Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Sara
Claire
Sharon
Crow
Olivert
View Results

• Locked thread
OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I am seeing mentions of a Turbo mode !?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

OddObserver posted:

I am seeing mentions of a Turbo mode !?

I personally think that was a joke because lip flaps for a character got broken by 60 fps.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

havenwaters posted:

I personally think that was a joke because lip flaps for a character got broken by 60 fps.

Source would be the rpgsite review.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Nope.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
https://youtu.be/JsSuL-EN4w4?t=6645 Look at the top right corner here. Seems legit to me.

e: Haha wow.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Okay that's kinda great then. I missed the turbo mode in the corner.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/XSEEDGames/status/892783215970140160

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

They should backport turbo mode into the sky games so people can stop citing the slow combat as a barrier to entry.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
All I see in the steam page is "WHERES JAPANESE AUDIO"

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Game is up. Discount is not (thought there was going to be a 10% off one or something)

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

havenwaters posted:

Game is up. Discount is not (thought there was going to be a 10% off one or something)

I heard that as well.

Game's not on GoG yet, which is probably fine, since I'm at work for 10 hours.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Oh DLC for casual clothes, $2 per person. Oh well. Honestly sounds like the store page went live like 20 minutes too early.

edit: 10% discount is up now on the main game btw.

edit 2: Discount keeps turning on and off, yeah gonna just wait a little while

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Aug 2, 2017

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Tae posted:

All I see in the steam page is "WHERES JAPANESE AUDIO"

WE WANT THE GENUINELY INFERIOR DUB AND WE WANT IT NOW.

ITS NOT REAN COLDSTEEL IF HES NOT GIVING THE MOST BORED DISAFFECTING PERFORMANCE IN A JRPG EVER.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

:same:

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
Just a note - people might want to remember that Cold Steel is on the Humble Store as well (or, rather, it will be in about 10 minutes here it is!). Buying it from there means you get a Steam key, XSEED get a bigger cut of your money (I think), and you can give 5% of your purchase money to charity or back to your wallet. Especially worth remembering this if you're a Humble Monthly subscriber, since you get a further discount on the game too.

That said, buying the game on Steam pushes it up the Top Sellers bit, which presumably helps.

smenj fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 2, 2017

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Zaggitz posted:

WE WANT THE GENUINELY INFERIOR DUB AND WE WANT IT NOW.

ITS NOT REAN COLDSTEEL IF HES NOT GIVING THE MOST BORED DISAFFECTING PERFORMANCE IN A JRPG EVER.

Sounds like they made it easy to mod in anyway

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I hope we can mod in music because I forgot how eh trails 1 battle music is

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

quote:

Visuals and menus aside, the best addition to this release is the inclusion of Turbo Mode. And boy, I love Turbo Mode. A whole lot. Essentially, Turbo mode is a toggle that defaults to the Right Trigger / R2 of your controller and will speed the game up without compromising the music or voiceovers. If you've played the recently released Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age, the implementation is similar here. This trigger was selected as the button of choice because it does not have a standard purpose inside of battles or cutscenes: the areas where speeding ahead would likely be most beneficial. Grinding or crossing a large map area become a breeze and takes a fraction of the time with this option enabled.

The fact that dialogue is unaffected by this toggle means that even cutscenes can be watched when this is held down without the result sounding like a VHS tape on fast-foward. Even more neat, when holding the turbo mode toggle down during a battle, the implementation of this system is "smart" enough such that in battle it will automatically stop speeding things up when the link action prompt occurs. I would find myself go whole encounters without ever letting go of the trigger. Needless to say, I think Turbo Mode is a fantastic addition and playing without it enabled now feels like playing in slow motion.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Turbo mode literally is only there because of Nord highlands

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Tae posted:

I hope we can mod in music because I forgot how eh trails 1 battle music is

what the gently caress

Tae posted:

The Nord Highlands is awesome and people need to stop hating on it.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Why would you. Cold Steel has awesome battle music.

And yeah, the weebs have been out in full force on the Steam forums over the last couple of days. Hopefully the release and the creation of game-related threads will push their multiple soapbox-threads down the list now.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Tae posted:

I have heard things about this Nord highlands. I look forward to my computer choking on it with unlimited draw distance but I'm not compromising/turning it off because "gently caress it let's just do this"

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Tae posted:

Combat being too slow and full of unskippable animations was a pretty consistent complaint about the Sky games that people used Cheat Engine to get around. It's less relevant in Cold Steel since you can skip most of the animations in combat, but it's nice that it's been added as an in-built option this time. It's nice for getting around the Nord Highlands, sure, but I'd guess far more people are going to be using it in combat.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I said trails 1 because I vastly prefer trails 2 combat music. Trails 1 sounds kinda generic in comparison.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

http://xseedgames.tumblr.com/post/163720373505/loh-trails-of-cold-steel-pc-guest-blog-3-from

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
Final blog post from Durante about the port is up - this one regards the new turbo mode, as well as the fact that the game supports ultrawide aspect ratios!

EDIT: Or you could just click that link in the post above mine, instead.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Tae posted:

I said trails 1 because I vastly prefer trails 2 combat music. Trails 1 sounds kinda generic in comparison.

stop calling cold steel trails 1, it's like trails 6 my dude.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I like how Durante goes "Well, I'm not sure if xseed will spend money for this extra thing" for a game that added 5k extra voiced lines on a whim

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Glint of Cold Steel and Belief are top tier battle themes.

Heated Mind is fine, but not nearly as good.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
I've just noticed that there's a separate bundle for the DLC which isn't linked on the game's store page. I doubt anyone's all that interested in the DLC, but the bundle's 55% off compared to buying it all individually.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Tie a Link of Arcus debuts in CS1 and while the super arrange version in 2 is better its still a supremely baller track.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
They jacked up the price ten dollars more for Canada :canada:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Zaggitz posted:

Tie a Link of Arcus debuts in CS1 and while the super arrange version in 2 is better its still a supremely baller track.

Tie a Link is pretty good, but I prefer Don't be Defeated by a Friend as a sub-boss theme.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I'm almost ready to start Sky the 3rd, so I won't be jumping into this game right away, but I'll be interested in hearing how the mouse/keyboard controls are - most notably for the fishing and swimming minigames.

I've put together a Mini-guide to missables in Chapters 1 through 4. It's not complete because it's actually based only on Some Numbers's ongoing LP.

Justin_Brett posted:

Kinda, although $8 of that can at least be attributed to the exchange rate difference.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 2, 2017

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Tae posted:

And Anton.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Justin_Brett posted:

Yeah, it's kind of a bummer

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
That Turbo mode, along with all the other improvements, is seriously tempting me to double dip.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

So all 3 versions of the pc game are the same and are drm free per Durante on the neogaf thread.

Basically ends up meaning if you own it on steam and gog you can get achievements on both platforms with one playthrough since the game just looks for those clients running and reports stuff. If it does not see them it runs in a "whatever you bought the humble bundle version" mode.

Edit: also the other dlc not on the store/in that hidden 55% off bundle are all in the game (so shining pom dlc assuming that is a thing from the console versions is in).

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I'm almost ready to start Sky the 3rd, so I won't be jumping into this game right away, but I'll be interested in hearing how the mouse/keyboard controls are - most notably for the fishing and swimming minigames.

I've put together a Mini-guide to missables in Chapters 1 through 4. It's not complete because it's actually based only on Some Numbers's ongoing LP.

Kinda, although $8 of that can at least be attributed to the exchange rate difference.

https://psnprofiles.com/guide/3725-the-legend-of-heroes-trails-of-cold-steel-trophy-guide This is basically the go to guide for 100%. There's an equally comprehensive one for the sequel too.

• Locked thread