Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Blademaster_Aio posted:

We're going after Alicia but might as well say it.

Potential LP Thing that may or may not happen Spoilers:

I am considering doing that in a separate save file as a joke/bonus update. I know the scene exists for the bachelorettes who do get married, and I'll probably be able to get it at least for Cecilia and Rosalind. Rosalind does take, like, forever though, and I imagine everyone would rather see us ruin Jake's day than Ray's. So that may show up, it depends how Done With Rune Factory Two I am by that point.

You don't need to spoiler it or anything, it's fine, but I'm considering it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Please do this! :getin:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Do it. That sounds deliciously evil. :unsmigghh:

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I could see the voting having turned out differently if we knew this was possible :allears:

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

theshim posted:

I could see the voting having turned out differently if we knew this was possible :allears:

I wanted to run an unbiased contest where we didn't discriminate based on how great it would be to completely ruin one man's day.

(I also didn't know you could do it until after the contest was posted whoops)

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011

Seconding that this must be done. I sadly was too busy reading the first LP to participate in the vote, but seriously screw Jake.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 13: Adventures In Biology

Welcome back to Rune Factory 2, where we evidently live in the oasis of a war-torn hellscape?

: I don’t have enough lives to do business in places filled with gunfire. Lately, I’ve been staying inside Norad Kingdom, where it’s safer.

You are more than welcome to picture Yue on the battlefield, cutting down hundreds of Sechs Empire goons on her way to sell somebody a packet of Yam Seeds.

Rune Factory Warriors, when?

Yue’s erratic assortment of items actually does have a theme. It consists of every villager’s favorite birthday gift. Since giving Alicia gifts doesn’t actually really do anything, I got this Aquamarine Brooch for Cecilia to show that off. Bandan’s not committed yet, I guess.

Upon returning to my farm, I found out that you can use the sickle to clear area really quickly. This doesn’t work on Logs/Rocks, and it destroys the items, but we’ll never really be at a loss for more Medical Herbs.

Don’t get too excited with it, though. R.I.P. a single Tomato on Blessia Island.

Also worth mentioning, wow, monster happiness takes approximately forever to raise in this game.

Today’s first request sees Bandan delving deeper into the shadows of the Sainte-Coquille family’s shady business, after we helped Rosalind order a hit or something last time.

: Yeah. That's right. Is something bothering you?

: Uh, no…

: Ok. Then let me explain. Bandan, you head towards Trieste Forest-Aegis Falls and when you get there, defeat an Orc Archer and bring back ARROWHEAD as your booty. So? An easy task, don’t you think?

I’ve got like three of those in the cupboard.

: The payback is big! It’s 6000. As I said, this is a secret mission. Don’t blab about it to anyone else! Just get in and get the item quietly. Got it? Good. I’m counting on you!

Max doesn’t seem to have the talent for subterfuge that his sister does.

Unfortunately, Bandan seems to lack the talent for magic. That fireball was supposed to hit the Orc Archer.

It worked out eventually, but clearly this hole in Bandan’s offenses will need to be patched at some point.

I don’t really need to say anything about how easy these requests are at this point. Thankfully the monster item drop rates are MASSIVELY increased in this game, compared to RF1, where that probably would have taken me 10-20 minutes of Orc Archer grinding.

: This is the ARROWHEAD? Ah, excellent. This will definitely prove that I defeated a monster.

I feel bad for him, Max doesn’t seem too bad. I wonder if Jake also sent him into a deathtrap for jewelry recovery.

: Oh, um...Well, um…

: Oh, You’re still here?

I might be biased because hot dang that’s a payout.

That’s all for this secret mission, but let’s see what Max has to chat about today.

: Why do you like that?

: I can’t say why out loud. If you want to know, lend me your ear.

(He’s so excited)

I don’t know what Max’s deal is, thread.

I found one of these on my way here though, so:

: Really? Thanks!

There’s a nice FP bump to be had there, and I can’t do anything with those for...quite a while, anyway.

After that embarrassing display of poor Fireballing, I think we’ll need to consult War Mom on how to proceed.

Enter the Rod! Now Bandan’s a Wizard!

The Rod is an interesting weapon type. It boosts the damage of spells, which, for a long time, is...only Fireball, but that’s still handy.

The melee attack is...lacking, however. No combos, just a bop.

If you charge it up, you can get a Master Sword style crescent beam, though. It is one-handed, so you can have a shield equipped alongside it.

If you want to grind some Magic in this first part of the game, the Orc Vikings are weak to fire. With the rod equipped, we’re doing some gross damage.

Well, we are with the actual spell.

So the big problem with magic in this game is that once you’re out of RP, you can’t cast. It’s still miles better than it was in the first game.

And once you’re out of spells, there’s nothing to do but fish.

bonerjoke.txt

All that (offscreen) fishing has pushed us past 3:00 PM, which is an optimal time for Julia requests. Let’s see what she wants.

Also, always good to have our villager friends barf up their preferences at us.

Well, doing this first, then work.

Alright, let’s go.

: Anyhow, if you’re wondering what I need you to do, have a look at this.

: Isn’t this...just a plain old sword?

: Tanya left it here. Isn’t this a little dangerous to just leave lying around?

: Hah. It’s probably less dangerous lying around than it is in Tanya’s hands!

Everything we learn about Tanya is magical. :allears:

: Anyway, I’d be grateful if you could return the sword to Tanya for me.

: Hmmm…

: Thanks! You’re so kind!

: You’re a great guy, Bandan. (And so cute, too!)

: Hm? Did you say something just now?

: Huh, oh, no! Don’t mind me at all! See you later, Bandan.

Julia is sending us on this quest across the world’s tiniest bridge.

Somehow, I survived.

: Ah! I forgot it at Julia’s bathhouse! I’ve been looking all over for it. I was starting to think I’d lost it for good!

: I see. Well, here you go.

: I'm sorry. The more precious something is to me, the easier it seems to be to forget where I left it!

Maybe this is why we never seem to see Tanya’s son.

: Still, I would have thought a sword.would be pretty hard to forget…

I’ll remind you that the bath opens at 3:00 PM.

: I’m glad you found it, anyway. Thank you, Bandan. And thank Julia for me, too.

: It was no problem. I’ll let Julia know, too.

Here’s one of those places where it seems like they should have done a second editing pass. Unless Tanya’s Sword is just called “THE Tanya’s Sword”, which is actually way better and that’s thread-canon now.

: Yeah, she really missed it. She told me to thank you for her.

: Tee-hee! That’s nice! I’m always such a bother, Bandan. Thank you for taking the time to help me out.

: Don’t worry about it. If you ever have any more trouble, just let me know.

: I will. You’re so great, Bandan. Thank you, and here’s a little token of my appreciation.

Huh. Not bad.

: Thank you.

Okay, so the gift hints aren’t exactly subtle in this game, but to be fair, would you want them to be?

: Okay, see you later!

That’s enough of Julia for now. Let’s check in with someone else before we round this update off.

Rosalind’s quests seem popular. They also pay well.

: This might be an odd question, but do you have a hard time taking medicine?

: Medicine? Um, no, I'm fine with it for the most part.

: Excellent! Okay, here’s what I need you to do…

Everything is shady with you, Ros.

: Huh?! You mean you want me to be a test subject? That’s what you mean by “Research Assistant”?

: Yep! So, are you ready to help advance our scientific knowledge?

: Uhhhh…

: I see... What a shame. I guess I'll just have to give up. Ahh... If I could only test this.medicine and get some confirmation of its effects… It would be such a big help to all those people that are struggling with colds.

Rosalind used GUILT TRIP

It was super effective!

: Okay, I’ll do it! I’ll test it out for you, Rosalind, and you can see if it works.

: R-R-Really?! Thank you so much! Well, to test this cold medicine, the test subject must have what is commonly known as a "cold." In other words, I need you to get sick! So, first things first, please go catch a cold! I’ve prepared 8000G as a reward this time. Okay, thanks in advance.

This request apparently trips a lot of people up because it’s hard to get a cold on accident. Thankfully, if you talk to Rosalind...

She pretty much spells it out for you.

So, basically, days in Rune Factory go from 6:00 AM to 5:00AM.

We need to stay up until 5:00 AM, two nights in a row. This is...time consuming and dull, you’ll rarely have a day you even have enough things you want to do in that you take until 5:00 AM to sleep.

For reference, every minute in RF2 is a second of real life time. So a whole day is 23 minutes, with time paused while you’re in buildings or conversations.

This does let me show off a nice touch in the game, though, there are fireflies out at night in the summer!

As soon as that clock hits 5:00 AM, Bandan stretches…

And you’re forcibly teleported home, five hours later.

If you look under the RP bar, you can see that Bandan is Tired, so my RP is already cut into, and it depletes faster. This is still not a Cold, though!

I think this is our first rainy day too. The crops are already watered, so I don’t have to worry about that.

Alicia doesn’t come out to her usual spot on rainy days.

And, although the rain effect doesn’t display in dungeons, the crops are already watered.

This even goes for ones in caves, like Padlova Mountains.

And...that’s….all I had to do that day. So...uh…

I hopped on my computer and played Cook Serve Delicious 2! This should pass the time.

Lasagna is the devil’s order. PSCR is going to get burned into your brain SO FAST if you pick this up.

:smuggo:

Anyway, uh, Rune Factory?

Alright, we’re done here.

Snowflake under the RP bar? That’s a Cold, alright!

I don’t know what it does! I couldn’t find it anywhere online, either! Your guess is as good as mine! Unless you know, in which case it’s probably better and you should also tell me.

Back to Rosalind!

: First I’m going to take your temperature. I’m going to touch your forehead, okay?

: Um...okay.

Maybe she’s a ghost. I hear that works out well with protagonists in these games.

: Hm. It looks like you’ve got a bit of a temperature. And you're shivering a bit...Like a scared little animal...Plus your nose is all red. I would say that you have successfully caught a cold! It's quite a good one, too...I really have to give you credit for this, Bandan. You've gone above and beyond the call of duty!

Huh. I guess Rosalind just cured the common cold? That was easy.

: I did it! You look like you’re feeling 100% better, Bandan. I’ll bet this new medicine will be a hit for sure! Thank you so much. I would have never been able to do this without your cooperation. Really, the world of medical science is in your debt. Please, take this. You deserve it.

Not bad at all.

: Also, Bandan?

: What is it?

: I was wondering if maybe you could come by to see me on a regular basis?

: Huh?! S-Side effects???

: Oh, don’t be silly. I’m reasonably certain that there’s nothing to worry about.

Well, next time we’ll have a festival, providing Bandan isn’t paralyzed for life now! Thanks for reading.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
If sitcoms have taught me anything it's the any old joe can cure the common cold but it comes with side effects, like irrepressible mustaches or blue skin.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

We're following in Alicia's footsteps. We go where the money is.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Glazius posted:

If sitcoms have taught me anything it's the any old joe can cure the common cold but it comes with side effects, like irrepressible mustaches or blue skin.

Either of these things are a benefit on Bandan's current appearance.

Blademaster_Aio posted:

We're following in Alicia's footsteps. We go where the money is.

:capitalism:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Bandan didn't even faint/get mind controlled/turn into a sheep after taking that medicine. Is Rosalind even trying to be a mad scientist? :colbert:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Still not convinced she's actually making psychotropic drugs that just makes you think you're over your cold, while also making you trip balls. Her entire family is shady as gently caress after all. And is Max the same-sex relationship option in a different version of this game? I'm getting that vibe from the way he's written.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

You know, if you really wanted to grind skills, there's an even easier option:
Iirc the game doesn't check if whatever you're doing actually does anything. So a fireball that misses still gives you fire magic experience.
As a result, what you can do is plant a full field, wait until it's fully grown and never harvest it. That way each 3x3 square will produce a rune every day. Then you go into your house (since that stops the clock from ticking) and start using the tool/spell you want to grind into you've used up your rp.
Go outside, grab some runes and repeat.

Also: if Rosalind's quest was already too shady for you, be glad you're not playing rf3. :getin:

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Randalor posted:

Still not convinced she's actually making psychotropic drugs that just makes you think you're over your cold, while also making you trip balls. Her entire family is shady as gently caress after all. And is Max the same-sex relationship option in a different version of this game? I'm getting that vibe from the way he's written.

Sadly there's no same-sex option in any of the game, hell it took until 4 to get the option to play a heterosexual girl and far as I'm aware there's no sign of a future RF game.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Haifisch posted:

Bandan didn't even faint/get mind controlled/turn into a sheep after taking that medicine. Is Rosalind even trying to be a mad scientist? :colbert:

We can't all know people with revolver syringes, Haifisch.

sheep-dodger posted:

You know, if you really wanted to grind skills, there's an even easier option:

Oh, that was entirely a BS excuse for me to be doing something different in this update. Pre-marriage RF2 is kind of a blood-from-a-stone situation from an LP standpoint.

Sneaky Edit: Next festival doesn't seem to work super well, so I'm going to do some dumb poo poo next update, fair warning.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 1, 2017

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 13.13: The Canonical Death Of Bandan

WARNING: This is a CURSED UPDATE, reading this installment of LET’S PLAY RUNE FACTORY 2 will HAUNT YOUR DEVICE. The events within are NON-CANON. One of the images contains a REAL GHOST.

Welcome back to Rune Factory 2, where nobody likes Bandan yet.

This was the result of Alicia’s “Love Fortune”, if that wasn’t too obvious.

Right, then, we’ve got the Monster Taming Festival coming up, so I’m not going to get tied up in any requests quite yet. I mostly ran around doing miscellaneous chores, and unfortunately noticing a lack of...wood.

It does repopulate on untilled tiles, but we’ll be needing a big chunk of it sooner or later. And hopefully that doesn’t take forever.

I also ran into this little issue while planting in Trieste Forest. These poison tiles won’t go away without the Neutral Agent.

Thankfully, they’re super cheap at 200 a bottle from Natalie. We haven’t seen too much of the Clinic in this game, but I promise, it’s not too interesting.

It...really is.

Fireballs make quick work of the Pomme Pomme’s out front here. That’s something I’m getting used to doing, with the amount of crops I have in this dungeon now.

There were also some poison tiles in here. There aren’t now! (also nice, a stump)

Next up, let’s start training for the Monster Taming Festival.

Oh no Bandan, that’s not the Pet Glove!

He probably just needs some rest.

And just in time, too, it’s Summer 7th, the day of the contest!

Byron’s loitering again.

: It's the Monster Taming Contest today. So then...I wonder who will win this year. I can't wait to find out! If you are going to take part, then aim to win, okay?

Nobody really has much interesting to say about this one, sadly.

Except Tanya.

Tanya’s still good.

: I think...the key to this tournament is to get along well with your monsters, not rule them by fear.

: Oh, really…?

Ray can’t remember any of our assorted cast of monster friends, but it’s okay because you probably don’t remember Ray.

Herman’s by the fountain, like usual for these festivals. Let’s see what’s going on with the competition.

Tell that to my cow, sheep, and pirate.

Max is much more cordial.

: And if you win, that special someone's opinion of you will no doubt go up! What's more, the winner will receive a faaaabulous prize! So how about it?!

: As the heir to the de Sainte-Coquille fortune, I’m going to give it a shot too. But this competition is a little bit...out of the ordinary, shall we say? So, Jake!

: Looks like you’re competing too.

: Well duh. Even the fiercest monsters don’t trip me up. I'm strong enough to take on anything out there. Catching monsters? Hah, piece of cake.

I think this is the first time we’ve seen Jake’s happy portrait. Gotta include it, then. :sigh:

: So you think you’re that good, hmm?

:iceburn:

I think Max is our best friend now?

: Well, regardless of how you behave, this IS a competition. And a competition is about besting each other. To the victor goes the spoils.

: Hmph, exactly.

: Well, Bandan, let’s both try as hard as we can to defeat Jake!

With a request like that, I’m not sure how I can say no. Not that I would, anyway.

The description for this one is a little weird, so hold tight and I’ll summarize after this.

: The Monster Taming Contest is a competition that tests how quickly.you can befriend a specific monster. For this year's contest, you'll be heading to Trieste Forest-Spring Clearing. Tame a monster there and then please come back here. The person who befriends a monster in the quickest time will be the winner.

So, we need to run to Trieste Forest, befriend a Pomme-Pomme, ASAP, and then come back to Herman. Seems simple enough.

The following screenshots will be in dual-screen format so you can see the clock bullshit that occurs.

Making a beeline for Trieste Forest doesn’t take much time at all.

Only three pets to befriend one of these.

And here’s where I lose track of things. 47? 47 what? It took me 13 in-game minutes, which is 13 real-time seconds, and I certainly didn’t spend 34 on the naming screen, I called it “a”. No matter how many times I retried the festival after reloading, I always ended up with a time around here, and I’m not sure how it happened.

I’m not sure if the game’s a bit buggy, or I’m just missing something, but unfortunately, this just wasn’t feasible for me. Maybe there’s hope, though.

EDIT: Wayne figured it out, and it's...uh...wow:

"Notice how Hippo took 13 in-game minutes, but Bandan thinks he took 47? 60 - 47 = 13. I don't remember whether the game subtracts your start time from your end time and sets it to 0 (that is, 00, which is 60) if it's negative, or if it just subtracts from the end of the hour and rolls over if you go into the next hour, but either way you want to start at about the :30 to :40 minute mark and turn it in before the next hour. "

Welcome to the Worst Timeline.

First Place is allegedly a Formula B. I’d almost argue the Tomato is better.

...Small victories?

I hate this portrait.

: It just goes to show you that humans are inferior to elves!

: *sigh* Jake, I concede that you are a worthy opponent, and the superior monster tamer. For this year, at least…

: That’s right! How about that, Bandan?!

: Wow. Jake, guess I was no match for you.

: (Hmph. You may be an elf, Jake, but you’ve got all the class and manners of an ogre.)

: Huh? What’d you say?

: Me? Oh, it was nothing.

Well, that sucks, but Bandan’s a good sport.

See you next time.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 3, 2017

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Shouldve waited until the friday after next :colbert:

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Got a broken image code of Bandan's face in there when you're talking to Tanya.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

If Jake wasn't such a racist jerk, his happy face would actually be cute.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Robindaybird posted:

If Jake wasn't such a racist jerk, his happy face would actually be cute.

Shame about the resting douche face.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
So, let's just marry Max instead. I don't see any downsides.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Is "tame monsters faster" something you can actually level up? Maybe they wanted you to do it in one pet.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Omnicrom posted:

Got a broken image code of Bandan's face in there when you're talking to Tanya.

Whoops, always seems to be at least one. Thanks.

Glazius posted:

Is "tame monsters faster" something you can actually level up? Maybe they wanted you to do it in one pet.

Communication might effect it? Either way, the taming only takes about 4-5 seconds, I don't know how big of an impact it would have. I will be trying this again once it rolls around next year though.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Could be an emulator issue? Like, it counting from a far faster CPU or something?

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself
Nope, it's just a horribly coded minigame. Notice how Hippo took 13 in-game minutes, but Bandan thinks he took 47? 60 - 47 = 13. I don't remember whether the game subtracts your start time from your end time and sets it to 0 (that is, 00, which is 60) if it's negative, or if it just subtracts from the end of the hour and rolls over if you go into the next hour, but either way you want to start at about the :30 to :40 minute mark and turn it in before the next hour.

Going back a bit, I had no idea about the "swipe the girl at the altar" thing! I wonder who found that out first, I can't imagine playing RF2 for 2 in-game years or whatever the heck. :v:

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Wayne posted:

Nope, it's just a horribly coded minigame. Notice how Hippo took 13 in-game minutes, but Bandan thinks he took 47? 60 - 47 = 13. I don't remember whether the game subtracts your start time from your end time and sets it to 0 (that is, 00, which is 60) if it's negative, or if it just subtracts from the end of the hour and rolls over if you go into the next hour, but either way you want to start at about the :30 to :40 minute mark and turn it in before the next hour.

:magical: :magical: :magical:

Do you mind if I add this to the update? This is like, the goofiest bug and I kinda can't believe it exists, but on the other hand it is a very Rune Factory Two thing.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

I cannot believe I missed Max's burns

How did I miss this

The class and mannes of an ogre

So good

But actually it's because I always just reset if I lose:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

LordHippoman posted:

Update 13.13: The Canonical Death Of Bandan

: So you think you’re that good, hmm?

:iceburn:

I think Max is our best friend now?

Yes

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Is it too late to change our marriage candidate to Max?

Wayne posted:

Going back a bit, I had no idea about the "swipe the girl at the altar" thing! I wonder who found that out first, I can't imagine playing RF2 for 2 in-game years or whatever the heck. :v:

Hahaha, holy poo poo.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Oct 3, 2017

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

LordHippoman posted:

:magical: :magical: :magical:

Do you mind if I add this to the update? This is like, the goofiest bug and I kinda can't believe it exists, but on the other hand it is a very Rune Factory Two thing.

:D Go right ahead. And yeah, RF2 is chockablock with poorly- or at least dodgily-implemented ideas, but that's the pinnacle.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Is it too late to change our marriage candidate to Max?

No bros or moms, only animes. :(

At least we're not going after his sister or his girlfriend, that's gotta count for something.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
In my heart, Max is our marriage candidate. :colbert:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Leraika posted:

Mine's still sword mom, sorry.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

HardDiskD posted:

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Leraika posted:

HardDiskD posted:

Unfortunately no amount of bad paint.net edits is going to make this possible, but we can always dream. I mean, I could toss together wedding portraits but they'd look terrible.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
She probably wouldn't want us anyway.

"A dirk has its place young man, but some women prefer a greatsword, know what I mean?"

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Sword mom would only ever be able to love a man as sword-crazy as her, why do you think she doesn't have a husband? The man just couldn't survive his own sword-crazy.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 14: Bandan The Bulletin Boy #2

Note: Trying something different this update with less screenshots and more text dialogue so I’m not dumping a lot of unnecessary images on LPix, so there might be more goofs in the typed sections than usual. Feel free to let me know if there’s an error, like always.

Welcome back to Rune Factory 2.

WELCOME BACK TO RUNE FACTORY 2.

Last time everything went totally fine at the Monster Taming Festival and absolutely no timer based bullshit happened.

Now that I’ve got a pretty stable Strawberry farm, Bandan’s raking in some decent money, and I’ll need it. While there’s not much worth buying from Tanya’s shop, or the General Store, once you’ve got some regrowing crops, there are some huge money sinks in this game. The first of which is 100K, an amount that is harder to come across this time than in the last game.

Thankfully I’ve got quite a few of ‘em now. Speaking of, they also produce Runes. Want to see how good runes are in this game?

That’s like half an RP bar right there! I could have used that a game ago!

To be honest, there’s nothing much more of interest coming up for a while. Dialing up the LP with Alicia is going to be my main concern for a while now. This is an exceptionally dry spot, without even a holiday until the 19th.

So expect a lot of bulletin board work.

Yue seems to have a survey going, though.

Well, no sense in being rude.

Not that it actually affects anything. Plus, Yue’s items actually are pretty helpful if you’re trying to raise FP/LP with anyone but Alicia.

: I've got one for you. Alicia gave Ceci a reading and told her to "beware of water." Ceci just laughed, and didn't believe her at all.

In case you were wondering if we picked the right romance option: yes.

: Alicia's fortunes may be bogus, but her weather forecasts are always right. Strange, huh?

Maybe some of our other villager friends have info for us.

I think we’re just gonna go to the bulletin board now.

As usual, Alicia has a job for us.

: I need it for my next fortune. I’ll give you 300 G if you bring it to me. Can you do that for me?

: No problem.

: Thanks, Bandan. That’s why I like you so much!

: Um...sure.
: Sometimes I don’t think you take me that seriously.

This is a pretty straightforward request, especially this late into Alicia’s bulletin board “questline”.

The hardest part is that the required gem is in a pretty annoying location. There’s a lot of clutter up here, and this game loves to try and autocorrect your aim onto...anything.

Sometimes the Archers are nice and just decide to wander off to the other side of the room, though. I’m not complaining.

Nothing to it, really.

: Thanks, Bandan!

: No problem.

:Well, here...Here’s 300G for my thanks!

A rather poor reward, but hey, it’s an Alicia quest.

: Bandan, you're really dependable. I predict that we could fall madly in love.

Oh man, we’re so close.

: Ha ha ha!

Bandan, don’t ruin it again.

: Hey, I’m not kidding...Do you want me to read your fortune and see if I’m right?

: Uh, no thanks. Not this time.

Nope, Bandan. LPer override engaged, let’s check this out.

This means we’re at 6 LP or higher with Alicia! She’ll tell you this for any eligible bachelorette, except Julia for some reason. That’s probably a bug.

This feature is also really useless because you can just...check LP on the relationship menu.

...Jack’s watering is getting really weird. At least we can confirm that Grazing Grass doesn’t die if it misses a day of watering.

Oh, uh, here’s the Pomme Pomme we caught for the Festival. You can dismiss monsters from the barn as well.

I just remembered that I never bother using the Shipping Crate. It’s just an alternate way of selling crops, so...I’m not sure why I’ve been running to Doug’s place each time. Whoops.

Apparently Soap has finally been improved.

Soap! It’s back!

Unfortunately it’s 9:00 in the morning and on most days Julia won’t leave her bed until she absolutely has to. I can respect that but it’s inconvenient.

Soap! It’s gone!

Let’s help Yue instead, I guess.

She’s actually around.

: It's about my request on the bulletin board. I want a PANTHER CLAW. People in the next town over are paying a ridiculous price for them! Well, I want to get in on that action!

: Yeah, you can’t let a good opportunity pass you by.

: Of course not! If you're not willing to take advantage of a good business opportunity, you'll never make it as a merchant. Now, as to where you can find that particular item...I've heard that you can get them from the Shadow Panthers on Blessia Island.

Well gently caress.

: I’m sure that won’t be a problem for you, Bandan. I’ll be waiting for you!

Soap! It’s Back!

I planned this all out really well.

: It's this soap. You can smell just the faintest touch of herbs.

: It smells really nice.

: Doesn't it?! Go ahead -- give it a try and let me know what you think.

: Okay, I'll give it a shot... *scrub scrub*

I guess Bandan just rubs it all over his clothes?

: How is it?

: Hmm, well…

Another choice that...doesn’t actually matter. Both options end the quest with the same reward, but Bandan is polite.

: I think it feels really nice.

: Yaaaaaay! Thank you! It was hard work bringing out this smell! *sigh* Making soap is so hard. And I can't keep on making things if nobody says anything nice about them.

: Hahaha, it kind of sounds like you're making things just so people will praise you.

: No, that’s not it at all! I’m just trying to make soaps that will make my customers happy! Being praised is the last thing on my mind!

: Really?

I guess Bandan’s not that polite.

: Really!

: I see…

: You know what, it’s fine. At any rate, thanks for letting me know what you think! Here, here’s a little something for your troubles.

Free sandwich!

: It’s really tasty, so I’m sure you’ll enjoy it! Oh, yes, and here’s some wood. I figured you might be able to find some use for it.

Julia pulls a lever and 100 logs rain from the ceiling of the bathhouse.

: Thank you.

: Okay, I’ll be counting on you if I ever need help again!

If you were wondering, the response if you say you don’t like the soap is Julia getting upset that people aren’t praising her hard work.

This is probably getting sold because once again, food doesn’t actually list its stat benefits. I’d have to look it up, and I’d rather have 1100G!

So now we’ve got to kill time until the Shadow Panthers come out.

Apparently not with Barrett.

What exactly does Alicia think that thing on her head is? Is...is it actually part of her hair? :psy:

Okay, conversation isn’t passing the time fast enough. Bandan’s going to go train his wizardry against some more pirates.

Thankfully, eventually 6:00 PM hits, and the Panthers come out.

Unfortunately, this takes some time. They can only take two blasts of Fireball, but these things just...did not want to drop the item.

I had to run back and recharge, in fact.

Once night fully falls, I eventually do manage to get one. It felt like RF1 for a while there.

Oh, then they just wouldn’t stop dropping. Three of the next five I killed gave me claws.

There were some benefits to all this, though. Namely, a level up. Bandan’s at Level 7 now!

And then I passed out.

The next morning (after another earthquake), with Alicia’s help, I found Yue. She likes to hide in this corner of Padova Mts., for whatever reason.

: This is just what I asked for! Perfect! Great work, Bandan. If you keep this up, I’ll have to take you on a date! Hee hee. I’m gonna strike it rich with this one! Ah, there’s the matter of your payment, of course. Here you go! Good work!

: I made this BAKED RICE BALL myself! I hope you like it! See you later, Bandan.

Just read back up to what I said about the Sandwich, but sub out the 1100 gold for 430. We’ll be getting more into cooking once we can...actually do it. Which won’t be for a while.

To cap today’s requests off, Cecilia’s got a pretty simple mission, it sounds like.

I’m not sure why she’s so embarrassed when she wrote it on the Town Square bulletin board.

Well I hosed up time management again.

: 9 o’clock tonight?

: Yes. I have a bit of a...strange request. Will you be there?

: Sure.

: Great. So I’ll see you at 9, then.

: Right.

You can totally blow her off. You’ll have to redo the quest, but I don’t think it incurs any other penalties. Still, Bandan is politeish, so let’s try and make the date.

There’s just the matter of burning 8 Hours. First I cleared out the whole field. This means more chances for Wood to spawn there, as it can spawn on any unoccupied, untilled square.

Then I watched Mana use her power of levitation.

On the day of a quake, everyone in town will talk about it. Maybe they’re important.

I’m not sure how Bandan could help with that. Also here’s a new Julia portrait.

I think this is the first time Dorothy’s mentioned her stuffed deer’s name.

tanya is going to fight an earthquake.

Well, after all that conversing (and a couple Fire Emblem Heroes maps), it’s 9:00!

Really the only trouble you could have with this quest is forgetting which area Falling Star Path is. It’s the crossroads that takes you to three of the dungeons, though, so it’s not exactly something you’re likely to be unfamiliar with.

: According to Alicia’s reading, we may be able to see a shooting star here tonight.

: A shooting star?

: Yeah. Normally you can only see them during the Shooting Star Festival, but today’s special.

: That’s pretty neat.
: (I’ve always wanted to see a shooting star with you, Bandan…)

: You say something?

: Oh, no. Just...talking to myself! It should turn up any minute now.

: There, did you see it?!

: Yeah…

: Wow. That was great.

: Yeah, it was really something.

Bandan sounds so, so bored.

: Alicia’s reading was spot on.

: Crazy, huh?

She’s a professional!

: I’m glad we came.

: Yeah.

: Thanks for coming out here with me tonight.

: My pleasure.

: I should be getting home now.

: Well, see you tomorrow!

: Yeah.

: Have a good night, Cecilia!

But we aren’t quite done with Cecilia yet. Let’s jump forward a day.

Wow that’s handy. Villager’s birthdays aren’t on the calendar in this one like they were in RF1, which feels like a bizarre step backwards.

Yue does stock everyone’s favorite gifts, though. And Cecilia’s happens to be the Aquamarine Brooch.

You just told him, don’t be too impressed.

That’s worth a full FP and LP, so not bad!

Next time Bandan is drawn deeper into the fingers of Rosalind’s shadowy conspiracy and also probably waters a tomato or something.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 8, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Does Bandan mark birthdays on his calendar when he finds out when they are, or is he just a jerk like that?

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Glazius posted:

Does Bandan mark birthdays on his calendar when he finds out when they are, or is he just a jerk like that?

Bandan is actually incapable of writing, as it isn't one of his 10-12 Skills.

(Nope, unfortunately.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Is it just me, or is the game pushing Cecilia really, really hard?

Love the LP, by the way.

• Locked thread