Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Sara
Claire
Sharon
Crow
Olivert
View Results

• Locked thread
NotASmartMan
Jul 28, 2017
I got very busy and couldn't start playing until today. Decided to go for NG Nightmare. Early game has been rough, it's wreck or be wrecked. Weird not having all the tools I'm used to. Used Gaius as an evasion tank, forgetting Insight barely lasts and I can't refresh with Shining yet. That was an embarrassing death. Elliot has been MVP so far.

And seeing everyone pre-character development, it's amazing how different the characters are. Machias especially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Some Numbers posted:

They're kind of necessary if you want to hit level 80 for the maximum carry over for CS2.

HOW necessary? Because there's flat-out no way I'm buying the bait.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Just got to Sara's new jackass line.

I hope there's a list for all the new lines soon.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

max carryover is just a bit more money and sepith when you start a crossover game, don't stress about it too much. All you really want is the max AP reward.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

The Colonel posted:

i like machias, i just wish he'd chill out a bit which he probably will on this field trip

also drat i was surprised when draw distance had like zero performance impact despite my really mediocre old cpu and i tried turning up a bunch of the shadow options and this game is still running buttery smooth, and my pc loving sucks. what is this magic

The phenomenal cosmic power of Durante.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Generously, you'll hit roughly 65-67 at the end of the game with a moderate amount of grinding.

Now, the difference in the carry over bonus between 70 and 80 is 200 of each sepith and a Saintly Force, so it's not mandatory, but it's also not nothing.

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
It's not that hard to edit someones level exp with cheat engine.

Remove pom bait, get cheating.

Quartz exp is even easier.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Also, when it comes to bond points, instead of cheating an unlimited amount, I've been looking up a guide and setting my total to match however many bonding scenarios are available at any given time, and thus far I haven't run into any problems.

I also keep a separate save from before I start going through those, just in case.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I would put a note somewhere in the OP to just use the speedrun save file and just transfer the Bonds bonus because it gives you enough points for everything. Much safer than Cheat engine, also you get access to a couple new game plus exclusive scenes right away.

Also smaller benefit is that it shows you the hidden supports like Towa on the map.

edit: Got to the dreaded Nord. Second time is pretty painless when you turn 4 minute trips across empty fields into 20 seconds.

Tae fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Aug 6, 2017

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
On the first Field Study day. Saw a certain someone that's totally Bleublanc. This is going to be great. :allears:

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.
Ugg man, spent the first hour trying to figure out why my controller wasn't working in this - turns out it just doesn't like having multiple gamepads connected, and I had a vjoy virtual gamepad running.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

The carry-over is two-tiered. Part of it depends on Rean's level. Part of it depends on your final AP rank.

Level:
Level 69 or lower: Sepith x 100 (All Colors), Attack 1, Zeram Powder
Level 70 - 79: Sepith x 300 (All Colors), Attack 1, Soul Blur, Zeram Powder
Level 80 or higher: Sepith x 500 (All Colors), Attack 1, Soul Blur, Saintly Force, Zeram Powder

A0 Golden Emblem HP +1000, EP +100, STR /DEF /ATS /ADF +10
A1 Silver Emblem HP +500, EP +50

You might be able to make it to 70 by saving the free shining pom bait for just before crossing the threshold to the boss at the end of the final dungeon. 500 sepith IS useful at the start, but Saintly Force isn't. It's not a rare variety, so it gives you no stat bonus and the spell Saintly Force, Single-target 50% Str and Def for 5 turns, isn't particularly useful since it's too expensive to spam early on and Rean starts out with his +25% Str boosting Motivate craft from the first game.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Bought and downloading this game right now on my embarassingly expensive PC, I am ready to crush the graphics settings at maximum! I hope I can deal with the slow burn story better than TitS. Will probably try playing without a guide to hopefully make things faster/less obsessive.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

One thing I hated about TiTs is that sidequests wouldn't cancel when the chapter ends, but when you make a tiny bit of progress within the chapter. Is this series any more lenient?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

One thing I hated about TiTs is that sidequests wouldn't cancel when the chapter ends, but when you make a tiny bit of progress within the chapter. Is this series any more lenient?
The points where sidequests will end are way more obviously delineated. The game will tell you when sidequests will cancel, and the basic structure of the game is some NPC giving you a list of quests with 1-2 mandatory ones and 2-3 optional ones, and the game will continue past that point when you turn in the mandatory ones.

There's a few more hidden sidequests but they rarely give you anything important and they're pretty obviously meant to be done as soon as you find them.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Having unimportant NPCs be voiced as well is pretty funny when you suddenly hear Crow moonlighting as a Provincial Army Soldier at Aurochs Fort.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Inspector Gesicht posted:

In addition to cut-off points being made clear, the hidden sidequests are more predictable. (there's always one in the evening on each free day and always one on each field study) Also, at the end of each chapter, you get a tally and a mark. If it's "S", you know you got every point there was to get. Otherwise, you know you missed something. Rare books you missed can be picked up at the pawn shop at times.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Erpy posted:

In addition to cut-off points being made clear, the hidden sidequests are more predictable. (there's always one in the evening on each free day and always one on each field study)

What the gently caress?!

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
If you missed one already, it's because you failed to play by the universal Trails rule...talk to everyone every time the dialogue changes.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Instructor Sara is great :neckbeard:

Also, the first three guys comparing weapons under the school house:
:awesome:
:dong: :japan:
:dong: :vuvu:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Erpy posted:

If you missed one already, it's because you failed to play by the universal Trails rule...talk to everyone every time the dialogue changes.

Nah, I've beaten CS1 and just have to force myself through the final dungeon of 2 after FC (no computer so I can't play Third), I just didn't know there was a specific time for them or I would have dropped my Nightmare New Game+ rule for at least the school ones.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

"Mr Thornton, we're putting Trails of Cold Steel on PC, could you reprise your role as Baron Bleublanc for some more lines?"
"HAHAA"

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
He must have had so much fun recording his lines, it's fantastic.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Terper posted:

"Mr Thornton, we're putting Trails of Cold Steel on PC, could you reprise your role as Baron Bleublanc for some more lines?"
"HAHAA"

I'm excited to hear him and all the cool npcs who end up voiced in the sequel. Also excited to hear the ones who got downgraded get their voices back in 2.

Patrick...

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Do dead teammates gain EXP? I revived him just in case though.

Sara cracks me up after playing Persona 5

poe meater fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Aug 6, 2017

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I don't think they do, no.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I remember Rean leveling up after he died during battle?

Done with Nord. Wow, that awful place is so much better now with turbo. I finished the whole section in like 2 hours.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

You're right, I remember now. Party members won't get credit for any enemies that got dropped while they were out.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Once again going to broadcast my unpopular opinion: the Nord Highlands are awesome and one of the best parts of Cold Steel.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Okay, explain to me why taking 10 minutes to travel from watch tower to nord village for every individual sidequest is enjoyable and not tedious

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

Tae posted:

Okay, explain to me why taking 10 minutes to travel from watch tower to nord village for every individual sidequest is enjoyable and not tedious

The aesthetics and music, unironically.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Nord Highlands is a good example falcom's ambition crashing facefirst into their budget and manpower.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Tae posted:

Next you're going to tell me that Shadow of the Colossus is a bad game because of how long it takes to get to each Colossus.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Chapter 2 boss done :toot: Rearranging my MQs to spread out the multi-target STR/DEF/SPD buffs made it way easier than it was on Hard when I first played. I even managed to end it with a Jusis/Machias Link Strike for that extra flair.

e: oh my god this newly voiced NPC rrrrreally rrrrrolls his rrrrrs

Terper fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 6, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Next you're going to tell me that Shadow of the Colossus is a bad game because of how long it takes to get to each Colossus.

If you had to manually report back to the home base and can't start any other colossus quests until then, yes most people would suddenly call that game very tedious.

Did you say it was a mistake when they added fast travel to CSII?

Like, Nord itsef, the story, is fine. The doing of all the sheep quests or pizza quest or picking up a Red book for what's basically an empty field space for long periods of time is just tedious for no reason other than padding.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

love a well rolled r

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Tae posted:

Did you say it was a mistake when they added fast travel to CSII?

I did not, but it was a mistake to remove the Nord Highlands' music, which more or less negates it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hatsuu, why did you have the entire swimming scene after Nord voiced.

Crazy person.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Tae posted:

Hatsuu, why did you have the entire swimming scene after Nord voiced.

Crazy person.

Hatsuu moves in mysterious ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Hello the boss in the Prologue was actually pretty interesting for a first boss. (Spoilers needed?)Like I never expect a first boss go through multiple phases, and heal itself, and change its damage resistance properties.

Playing on Hard, by the way.

• Locked thread