Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

miniLAW: Ministry of Law? That's a funny way of spelling JYDGE. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

miniLAW: Ministry of Law? That's a funny way of spelling JYDGE. :v:
Everything is a funny way of spelling JYDGE.

And Jydge doesn't feature yelling at people.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

I love the idea of this game, and it's sale listing is quite generous (40% = $9 until Jan 8th), but it's crashing even during stuff like tutorial exposition phone calls with NPCs.

"Tell me about my augments, Toblowsky the lab guy" "Well, you can change then from your flying police car, etc etc, just remember you can an only repair them at HQ. Anything else?" CRASH. It's done so the next times I tried that conversation, just to be sure.

Maybe everyone testing it during EA never felt the need to re-read tutorial exposition conversations?

I'm definitely hanging onto it, because rocket assisted shoulder checks while shouting "LET'S TALK LIKE GENTLEMEN" :psylon: at criminals is worth the price of admission. But I'm hoping these the last rough edges will get post launch support.

Fake Edit: A guy spawned inside an inaccessible brick wall and piles layer between floors, who flickers into view temporarily while I use doors to travel by him between floors. Shame steam screenshots don't seem to work for this game, but dimly remembering my button combo for windows screenshots let me capture the softlock fun.

Feels like there should be a door, but the right side is stairs, and the left side is a wall (Or, door with buggy interaction), and no travel door in the crawlspace.

Real Edit: Not a soft lock because I can leave :downs: but still, rough luck. (Also either there is a graphic glitch, or my video card is on the way out with crazy purple coloring on the hud to the side)

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 1, 2020

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

is anyone streaming? watching a friend's broadcast is the last thing on my list

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
So is miniLAW fun, combat wise? Because I'm a sucker for procgen games and leveling up stats.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Anyone want Yaku*a 0?

VR622-*GEL3-7ECDP

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Has the humble choice for this month leaked yet?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
With the new steam interface, is there a way to see all the games installed locally and the different categories you've applied to them?

My method so far has been to pop new stuff into my 'backlog' category and when i'm done, remove it from 'backlog' so it ends up in the general games folder. Then i filtered by installed games to quickly find and uninstall it. Same thing for any new games i buy (but in reverse), so it's easy to find and add to the correct place.

I can't find a way to do that anymore.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Kin posted:

With the new steam interface, is there a way to see all the games installed locally and the different categories you've applied to them?

My method so far has been to pop new stuff into my 'backlog' category and when i'm done, remove it from 'backlog' so it ends up in the general games folder. Then i filtered by installed games to quickly find and uninstall it. Same thing for any new games i buy (but in reverse), so it's easy to find and add to the correct place.

I can't find a way to do that anymore.
Yes, there is. Just press the button that says Games, right under the search field, and select "group by collection." It's show you installed games sorted by whatever you have grouped them into.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Guys. I found it. The best game on steam: Cockworks Industries COMPLETE

:nws:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1172940/Cockwork_Industries_Complete/

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

Everything is a funny way of spelling JYDGE.

And Jydge doesn't feature yelling at people.

Yeah but the soundtrack in JYDGE is weirdly good.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

the trailer sountrack for minilaw, does that represent the music in the game? :yikes:

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Any tips for Katana Zero's I think the final boss? It's ridiculously hard compared to anything before.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Sininu posted:

Any tips for Katana Zero's I think the final boss? It's ridiculously hard compared to anything before.

Is there a specific part of the boss battle you're getting stuck on?

If it's the boss battle I'm thinking of, there were two things that held me up. The laser and the adds. For the laser, use slow time as soon as it comes out and then roll (or jump roll) directly into the boss. If you time it right you'll dodge the laser and be able to immediately strike the boss. For the adds you need to kill them ASAP. They always spawn in the same place and in the same order, and for the SWAT guys roll into them and strike them from behind. Second half is similar but with more dodging, make sure to kill the guns as soon as they pop up and roll dodge all the lasers (again, slow time helps lots here).

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 1, 2020

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Is there a specific part of the boss battle you're getting stuck on?

Okey, I did it! After like 45 min of pain I figured out I was stupid and decided to relax a bit. Thanks for the help.

It was the second part, the first part was kind of easy peasy for me.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Morter posted:

So is miniLAW fun, combat wise? Because I'm a sucker for procgen games and leveling up stats.

"REMAIN UNCONSCIOUS OR THERE WILL BE CONSEQUENCES" The constable droned in a casual monotone, a third (208%) headbutt finally dropping the white collar perp that thought wearing sunglasses at night was a good idea. The next gave up immediately, after being shot in the rear end with a single standard issue handgun round...Then I took 75% of my health bar in damage to a paint can on a string Home Alone style trap. Ow, I bought a helmet upgrade, damnit!

It seems to have a nice baseline, so my expectations wondering about it's lingering rough spots and the potential for replays. But on that front, the Devs responded fast and said they found the crawlspace bug already, with them hoping to get a hotfix out tonight.

Given it is only $9 right now ($15 is it's normal price), even with the jank it still feels well worth the nearly :10bux:

Biggest Jank Warning is being drat careful jumping in hallways, as it will make you turbo bunnyhop your energy bar into submission across the screen (then out windows. Good thing there is no fall damage!). Also if playing with a controller, there are a lot of things where you gotta use the D-pad instead of stick, like the lockpicking minigame or using doors. You can't switch freely between a controller and KB+M, you gotta pick it in options, have fun dialing phone numbers!

It is a "Find the mad bombers" plot with a timer. Easy/Normal/Hard adjust your allowed time and starting armor stats. Normal is 24, hard is 18? There is only one save file with "exact moment you left off" auto save. Time either moves in (minute) increments when you travel across the map or do things like stop at HQ for repairs, then switches to realtime during missions.

Stat gains seem a bit all over the place and hard to judge what will be relevant in the long run. Reactor stats boost effectiveness by solid 5% chunks. A "+5 melee effectiveness" gauntlet augment I bought boosted me from 133% rank three melee to 208%. Meanwhile, the shouting stat only lists a RANGE increase... Of 0.04 meters per rank. Doesn't exactly sound relevant given the range combat takes place in even when shooting people. So currently I put a cheap +3 in everything and called it a day to save up for equipment that catches my eye.

I'm up to 100+ spare ammo with my basic handgun (and the tutorial claims you can get a basic refill for free for it), While special ammo is (for cheap) purchase at HQ only. Still not quite sure how "offhand" weapons will function. I saved up for an expensive "riot gel" one, UI wise looks like it's a hand equip. But aside from adding four purple dots to the top of my screen during missions, I can't work out how to USE it, and cycling through fire modes has nothing new.

I'm still super early in, so have not seen any of the big beefy mech enemies in the trailer. Big mechs in the future are probably why the depleted uranium AP shot secondary is dirt cheap :v:

You've got a dedicated block button (Thanks, magnets!) complete with perfect parry reflection (and ye olde 'take cover/Blackthorne style hide in the rare wall nook). But I've not really used it because "guy with handgun" or "spams melee" hasn't made it relevant. I was also afraid at first I'd deflect shots into the civilians milling around, but looks like they are immune to gunfire. No wonder they are content to stand in the middle of a firefight with a Vive.

Speaking of the grab option above, there are many cases where it (and melee) is super iffy. Guy With Knife was the first thing to drop me and make me need a combat rez, with with his ability to seemingly phase through grab attempts. Big Muscle Guy is, well, yeah. Most mutants crawl along on all fours so are too short to melee it seems. Meanwhile, Big Mutant takes a dozen slams but is tall enough to hit a bunch of times.

Even when melee works great, it feels so woefully ineffective (if 200+% melee stat still needs multiple headbutts for the WEAKEST criminals in the game to surrender/fall unconcious...) compared to putting 1-2 in their knees while screaming/finishing touch punching at their sliver of remaining meters. But big melee moves do still knock them to the pavement giving you plenty of time to work.

The Motley Crue Maneuver of Boom Boom SHOUT doesn't feel "too easy" though, because even Guy With Knife can gently caress up robocop if you let him. So the game is very "Smooth sailing-OH JESUS" so far. Like walking up to a guy to punch them and setting off a teeny tiny bomb I'm poo poo at noticing ahead of time.

But it also means I feel like I'd be penalized for buying a bigger primary weapon, as that would mean telling a lot more corpses they are under arrest when I can't rely on my cyber muscles to get the job done fast, or at all. On the flip side, paying extra for melee augments seems to do gently caress all to "Tall guy with light armor" compared to kneecaping them once with AP special ammo and shouting. So a stronger primary doesn't seem like it would be helpful against hard targets either dead OR alive.

It took me a hot minute to realize reloading also ejects your remaining magazine onto the floor. But unlike most games you can just immediately hoover it up with the interact button, rather than disintegrating all spare ammo. So it feels like a very vestigial "This is more realistic!... But let's not actually make it a pain in the rear end". Maybe it would be an issue in a running gun battle.

Sometimes I see special guest star robot cops who I expect "five vs 5 muscle man? I'm sure they got it" and I come back to see them all dead. There is one map where they seem to always set off a bomb close to the start too? So thank you for suffering so I don't have to, guys.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 2, 2020

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I made a new thread :gaben:

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Cardiovorax posted:

Yes, there is. Just press the button that says Games, right under the search field, and select "group by collection." It's show you installed games sorted by whatever you have grouped them into.

That only solves part of the problem (seeing all the categories). I found it though, turns out i needed to select the "ready to play games" button too.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Kin posted:

That only solves part of the problem (seeing all the categories). I found it though, turns out i needed to select the "ready to play games" button too.
Sorry, I was assuming you had already done that.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

lmao it's blowing my mind in Parkitect I have to actually care about my guests wants and needs and not just set Shuttle Loop to Ten Dollars to win. I love the art style its got as well.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
OP says this is also the PC gaming thread so here’s a question that I will remove if it’s not cool. Seriously, let me know.

What are the go to emulators for SNES, Genesis and GameCube that support online play? This is to play older games I own online with friends. Couch co op isn’t an option for me in 2020 and my buddy and I have scores to settle on Zombies ate my Neighbors and Smash Melee but Nintendo refuses to develop decent online for anything ever.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

Rolo posted:

OP says this is also the PC gaming thread so here’s a question that I will remove if it’s not cool. Seriously, let me know.

What are the go to emulators for SNES, Genesis and GameCube that support online play? This is to play older games I own online with friends. Couch co op isn’t an option for me in 2020 and my buddy and I have scores to settle on Zombies ate my Neighbors and Smash Melee but Nintendo refuses to develop decent online for anything ever.

If you've got the internet for it, I think the best option nowadays is just something like parsec where you just stream your screen.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I have fiber and my buddy plays Cuphead streamed from me on Steam with 0 noticeable latency.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Rolo posted:

GameCube

you're gonna want Dolphin for that (which does Wii games as well)

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I'm trying to set up a DS4 as a mouse/keyboard substitute (I'm kicking myself for missing the clearance sale on the steam controller) and for Civilization 6 there is an official configuration. However, I'm wanting to modify it a bit, but for the life of me I cant figure out how to switch from the keyboard/controller view to choosing the in-game actions they have on other buttons.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Section Z posted:

I love the idea of this game, and it's sale listing is quite generous (40% = $9 until Jan 8th), but it's crashing even during stuff like tutorial exposition phone calls with NPCs.

"Tell me about my augments, Toblowsky the lab guy" "Well, you can change then from your flying police car, etc etc, just remember you can an only repair them at HQ. Anything else?" CRASH. It's done so the next times I tried that conversation, just to be sure.

Maybe everyone testing it during EA never felt the need to re-read tutorial exposition conversations?

I'm definitely hanging onto it, because rocket assisted shoulder checks while shouting "LET'S TALK LIKE GENTLEMEN" :psylon: at criminals is worth the price of admission. But I'm hoping these the last rough edges will get post launch support.

Fake Edit: A guy spawned inside an inaccessible brick wall and piles layer between floors, who flickers into view temporarily while I use doors to travel by him between floors. Shame steam screenshots don't seem to work for this game, but dimly remembering my button combo for windows screenshots let me capture the softlock fun.

Feels like there should be a door, but the right side is stairs, and the left side is a wall (Or, door with buggy interaction), and no travel door in the crawlspace.

Real Edit: Not a soft lock because I can leave :downs: but still, rough luck. (Also either there is a graphic glitch, or my video card is on the way out with crazy purple coloring on the hud to the side)

RoboCop programmed by Bethesda

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

January's Humble Choiche is imo quite insane.

Dirt Rally 2, GRIP, Two Point Hospital and Unrailed are excellent! Most everything else is too except maybe the pony fighting game, not sure about that one. I've heard Graveyard Keeper could be eh too.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
So what are people cutting?

Potential gotchas because GOTY versions are always on sale for cheaper then standalone DLC's:
Mid™dle-earth™™™™™™: Shadow of War™™™ (base™ game only)
Street Fighter V (base game only)

Got free on Epic Store so eh:
Bad North: Jotunn Edition

Online only? Will be dead/ghost town in a year:
Unrailed!

Big Yikes! (Do I dare add this to my library and invoke Steam's "recommend algorithms"?!?):
Them's Fightin' Herds

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Did Shadow of War end up being all right? I remember reading something about it being infested with microtransactions, but that might have just been an initial impression, so I don't know if it got better or they were unnecessary or what.

I end up getting every Street Fighter and then never playing it because I suck at it and why did I buy this again?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Them's Fighting Herds has a cool game mode (salt mine) and good netcode but is still in early access.

edit: They revamped shadow of war and got rid of how important the microtransactions were at some point last year If I recall correctly.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Im_Special posted:

Online only? Will be dead/ghost town in a year:
Unrailed!
It's a local/online co-op multiplayer game with up to 4 players, just like Ultimate Chicken Horse, Duck Game, Overcooked or Monaco. Overcooked is the closest comparison, it plays quite similarly.
Dead/ghost town doesn't really apply to those kinds of games.

E: Dirt Rally 2's DLC's are just 3 cars, no locations. Pretty lame as its DLC locations are all superb and it's not even the cars I would consider the most desirable.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 3, 2020

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
You guys are so last decade! there's a new thread :ssh:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3908833

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Okay fine

Why not close the thread with a message pointing to the new thread?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
LOL I posted there at first, then saw "2017" in the title and went gently caress wrong thread.

Orv
May 4, 2011
(Provided post history is working for once) OP hasn't posted on SA since last year. Someone ping a mod.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Orv posted:

(Provided post history is working for once) OP hasn't posted on SA since last year. Someone ping a mod.

I'm not sure not posting since 2019 means they've been gone long Orv.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

odiv posted:

Did Shadow of War end up being all right? I remember reading something about it being infested with microtransactions, but that might have just been an initial impression, so I don't know if it got better or they were unnecessary or what.

I'm currently playing through it and it's Shadow of Mordor but more(dor)

I ran into an Uruk is loving A N G E R Y

Orv
May 4, 2011

A Sometimes Food posted:

I'm not sure not posting since 2019 means they've been gone long Orv.

...2018. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I'm currently playing through it and it's Shadow of Mordor but more(dor)

I ran into an Uruk is loving A N G E R Y

please don't doxx me