Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Somberbrero posted:

if there's anyone i'm NOT gonna vote, I feel like it's sandwolf. i've been agreeing with pretty much everything he's been saying.

Got a case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

(not phoneposting anymore)

OK after re-reading Somber I feel like he's scum.

Here are his posts about me in chronological order:

Somberbrero posted:

this reads as fake. if it was an actual smoking gun, someone else would have ran with it. it's like, quintessential fake content.

---

i don't understand what you don't understand?

mmt jumped on something that clearly didn't mean anything.

Pod made a statement about the flavor, which I know nothing about. I had just replaced into the game and was catching up on the (relatively quiet at that point) thread and basically just replying to stuff that jumped out on me, so I asked him if his post was serious.

Who was the person jumping on something that clearly didn't mean anything?

Moving on:

Somberbrero posted:

in fact the more i read that page, the more i like mmt for scum. take a look at this:

versus this:

i don't think it's any coincidence that pod died. there's something fucky about both asiina and hal rushing to clear mmt as she's replaced. i'm wondering if the scum were going for a distancing strategy that picked up more steam than they intended and betrayer was pissed at being bussed, or decided it was best for the team.

it's circumstantial but i don't see any other cases grabbing me. ##vote [mmt]

This part of the case is that Hal and Asiina started defending me when I jumped in the thread. At no point does he ever case Hal or Asiina after mentioning this, so I have to assume that either (a) it no longer applies or (b) it was fake to begin with.

Somberbrero posted:

i''m really really trying not to spiral thinking about the mason thing but honestly i think if it's anyone it has to be murmur or maximillion. i just need to get that out there. or bif is just loving with me for reasons i don't understand.

Here he calls Max potential scum but once again doesn't make a case.

At this point I can understand Somber thinking I'm scum because it admittedly did take me a little while to get engaged and I didn't explain my case on Jam very well. But then:

Somberbrero posted:

okay murmur, the jam case is retroactively fine by me.

Cool.

Somberbrero posted:

if there's anyone i'm NOT gonna vote, I feel like it's sandwolf. i've been agreeing with pretty much everything he's been saying.

So while he's maintaining suspicion on me, all he has for reasons that I can see is a "me too" case on what Somber posted.

Hal Incandenza posted:

This seems like a strange response to that particular post. Nothing he said would lead to a case

Hah sweet timing on this, I was right about to post this case.

I meant "do you have any cases to make on anyone?" because while Somber is making a lot of posts, he isn't really doing very much of declaring who he thinks is scum and why.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

I originally didn't think Somber was scum because I didn't see any logical reason for a scum Somber to be in a masonry with someone pretending to be someone else. But the more I look over the masonry, the more it looks fishy to me:

Somberbrero posted:

also i forgot about this earlier, but are bif and i really the only other mason pair?

---

i guess maybe you are unhappy that i outted us but, uh, you said it was fine the other day?

---

i wasn't talking to you, i was talking to Other Bif.

Can you paraphrase the part of the conversation where you decided to out your masonry? Like what was the rationale for outing it?

If Somber really thought he was in a masonry with bif, I think he would have made that second post in the masonry but I question if he would have done it in the thread as well. When I look at those posts and ask myself if he could be scum doing that as a distraction, I see no reason why that couldn't' be the case. If so, it worked on me.

Somber volunteered the information that he was in the masonry, unprompted. And from there on out, a lot of the conversations in the game (especially from Somber himself) were more focused on what was going on with the masonry (as opposed to who the scum are). He maintains that he's in the masonry, but only gives information when prompted and then it's always really sparse. Which, fine, I get it that once the mason is exposed as a fake then there's not much to say. But when asked about it, instead of saying that, he kind of mutters out a short answer about it.

Somberbrero posted:

like not loving much! so it's like, what was the point of this? we kept missing each other with my work schedules. i'm checking back now.

d1: asks me if i have any other abilities.

we talk a little about jokephase

talks about how town max seems

calls me out for lurking

asks me how i feel about mithross

says something about pod not getting the girl he picked

d2: mostly us missing each other and him calling me out for lurking more

---

max, how would i know when bif is asleep? checking the doc today, all other-bif has posted in it since then is this:

:o)
(o:

but like two dozen times.

---

no we last talked earlier today. obviously i tried to talk this there now.

---

Yeah. I just checked and today is the first time they haven't said anything though. I guess that could change though.

Like if I were town and in an anonymous mason with someone lying about their identity, I'd be doing my best to engage with that person and reporting the results to town. Even if there was nothing to say, that's information that I have that I can share that could potentially be useful (especially since Max hinted something about masonries earlier).

Also, at what point in the conversation did you mention outing the masonry? That wasn't in your list.

Would vote Somber.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Murmur Twin posted:

So while he's maintaining suspicion on me, all he has for reasons that I can see is a "me too" case on what Sandwolf posted.

Mafia edit

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Max posted:

Blame a dead person
Make us think faux-bif is dead
Goes to the background.

Have you shared everything you know about masonries? Can you?

Like do you know what faux-bif's win condition? What would they stand to gain from making town think they died on N2?

I'm aware that you have to answer this in haiku and it's making me giggle :350:

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Murmur Twin posted:

I'm aware that you have to answer this in haiku and it's making me giggle :350:

:eng99:

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Max posted:

Ugggghhhhhhh gently caress I'm stepping away. That is too many syllables

:f5:

Is something going to happen as a result of this?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Sandwolf posted:

This is a really weird post?

:350:

I have free time to really delve into the game for the first time since it started and I was bored at no one immediately replying.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Sandwolf posted:

This is a really weird post?

Also, that's the post of mine you reply to? What's your opinion of my case on Somber?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Somberbrero posted:

:\ are you actively rooting for a modkill because you're about to win or something?

I feel like I found the scum and I want to play mafia.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Somberbrero posted:

is it helpful if i actually go through that case? because i'm at work and if no one is here anyway then i'm going to stress about other stuff.

Town players usually find it fun, not stressful, to read over their prime scum suspects.

But if you're not feeling it, at least answer

Somberbrero posted:

i guess maybe you are unhappy that i outted us but, uh, you said it was fine the other day?

---

like not loving much! so it's like, what was the point of this? we kept missing each other with my work schedules. i'm checking back now.

d1: asks me if i have any other abilities.

we talk a little about jokephase

talks about how town max seems

calls me out for lurking

asks me how i feel about mithross

says something about pod not getting the girl he picked

d2: mostly us missing each other and him calling me out for lurking more

Murmur Twin posted:

Can you paraphrase the part of the conversation where you decided to out your masonry? Like what was the rationale for outing it?

---

Also, at what point in the conversation did you mention outing the masonry? That wasn't in your list.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Murmur Twin posted:

Town players usually find it fun, not stressful, to read over their prime scum suspects.

Ahh I missed the "I'm at work" context of that :ohdear:

Other question still stands.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Yo seriously did no one read my Somber case? :smith:

Like I know reading is hard and all that but I'm starting to get a bit frustrated here.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

quote:

untrue. i brought it up because of max.

Fair enough, my bad :eng99:

Somberbrero posted:

these are two completely different ideas in the same post. i don't care for the editorialization about muttering to myself either.

I didn't know I wasn't able to put multiple ideas in the same post?

I'm just saying, I think that a masonry with someone lying about their identity is interesting enough to talk about. you paraphrased d1 but then after that you don't really say anything about it at all except answering people when asked.

Was there any conversation at all after the :o)'s?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Somberbrero posted:

also is the central premise of this case that i threw up some big, attention-getting lie in order to do... what, exactly?

(A) Give yourself something to talk about instead of casing people (which was more true at the time I made the point)
(B) Look townie by giving up information that you're in a masonry with a liar (which again - I thought you were town because I couldn't imagine a role that would do that to scum, so if you were doing that it worked)

quote:

we talk briefly about it early on. i say that unconfirmed masons means nothing so we probably want to claim at some point. not-bif says wait until day one is through at least.

Why didn't you include that in your paraphased conversation?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Sorry I am back and catching up!

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Oh poo poo I didn't realize deadline was in ten minutes.

Sandwolf posted:

Yeah [MMT being town] is kinda where my heads at. MMT has seemed a lot more sincere today? The case on Somber isn't swaying me to think he's scum, but it appears a lot more like town play.

I don't like Max's play (today, he struck me as very town the first couple days) but I'm not sure he's scum, Hal has actually been pinging me very hard today.

Sandwolf posted:

Would anyone be interested in a switch to MMT over Max?

##vote Sandwolf

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

This is ridiculous, there isn't a single good case on me - are people really buying into :f5: being a scumtell?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

I still lean scum on Somber and Sandwolf and somewhere between null and town for Bif/Max/Hal.

Specifically I feel like the other three are putting some sort of an effort into figuring out things about the game and Somber/Sandwolf are just trying their damnedest to drive the vote on me.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Sandwolf posted:

Would anyone be interested in a switch to MMT over Max?

What was your reason for this?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

I'm scrolling through super fast but Max feels generally engaged with the game (even though he was haiku'ed he was still communicating a lot) and I'd really strongly prefer Sandwolf over him.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Somberbrero posted:

hello bif, would you care for a glass of water? i was hoping to wait for murmur before we started, but she is probably out getting high on drugs.

:smith:

I work a night shift on weekends and sleep on afternoon/evenings, I was sleeping. I'm going to be work now so just to set the expectation I'm not going to be able to really delve into things until tomorrow morning.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Somberbrero posted:

Hey murmur I am sorry if that was lovely. I was trying to be funny but I realize now that it was also mean.

Haha to be fair if you said that about me Thursday night / Friday morning you'd be been correct. :glomp:

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Bifauxnen posted:

hey MT, can you claim since it's MYLO and all? I wanna hear your take on things too before I delve into effortposts.

My name is Suki and other thuan being kawaii, I'm vanilla.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

I'm home and am about to dive into a re-read of all three of you! In the meantime, what are people's thoughts on the idea of a no-lynch tonight?

PROS:

- given four players there can't be more than one scum.
- in normal mafia, it's the correct play to eliminate a town player as a possible mislynch

CONS:

- 2 kills on N2 means it's possible that it could lose us the game

I think I could go either way on this but my gut says that no-lynch is the right play. I feel like 1-shot vig is the explanation that makes the most sense since (a) there was only one night with two kills and (b) 11 players seems awfully small for 2 kills per night.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Max posted:

Blame a dead person
Make us think faux-bif is dead
Goes to the background.

Somberbrero posted:

as i went to check the night actions for my other game, i noticed that the fake mason doc was moved up in my recent items. there were more smilies posted during the night. i presume that was like, gloating, but the game is still going so i don't know what. but, i think that absolutely, definitively, must be max. if it's pera, gently caress this game and gently caress me. it has to be max.

Like with all due respect - why do we care who fake_bif is? What relevance do they have to finding the last scum in MYLO? That's not me be snarky, I'm genuinely curious if there's something I'm missing.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Murmur Twin posted:

Like with all due respect - why do we care who fake_bif is? What relevance do they have to finding the last scum in MYLO? That's not me be snarky, I'm genuinely curious if there's something I'm missing.

Hahaha but in the event that it is important, this just popped into my head:

I think that Max, Bif and I all keep to different schedules (EST, Australia, PST Graveyard) so if you think it's one of us you might be able to narrow it down based on when they posted.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Something popping out at me while re-reading Max:

Max posted:

A love letter I
Was mailed moved me to speak in
Haiku or suffer

I noticed that the night that the love letter happened was the same night that the second kill happened. There was no kill and no weirdness on N1 or N3.

Bif and I have claimed vanilla and Somber claimed mason, so that would limit it down to Asiina or Mithross doing it on the night they died. That said, another viable explanation could be that Max performed the second kill which in turn had something to the haiku'ing.

Max posted:

The person that gave me that PR, whomever they are, should know what just happened to me. It's not beneficial to mention in thread because it can be taken advantage of.

---

Something good would have happened for me if I had made it through the day while sticking to the Haiku rules.

At this point, just to rule out you lying to us -

(a) What was the boon you would have received?
(b) How could mentioning it in thread be taken advantage of?
(c) If you're not comfortable answering those questions, why not?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Somberbrero posted:

don't gently caress around with me max. let's just be- let's just be honest with each other now. okay?

---

like kudos on making it this far but you are not going to change my mind. i should have stuck on you yesterday.

---

as i went to check the night actions for my other game, i noticed that the fake mason doc was moved up in my recent items. there were more smilies posted during the night. i presume that was like, gloating, but the game is still going so i don't know what. but, i think that absolutely, definitively, must be max. if it's pera, gently caress this game and gently caress me. it has to be max.

I already kind of asked this I guess but how do you get from point A (smiley faces) to point B (the person posting these smiley faces is scum)?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

:f5:

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Bifauxnen posted:

Max if you're an "oracle", you haven't had any actions to take? You haven't been receiving any more dubious "hints"? You just got a more fanciful or confusing PM than everyone else and then that was it?

Max posted:

Just the mason information thing was part of the role. The PR seemed like it was caused by someone else's night action. I didn't get why I was being told about it until we saw that it was a flipless game. Buuuuuuut it wasn't true except for the thing with somber so I really don't know what the point of that was.

I feel like one of two things is happening here:

(a) Max is lying about his role, or at least withholding information.
(b) We're supposed to believe that pera made a role that is "Oracle, but you only get one piece of information, and it's not true".

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Max posted:

The person that gave me that PR, whomever they are, should know what just happened to me. It's not beneficial to mention in thread because it can be taken advantage of.

---

I would have been given nk protection that specifically would stop a juggernaut kill.

I got millered for loving up.

Hmm.

When I put myself in the shoes of how I would play if I were in Max's supposed shoes, I don't feel like his reactions are honest. If I got that love letter with those stipulations,

(a) I would have shared that I got a doc protect but not that it stops a juggernaut kill. It's an easy way to trick scum.
(b) I think I would have shared that I'm a miller so that the cop doesn't waste time copping me.
(c) If it was revealed to me on D2 that I have a chance to become a miller, that would tell me that there's a town cop somewhere and I think play very conscious of that. I'm trying to see if there's any indication that Max played like town who knew there's a cop in the game (like searching for breadcrumbs or seeing who is laying low or asking people to claim this late in the game) and not seeing anything.

Right now I'm feeling pretty suspicious of Max but I want to hear what Sandwolf has to say.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Murmur Twin posted:

Right now I'm feeling pretty suspicious of Max but I want to hear what Somber has to say.

Mafia edit

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Somberbrero posted:

like kudos on making it this far but you are not going to change my mind. i should have stuck on you yesterday.

Max posted:

I would have been given nk protection that specifically would stop a juggernaut kill.

I got millered for loving up.

Also this seems extremely convenient given that Somber is acting like he's sure you're scum.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

I just got home from the dispensary but am here :350:

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

poo poo I feel like it's Max or Somber - it feels like Max has been lying but the way Somber is just implying that he's sure we should vote Max and rushing us feels scummy.

Bif, what say you?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Somberbrero posted:

Sorta here.

Can you sell me on why you think Max is scum? I'm not going to just blindly throw the vote there without hearing reason so I'm just going to hope deadline floats long enough.

What was it about the masonry that makes you so sure about this?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

peramene posted:

oh oh oh wait

ahem

the deadline is in 36 minutes but it's ~*~floating~*~

make your choice, sluts

look at me I'm learning terms

If none of the players object, can we extend the deadline by a concrete amount? Like 3 hours or something? :palmon:

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Somberbrero posted:

Max has not had what i'd call any genuine moments this game. Everything from his content to claims feel fake.

Fair enough. I agree with this, but I want to give Max a proper chance to defend himself / Bif a chance to share her opinions.

Floating deadline is scary but I think we're less likely to lose because we no-lynch than we are to lose because we mislynch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Somberbrero posted:

If no one is gonna vote then let's just move it along.

Max isn't going to vote for himself and there's no point in my doing it if Bif isn't here yet.

• Locked thread