Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

thetruegentleman posted:

Is it just me, or is the game pushing Cecilia really, really hard?

There's a 60% chance that it does the same for the other girls in their quests. Which we have not been doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

thetruegentleman posted:

Love the LP, by the way.

The game will push you towards every girl, as you raise their FP. Especially in the quests.

But if we're talking about pushing out of those things, then well Mana. She exists.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

thetruegentleman posted:

Love the LP, by the way.

Like people have mentioned, it's more prevalent with some characters than others, but all the options have some element of romance (by video game standards) in their quests. Cecilia's are just really frontloaded (Her next quest has nothing to do with it, even). We're just starting to get into that territory with Alicia at like, Quest 7/10, and I guess Bandan getting all nervous for like a line when Rosalind's checking him for a fever counts?

I think Mana wins the award for "canon" choice just through virtue of being on the box and the opening movie, though.

(Also thanks!)

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

LordHippoman posted:

I think Mana wins the award for "canon" choice just through virtue of being on the box and the opening movie, though.

She's also "the boring one", a trait shared with fellow Box Art Heroine Shara in 3.

It's pretty damning, though, when you can be "the boring one" in this game.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I'm back! Sorry I disappeared at the end of the FE11 LP, I kind of overdosed on LPs and didnt touch them for 8 months.

Gonna catch up with this over the next day or two and hopefully be an active participant, since I love this series and you're like my 2nd or 3rd favorite LPer.

Edit: 2nd favorite after that Rune Factory 2: Cabbage Tendency joke in the 2nd update.

2nd Edit: Very glad to see Alicia won the poll since she's the one I tried to get to since I agreed with the "Doesn't look like a child" aspect others mentioned. Plus you know, 3/7 are horribly uninteresting, as compared to 3 where everyone but Shara and Sakuya are very interesting.

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 10, 2017

AbstractBlacksmith
Mar 26, 2013

thetruegentleman posted:

Love the LP, by the way.

It certainly worked for me when I played RF2. Spiting Jake is another good reason, too. Also enjoying the hell out of this LP!

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

LordHippoman posted:

Update 5: Please Fund My Bathing

We didn’t actually get a class to go into the bathhouse last time, so let’s see what’s going on there.

As you can see in the top right, we have 165 Wood right now.

I'll share any typo's I catch for now.

Edit: Caught up, and those were the only typo's I caught, good job Hippobro.

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 11, 2017

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

MythosDragon posted:

2nd Edit: Very glad to see Alicia won the poll since she's the one I tried to get to since I agreed with the "Doesn't look like a child" aspect others mentioned. Plus you know, 3/7 are horribly uninteresting, as compared to 3 where everyone but Shara and Sakuya are very interesting.

Collette merits "interesting" over her? Or Karina for a good two thirds of her interactions? :catstare:

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Sage Grimm posted:

Collette merits "interesting" over her? Or Karina for a good two thirds of her interactions? :catstare:

Karina is great. I think shes the one I'm gonna marry this time since Sofia and Raven are the ones I did already.

I did forget Collette though, so 3 uninteresting girls.

Tanya will forever be the best girl in the series though.

silversatyr
Jul 29, 2014

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay! I'll grab my stuff!

-->Eh.
Aw, come on! Sakuya and Colette aren't that bad. Sure, Collette's a one-trick pony til you get later into her interactions, but she's kinda cute. Sakuya has a pretty nice end to her interactions, too. I liked them both. Granted, Raven and Carmen won my heart (Karina's okay, and I never really went for Sofia because I wasn't a fan of the way she talked. And, uh, yeah, I never go for the first girl you meet because you know that's who the game wants you to pick and you never give the game what it wants. Horn-girl... one day I'll try for her, when I feel like joining the Commies (I'm glad I'm not the only one who was getting that vibe from her.))

...I just realised I forgot everyone's favourite mermaid. I dunno, I never really looked at her as possible wife material because she seems way too young and innocent. She not only looks like a kid, but acts like one too. It'd be like going after butterfly girl in 4.

silversatyr fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Oct 11, 2017

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I actively went 'not Shara' because of how hard the game pushes her in 3, and she just gave me slight yandere vibes. Then I was pissed when it turns out no matter who you marry, the love cutscene is Shara and the wedding sprite is Shara.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Since I also just read the entire 1 lp the past few days, I'd like to say I am another person that started with 3 and struggled to play 1 and 2. Well technically I started with 1, but I had the bright idea to play 1-3 simultaneously and obviously only 3 made it after the first few hours. Have tried like 5 times to beat 1 and 2 since and only got to like the 4th cave in 1 and never got married in 2. I think my issue is that I impulsively do everything and only 3 rewards you for that, like I will pet my monsters, water my crops, talk to everyone, fight in the dungeons with my remaining time and RP every single day of RF3, and I tried to do that in 1 and 2 as well, so I'm thinking of replaying 2 a bit with the LP and see if I can break my OCD. I also did not remember 2 having character requests in the least and theyre not even super gimped compared to 3, so I'm trying to figure out how I forgot this and coming to terms with the fact that I now like 2 more than 4.

Pia is the girl that looks the least like a kid to me in 3 tbh, while Collete is the most like a kid.

On Sakuya...... I have never liked the Japanese themed girl in any western fantasy setting, and I honestly can't reason why. Except Shino, Shino is great, but like all the best characters unmarriable.

Btw Hippo, The PS3 Console game made farming mostly automatic and combined it with monster taming, so you might enjoy it. Its much more focused on the combat.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

silversatyr posted:

...I just realised I forgot everyone's favourite mermaid. I dunno, I never really looked at her as possible wife material because she seems way too young and innocent. She not only looks like a kid, but acts like one too.
Plus her (closest-thing-to-a)mom will murder you if you try. :v:

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Haifisch posted:

Plus her (closest-thing-to-a)mom will murder you if you try. :v:

I'm not gonna get back to the 3 LP for a bit since its much more tempting and really makes me want to play, so can I ask how far it is and whether or not the vote for marriage has started or finished?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

MythosDragon posted:

I'm not gonna get back to the 3 LP for a bit since its much more tempting and really makes me want to play, so can I ask how far it is and whether or not the vote for marriage has started or finished?
Middle of summer, finished the third dungeon, no marriage poll yet(the ability to get married at all is plot-gated & relatively late in the plot, so there's not much point having a poll too soon before that. Basically the opposite of RF2 :v:).

And I've been slow updating since I'm busy danganing ronpas.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Haifisch posted:

Middle of summer, finished the third dungeon, no marriage poll yet(the ability to get married at all is plot-gated & relatively late in the plot, so there's not much point having a poll too soon before that. Basically the opposite of RF2 :v:).

And I've been slow updating since I'm busy danganing ronpas.

Cool, I'll check it out and participate after I either fail to actually get anywhere in 2 or actually succeed at playing it.

Also I just checked my cartridge and the files on it are in Summer 12, WITH MAX LP WITH ALL THE BRIDES EXCEPT ROSALIND. All the villagers are at varying levels of 5-8 FP too. I have 150K, And a total skill level of 193 between the 8 skill you can use in gen 1, never touched camping.
I uh, wasnt kidding about doing everything, every single day, jesus.

Edit: I was a monster, all my monster's are just names A-P with max friendship, I also have 4 of each of the producermons.

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Oct 11, 2017

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

MythosDragon posted:

I'll share any typo's I catch for now.

Edit: Caught up, and those were the only typo's I caught, good job Hippobro.

Fixed the indicated typos, thanks!

I just wanted to throw out there, while I'm here, that we're not going to see ALL the requests, because after Bandan gets married and THE BIG THING happens they change, and if I waited around and did all of them the thread would be dead, the LP would be dead, and I myself would likely also be dead.

So if there is a character you really like and really want to see more of, please feel free to let me know. Before you slam down Tanya, don't worry, we've done all of Tanya's requests. We've done all of Max's too.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I say do all the requests you have the fp for up to the point its time to get married and just kinda speed through them in an update request or two. I did all the free quests in the first week and now remember why I forgot they existed. The real conundrum is showing off all the festivals with Bandan.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Maybe a little more Rosalind mad science if you haven't done all her stuff already?

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Gordan. Because why not.

And maybe we should get to know our future in laws a little better...? No actually, they're boring and you probably don't want to.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug
Maybe a little more with Julia? It feels like we know almost nothing about her. Unless there is nothing to know, which I would not be surprised about.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Glaive17 posted:

Maybe a little more with Julia? It feels like we know almost nothing about her. Unless there is nothing to know, which I would not be surprised about.

Remember how the bath character in RF1 was literally just two bullet points of "obsessed with baths, has a hat"?

Julia has no hat.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Julia is also a meany and raises her FP and LP slower than others.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 15: Cabbage Scam

Welcome back to Rune Factory 2, where we can see one of my ideas actually working for the first time in this LP.

Clearing out the field seems to have prompted some more stump growth, which I’m going to thank myself for in the future.

Anyway, we’ve got some requests to run this time, leading up to the next festival. First off, vegetable business.

I’d just real quick like to note how good the Green Pepper’s description is.

These Cabbages aren’t fully grown yet. They do look that way, though. I think, at least. I’ve never grown a cabbage in real life. I did strawberries once, and that’s the extent of my experience.

So, here’s a...thing about Rune Factory 2. Although you can refill your watering can in any water source, it’s weirdly finicky about exactly what positions count? For example, if I hit B here, it just dumps in the river.

If I hit it here, it refills. I don’t know why either, this is just a spot I use a lot.

Thankfully, even on Holidays, Yue’s Shop is open. Probably because it’s...in her pockets.

Anyway let’s go see if Rosalind wants us to try out a poison or something. Not sure where she is on Holidays, though...time for another Location Fortune.

Hey, you aren’t Alicia!

Dammit.

so will any of you magically tell me where rosalind is or-

Turns out she was in her house. I probably should have started there.

: I've been thinking that I'd like to.share all of the new recipes that.I've been creating with someone.

: Okay.

Wow, hella judgemental, Bandan.

: So... On that note... If it's okay with you... To repay all the favors that you've done me... I would be honored if you allowed me to cook for you. I'll prepare every recipe I've invented!

: F-F-For me?

: Of course. If this doesn't appeal to you, you can say no...But still...If you can, I’d really like for you to taste my food, Bandan....Oh, what am I saying? It's not like me to be so...so pushy.

Uh, you feeling okay there, Rosalind?

: Rosalind! It’s not very often that I have the chance to sample your food.

It’s the completely dead serious look on Bandan’s face that makes this scene for me.

: I’ll absolutely let you cook for me!

: R-Really?! Yaaaay! Thaaaaank you.

These two are weird.

: Outside? That sounds great.

: Okay, I'll start making preparations. Why don't you head to Alvarna-North Square a little bit ahead of me, okay? My food-loving father gave this food his seal of approval. So you better be thrilled!

This is about a...10 second walk.

Congrats, quest complete.

: Bandan! Come over here. I made us a picnic. Please, eat up.

: This looks delicious! Let’s get started!

: How does it taste?

: This taste of this is...exquisite. And it smells wonderful. It really wraps around your tongue...but it's subtle, too. This is really an amazing dish!

The only thing Bandan remembers pre-amnesia is his guest appearance on Chopped, I guess.

: That's good… All the testing I did with my father was worth it.

Bandan, come on, you’re old enough to get married!

: Bandan, you’ve got some rice on your cheek. Here, I’ll get it for you.

: ……!!!

: Okay, I got it. Calm down, please. Savor the food.

: *munch munch* *gulp gulp* *munch munch* Whew, I’m full. That was quite a feast.

: I’m glad you enjoyed it. I hope I’ll get another opportunity to cook for you some time!

: Heh, I can’t wait. Thank you!

: Ah, look at the time. I’ve got to get home. It was very nice spending time together today. Thank you for helping me make such a nice memory.

: Thank you for the feast. Tomorrow I’ll be back to working for you again.

: Heeheehee!

Well, he ate food and got awkward around a lady, that’s enough for Bandan for one day!

(i might be trying to knock days out quick, don’t tell anyone)

Here’s Yue again. I tend to run into her while I’m watering in the mornings.

: That's a very pretty pattern. I get the feeling that it's something very special.

: It’s called a kimono. It’s a little hard to wear, but isn’t it cute?

Yue has like, five different quotes about her kimono, by the way. She’s from Fantasy Japan, you see.

I still think it’s bizarre that it’s harder to check your wood count in this game than in the first one.

Also, it’s Wednesday, and Bandan’s got some mail!

Well, let’s not miss that incredible opportunity*.

*opportunity not that incredible because I’ve bought basically all I need

They don’t even actually sell these. It would at least be a fun weapon.

I’ve decided we’re going to grow Pumpkins on the farm. Because it’s almost Halloween and all. And that letter made me feel like I had to buy something.

Someone requested some more Gordon in the thread, so let’s see what the Father’s up to.

: Okay, I need you to bring me an AQUAMARINE.

: I’d go myself, but I can’t be away from the church. Since there are monsters there, it would be too dangerous to send Dorothy or Cammy. So I thought I’d turn to you, Bandan! It should be easy for you.

I’m glad Gordon at least recognizes Bandan for the Slayer Of Pomme Pommes he has become at this point.

: You can leave it to me.

: I knew I’d be able to count on you!

I dunno, though. Trieste Forest might have grown more dangers since I visited this morning.

Bandan’s going to get armed, with the Spear!

Spear weapons are two handed, and have this three hit combo ending in a little thrust forward.

You can also charge them up for the forward thrust.

Honestly, I’m not a big fan of spears. They don’t have anything resembling AOE, and the range isn’t more helpful than raw damage most of the time.

They beat the hell outta Pomme Pommes, though.

So here’s a Fun Fact: There are four rocks in Trieste Forest. These rocks don’t respawn.

I came out emptyhanded. Guess we’re trying this one another day.

Time to retire the Spear. Thanks for your service, although I might still sell you since wow, the Shelf is not as big in this game! Already nearly filled to the brim with things I can’t use!

Let’s just see what Julia’s up to instead.

: Yes?

: Could you maybe run over to Douglas' store and get me something nice and healthy to eat? You know that I'm really careful when it comes to matters of beauty, right? Well, a very important part of that is making sure you eat right. But it's really hard to put energy into cooking healthy, balanced meals every single day. Sometimes I just can't find the time. When that happens, I just buy something from Douglas' store.

: Sure. That makes sense. You can’t always find the time to cook.

: You get me so well, Bandan! Tell Douglas I sent you. I think he’ll be able to help you out. Make sure it’s healthy! See you later!

Oh, it’s also a minute too early to bathe, apparently.

Doug’s shop is like 20 steps away, Julia. For someone that worried about health, she seems afraid to walk.

: Heh. Um, not right now. Hey, do you have any healthy food in stock?

: Ah, Food, huh? Let’s see, food, food… Well, I have some CABBAGE CAKES and SALAD.

: Oh, well, maybe I’ll take the SALAD.

: What? You’re a man, boy! Whaddaya want a SALAD for?

Douglas

Douglas that’s not how that works at all. I don't even know what a Cabbage Cake is, though.

: Oh no, it isn’t for me.

: I’m tellin’ you, you want the CABBAGE CAKES!

I really did consider holding a vote for this one. But let’s be honest.

We weren’t going to say no to him.

: Atta’ boy! Eat these every day, and you’ll be big ‘n strong in no time! Ga ha ha!

He was so excited he didn’t even charge us.

WE hosed UP, JULIA

: Hold it! You seriously think I’m going to eat that?! Do you want me to put on weight?! Bandan, you moron! I can’t bear to look at you right now, Bandan! Just get out of here!

: Sorry.

I can’t believe we got peer pressured by Douglas. Uh. Quest complete, though.

Well I don’t feel like watering the pumpkins so I’m going to get Bandan’s wizard girlfriend to make the sky do it for me.

This is probably not worth it.

Still, why not?

The Toyherbs and Cabbages are all done!

Also, wow. Toyherbs sell for a lot! But I kept one.

So, in RF1, when you got to a certain FP level with a villager, they’d give you the keys to their house and you could come in off-hours. Apparently they don’t do that in RF2, but you just...silently get the permission at some point? Well, I’m at that point, so I can give Julia an apology Toyherb at 9:35 AM.

Next time Bandan enters the Dance Festival. See you then.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Cabbage cakes are okonomiyaki which are very delicious and probably pretty bad for you, veggies and all.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

OK Julia calling going all :ramsay: on you for bringing her the wrong food is good.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Well, what were you expecting?

Also, I remembered that other villagers don't have very interesting requests.

Byron has one in which he asks you for help with his son.

Jake might be the rudest jerk ever, but he gets well along with his dad... or more like, he's actually kinda scared of pissing him off. You get this info from Jake, but I figured nobody wanted to see his unwanted face.

The game pushes you pretty hard with the girls you do requests with.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Yeah besides the girls they get like 3 requests. Some of the requests are a ton of fun, and dont lose out to 3. But not being limited and there being like 1/5th as many of them makes them feel pointless, still better than 4 completely removing them.

Pretty sure sure 3 lets you fight with a parasol, and I know 4 does.

Fantasy Japan is only cool when youre in Fantasy Japan.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh, you can pay 1000G to take the day off watering? That's convenient.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Leraika posted:

Cabbage cakes are okonomiyaki which are very delicious and probably pretty bad for you, veggies and all.

Oh. That makes way more sense. I kept trying to reconcile the idea of cake and cabbage in one.

Glazius posted:

Oh, you can pay 1000G to take the day off watering? That's convenient.

Only every other day, because if it's raining Alicia won't go to her fortune telling post at the docks. I don't know if she'll ever do it if you marry her...but I mean, guess we'll all find out together.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I started up the PS3 game, tides of destiny for the first time in years and I'm shocked by how good it is.
The voice acting is almost a straight 10/10 fits everyone and sounds good. Everyone has a decent amount of requests, a bit less detailed than 3, and people you cant marry max out at 6 fp so its a bit weird, but its not bad, when my quick glance through a faq had everyone with atleast 8 requests. Hippobro would probably enjoy the fact that its more focused on the battling part and farming is near automatic. It was technically also the first one that let you play as a girl....but you have to beat the plot first.... no clue what they were thinking there tbh. Honestly the only issues sans that are that the plot is bad(Whats new), its slightly more grindy and the 3D both hurts and helps.

P.S Best De Sainte-Coquille, she screams ADVENTURE! in addition to eating everything.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I kind of admit I didn't like Tides of Destiny as much as the other RF games for being more about monster raising and dungeon crawling.

The plot is kind of weird since basically the two leads get basically fused together early in the story so while you control the male lead through most of the main story the female lead is there throwing out her own commentary on things.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Yeah its pretty much completely opinion, I'm personally exactly in the middle, whichever one is less intrusive to getting all the requests done and learning about the characters is the better one.

Also forgot a flaw- Skill list is kind of wacky and most things take too long to level compared to 3 and 4, but obviously still beats 1 and 2.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 16: Bandan Cleans Up Nicely

This is going to be a pretty short update, I’ve got kind of a claustrophobic schedule this month. My apologies. I wanted to put something out, though, and there are two more important requests we’ve got to take care of for tools. Plus, there’s the Dance Festival!

Well, you could at least pretend for me, Barrett.

Egan’s more supportive, at least. Maybe I should hang out with Egan more.

Well, no sense dallying, let’s get this Festival on the road, shall we?

I totally lied, we’re briefly dallying. I wanted to show off how fast the clutter on your farm starts coming back after you clear it out. I like to keep it somewhat clear to make room for stumps to spawn. Being caught in a wood drought is the worst case scenario.

Of course, we can’t go to the dance without our friend the Pomme Pomme!

Well, you’re no fun, Bandan.

Yes, this does also prevent you from using monsters for exploration on Festival days too. Just another one of those Rune Factory 2 things.

So, the Dance Festival is really pretty simple. Bandan can ask one bachelorette to dance with him. She’s got to be at 5 LP or above to accept.

Roy is not a bachelorette, but he seems like a cool kid.

I’m pretty sure I’m going to get Tanya’s insight on every festival in the game.

max nobody in this town ever changes clothes except cecilia.

Poor Ray. You can get this next conversation on any festival, I think, but it works best with this one.

: Hi, Bandan.

: I didn’t catch you in the middle of a date, did I?

: !!!

: …

: Ha ha! Sorry, it’s not like me to joke like that.

: !!!

: What?

: Ha ha ha. I’m just kidding.

: Ha ha ha. You almost had me fooled for a minute there.

Keep riding that roller coaster, Ray.

That doesn’t sound in character for our pal Bandan at all!

Naturally, you all know how this one shook out.

This teleports you right to the Town Square.

: Did you say something?

: What? Oh no, it’s nothing.

And then they dance.

Well, they uh, hold hands and spin around a lot. I was considering GIFing this, but it’s not exactly complex and also :effort:, mea culpa.

I don’t think they expected you to do this with Alicia, because the hat clips like nuts.

Is it...merging with the bandana? Could we be witnessing a new form of headgear?

...Did nobody else dance at this festival?

That gives +1 LP and +1 FP with whoever you choose. Except that Alicia’s LP can’t be raised outside her fortunes, so just the FP there.

Now then, we’re actually missing two tools that I think I’ve just been putting off because I don’t need them yet. Still, we might as well fill out the set, so it’s Clean-Up time. Egan and Herman’s first requests yield the goods. We’ll tackle the innkeeper’s first.

: I tried thinking up some new recipes to make for my.customers, and I need someone to try them out for me.

: Ah, I got it. That’s no problem.

: Thank you so much. This is a new fish dish I made. Please, try it.

: Okay. It looks good.

Each *munch* saves a good 1000 dollars on eating animations, fun fact.

: How is it?

: Hmm, well, it could use a little more flavor…

: Ah, really? Well, looks like it’s back to the drawing board with this one.

: Maybe you should try using some more spices and seasonings? Like…

I feel like with each Rune Factory LP I end up divulging more of my personal culinary tastes on accident. For example, I suck at spicy food! All of it!

: I see. I’ll keep that in mind. Is there anything else you noticed?

: Yes, well, I was thinking that maybe you could bring out the taste with something a little more subtle...

I also dump vinegar on like, everything, so I’m in full support of this plan.

: What good will that do? How can I be subtle if I’m using a lot of something?

Same

: No need to apologize. Okay. It looks like thanks to you, I’ll be able to make something good, Bandan. Thank you so much.

: No, no, I’m sorry that I couldn’t be of any more help.

: Don’t worry about it, you were a great reference. Now I just have to try some things out. Here’s something for your trouble.

: You can use these to shave the wool off of monsters.

Well, monster, singular. It only works on Woolies. I guess you could have multiple Woolies, though.

: Thank you. Well, I’m going to be on my way.

The Clippers aren’t useful yet, since Wool isn’t useful yet, but that’s a nice description. We would never harm Woolies in Alvarna, unlike some towns with entire festivals built around beating the crap out of them for points.

You can’t fail that quest by giving the wrong answers or anything, by the way. Bandan’s just more apologetic if you screw up more, but Egan’s always supportive. He’s a cool guy.

Bandan’s gotten free food for two updates in a row, so I guess this is paying it back.

Quick stop by Alicia’s to confirm Bandan’s awful at flirting again.

I’m pretty sure Herman never leaves that spot at the stop of his stairs, except on Holidays.

Max has got a tip for us!

: If there’s someone you like, you should seek out chances to talk to her, whether day or night. If you do, her good feelings towards you will quickly improve. Alright! You’ve gotten some choice information. I’ll let you borrow that advice, but you have to pay me back 1 million times! Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!

I’m pretty sure that’s called stalking, Max. That wasn’t choice advice at all!

: Let’s get right to it. I am missing an ingredient essential in any proper de Sainte-Coquille family breakfast. I want you to bring me RICE. Your payment will be 3000G. Good luck!

Well, that’s pretty direct and to the point. You can’t grow Rice, though…

Thankfully, our friend Doug sells it.

I just got the pumpkins, Douglas. C’mon.

One unit of Rice is only 270G, so this is a fantastic request for early game money making. I didn’t do it until now because I’m dumb, I guess.

I also got some corn seeds because I can’t say no to that guy.

I love how Bandan carries everything two-handed over his head.

: Here’s to you never falling short of my expectations.

: Also, as a little extra thanks, I’m giving you a Milker.

Herman proceeds to give a lengthy explanation on how to equip stuff, but we’re 16 updates deep and y’all probably aren’t interested. Trust me, you didn’t miss much. You use the Milker on Buffamoos to get Milk. Milk only has...one use right now, which I will gladly show off next time.

That’s it for now. Sorry things were so short. Next time, Bandan continues to solve everyone’s problems and nearly wins Alicia’s heart.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wow, it seems kind of late to still be getting tools.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Glazius posted:

Wow, it seems kind of late to still be getting tools.

These quests are available really early.

By the way, I always asked Ceci out to the dance.

It feels so good to spite someone mean.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

The Hat and Bandana have max LP. Bandat, Handana, Bandai Hatco.

I named protag Agate since they're both Red haired dudes with Bandanas compressing their brains.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Blademaster_Aio posted:

It feels so good to spite someone mean.

Patience, friend.

MythosDragon posted:

The Hat and Bandana have max LP. Bandat, Handana, Bandai Hatco.

The plot twist is that Bandan was the bandana the whole time, the body is a puppet.

Edit: Hey, so I know I usually have a new update up by now, but I'm taking a brief hiatus because, I'm not gonna lie, this game is kind of a slog to LP, at least right now. It's difficult to put together an update that I feel like has enough new content to be decent at the moment. My time's been stolen by Etrian Odyssey IV as well, if we're being honest, and I don't have as much free time as usual due to personal obligations piling down on me.

Don't worry, I'm not abandoning the LP or anything, I'll be back. It just might be a bit longer than usual, until I can put an update together that I like accept don't hate.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 28, 2017

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Update 17: Frigid First Dates

(Sorry this took so long.)

Bandan’s quest for the heart of that lady who stands on the docks and magically changes the weather is nearing its end (as is your patience for this LP, probably. Maybe that’s just me.), and he’ll be onto greener pastures soon enough.

First, though, we’ve got some more errands to run.

I know I open on wood chopping a lot, but look: you need a lot of wood in this game. Not for much we have access too quite yet, but sooner or later this will be handy.

Also, be careful using your sword around crops. Guess I’m only getting 8 Tomatoes from this spot from now on. :smith:

This is why I usually kill those Pirates with the Watering Can.

We’re nearly finished with Alicia’s quests, so let’s knock another out.

That’s not very big at all.

: Is this for another one of your fortunes?

: Why does everyone think my readings never come true on their own? But yes, it is for another of my fortunes. Will you do it for me?

: Sure, I can do that.

: Thank you, Bandan! That’s why I love you so much!

: Yeah, yeah.

: Hmph, I kind of meant it that time.

I killed an Orc. There’s...not much I can say about that I haven’t already said? I used the Fireball.

While I’m out here, though, let’s grab another Monster Friend and fulfill a request from…several pages ago.

Thanks, Haifisch, now we can name an Orc Archer after one of our neighbors!

(this is only a fire emblem joke if you want it to be)

I’ve been telling you, she’s a pro.

: Huh? But you’ve told me lots of people’s fortunes before!

: This is a special case. Ha ha ha. Anyway, thank you. Here’s your 500 G. Go ahead, take it.

Alicia’s 8th Request gives...about a fourth of what I think Rosalind gave us on her first job. But it’s the relationship that matters.

: Thanks, Bandan. I’m happy I could find a kind and strong man…

Well, so long as Bandan’s not catching these hints, we’ll keep doing Cecilia’s work for her too. This one sounds...interesting.

oh dammit no

BANDAN NO

: Well, nothing in particular. He has this intense dislike of humans, but I've been thinking... maybe he might open up to you?

: Okay. I dunno how it’ll go, but I’ll give it a shot.

: Thank you, Bandan. Please try and talk to Jake. If you can become friends with him, maybe he’ll change his views on humans.

So for this quest we just have to solve racism. No...big deal?

Let’s nap first.

Pet a sheep too. This is gonna take preparation.

By the way, here’s Gordn, who is apparently very lazy.

I think all we’ve heard about them was in the last game, so...no?

Here goes nothing. :sigh:

: I don't have anything to say to you.

: Well, um, are you sure? We could talk about whatever you’re interested in.

: Listen. You've been spending a lot of time with Ceci lately, haven't you? I'm only going to say this once. You'd better keep your hands off her, human. She's not for you!

: Jake, do you like Cecilia?

: Wh-What does that matter, human? Ceci is a half-elf, just like I am. She doesn't belong with one of your kind.

: What are you talking about? There are plenty of elves that have married humans.

Bandan just kinda jumps fully into this one, huh?

: I can’t accept that.

: So you're saying that you .can't accept Cecilia, either?

Has….has Jake actually NEVER thought about this? Holy poo poo.

: J-Just...keep away from Ceci! Or else!

: O-Okay.

: Stay away from Ceci. Got it, human?

This subplot would be so much better if Jake’s only character trait wasn’t “is racist”.

We didn’t really...get anywhere.

: Sure, but I don’t know how much it helped.

: Oh, he won’t change overnight, I know. But none of the other boys in town will even talk to him. I thought maybe if you two talked to each other, you might become friends. Sorry for asking you to do something like this, but please, see what you can do to get closer to him.

(pictured: lying)

: Thank you, Bandan. I always knew you were a good person.

There’s no reward for this one, other than the knowledge that we fought intolerance...kinda vaguely sorta not really.

Anyway, I mentioned last time there was one use for the milk from Buffamoos in this first part of the game.

It’s not selling, because this is chump change. But…

Jake hates milk.

:laugh:

I also managed to snag an Aquamarine on a trip to Trieste Forest, so we can finish up Gordon’s quest.

It only took us about...a week.

: Well, you held up your end of the deal. Here’s your payment. Go ahead, take it.

: I’ve got something else for you too.

: Thank you very much.

: We’ve got to look out for one another in this world. It’s the golden rule, Bandan.

Oh yeah, Cammy exists.

...Look, maybe I’m not socializing all that much with some of these characters. I have my reasons.

At least Alicia likes us.

...Well, let’s be honest, this is in character for our graceless amnesiac.

Cammy’s right, we are making a lot of friends! :v:

The pineapples have also finally grown.

Bandan’s so excited his head fused with one on accident.

Basically all I’m doing on these off days is watering my crops and getting fortunes from Alicia. Today she’s too busy talking about the town’s next big event, though. We’ll be seeing that next time.

I also got Cecilia’s LP high enough that Alicia will tell us she’s interested in her Love Fortune!

This is entirely pointless when that information is one button and two Touch Screen pokes away.

Let’s close out with another mission for our bride-to-be.

:siren: HE DID IT :siren:

: What?

Bandan, hold it together for like ten seconds, would you?

: Go on a date with me! If you don’t, my reading will be wrong! What, does a date with me sound so bad to you?!

Actually, neither of them can hold it together. Maybe that’s why they’re perfect for eachother.

: No, it’s not that…

: Okay then. Good. You had me worried that my fortune wouldn’t be true.

: (I don’t think this has anything to do with fortunes anymore…)

: Okay, you’re going to take me to Padova Mts.-Crossroad.

: Wh-why there? Don’t monsters appear there?

: I don’t have a choice. The fortune said that if we go there, the date will go well.

: Hmm. If you say so, I guess. But it’s pretty dangerous around there, Alicia.

: Won’t you protect me from any monsters, Bandan?

: Of course I’ll protect you. Just...be careful, okay?

: I know, I know.

: Well, let’s get going.

Well, I guess we’re off to the romantic frozen wastes!

After I sell Pineapples, I mean.

Now for the wastes.

Bandan just kinda arbitrarily declares this once you reach the midpoint of this opening screen.

It...uh...actually took me a second here to realize what Bandan meant by “gates”.

He’s talking about the monster spawners. They called them “Shifts” last time! Regardless, at this point, the monsters aren’t at all a threat.

The game is now in cutscene mode.

: Thank you.

: So, Bandan, is there...is there anyone you like?

: What? Um, well, I don’t know...Why don’t you tell me my fortune, Alicia?

: Oh, that's nice of you...but you know my predictions are never accurate.

: What? Your predictions are amazing!

: Really? Do you really think so?

: Well, yeah...you’re really good at predicting the weather and knowing where people will be.

: My love fortunes are totally inaccurate, though! And those are the most important fortunes of all!

: You’re a lot better than you think you are… Come on, take a shot with my fortune. Tell me what my future holds.

: Okay...I’ll give it a try.

This is voiced as usual. It’s a nice touch.

: So...am I correct?

: Uh...yes, you are.

: Oh, good! I like you too, Bandan. Thanks for coming with me today, Bandan. You really are a nice guy.

He finally did it. :unsmith:

If you’re already married, this quest resolves a little differently, in that Alicia reads that you’re a good friend instead.

Next time, we go fishing. See you then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Oh boy, he finally caught a clue!

• Locked thread