Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

Previous Thread

JP server: Ship 2

Chatplaces:
Discord Server: NolVac
IRC:#psobb on synirc.net (via Mibbit web irc client)

System Requirements:
code:
Item    	Operating environment
OS      	Windows Vista / 7/8.1/10 32bit / 64bit
CPU 	    	Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 or better
Memory  	2GB or more
HDD free space  40GB or more (NTFS format)
Monitor       	1280x720 or higher recommended
Graphics card   NVIDIA GeForce 7800GT / AMD RADEON HD2900XT or better
Sound card      DirectX compatible sound card (DirectX 9.0c or higher)
DirectX®        DirectX 9.0c or higher
Getting Started:
Official Client Download
While the game is installing/updating, which takes an unreasonably long time, work on these other things!
SEGAID website: Go here to register for a SEGAID account. (Google Translate will help you here, and use this to solve the captcha)
Go here to accept the Terms of Service so your account can login to PSO2
PSO2 Tweaker: A 3rd party launcher program you will need in order to install the English patches

Quick links:
Bumped.org delivers the latest PSO2 news!
Guide and Download for PSO2es, the mobile game! PSO2es works perfectly fine on any ISP, and is the easiest/cheapest way to buy ARKs Cash for the full game.
List of Error Codes, what they mean, and what you can do about them.
Item Affixing Simulator
Special Ability recipe spreadsheet I made
Symbol Art editor/creator

English Databases and Japanese wikis: (If you click an item (or select it with the arrow keys), you can hit CTRL+C to copy it to the clipboard, then search one of these places for it.)
PSO2 English Database
Visiphone wiki
http://pso2.swiki.jp/ probably the best database right now, but it's all in Japanese
http://pso2es.swiki.jp/ Japanese database for the mobile game

Phantasy Star Online 2 is the 3rd main game in SEGA's Sci-Fi Online Action RPG Franchise, converted from a single-player Turn-Based RPG series from the Master Drive / Genesis era. This game is free to download and play

Gameplay
The PSO series is known for being a lot more action-oriented than other Online RPGs; here you are not furiously right-clicking on enemies as fast as your character's attack speed stat would allow, hoping the enemy life bar depletes before your own, but rhythmically timing your button presses, and actively dodging or blocking enemy attacks. While this entry into the series was developed primarily for PC, it lends itself to play just as easily with a controller as with a mouse and keyboard; where the latter only has the advantage in menu shortcuts and using the subpallet (quickbar).

Parties and Multi-Parties
A normal party consists of 4 people, but most of the quests in the game have "Multi-Party Areas" where up to 12 players from multiple parties can play alongside each other.

Mags

Mags, for those not familiar with PSO, are little floating companion robots that you can feed weapons and items to. As you feed it, it gains stats that are in turn passed onto your character. As your Mag levels up, it begins to evolve new functions like occasionally attacking an enemy for you, or healing and buffing you and so on. Eventually your mag can produce a Photon Blast, a powerful attack that can be chained onto other player's PBs to increase their damage or effects. You only get one free mag per character, so be careful what you feed it!

Races:
Human :bahgawd:
The original race, creators of the CASTs and Newmans, they are more well rounded statistically.

Newman :anime:
Initially created by Humans as a forced next step of evolution, although really intelligent they came out rather physically frail, but now they co-exist peacefully with the rest of the ARKS. Basically space-elves.

CASTs :awesomelon:
Some CASTs were created as Androids, while others are Humans who were too frail to use their photonic abilities without augmentation. While physically strong, they are not the best using Techs. Basically wow cool robots.

Dewman :devil:
Some scientists took weird dragon fossils and jammed them into people for some reason; this resulted in the most anime race of them all. They are good at all offense, but lack in defense and still have more max HP than Newmans. Basically oni.

Racial/Gender stat modifiers:
code:
               	 HP S-ATK R-ATK T-ATK DEX S-DEF R-DEF T-DEF
human male     	105   104   103   100  105  105   100   100 
human female   	104   100   103   104  106  100   100   105 
newman male    	 95   100   102   108  104  100   105   100 
newman female  	 94   100   102   110  104  100   100   105 
cast male      	107   105   104    96  107  105   100    95 
cast female    	106   104   105    96  107  100   105    95 
dewman male    	 96   107   104   105  105  100   100   100
dewman female 	 95   106   105   105  106  100   100   100
You can basically get away with any Race/Gender/Class combination, so feel free to be that Robo-Mage you always wanted to be. or just make a dewman

Classes:
After you create your character, you can change your class anytime you are in the lobby at the class counter for no charge.

Hunter :hist101:
Hunters use large, slow weapons that hit hard or have good AoE. Hunters can use Swords, Partisans (spears) Wired Lances (think God of War meets Sonic Unleashed)
Hunter's skills boost striking damage primarily, but also can give a hearty boost to shooting damage. Meanwhile, Hunter also has a good amount of skills that boost your surviveability too! Overall Hunter makes a good subclass to almost any class
Ideal Subclass:

Ranger :hellyeah:
Rangers are a range-damage class that has a wide array of tools and ammunition for their weapons. Rangers have access to Assault Rifles, and Launchers
Ranger is about precise attacks with your assault rifle while using your launcher to clear out the crowds. Most of Ranger's skills only work with Shooting damage, so they don't make that good of a subclass to anything that deals primarily striking or tech damage.
Ideal Subclass:

Force :science:
Forces are typical mages who wield Technics (Spells) to deal elemental damage and inflict nasty status effects in the process. Forces can use Rods and Talis (throwing cards that change how some techs behave).
Force is the Go-to class for dealing damage with Techs. Most of their skills only work with Tech damage, so all it adds as a subclass is that you can act like a less-good Force.
Ideal Subclass:

Braver :japan:
Bravers wield the most Honorable Katanas and "Bullet Bows" in battle, giving them a fair amount of versatility to attack from any range.
Braver's skills include general damage boosts when you attack enemy weaknesses, and special active skills for Katana and Bows.
Braver lacks a generic Just Attack boost that isn't tied to their primary weapons, unlike hunter and fighter, so it's application as a subclass is limited.
Katana-focused or hybrid Subclass:
Bow-focused Subclass:

Bouncer :c00l:
Bouncer is a melee/magic hybrid class that uses Dual Blades and Jet Boots. Blades shred enemies to pieces, while boots are versitile and offer a lot of utility.
Bouncer has the same problems when used as a subclass that Braver has, in that most of the time Hunter or Fighter are simply better choices.
Ideal Subclasses:

Summoner :shittydog:
Summoners command their pets on the battlefield via their Tacts (conductor's baton).
The Pets are more of the weapon types of the class than the baton, and they are adding new pets every so often!
In most cases, Summoner doesn't make that good of a subclass. Though with the right Tact, you could use it to level up the classes you use for your Summoner subclass.
Ideal Subclasses:

These classes are not available from character creation, but you can change to them as soon as you reach the lobby:

Fighter :black101:
Fighters are a melee class that focuses on speed, skill, and maneuverability. Fighters can use Twin Daggers, Doublesabers, & Knuckles
Main class Fighters tend to focus on attacking the enemy from the front with Brave Stance, and use their Limit Break skill to push their damage even further beyond!
As a subclass, Most of fighter's skills work with all damage types; making it very versatile in this regard.
Ideal Subclass:

Gunner :commissar:
Gunners use their Twin Mechineguns to do crazy john-woo style action stuff. Gunners also have access to Assault Rifles as their Mechguns are more medium-short ranged weapons.
Gunner's skills work really well for TMGs, but have limited use on other ranged weapons.
Ideal Subclass:

Techer :flame:
Techers are front-line support mages. Their Wands can deal a tech-based explosion in melee combat, but can also use Talis if they need to.
While wand-explosions are pretty great for fighting groups of enemies, they have trouble fighting bosses on their own. Techers usually have to rely on something that their subclass gives them access to in order to fight bosses.
Bonk-focused Subclass: (sacrifices tech damage)
Not-Force Subclass: (sacrifices wand explosion damage)
Summoner-but-with-better-buffs-subclass: (is basically just summoner)
Spellswording Subclasses: (get a subclass that can do both)

New for Episode 5...

:temporary:Hero :madmax:
Hero is PSO2's first true Advanced Class, and uses Swords, Twin Machineguns, and Talis in brand new ways!
Requires Level 75 Hu, Fi, or Bo, Level 75 of Ra, Gu, or Br, and Level 75 of Fo, Te, or Su to unlock; the unlock is title-based, so you can do this across multiple characters if you want to.
Hero uses completely different Photon arts for it's weapons, with one of it's primary mechanics being PAs that will change which one you have equipped. While you could focus on a single weapon with Hero, it will truely shine when you learn to use all three.
Hero cannot be use, or be used as, a subclass.

NextTime000 fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Sep 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
2nd Post:

I might come back to this with some kind of beginner's guide once we get partway through Episode 5 and the dust starts to re-settle.

Rare Hunting explained:

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Luther Online 2: Revenge of Luther - Return of the Files & The Legend of the Material Storage: Reincarnated Into a Fantasy World?!

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

To anyone who actually wants to try this game: visit the discord. People are on it 24/7 and will be willing to help with even the most mundane grind, between EQs.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

New thread, new chance to post Sexy Drake.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Same but with the best character design in the game.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I tried this for a bit but the amount of bullshit you need to jump through to get everything working in english just wasn't worth it because even then large amounts still weren't translated. It's the kind of game you need to be unemployed or a young student to play because nobody else has the time to sink into learning the vast swaths of systems and features that are just straight up not explained, or poorly translated. The combat seemed fun though.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
I won't lie there's a ridiculous amount of esoteric systems in play on this game, and it helps a great deal to be familiar with its predecessors when diving in.

The translations are probably going to be largely incomplete for a bit as a big update hit (Episode 5 launched last night) and likely broke a lot of the older translations. Stay tuned.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

The translation is starting to get better as it's no longer three separate patches being ran by different teams, but instead one centralize system that's ran through the Tweaker. Nowadays anybody with the will power and free time can help contribute to the translation instead of having a bunch of asshats dictate where translation efforts should go.

Even if you run into something you don't understand you can pop into the discord and ask about it. There are at least three people on there that can read Japanese and can probably help you.

ALSO PRO TIP FOR ANY NEW PLAYERS: It's a good idea to patch the game with the actual launcher instead of the tweaker (Unless you're from the SEA region and depend on the proxy), because it's not a great piece of software and will often times gently caress things up like attempt to download 3 gigs of data when the actual patch is suppose to be only 44mb.

Combat Lobster fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jul 26, 2017

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
After messing around with Hero a bit that class seems pretty fun. I kept forgetting which weapon switch I had bound to which button though so rather than doing specific multi-weapon combos I just ended up switching to a random weapon and making do with that.
Hero Time seems like it takes ages to fully charge, in the few ARKs quests I did to knock out some client orders I didn't even get the bar half full. I haven't unlocked any of the skills that boost gear accumulation though so maybe they make a big difference.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

clone on the phone posted:

I tried this for a bit but the amount of bullshit you need to jump through to get everything working in english just wasn't worth it because even then large amounts still weren't translated. It's the kind of game you need to be unemployed or a young student to play because nobody else has the time to sink into learning the vast swaths of systems and features that are just straight up not explained, or poorly translated. The combat seemed fun though.
They are making more progress on the patch lately, but I will agree with you on the feature bloat of poo poo you gotta do that isnt fighting enemies. like I basically gutted most of it from the OP this time because it's just so much stuff, and then there is the fact that most of it isn't even relevant anymore; or has a really high chance of becoming irrelevant in the next half year

though out of everything they have added since launch, I don't think any system still comes close to item special ability transfers in terms of "it's basically chemistry"

NextTime000 fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 27, 2017

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
What sucks is that special ability transferring is the only system consistently kept in relevancy. The one that gives me the biggest headache.

I still use units from well over 3 years ago because I still haven't found enough 12* leg units to complete sets that warrant expending the effort into affixing a new set.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Reminder that the designers for the mobile game have no sense of shame whatsoever.
:nws: http://i.imgur.com/efheO0f.jpg :nws:

MR. J fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jul 28, 2017

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
Huh, looks like they went for trying to make a character more like what players wind up creating. :haw:

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
The Phantasy* of a Western RElease

Surprise Noodle
Aug 25, 2011

boho posted:

The Phantasy* of a Western RElease
The joke is that Episode 5 is themed on Western high-fantasy.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

You know that Gene 'outfit' will be in a scratch rotation very soon. :lolplant:

Ninogan
Apr 2, 2012

MR. J posted:

Reminder that the designers for the mobile game have no sense of shame whatsoever.
:nws: http://i.imgur.com/efheO0f.jpg :nws:

How do I get my hands on this obviously amazing game?

Kuai
May 25, 2004
still patiently waiting for the US release :coal:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Ah, should have known the loving Buddha would be a goon.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

Gyaru posted:

How do I get my hands on this obviously amazing game?

VPN to get past Google's region lock or find an .apk of the es tweaker that hosts the game's install and allows some translation patching. I take the piss out of it all the time, but it makes for a handy little portable sub class leveller, and is the easiest way for filthy gaijin to buy cash shop currency.

Kuai posted:

still patiently waiting for the US release :coal:
It's been five years, dude. It's not gonna happen.

MR. J fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Aug 4, 2017

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
After what happened with the PSU I just can't trust them to run separate regional servers. And since both the Taiwanese and Southeast Aisa PSO2 servers are both completely shut down now; after starting in Episode 2 content and never actually reaching Episode 3, I can only see the same fate for any other regional PSO2 server that may happen.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
PSA: The 5th anniversary event ends at maintenance, 10PM Eastern Time. Be sure to cram as many donuts down the throats of all of your characters before you log out so you can have 2 hours of 50% triboost running when we are all flailing around in Buster Quests tomorrow

NextTime000 fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Aug 8, 2017

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Oh, this is where the new thread is. Why's it in The MMO HMO? It's gonna be harder to get new players to join.

I'm headed with my friend to the Phantasy Star Thanks Festa in Tokyo tomorrow. There's not really much information on it I can find... But I assume it will be kind of like last year. Hopefully I won't miss all the good merchandise this time around.

I haven't played since a little before Deus Esca came out due to a combination of work, catching up on my game back log, and making a game, but I'll probably start again soon.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Get a picture of your hand holding a monomate next to the bathroom

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Oh, this is where the new thread is. Why's it in The MMO HMO? It's gonna be harder to get new players to join.

It's an mmo in the mmo subforum.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Shy posted:

It's an mmo in the mmo subforum.
it's about as much of a mmo as diablo; but I guess I put it here after all the extra mechanics they've been throwing in that you gotta track, and track which systems aren't even relevant anymore, and other stuff I'm kinda forgetting at the moment, on top of all the people still calling it an mmo anyway, made me finally decide to just put it in here anyway.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
It could just be for a different crowd. After four threads I guess the games forum was tapped?
I mean I guess if people are in this subforum they already know what they're getting themselves into. :v:

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
So apparently the next class' gimmick is granting the player the ability to turn into something like Falz Hunar, huh?

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I think it's just an ability we will all be able to do; like a photon blast, but dark, you see

either way we will need to wait for more details

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhdxGi_8018

I'll do a full writeup on the dev stream later, but here's the bumped.org rundown: http://bumped.org/psublog/pso2-station-11-recap/

NextTime000 fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 12, 2017

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
I already know this isn't the case from watching the video, but it'd be cool if that was Dewman only and this was the return of race special abilities from PSU. I liked being able a summon a giant cannon from space as a cast in that game.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

So the event was pretty fun. There wasn't a whole lot to do, but my friend and I watched some of the live stage stuff, take some pictures, and snag some merch. Unfortunately we arrived too late to get most of the cool stuff we wanted, but I got a mug with a shiny ARKS logo+mascot design, chat balloon sticky notes, action/technique/item icon keyboard stickers that I will probably never use, and a Debandrink. They sold both a Photon Drink and a Debandrink, but the PD was brown and I wanted something sweet. It ended up being a sports drink though, like Pocari Sweat. I didn't check to see if my defense was any higher than usual, but I assume it was.

The cosplay and crafts contests had already ended by the time we arrived but there were plenty of cosplayers of varying quality. A lot of them were cosplaying their own characters but there were a fair amount of people dressed as NPCs too, and even people in Rappy and Arkuma suits. Ones that stick out in my memory are a guy who had a Chainsawd replica that was rad as hell, and a Double cosplayer whose red sections were translucent and glowed from the inside. There was also a spot-on Luther, doing his poses and everything.

We went to the 2nd floor where there were places for each ship's members to meet up, along with a place to leave messaged and drawings and stuff. We only really talked to one person there but he was pretty friendly and was surprised to see players from the west. I accidentally gave my character name instead of player ID though so he's gonna end up having a tough time adding me to his friends list...

We were meeting a friend for dinner though, so we left before both the dark blast announcement and (to my dismay) the concert. If I'm still in Japan next year I'll be sure to arrive in the morning next time.

I didn't get many pictures but here's a few.

Hitlersaurus Christ fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Aug 13, 2017

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Ones that stick out in my memory are a guy who had a Chainsawd replica that was rad as hell,

Maidoll? :v:

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

MR. J posted:

It could just be for a different crowd. After four threads I guess the games forum was tapped?
I mean I guess if people are in this subforum they already know what they're getting themselves into. :v:

Hard to get new traffic to the thread if it's going to get consistently pushed to the second page. But then again mmohmo is pretty dead.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Jesus Christ this is still going. I have the Dark Falz music burned into my head from desperate grinding

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Esca Falz Mother haunts my dreams. We've come full circle.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Reminder that the English patch recently went open-source and you yes you can contribute to it through their git repo!

I yes I have been contributing a few things, in fact recently I redid (with a fair bit of help on some of the trickier stuff) the absolute disaster that was Chapter 1-EX, which now includes 100% less Gurren Lagann quotes and threatening to fire everyone. Here's a run of the Lisa route.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygT1Ar6tyak

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Dabir posted:

Reminder that the English patch recently went open-source and you yes you can contribute to it through their git repo!

I yes I have been contributing a few things, in fact recently I redid (with a fair bit of help on some of the trickier stuff) the absolute disaster that was Chapter 1-EX, which now includes 100% less Gurren Lagann quotes and threatening to fire everyone. Here's a run of the Lisa route.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygT1Ar6tyak

Oh god even the incidental character dialogue is translated. Last time I played every last scrap of that was untranslated so it was impossible to know what they were trying to tell you. That's amazing and is making me want to play again.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Can't take any credit for that, that was more recent so I didn't need to touch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
https://twitter.com/phantasystar/status/238420755602341888
happy 5th anniversary of this tweet :toot: