Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Sara
Claire
Sharon
Crow
Olivert
View Results

• Locked thread
Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Zaggitz posted:

https://psnprofiles.com/guide/3725-the-legend-of-heroes-trails-of-cold-steel-trophy-guide This is basically the go to guide for 100%. There's an equally comprehensive one for the sequel too.

Yep, this is the guide I've been using for my LP.

And will be using for my new playthroughs.

Has there been any news about getting PS3 save data to work with the PC version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
Bought, going to have a fiddle around and then hopefully in the next few days there'll be a clear save available. In case anyone from Xseed is looking at this thread - I literally bought this game because it has the Japanese text even though I bought it for both PS3 and Vita back in '13. Hoping for more releases where even if the voices aren't cleared then the script is still there.

I'm kind of interested in playing it without voice at all actually, as I think the Japanese version of Rean's voice actor makes him sound really flat and aloof which definitely isn't the impression I see from people who've played in English.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 20 minutes!
Taco Defender

Zaggitz posted:

https://psnprofiles.com/guide/3725-the-legend-of-heroes-trails-of-cold-steel-trophy-guide This is basically the go to guide for 100%. There's an equally comprehensive one for the sequel too.

Thanks. I do know there are other, better guides. I only started putting one together when re-watching some of the LP videos, with the idea of keeping all the missables in order, just for my own personal reference, because it was easier than re-watching the videos.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Random question - do we know if the new voiced lines are all main scenario or did they also voice the Bonding Events?

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
I love that the achievement symbol for 1 Million Mira (International Bank of Rean) is Elliot serving you Egg Soup.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

CVE posted:

I love that the achievement symbol for 1 Million Mira (International Bank of Rean) is Elliot serving you Egg Soup.

holy poo poo that is perfect

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Trails in the Couch is Olivert on a couch with a Vita. :allears:

All the artwork for the achievements is top notch.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

Trails in the Couch is Olivert on a couch with a Vita. :allears:

I missed the "a" before Vita on a first read and was *very* confused.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

OddObserver posted:

I missed the "a" before Vita on a first read and was *very* confused.

You know Olivert would be totally cool with that and Vita probably would too.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I haven't played any of these yet, and I'm super-confused on the intended order- are the Cold Steel games sequels to the Trails in the Sky trilogy (meaning I should play those first), or are sky/steel completely unrelated spinoffs by the same studio?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

They're technically sequels but you really don't need to know anything about Trails in the Sky going in.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Really Pants posted:

They're technically sequels but you really don't need to know anything about Trails in the Sky going in.

Will the experience be improved by sequential play? I own all four on PC, and intend on getting around to them all, but the art style of cold steel looks awesome, and I've had an awful lot of trouble getting into the first trails in the sky's slow burn at the start.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Don't suppose there's an easy thing to give me ALL of the NG+ points so I can just start where I left off on Vita.

Omi no Kami posted:

Will the experience be improved by sequential play? I own all four on PC, and intend on getting around to them all, but the art style of cold steel looks awesome, and I've had an awful lot of trouble getting into the first trails in the sky's slow burn at the start.

Sort of? You absolutely need to play each sequential series in their order, but playing the overall series is less relevant.

Of course, with info of ToCS3 trickling out, that's gradually telling us to piss off more and more, particularly with the characters from the "we literally cannot play this now" second series.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Omi no Kami posted:

Eh only in that you'll recognize a couple last names and one of the characters later on. Of course this kinda works both ways since you'll recognize that stuff again when you go back to Trails in the Sky.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Omi no Kami posted:

I could see it working either way tbh

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Omi no Kami posted:

Personally, I think so - Cold Steel references some things from the Sky games, and while they're largely throwaway references that are little more than small nods to the previous games, there is one major thing from SC that the Cold Steel games spoil, but it's nothing huge in the grand scheme of things. Just a cool reveal that you'd see coming in advance rather than being surprised by it. If you're enjoying the Sky games well enough then you may as well finish them first before trying Cold Steel, I'd say. However, since you're saying you're having real trouble getting into FC, you may just want to go ahead and try Cold Steel anyway. There's only the one major plot point that gets spoiled, and they're perfectly good jumping-in points otherwise. There's even some stuff in Trails 3rd that foreshadows lots of Cold Steel, which is all cool to see in retrospect.

I'd just say that although you think FC is slow to start, Cold Steel 1 is hardly devoid of pacing problems either. It's quite a bit too long in my opinion, and really drags at times, though it's still a great game overall. All I mean is that if you're hoping to jump into a faster-paced game by going straight for Cold Steel, you won't necessarily get it.

smenj fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 2, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
As someone that couldn't really get into Sky because of slow play, I got into Cold Steel way more because 1) it's more modern with good voice acting and 2) you get a almost a full roster team immediately wheras Sky has you 2-3 party for quite a long while.

Also as someone that largely played Cold Steel as standalone, it tells you gently caress off if you never heard of the Crossbell saga which is every english fan's problem.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

smenj posted:

I'd just say that although you think FC is slow to start, Cold Steel 1 is hardly devoid of pacing problems either. It's quite a bit too long in my opinion, and really drags at times, though it's still a great game overall. All I mean is that if you're hoping to jump into a faster-paced game by going straight for Cold Steel, you won't necessarily get it.

Weirdly enough, I haven't found FC slow yet, so much as I find it overwhelming; thus far there have been a massive number of state changes between each plot beat, to the point that I feel like I can basically run around town and get new content for tons of NPCs that isn't vital to the plot, but which I want to get. So it always turns into a huge-seeming endeavor that requires a certain mood to play and really enjoy without rushing through. ^^

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Yeah, Cold Steel naturally spoils stuff from Sky just due to the fact that they are in the same geographical location and the story is as much about Zemuria as whatever is happening in a given game. But holy poo poo are the Crossbell and Erebonia games tied up together. Frankly I'm surprised they aren't all apart of the same subtitle.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

The reason to play in order is that when characters from early arcs show up in later ones you get to go "oh poo poo it's my boy" and be excited about it instead of wondering who they are

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Lowkey best improvement: the experience bar increases a lot faster. Yes you could skip it but I enjoy watching them.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

lets hang out posted:

The reason to play in order is that when characters from early arcs show up in later ones you get to go "oh poo poo it's my boy" and be excited about it instead of wondering who they are

You could still do some of that if you played Cold Steel before Sky; just not as much.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I want to do it as much as possible

Nereidum
Apr 26, 2008

Some Numbers posted:

Has there been any news about getting PS3 save data to work with the PC version?

I took a quick look at the save files and compared them with my decrypted PS3 save files. Unfortunately, there's one major roadblock (and maybe a few minor ones). The PS3 has a big-endian CPU, while PCs are little-endian, and the save files seem to follow the CPU's endianness. To get a PS3 save to work in the PC version, you'd have to reverse the order of the bytes for each individual value that's greater than one byte long, which requires you to know how many bytes long each value is. It might be possible to figure this out for at least some of the data by comparing a save from each version at the very beginning of the game, but that might not be a foolproof solution, since a lot of the data might just be all zeroes at the start of the game. I might take a look at it a bit more tonight to see if there's any hope of getting it to work.

The PC version's save files also appear to be slightly smaller, but I haven't had time to try and figure out what or where the difference is.

Also, it looks like there's an additional file in the PC version that may keep track of which save slots are in use, so that might also have to be edited to get it to make use of a save file that it didn't produce itself (not sure about this, though).

Finally, I'm not exactly sure how it'll handle the game clear saves yet (though I have a guess). The saves are all numbered, and the numbers seem to have some meaning. In the PS3 version, regular saves were in the range 000-099, clear saves started at 100, and 255 was used for the system data. Since the PC version now gives you 400 slots (numbered 000-399), I'm guessing the clear saves probably start at 400, since the system data is now 511.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

If not, it's not a big deal, I was just hoping to not have to play through the game two more times to use the PC version for my LP.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Omi no Kami posted:

Weirdly enough, I haven't found FC slow yet, so much as I find it overwhelming; thus far there have been a massive number of state changes between each plot beat, to the point that I feel like I can basically run around town and get new content for tons of NPCs that isn't vital to the plot, but which I want to get. So it always turns into a huge-seeming endeavor that requires a certain mood to play and really enjoy without rushing through. ^^

To be honest, Cold Steel does exactly the same thing, as do the rest of the Trails games outside of TC, so that aspect isn't really going to change.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Omi no Kami posted:

If you've already started Sky theres no reason not to keep on that trilogy till its done and then jump on Cold Steel then. Trails in the Sky 3rd in particular has a bunch of worldbuilding that exists solely to set up some key points in Cold Steel in advance.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I like Cold Steel but man the Nord Highlands are a massive drag.

Great music though.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

If not, it's not a big deal, I was just hoping to not have to play through the game two more times to use the PC version for my LP.

Maybe you can use Cheat Engine to fake the points on the NG+ menu?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Zaggitz posted:

If you've already started Sky theres no reason not to keep on that trilogy till its done and then jump on Cold Steel then. Trails in the Sky 3rd in particular has a bunch of worldbuilding that exists solely to set up some key points in Cold Steel in advance.

Also bear in mind that the way these games tend to handle things is to give you a slower pace first game that lets you soak in the world and the characters in it before going buckwild in the second installment now that you are invested.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Kirios posted:

I like Cold Steel but man the Nord Highlands are a massive drag.

Great music though.

We've got Turbo Mode for that stuff now. :pcgaming:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

lets hang out posted:

Yeah this is the main reason to play all the games, eventually.

And also: there is not a significant difference between the quality of the Sky games vs. the Cold Steel games. There are obviously QOL improvements in CS and and it looks prettier, but playing Sky 3rd a few months ago solidified for me that all of the Trails games are excellent.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Separating the artes into attack/support/heal is such a QoL that's hard to not have for me.

Seeing xbox prompts is going to get a little bit used to.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Probably gonna end up double dipping on ToCS since it's so cheap in my Steam region and Turbo Mode means I can blast through it in record time.

Any news of CS2 PC?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Ojetor posted:

Any news of CS2 PC?

XSeed announced it at the same time as CS, so it's coming eventually.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I hope it's soon cause a lot of people will be pissed when they beat CS1

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

so many frames and pixels

and they all load so fast

I can't handle this

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Hahaha, Munk is hanging out at the entrance of Radio Trista right before the orientation.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
bought this dumb anime game i already own and havent played, solely to increase the odds i will be able to buy more dumb anime games that i will also probably not play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Time to see how bad my computer (gtx 1070, i5-3550) hates things when I turn it all to max at 2560x1440 and turn off the framerate limiter.

I'm sure everything will be fine and using the unlimited framerate won't break things horribly like in valkyria chronicles. (Yeah I'm expecting poo poo to break)

edit: I mean between it running at 144hz, g-sync doing it's thing, and other stuff something'll probably give. Maybe I'll get lucky though.

edit 2: menu is hard to control at 144 fps so back to 60 with v-sync it is. Also may need to turn stuff down a bit the opening cutscene was at 45 with the tanks firing on each other.

edit 3: 4xMSAA and high quality DoF off and now the framerate is back to 60 during that bit it was 44 during.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 2, 2017

• Locked thread