Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Finished the season, I felt it dragged a bit at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Would y'all call this a black comedy? I'm kind of predisposed to laugh at Jason Bateman doing deadpan straight man roles so it's hard for me to tell, I'm probably laughing at stuff I'm not supposed to.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

zoux posted:

Would y'all call this a black comedy? I'm kind of predisposed to laugh at Jason Bateman doing deadpan straight man roles so it's hard for me to tell, I'm probably laughing at stuff I'm not supposed to.

It is definitely darkly comedic, but I mean not all the time.

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

zoux posted:

I'd place it in the same genre as say Breaking Bad, and Fargo. Part crime drama, part family drama, part black comedy.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Just started watching this. drat it's good, why is no one talking about it?

Other than Stranger things this is (after the first two episodes at least) the best thing Netflix has produced in ages.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

It gets boring towards the end

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

I thought it stayed pretty strong, just the flashback episode added nothing and had no reason to exist

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Nah it ends strong and that episode rules

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
^^^ Flashback episode was amazing and one of the best examples of such in recent memory.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

I thought it was placed well, had it been at the beginning of the season or right away I would have been bored by it. By the time it hit I was actually interested in how the gently caress dude ever got into all this in the first place.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah exactly, if the "flashback" episode had been the actual first episode, it would have been a lot less interesting, but the placement of it in the episode order was perfect

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013
Was I the only one amused by the thought Rachel was the Mob Doctor in hiding? Yeah, probably just me...

Ruth was totally the stand-out character for me, found myself caring much more about what happened to her than anyone else.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I finished this season. It was fine, I guess. No idea at all why it's getting so much acclaim, there's nothing here that a lot of other shows don't do way better. The Breaking Bad x Justified comparison is good, except both those shows are far, far better than this one. Have to agree that the flashback episode was completely unnecessary, too.

I hope the second season opens with Drew from Scrubs' baby dying of pneumonia because he dunked him in a fuckin lake for ages and then kept him wrapped in the wet thing

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If you liked this check out Tin Star on Prime. Somewhat similar concept (dude moves his fam to a remote small town for reasons, things go to poo poo with the locals) but 3 episodes in and it's even better, Tim Roth is excellent in it.

kickascii
Mar 30, 2010
This is my favorite series that I've watched in a long while.

Early in the series where Bateman coldly calculates that his best move for the family is to fake his own death and collect insurance money really messed me up. He's going to commit suicide and is a 0% coward about it, he just ran the game theory in his head and came up with that as his best option. He doesn't lose his nerve at all: he just considers some more information that changes his calculations.

Someone mentions this earlier but the baptism really took me by surprise and was a great little scene of symbolism.

Speaking of symbolism, the scene of the daughter lingering on the bottom of the lake in the middle of the night was a real phoenix rising from the ashes moment when she finally bursts through the surface. Her entire arc was rejecting Ozark, denying her situation, trying desperately and stubbornly to resume her "old life," but her old life is gone. Her only option is to let her old self die and be reborn.

Ruth is so great - she is a young Jason Bateman. Basically moral, super smart, and very good at rationalizing a criminal life that was thrust on her. She gives up on her jail dad, and when she sets up that trap to murder her own uncle she couldn't scream "adopt me!!! I'm your real daughter!" any louder. When the daughter runs away and the mom and Ruth track her down at the Greyhound station, it's agonizing watching Ruth, she wants to be a part of the family so badly but they barely even give her a glance, she's always on the edge of the frame in the background.

The son is a real weirdo. Jason Bateman probably got into crime later in life as an adult, but the son is being raised in a crime family from a very young age. Who knows how his morale compass will develop? His speech in school where he refuses to sign that "against drugs" petition and rattles off all those stats in defense of the illegal drug business and its positive effects sounds like it could have come out of Bateman's mouth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I got less of the “wants to be adopted” vibe and more than she sees it as her only shot at getting out of deliverance hell and she’s determined to make sure it doesn’t get away from her.

• Locked thread