Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kickascii
Mar 30, 2010
This is my favorite series that I've watched in a long while.

Early in the series where Bateman coldly calculates that his best move for the family is to fake his own death and collect insurance money really messed me up. He's going to commit suicide and is a 0% coward about it, he just ran the game theory in his head and came up with that as his best option. He doesn't lose his nerve at all: he just considers some more information that changes his calculations.

Someone mentions this earlier but the baptism really took me by surprise and was a great little scene of symbolism.

Speaking of symbolism, the scene of the daughter lingering on the bottom of the lake in the middle of the night was a real phoenix rising from the ashes moment when she finally bursts through the surface. Her entire arc was rejecting Ozark, denying her situation, trying desperately and stubbornly to resume her "old life," but her old life is gone. Her only option is to let her old self die and be reborn.

Ruth is so great - she is a young Jason Bateman. Basically moral, super smart, and very good at rationalizing a criminal life that was thrust on her. She gives up on her jail dad, and when she sets up that trap to murder her own uncle she couldn't scream "adopt me!!! I'm your real daughter!" any louder. When the daughter runs away and the mom and Ruth track her down at the Greyhound station, it's agonizing watching Ruth, she wants to be a part of the family so badly but they barely even give her a glance, she's always on the edge of the frame in the background.

The son is a real weirdo. Jason Bateman probably got into crime later in life as an adult, but the son is being raised in a crime family from a very young age. Who knows how his morale compass will develop? His speech in school where he refuses to sign that "against drugs" petition and rattles off all those stats in defense of the illegal drug business and its positive effects sounds like it could have come out of Bateman's mouth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread