Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Sara
Claire
Sharon
Crow
Olivert
View Results

• Locked thread
MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Coughing Hobo posted:

This port is so smooth aaaaaaaahhhhhh I have only two complaints about it, but both of which were solved with external programs already on my computer, anyway:

1) Borderless windowed. Borderless Gaming with it auto-detecting the Cold Steel process fixed that.

2) When using my Dualshock controller, anything that wasn't a cardinal direction on my left thumbstick would make Rean walk instead of run. Switched over to using DS4Windows, and that fixed it. Not entirely sure this is the fault of the game, but I have a workaround, I'm not gonna look a gifthorse in the mouth.

Durante should get some kind of award for this effort, because god drat

Problem 1 was probably already solved. Fullscreen mode in the launcher is borderless fullscreen mode. There's no exclusive fullscreen. It does pause the game when it loses focus though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
me only real complaint is there straight-up aren't any resolution options for 16:10, which is weird since every other game just solves it by putting black borders at the top and bottom so that it's just not changing your entire monitor resolution, but for this if i want to play in fullscreen it changes my entire monitor res to 1600x900, which looks fine in-game but makes everything else look weird if i want to alt+tab

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 3, 2017

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

You could try manually changing the resolution in the settings file. It's in appdata --> local ---> TrailsofColdSteel1 ---> settings.xml.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
no can do, the game isn't programmed to letterbox it so that just makes it squeeze in cutting off the left and right edges of the screen, and if i try to tab out i get stuck on a white screen

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

The Colonel posted:

no can do, the game isn't programmed to letterbox it so that just makes it squeeze in cutting off the left and right edges of the screen, and if i try to tab out i get stuck on a white screen

Well that sucks. I'm surprised Durante missed 16:10 but got ultrawide to work.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/XSEEDGames/status/893193505756938240

lol

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
I love how engaged the English voice actors are with the project.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

is this balanced well for taking on hard in a first playthrough?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

baram. posted:

is this balanced well for taking on hard in a first playthrough?

i've gotten a ways into chapter 1 on hard and it seems to be fine, some enemies can loving wreck your party if you let them get a hit in but you've got a lot of crafts to delay enemies and arts to wipe them out fast and bosses are pretty beefy but they don't just spontaneously destroy your party, and boss health making fights a bit longer isn't too bad with turbo mode since it also auto-skips attack animations

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It depends on how fast you upgrade your gear and equip the right items to prevent status effects, because Trails 1 money conversion is pretty bad.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Tae posted:

Trails 1

I am begging you with all my soul to stop this.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
he's not going to stop

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The Colonel posted:

he's not going to stop

it's like if someone started going around calling megaman x "megaman 1"

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Or Sands of Time Prince of Persia 1.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Zaggitz posted:

it's like if someone started going around calling megaman x "megaman 1"

megaman 10-1

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
id recommend playing both cold steel games at hard, minimum. cs2 can be done on nightmare but i wouldnt recommend a fresh nightmare run of cs1.

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.
Yeah, I played all the way through CS1 on hard on PS3 and I enjoyed the hell out of it. It actually makes you pay attention to and exploit status effects since pretty much every boss has either a weakness or something that they don't completely resist. Granted it does suck when you eat an S craft that can pretty much wipe out your whole party later on, but by that point you've got so many combat options that you can either lower the boss's damage or buff your defenses enough that you can pretty much only die to a bad RNG roll or your own inattention to the rhythm of the fight.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

My fresh Nightmare run has been pretty fun so far. I do have basically limitless money and bonding points, but I balance that out by banning skills that reflect or negate damage, as well using limited amounts of S-Crafts and AT Delay.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

http://steamcommunity.com/app/538680/discussions/0/1471967615843483293/

quote:

Version 1.1 (Build 2011989) patch notes
Hello everyone!

I hope you are enjoying the game. If you are affected by some issue, I'm happy to announce that version 1.1 of the game just went online, which includes fixes to many of the more common problems encountered, as well as some new features based on feedback from the community.

It includes the following changes.

Bug fixes

Fix text rendering corruption issue when button prompts are displayed on some systems
Fix Depth of Field issue in cutscenes on Intel GPUs with MSAA enabled
Do not close the game when Alt+F4 is pressed and another program has the focus
Fixed some minor text issues

New Features:

Added an option to skip all movies
Added configurable speedup factors for Turbo mode
(separate factors for battle and field exploration are possible)
Added a "Mouse Sensitivity" option to the mouse / keyboard configuration menu
(also reworked mouse camera controls to eliminate acceleration)

Note:
If you encoutner any new issues with this version, you can revert to the previous version (1.0) by right-clicking the game in your Steam library, selecting "Properties", then selecting the "BETAS" tab, and chosing "version_1.0" in the drop-down menu.

Enjoy! We will continue to do our best to resolve any issues and improve the game further.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

For anyone using cheat engine for unlimited bonds, don't. I pretty much lost my playthrough because there's a mandatory Use Up All Bonds (before midterms) and the game literally can't continue because of this.

I even tried fixing it by putting bonds to 0 afterwards but the game internally still has it as above 1, and you go from rainy schoolyard to sunshine trista if you try to continue.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Tae posted:

For anyone using cheat engine for unlimited bonds, don't. I pretty much lost my playthrough because there's a mandatory Use Up All Bonds (before midterms) and the game literally can't continue because of this.

I even tried fixing it by putting bonds to 0 afterwards but the game internally still has it as above 1, and you go from rainy schoolyard to sunshine trista if you try to continue.

If you're using cheatengine you should be making a new save like every 10 minutes. Not like you have a limited number of slots

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I have to admit I'm mostly looking forward to the sequels. CS2 has a ton of characters that I'm hoping will get voices--Rean's parents, S, V, the Emperor and Empress, so many others.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I finally solved that weird speedup issue the game does with the battle music. If you straight up use a song into WAV, it speeds up but for whatever reason, converting a MP3 into WAV prevents that.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

http://steamcommunity.com/app/538680/discussions/0/1471967615839359790/ clear saves itt if you want max bonding points

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Just bought it from gog, I'll download it over WiFi next week. Is any of the downloadable content worth paying for?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Billzasilver posted:

Just bought it from gog, I'll download it over WiFi next week. Is any of the downloadable content worth paying for?

its just costumes, wait for a bundle sale.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
GOG also has a Shining Pom bait pack, which is essentially 27 free level-ups. (killing a shining pom in Cold Steel gives each party member a guaranteed level-up, no more, no less) It's overkill though since experience scales, characters not in your active party frequently rejoin at set levels and the base game should have a few free Shining Pom bait items as is. So it's not really worth the price.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
They're kind of necessary if you want to hit level 80 for the maximum carry over for CS2.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
What's the keyboard prompt for the menu?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Justin_Brett posted:

What's the keyboard prompt for the menu?
The defaults are:
E (Camp Menu, Triangle on the ps3 controller), Spacebar (The Map, start on the ps3 controller), and Q (Note menu, select on the ps3 controller)

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 5, 2017

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Thank you.

Does Rean's turning feel a little weird to anyone else? Seems like he briefly comes to a complete halt whenever you do it for like a half-second.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Justin_Brett posted:

Thank you.

Does Rean's turning feel a little weird to anyone else? Seems like he briefly comes to a complete halt whenever you do it for like a half-second.

are you using a ds4

the way the engine handles diagonal movement on dinput controllers is weird and has been an issue since the original ps3 release, only way around it is to use ds4windows and toggle "hide ds4 controller" to fake using an xbox one

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Machias seems like the Wakka of this game.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Justin_Brett posted:

Machias seems like the Wakka of this game.

Nah Wakka hates Al Bhed several times more than Machias hates Nobles.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

The Colonel posted:

are you using a ds4

the way the engine handles diagonal movement on dinput controllers is weird and has been an issue since the original ps3 release, only way around it is to use ds4windows and toggle "hide ds4 controller" to fake using an xbox one

If it happens on a non-ds4 like it did for me you can also go into steam's advanced controller configuration and change the stick from linear to aggressive.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like machias, i just wish he'd chill out a bit which he probably will on this field trip

also drat i was surprised when draw distance had like zero performance impact despite my really mediocre old cpu and i tried turning up a bunch of the shadow options and this game is still running buttery smooth, and my pc loving sucks. what is this magic

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

The Colonel posted:

also drat i was surprised when draw distance had like zero performance impact despite my really mediocre old cpu and i tried turning up a bunch of the shadow options and this game is still running buttery smooth, and my pc loving sucks. what is this magic
"The best PC port of a JRPG of all time."

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I know it's not exactly Uncharted 4 or Rise of the Tomb Raider but it's still tripping me out to see CS look this good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Well it took a day, but I managed to get back to my original save in a day. Thanks, turbo mode.

Is there a list of which wav files are which for VA, because I kinda wanna tekken 7 this and have random people speak japanese while others still talk in english.

• Locked thread