Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Sara
Claire
Sharon
Crow
Olivert
View Results

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
There is a decent chance I'll buy this without ever intending to play it, at least not until there are some NG+ saves floating around since I can't imagine there'll be any decent way to get my PS3 save onto it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

lets hang out posted:

The reason to play in order is that when characters from early arcs show up in later ones you get to go "oh poo poo it's my boy" and be excited about it instead of wondering who they are
Yeah this is the main reason to play all the games, eventually.

And also: there is not a significant difference between the quality of the Sky games vs. the Cold Steel games. There are obviously QOL improvements in CS and and it looks prettier, but playing Sky 3rd a few months ago solidified for me that all of the Trails games are excellent.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh my god it runs so smooth. What a thing!

Also don't forget the most important thing about Cold Steel that is not immediately obvious: you can dash by holding R1.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

The Colonel posted:

also drat i was surprised when draw distance had like zero performance impact despite my really mediocre old cpu and i tried turning up a bunch of the shadow options and this game is still running buttery smooth, and my pc loving sucks. what is this magic
"The best PC port of a JRPG of all time."

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
IMO with the addition of turbo mode the gap between the Sky and Cold Steel games in terms of gameplay is basically nonexistant, other than some minor QOL elements and the loss of some interesting aspects Cold Steel like the Master Quartz.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Let's see if I can remember all of the best ones...

Moebius, Criminal, and Pandora (ones you've already listed) are definitely awesome ones to have endgame. Other than that:

Megalith: Regens HP/EP/CP while walking around and boosts EXP gains.
Vermilion: Higher HP boosts Attack, so amazing on Laura
Juggler: High chance to inflict random status effects, so great on Machias. TBH though I mostly like this from how I used it in CS2, but I'm sure it was still a solid choice in the first game.

You've probably already figured this out but MQ that provide a turn-limited boost at the start are not going to be as great for bosses

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
https://twitter.com/Durante_PT/status/910048890803642368

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Also, Falcom kinda sorta trying their hand at Suikoden-style "castle" building.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I don't think any one country in Zemuria is necessarily meant to be a stand-in for a real world location (at least not to the extent that the ones in Ys are), but Calvard if anything sounds more like a USA where it's a "melting pot" of cultures with a Presidential-based democracy and such.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Terminally Bored posted:

Also, what did they use to pad out CS2? More fighting?
I'd argue that most of CS2 is the "real" plot of what CS1 was supposed to be about, but the last maybe 15% of the game definitely felt like unnecessary padding. Basically a couple of epilogue dungeons/bosses.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I can only assume he/she is talking about Scarlet...which, I guess? She never took me out of the game in the same way as say that one woman from Valkyria Revolution did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Some master quartz has defintiely been rebalanced as well. Megalith isn't nearly as useful as it was in the first game.

• Locked thread