill me right then… Whew.)

: Here, I want you to have these for helpin’ me out. 100 logs. Make sure you put ‘em to good use.

Even with that whopping sixteen monster Barn already built, Wood is still going to be a handy resource. So, this is nice. Also please picture Douglas handing Bandan 100 individual logs.

Pretty short quest, but it’s not a bad one. Douglas is :allears:.

Second, let’s take on one for Alicia. We’ll be seeing all of her quests, since we’re marrying her and all, so I’m going to start knocking them out.

: I have another favor for you. I want you to ask Barrett who he likes.

: Look, even if I go ask him, I don’t think he’ll tell me anything.

: Just ask him straight. Talk to him man-to-man, and you’ll be fine.

: Right…

: Okay, now, this is the important part. I need you to get him to say that he likes Dorothy.

Bandan actually looks upset at this, which is something you don’t see much out of him.

Alicia is an expert in her field.

: Okay, I’ll go talk to him, and I’ll ask who he likes, but I’m not going to try to change his mind, all right?

: Fine, I guess. Just do your best.

: Thanks, Bandan.

Thankfully I’d already run into Barrett this morning. He can be kinda tough to find, since he doesn’t stay at his own house often.

You could just use Alicia’s fortune, though, and I’m starting to think maybe all of Alicia’s quests are just a fortune racket. Smart move.

: If it’s nothing, then why are you bothering me?

Barrett is pretty lucky Jake is in this game, or else he’d snatch that least-likable crown in a minute.

: No, I, um...Don’t you think we could have an honest conversation, you know, man-to-man?

: Is there something you need to say?

: Um, well, I was just wondering if there was, uh, anyone that you liked.

: What? What do you care who I like?

: Ah, ha ha ha. Why? Um, no reason. I guess I don’t care, really.

: Ha ha ha…

Uh. Quest...complete?

: I don’t feel like talking about that with you. Not right now, at least.

: R-Right.

No matter how many times you talk to Barrett, you won’t get anything else out of him. Time to go back to Alicia, I guess.

: And? Who does he like? Is it Dorothy?

: He wouldn’t say.

Alicia is a complete professional.

: (At least she can look on the bright side of things.)

: Thanks, Bandan. Here’s the reward I promised.

Well, it is a step up. Small step. More of a bump up.

That’s handy, though.

Don’t make it weird, you aren’t even at 5 LP yet.

: You think so?

: I know so. If I need anything else, I’ll let you know.

And we’ll be doing that. Pretty drat often.

Tanya’s missions are always pretty fun. After all that back and forth, it’ll be nice to fight something.

: This one might give you some trouble, but here we go. Take out 10 Goblin Pirates.

Tanya, I’m insulted.

: Keep your wits about you, you hear? Keep your wits about you, you hear? Let your guard down and you’ll d-i-e for sure!

: Ah hah hah hah...ha?

: You know the drill. Come back to me once you have defeated at least 10 Goblin Pirates. Blessia Island is the territory of the Goblin Pirate. Do your best!

I decided to do this whole quest with the Watering Can.

It actually went pretty drat well.

There wasn’t too much to screenshot there. Sorry. (You know, THAT could be the thread title)

: How was it? Tough? If you're having a lot of trouble, maybe you should buy a different weapon! I sell all kinds of fabulous weapons here, you know! You made it back safely, though. Well done! Here’s your reward. 1000G.

Approximately four Alicias of payment.

: Thank you.

: I’ll give you another battle hint now, then.

This is actually pretty handy information, especially if you’re trying to hunt all the different monsters down.

: Even if you’ve been somewhere before, have you been there both in the day time and at night? You might find something new at different times of day. Any time you want to try another challenge, just come on back. Chop your way through those monsters!

Well, that was a full and productive day.

Time to pass out on the steps of the Clinic.

This does mean Bandan can try to impress Alicia with his early morning, post-concussion charm, though. She does live here, I know it’s not very memorable.

I guess that’s the best option, huh?

Well, he did his best.

Now that we’ve done quests for all of our favorite characters, or at least most of them...

:sigh:

Jake works at the forge. I’m not sure why Tanya hired him.

: What, you can’t come talk to me unless you’ve got some agenda? Just like a human.

: Ha ha ha...No, that’s not it at all… Anyway, what do you need?

That had better be a spite-laugh, Bandan.

: I thought I’d give you a chance to prove yourself.

: A chance to prove myself?

: That’s what I just said, isn’t it? Now keep your mouth shut and listen.

: Find it, and bring it back to me. It’s a test to see if you’re really as weak as you look.

: You went all the way there to leave that just as a test?

: Yes. Do you have a problem with that?

: No, I guess not…

This is an assassination attempt, Bandan.

You idiot.

Well, I’m at least going to waste as much time as I can before I do this gently caress’s request.

: I’m really close with everyone in this town. So if you want to make friends, you should try learning from me!

Julia will never actually give us any advice to those ends.

By the way, hey, here’s Jack! He’s watering the fields now! I guess bothering to feed him wasn’’t for nothing after all.

That sounds a little cruel.

So we’re doing Jake’s request at night, both because I can show off the night time monsters now, and I hate him.

The Pomme Pommes, as I think I’ve mentioned before, are replaced with Woolies. They’re pacifists, so there’s no need to worry about fighting them off.

In the second room, the Orc Archers have become another returning RF1 foe, the Ants. They aren’t especially interesting, with only a mild bite attack. It’s really slow and they aren’t too hard to just loop around.

They also go down in a single swing from the Battle Axe.

This is a little gross, Bandan, don’t collect these.

Replacing the Orcs are Spiders. They’re a little bit trickier than the Ants, because they hop around obnoxiously.

Try to catch them coming at you with a quick attack. Fireball works pretty well.

Both of the new enemies are in the final room, as is Jake’s bracelet, because he wanted to make this as much of a pain in the rear end as possible.

Once Bandan gets home, here’s another little annoying thing I don’t remember from RF1. Your material drops don’t all have the same levels...so they take up different slots on the shelf. It’s obnoxious.

We have completed the Douchebag’s Trial.

: I guess you did all right. Well, I’ll let you have your reward anyway.

gently caress you jake

Let’s...not...end on that one.

Alicia, please save my update.

: You know how I tell love fortunes, right? And they always come true, right?

: (No comment.)

If y’all hadn’t voted that Bandan likes Alicia, I wouldn’t have believed it.

: You might not know this, but sometimes fortune-tellers try to read their own fortunes, too.

: Really?

: Of course. And sometimes we even try to read our own love fortunes.

: And...I tried to read my own fortune. My love fortune.

: Right…

: What do you think I saw?

Oh man. Pop quiz. I mean...Alicia likes money?

:iceburn:

Okay, Take Two.

: You get proposed to by a foreign prince.

Does the prince of an Empire have a special title? Also those dudes are real catches. I mean, look at this guy:

And this one:

Just saying.

You do have to cycle through every choice here.

: You know, in a lot of ways, average is the best. It’s just not very thrilling.

: Well, which was it?

: It wasn’t any of those.

: So you mean...You don’t get proposed to by anyone?

: No, I don’t! What’s wrong with me? I thought I was attractive!

Only the hat is good.

:iceburn:

: So why am I getting such a lousy fortune?!

: Listen, Alicia, it’s just a fortune. There’s no guarantee that that’s how things are going to turn out!

Wow, should have stopped at the Jake one.

: What?! How could you say that?! You’re so mean!

: (It looks like I’m just digging myself deeper…)

: Well, maybe you’re right. Maybe my amazing prediction powers don’t work as well when I use them on myself.

I think that’s where we should cut this off. Next time, Summer begins. Uh, for real this time.

New Monsters

Ant
Spider

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Do Ants in this still paralyze you on their attacks or is that only in RF 1 and 3? It seems weird to leave it out of 2, but... RF2's done weird things before.

Also, goddamn, Kyle Donnel Bandan. Smooth as loving butter. :cripes:

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

KataraniSword posted:

Do Ants in this still paralyze you on their attacks or is that only in RF 1 and 3? It seems weird to leave it out of 2, but... RF2's done weird things before.

Also, goddamn, Kyle Donnel Bandan. Smooth as loving butter. :cripes:

I didn't get hit, so I didn't get a chance to find out! Ants are chumps! I'm going to go back and do it to check, I was suspecting the Spiders might as well, or inflict Poison.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

LordHippoman posted:

Update 11: Special Bulletin: gently caress Jake

From the little I remember of the game, I distinctly remember his voice in particular sounding like someone pinching their nose while they're talking. Another reason to hate him, really :colbert:

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

BlackPersona posted:

From the little I remember of the game, I distinctly remember his voice in particular sounding like someone pinching their nose while they're talking. Another reason to hate him, really :colbert:

Right, his voice is nasaly and stuff.

"What is it human"

Annoying to listen to.

By the way. Some more things I remembered. Nearly all of the townspeople, the bachelorettes and normal townsfolk all give you 100 pieces of wood in their quests. Even if you weren't doing requests or going after someone, you should do these requests till you get the wood.

Cecilia already gave us wood though, pretty early.

And Alicia and Douglas have as well.

Helps in the quest of gathering wood.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Can we toss Jake into the forge?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
What's the point? He's already a tool.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

BlackPersona posted:

Pretty much all of the voice acting in this game is awful (all the children sound like middle aged people talking an octave higher), but since it's mostly in one word bursts it never really gets to Resident Evil/Last Alert levels of goofiness. So I don't feel too bad about not being able to show it off.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

I like Cecilia's voice.

And Douglas and Gordan's voice.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I remember hearing that they had gotten so many complaints about the awful voice acting in 2 they had stepped it up for 3 and 4 by getting actual professionals

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I would think that clothes that look like they'd practically be falling off of dames might be a mite popular but then again, in animé world everyone might be completely desensitized to that sorta thang

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I wonder how many of these quests are just shills? Tanya talked her shop up pretty hard asking us to go kill goblin pirates.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Glazius posted:

I wonder how many of these quests are just shills? Tanya talked her shop up pretty hard asking us to go kill goblin pirates.

Tanya has no concern for money or earthly possessions, unless she can weaponize them.

She only wants to rejoice in the glory of combat.

This is entirely okay.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
All caught up and it looks like my preferred bachelorette won! :allears:

I started the series with 3, so this is all pretty interesting.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Leraika posted:

All caught up and it looks like my preferred bachelorette won! :allears:

I started the series with 3, so this is all pretty interesting.

She won by a mile. I can't complain, she's my second favorite as well. Her requests aren't too involved, but they're usually pretty funny.

The next update might be a little delayed, I'm taking a bit of an LP break to focus on my real life commitments and obligations haha cook serve delicious 2 came out and Tales of Berseria is finally less than 30 bucks, see you later, farm hell.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

LordHippoman posted:

cook serve delicious 2 came out

You gotta get fresh ingredients for those restaurants eventually, farm boy. :v:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

LordHippoman posted:

She won by a mile. I can't complain, she's my second favorite as well. Her requests aren't too involved, but they're usually pretty funny.

The next update might be a little delayed, I'm taking a bit of an LP break to focus on my real life commitments and obligations haha cook serve delicious 2 came out and Tales of Berseria is finally less than 30 bucks, see you later, farm hell.

When she stormed into Rosalind's house to basically go gently caress RICH PEOPLE, she won my heart.

Thank you again for playing this so no one else has to.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 12: Summertime and Sneaking Missions

Well, welcome back. It seems we’ve caught Bandan in the middle of brushing Eggs, and getting a level in it. Somehow, yes, this does count as a stat, Communication.

We’ve got a holiday coming up, so I’m going to spend the first part of the update showing off some stuff I usually do offscreen.

Like chopping any branches or stumps I come across. That’s going to be important in the future, when Wood becomes Very Relevant.

I went with the regrowing crops wherever possible, like Strawberries, Sweet Potatoes, and Tomatoes, so I have a pretty consistent cash flow coming in. Again, important later. I’ve already collected most of the items worth buying until we get married and the second half of the game starts.

I’m also getting a fortune from Alicia every day, to pump up her LP.

Since we’ve got so much Barn space, I decided to grab some new monsters.

I liked this Pomme Pomme name from Randalor. Also, apparently the character limit on monsters is five? Even though it’s six for the main character. I dunno, but I’m going to update the OP while I’m drafting this.

Our next target only appears at night. For RF2 purposes, by the way, “night” is 6:00 PM or later.

Also, it turns out sometimes if you pet Woolies they aren’t so pacifistic. Ow.

Here’s another Randalor name! This wasn’t even on purpose! Shoutout to CptWedgie for Micah, though, it was close and I flipped a coin.

So, since you so rarely get to 6:00 PM in RF2 without...pretty much doing everything you’d probably want to do in a day, I’m going to take advantage of this opportunity to show off the other nighttime monsters on Blessia Island.

It’s a Scorpion! Scorpions flip out with their tails and try to kick your rear end.

Most dangerously, they can poison you. So on-hit status effects do exist in this game. Thankfully there’s a little field with Antidote Herbs right there.

In the other room gently caress.

It’s these guys again. They look less terrifying in this game, thankfully. This is the Shadow Panther, and it just kinda...slowly walks at you and tries to punch you. Still not a huge deal.

Also, those are the only two types of monsters around now! I mean, before it was just two kinds of Goblin, so it’s understandable.

Welp, let’s go home, then.

The whole town basically shuts down at 6:00 PM, by the way. Everyone kinda retreats into their homes. There’s also no bar or anything, unlike in Kardia.

Alicia’s still awake, though.

: You know that Max, over at Herman’s place? I wonder if he likes anyone right now.

: I have no idea.

It’s like I don’t even know her anymore.

Huh. Only the top three rows got watered. I guess Jack’s slacking off.

We can learn about D’Ter’s terrible disguise.

As well as Booly’s greatest fear.

We also now have a reason to use the elevator! I’m not sure if it makes more or less sense to me that all the additional floors are underground.

And we’re up to six different monsters.

In town, everyone’s talking about how tomorrow is the First Day of Summer, which I capitalized like that because it’s our next holiday!

You cannot actually swim in this game. Nobody does.

Wow, this is like the first non-douchey thing Jake has said.

Dammit, so close.

I did a deep Google dive into some fitness forums to confirm, 14% is pretty drat buff, apparently. I’m not sure how Max did that, because he doesn’t do anything.

Roy loves Summer! I’m totally not only including this screenshot because I always forget about Roy!

And sadly, because Yue is sold out, there will be no costume changes for Bandan in this game. You’ll have to play RF3 if you want to do that.

But hey, today’s the big day!

And, as with any big day, Mana, Alicia, and Cecilia are just kinda loitering outside Bandan’s house.

Alicia is a professional.

I feel like Jake is slowly developing into like, some kind of sitcom nemesis for this game. He’s like Newman but racist.

: I won’t. But it’s fun to play in the sea, don’t you think? Can you swim, Jake?

: Of course I can swim. I’m an elf.

: (Is he saying that all elves can swim?)

This important Lore tidbit will never be touched on again, I think.

Herman doesn’t start today’s festival, but he is, at least, apparently more active than Jasper.

Maybe Byron does.

: Ah, Bandan. It’s been hot every day recently, hasn’t it! How are you holding up under this heat?

Well, the truth is, there’s no event for the First Day of Summer. You can just kinda...talk to people. It’s not exactly an exciting holiday, but hey, they can’t all be winners. The summer scenery in town looks nice, at least.

With the way Bandan’s laughs are written, it always looks like he’s just giving people pity laughs.

: Wellll, if I were going in, I’d have to cover myself in sunscreen, so I don’t really think I want to.

Well, there’s really nothing left to do on this Holiday, and I’d like to get some Bulletin Board quests in, so it’s time to sleep.

Alright, back to business. Rosalind has a pretty easy quest for us.

I had to check with Alicia to find her, because I forgot she just loiters on this bridge sometimes.

: You’re a lifesaver. This is kind of embarrassing, .so I ask that you please don't.tell anyone else.

Look at Serious Bandan here.

: Can you get a little bit closer to me, Bandan?

: Huh? L-L-Like this?

: Like that. I'm going to speak quietly,.so listen carefully.

: Okay…

: Are you alright?

: Y-Yup. (Her breath is really tickling my ear…)

: I want you to give Byron this secret message for me. No matter what happens, remember to be discreet. I'm not sure, but Barrett might be there too. This goes without saying, but make sure he doesn't notice you either. I've prepared a reward of 6000G for you if you do this for me.

What kind of secret society madness is Rosalind dragging us into?

Well, I’m going to take this entirely seriously.

Can’t open the letter in the menu, don’t worry, I tried. Alright, now seriously.

Oh poo poo, it’s Barrett.

I took the long way around to avoid him. So far, so good.

And we’ve arrived safely at our destination. Mission Complete.

: ...I see, I see. She's got a plan, from the look of it.Thanks for this, Bandan. Tell the sender I understand.

: Hmmm...that’s a relief. Thank you so much, Bandan. Well done. Please accept your reward.

...I’m not entirely sure if we should spend this.

: I’m also going to give you 100 pieces of wood on top of that. Ah! And...

We are now the Big Bandan.

Well, that’s enough high-stakes action for one update. Let’s go have a sleepover with Cecilia.

: Umm...well...I was wondering if you wouldn't mind spending the night at my house?

I’m sure ol’ cool, calm and collected Bandan will handle this request with all his trademark elegance.

thanks buddy

Even Donnel was better at social situations than this, and he brought a Bee to his first date.

: We haven’t had very many guests this month, and Egan seems a little worried. Since I'm lodging there, I figured I should try and help bring in business any way I can.

: No problem.

: Thank you, Bandan. It’ll be a real big help. Whenever you want to stay, just go talk to Egan.

I mean, she has a point. I don’t think I’ve stepped in the Inn since the initial “town exploring” update. Who even remembers Egan?

: Huh? Um, yes, we have rooms available, but…

: Okay, then I’d like to stay tonight. How much will it be?

: It’s 100G, but...Bandan, don’t you have your own house?

: Yeah, well, Cecilia asked me to do her a favor.

: Ah, that makes sense. That sounds like something she would do.

She didn’t really say, like, half of that.

: Taking care of her...Really, she came all the way from Kardia to stay here and help me out. If anyone’s being taken care of, it’s me. My son Jake might not show it, but deep down he’s really happy that Ceci’s here too.

I’m glad the Hat Elves are friends.

: Ah, really?

: She’s a really special girl.

: She is, isn’t she? So, can I stay here tonight?

(He can’t even give us a discount? C’mon.)

And, uh, that ends the day.

Well, there’s a special advantage to being in here early.

We can bother Jake earlier than ever before! :smuggo:

This is a...weird sentence, Jake. Bull Horns are one of his liked gifts, but this kinda comes out of nowhere. At least the script seems to be mostly in order this time around.

: You really are a nice guy, Bandan. It’s great knowing someone like you.

And that’s the end of that quest. Cecilia doesn’t give you any reward, but it’s not like it was too hard.

Well, after Bandan spent the night at another woman’s house, he should probably go do a quest for his actual hopeful bride-to-be, before he makes it any weirder.

: I have another fortune-telling job for you!.

: You want me to talk to someone again?

He sounds so disappointed.

I JUST SAID NOT TO MAKE IT ANY WEIRDER.

: A date? Wh-Why? I can’t do that!

: You don’t like her?

: It’s not that I don’t like her, but…

: Then there’s no problem! It seems to me like she’s got quite the thing for you, too.

Alicia Is A Professional.

: R-Really?

: So what are you waiting for? Go and ask her out! She’s in Cherry Blossom Square.

: O-okay.

: Good luck!

Well, Mana’s right where we met her the first time. She’s not too tough to find.

This is definitely gonna go smoothly.

: Me too...I mean...you know.

: Yeah…

: Okay…

: L-Look...

: Yes…?

: I’m...I’m sorry, okay.

: What are you apologizing for?

: It was actually Alicia who asked me to come here.

: I see. So you don’t actually want to be here, Bandan?

: N-No, that's not what I mean. Alicia may have asked me to come here, but that doesn't mean I didn't want to anyway.

: Oh, really?

: Yeah. I mean, when I heard you were here, I definitely wanted to come here. This is where we first met, after all.

For once, Bandan is not the one contributing nothing to this conversation.

: I really like this place now. It means a lot to me.

: I’m glad.

: Sorry today was a little weird. But I wouldn't feel right going on a date with you just because Alicia asked me to.

: Don’t worry about it. I forgive you.

: Phew. Thanks!

: But in exchange, you have to promise to take me on a proper date!

: A date?! Well, okay. I think I can manage that.

(we won’t do that)

: Well, I should get going.

: Okay! See you!

Even the side characters get parentheticals now.

: She saw through it.

: She did? So you weren’t a good enough actor to pull it off, Bandan?

: I just don’t think you can force a love prophecy like this.

: I see...Well, there’s no helping it now. Since I’m so generous, I’ll still pay you, of course.

This is like, 10-20 Alicia prophecies. I think her racket is working.

So will I.

Regarding an LP. Or at least an update. This one’s done now.

Bye.

New Monsters
Scorpion
Shadow Panther

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Yay we have a pomme pomme now!

Jake is starting to like you a little more. Instead of just annoying us, he's telling us his liked gift and annoying us! Maybe at like 10 friendship he'll use our name.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

LordHippoman posted:

: I’m glad of it.

ftfy

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's hard to be a fortuneteller. You have to carry the weight of everyone's hopes.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Blademaster_Aio posted:

Yay we have a pomme pomme now!

Jake is starting to like you a little more. Instead of just annoying us, he's telling us his liked gift and annoying us! Maybe at like 10 friendship he'll use our name.

Jake doesn't deserve that.

:colbert:

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Can we place Ron Swanson's face over Jake's?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

LordHippoman posted:

Jake doesn't deserve that.

:colbert:

Of course he doesn't.

We're going after Alicia but might as well say it.

If you do all of the girl's events, and have her at 10FP, but don't get married to her, you can steal her away on her wedding day.

...well, I don't know if you have to do all the events because some events end with you getting married. But this is a thing. And Gordon is just okay with it.

Should I put this in spoilers? But I'm not spoiling anything because we're gonna marry Alicia.

So you can steal Jake's bride on his wedding day if you really want to be mean.

The town will like you eventually if you just talk to them. If you don't want to talk to them, you can just talk to them on festivals. Not that Jake deserves any of our time or attention.

• Locked thread