Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Sara
Claire
Sharon
Crow
Olivert
View Results

• Locked thread
Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Also, no, there's no dual audio. XSeed tried, but wasn't allowed to use the Japanese voices due to the actors or agencies using Asia-only contracts. But XSeed put A LOT of effort into properly directing the voice recordings and it shows. People familiar with both voicetracks (and fluent enough in Japanese to properly compare the two) have mentioned the English dub is definitely on par with the Japanese voices. So lay down the torches and pitchforks, ya weaboos.

Also, the Japanese voice actor portraying protagonist Rean was apparantly very expensive and somewhat of a prima donna, so either he couldn't make time to record all of Rean's Japanese lines or Falcom couldn't afford them. As a result, in the console versions, Rean is frequently unvoiced in cutscenes that do have voice acting for other characters. XSeed offered to fill in the blanks in the console version, but Falcom didn't want to make the required changes to the code. With them having complete control over the PC version, XSeed has fixed up the "Silent Rean" problem by recording additional lines and inserting them into the cutscenes where other characters are voiced. This eliminates a rather jarring issue the console versions had. XSeed also added voices for characters who are voiced in the sequel, but not in the first game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Charlie Bobson posted:

should i buy this game again even though i haven't beaten it on vita yet, or beaten sky sc or 3rd?

make my decisions for me, thread

(Also having only finished the first trails in the sky game, these games own bones and anyone on the fence should hop on this poo poo immediately.)

This version is better than the Vita version, not just because of the added voice acting, but also because it performs much, much better. The game suffered frequently slowdowns and FPS hiccups on the vita. The PC version is said to run at a steady 60 FPS and has less loading time than the Vita version to boot.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Why would you. Cold Steel has awesome battle music.

And yeah, the weebs have been out in full force on the Steam forums over the last couple of days. Hopefully the release and the creation of game-related threads will push their multiple soapbox-threads down the list now.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
I love how engaged the English voice actors are with the project.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Or Sands of Time Prince of Persia 1.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
GOG also has a Shining Pom bait pack, which is essentially 27 free level-ups. (killing a shining pom in Cold Steel gives each party member a guaranteed level-up, no more, no less) It's overkill though since experience scales, characters not in your active party frequently rejoin at set levels and the base game should have a few free Shining Pom bait items as is. So it's not really worth the price.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

HOW necessary? Because there's flat-out no way I'm buying the bait.

The carry-over is two-tiered. Part of it depends on Rean's level. Part of it depends on your final AP rank.

Level:
Level 69 or lower: Sepith x 100 (All Colors), Attack 1, Zeram Powder
Level 70 - 79: Sepith x 300 (All Colors), Attack 1, Soul Blur, Zeram Powder
Level 80 or higher: Sepith x 500 (All Colors), Attack 1, Soul Blur, Saintly Force, Zeram Powder

A0 Golden Emblem HP +1000, EP +100, STR /DEF /ATS /ADF +10
A1 Silver Emblem HP +500, EP +50

You might be able to make it to 70 by saving the free shining pom bait for just before crossing the threshold to the boss at the end of the final dungeon. 500 sepith IS useful at the start, but Saintly Force isn't. It's not a rare variety, so it gives you no stat bonus and the spell Saintly Force, Single-target 50% Str and Def for 5 turns, isn't particularly useful since it's too expensive to spam early on and Rean starts out with his +25% Str boosting Motivate craft from the first game.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Inspector Gesicht posted:

One thing I hated about TiTs is that sidequests wouldn't cancel when the chapter ends, but when you make a tiny bit of progress within the chapter. Is this series any more lenient?

In addition to cut-off points being made clear, the hidden sidequests are more predictable. (there's always one in the evening on each free day and always one on each field study) Also, at the end of each chapter, you get a tally and a mark. If it's "S", you know you got every point there was to get. Otherwise, you know you missed something. Rare books you missed can be picked up at the pawn shop at times.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
If you missed one already, it's because you failed to play by the universal Trails rule...talk to everyone every time the dialogue changes.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
I remember nearly wrecking my controller and my fingers because of that since I was forced to catch end-game fish with the basic fishing rod.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Apparantly stacking additional delay quartz on your character and being under the influence of a speed buff raises the chance of a delay effect hitting, despite enemy resistence.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Lots of the game's sidequest names are either puns or have double meanings.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
At least the wait will be a matter of months rather than years, like early Trails fans put up with for Second Chapter. And don't even think about googling stuff related to Cold Steel III, because holy poo poo is that spoiler city.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Caidin posted:

New to Cold Steel here, I just finished up my June field trip so I guess that's chapter 3. I have a few questions. One, how long is Emma gonna drag out this "not a witch" thing? Two, why were the goons called dropout Jeagers if they're still mercenaries and trying to start a new Jeager company? Three, are these flashbacks Rean keeps having suggesting he murdered a bear when he was like 5 years old?

1) Just slightly beyond the start of Cold Steel II. Yes, it takes that long.

2) Because "Jaeger Dropouts" is the actual term used for mercenaries who do the kind of stuff Jaegers might be hired for, except they haven't yet built up the credentials to actually call themselves a Jaeger Corps. It's kind of a derogatory term used for folks who aren't up to professional Corps standards yet.

3) Bear-like creature and yes, that's exactly what they're suggesting. How an elementary schooler was able to completely hack apart a large creature that folks would usually hire a bracer to extermination using only a small woodcutting hatchet is something that you'll learn very, very soon.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
It's also not truly infinite since while the delay between the casting of Firebolt and your next turn is reduced to 0 due to a developer's oversight, the delay between initiating the cast and the art going off is still there, if miniscule. Luminous Ray has a similar trick to it, btw, though Firebolt is more popular since it has a chance to inflict the burn status.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Wear anti-freeze accessories, keep your buffs up and equip speed-boosting quartz/equipment. Take advantage of evasion/insight.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
They're definitely worth picking up. In fact, you'll appreciate Cold Steel 1 and 2 more if you're familiar with their story.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Or so he claims...all the while Dorothee is writing fanfiction involving him and Jusis having passionate hate-sex.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Not just boss S-crafts...everybody's S-crafts got buffed in the Cold Steel series, to the point where spamming them is considered a viable strategy especially against HP-sponge bosses.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Well, you get it in 3 ways. (4 in New Game+) Collecting books, collecting "sets", paying attention in the final dungeon and collecting insane amounts of U-materials.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
LOL, no it wasn't.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Tae posted:

https://twitter.com/Hatsuu/status/899712834195513344

So hoping more for October than December.

Durante explicitly ruled out a release before December since there were "still only 80 workdays in his week" and he still had support for CS1 to worry about. It's great that S and V will now be voiced. I really, really hope that NG+ sidequest in the epilogue will be voiced too. I know it's a sidequest, but yeegads is it plot-relevant.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Yeah, the information quartz allows you to view enemies' complete profiles and vulnerabilities, but it'll show up in read (meaning it won't be recorded) until you analyze them or until the stuff unlocks manually.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Tae posted:

This is not going to apply for months when CS 2 comes out, but don't rely on triple advantage all day. They change how field attacks work, and it's much much worse and slower.

Terper posted:

Just use ranged attackers/run away until they turn their backs :confused:

This right here.

lets hang out posted:

i mean yeah if you want everything to take way longer go ahead

Baiting an enemy, waiting for them to turn around and then snipe and engage them does take a little while longer, say, 5 to 8 seconds. But getting triple advantage consistently, instead of just every once in a while, still means the battle itself will be over much sooner since enemies take damage right at the start and you get enough free turns in to kill everything before it has a chance to move. If you're able to consistently hit and circle enemies, the bait and snipe method takes longer, but otherwise it's probably still the most efficient way to take out randoms in the long run.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Probably pretty much the same.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Are the Prankster and Effort quartzes (70% chance for a Peculiar/Superb dish) something which applies to Rean only? And I assume you need to first have someone create those before anyone else can make them.

I think the way they work is they do all the calculations first (characters involved in the cooking + random factor) and then apply a 70% multiplier to change the result at the very end, regardless of whether it was created before or not.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Moldy Sausage posted:

Will any QoL things I'm used to be missing from the PS3 version, besides turbo mode and graphics?

There will be scenes where Rean will be silent while other characters do have voices. Like your final bonding event. Certain characters like Scarlet and Vulcan will be silent too.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Obviously if you expect to be swamped with work at the end of this year/start of the next, that may not be practical. If it's merely "I want know what happens next right now", I suggest waiting for the superior version and play the Trails in the Sky games if you haven't already.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Billzasilver posted:

What the gently caress could CS2 even be ABOUT?!?

- Snowboarding
- A competition who can take the title of National Headpatter.
- Getting bailed out of trouble by people who have their poo poo more together than you. :P

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Did you actually finish Trails in the Sky? Because while I can see how that impression came to be at the start, not many folks stick with it all the way through.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
The guy with Anton? Ricky, obviously. He and Anton are together in every scene in every Trails game aside from that sidequest in SC. (and even then, he was watching over Anton while he was puking his guts out in the bath tub afterwards)

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
By the time you finish SC and 3rd, both of which will enhance your experience of Cold Steel 1 and 2's plot, I imagine Cold Steel 2 will either be released or close to it.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
The only NG+ only quests you encounter are in Cold Steel 2. (a bonus boss and the black records sidequest)

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
I imagine that even if XSeed succeeded in securing the rights as we speak, they're not gonna announce as such until they're at least some ways into the localization process.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Same with the river in town. Some fish might appear in the river, but not the pond and vice versa. That said, if you've missed one or two fishing spots and have to rely on the pond/river to get the missing fish, prepare to use a lot of ground baits. It's worth it, though, since getting 100% on fishing can get you some amazing stuff.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Tae posted:

I think I played through half the game before I realized the pond in the gardening area was also a fishing pond.

I had a similar thing with Micht's shop, whose exchange stock is divided between several tabs, which I didn't notice until waaaaay into the game.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
I kind of like how, no matter how well the player does, Alisa still outdoes Rean no matter what because her background gives her that much of a natural advantage over him as opposed to the "player is always better at everything"-schtick.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Belated post, I finished Chapter 6 a ways back early last month.

Fie you're a bad role model.

The funny part is: the achievement picture of getting in a certain amount of preemptive attacks depicts Fie sneaking around disguised as a cardboard box. (with a Mishy picture on it)

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Cyouni posted:

What was the context of this image again?

Some Numbers posted:

Crow suggesting the girls get into bikinis for the festival.

Not just that, he suggested the girls put on bikinis and hold a wrestling contest in the pool. The screenshot is Laura, Alisa and Fie letting him know in unison what exactly they thought of that. :allears:

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Yeah the three of them sat on one side of the table that time and just responded with no break in pace at all.

I still have no idea what Ouroboros is like other than they're mysterious and make robots

If this is your first Trails game, this is pretty much the only thing you're expected to know of them other than the fact Sara butted heads with them before. You learn quite a bit more about them in the Trails in the Sky games.

Erpy fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
The sequel fortunately makes that particular mechanic a lot less frustrating.

• Locked thread