Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Xander77 posted:

You're forgetting about all those awesome boss fights FC3 had. Like the guy you fight after he stabs you, and the utterly nondescript big bad business boss, and the giant evil demon, and the Australian rapist...

They kind of broke the pattern with that one though, because I'm pretty sure it wasn't a hallucination.

I suppose the ink demon might count, but that was pretty much just a light gun game. The rest were just QTEs.
This is a a proper '90s-FPS style boss arena. That's got to be worth something, right? Right?

Also, I think you get a fuckton of Karma, which is useless since the AI companions you'd use it for are in every way less capable than your average wolf, tiger, badger or elephant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
LawBreakers beta is up and running.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Tippis posted:

Also, I think you get a fuckton of Karma, which is useless since the AI companions you'd use it for are in every way less capable than your average wolf, tiger, badger or elephant.
Hey, karma also gives you shop discounts! Because if there's one game that's really stingy with money, it's Far Cry Brotherhood.

The least they could have done with AI companions is given them different weapons. If the upgraded GP dude rocked a sniper rifle / grenade launcher, rather than the same lovely AK, he probably would have done some damage, if only by accident.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Croccers posted:

LawBreakers beta is up and running.

LawBreakers is Overwatch but rated M and with like 4 variations on Genji so maybe don't play it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

LawBreakers is Overwatch but rated M and with like 4 variations on Genji so maybe don't play it.

It also has really neat movement mechanics that I'd love to see in more, better games. Also backwards blindfiring locomotion never stops being the coolest idea for a shooter.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Lawbreakers is the new battleborn. It's real badass.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

LawBreakers is Overwatch but rated M and with like 4 variations on Genji

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It also has really neat movement mechanics that I'd love to see in more, better games. Also backwards blindfiring locomotion never stops being the coolest idea for a shooter.
Basically this. It's fine.
Nothing seems atrocious about but Overwatch fandom is going to rip it to shreds.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
It doesn't help that the characters in LawBreakers are atrocious.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

The characters are bland as heck. It's more like the old UT style but with loadouts rather than Overwatch and it's MOBA like 'hero' units. Would've been better if they went the Tribes route and just had classes without any identity.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
This might be the right place to ask:

Feeling like a Diablo-type game and looking at Path of Exile. Is it bad about free to play traps, or is it a good game without getting nickel and dimed to death, and also, can you have a good time playing alone or do you need a party going to enjoy it?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Soul Glo posted:

Feeling like a Diablo-type game and looking at Path of Exile. Is it bad about free to play traps, or is it a good game without getting nickel and dimed to death, and also, can you have a good time playing alone or do you need a party going to enjoy it?

It's a good enough game if you're into Diablo. Totally playable solo.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Soul Glo posted:

The only microtransactions are stash tabs and cosmetics. Very playable with no money spent. However next week the game is getting a MASSIVE overhaul so you should probably hold off.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I much prefer what I've played of Lawbreakers to what I've played of Overwatch (admittedly only a few hours of each), since LB takes more from UT than from TF2. I think that pedigree applies to character skills and ults too, since there's a lot more fine aiming required in most cases.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
Car Mechanic Simulator 2018 has finally released but i would hold off on buying for awhile, the game is currently suffering from a number of different bugs. I personally cannot open the ingame menus without eventually having the entire screen become blurry.

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

a massive toolclown who cannot stop causing problems
Hey you guys Headlander is real good, probably the best thing Double Fine's done since Psychonauts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PyZ3UJvtfE

As you can hopefully tell from the screenshots and (actually extremely representative) trailer, Headlander is a 70's-retrofuture platformer. You play Winters, a voiceless, disembodied head in a helmet, apparently the absolute last vestige of biological humanity. The rest of the human race has had their personalities downloaded into robots called Impostors and live lives of hedonic decadence in a space station overseen by the all-controlling AI Methuselah (and protected by his purely robotic Shepherds). The upshot of all this is that everybody's consciousness is disjoint from their bodies, the upshot of THAT being that you can vacuum-suck anybody's head off their body with a deeply satisfying POP and plug yourself in.

The core gameplay loop, then, is a mix of exploration, combat (with a rainbow of colored lasers that can be ricocheted around corners), and body-swapping. There are some very light metroidvania elements -- the entire game is on a single, sprawling map, you gain abilities over time that let you access new areas, and there are plenty of hidden powerups -- but it doesn't really belong in that category, as the overall flow is fundamentally linear, with zero opportunities for sequence-breaking and only a handful of times throughout the game you'll need to backtrack to an area because you weren't able to fully explore it the first time through (although, that said, the fast-travel system is smooth and well-implemented).

Combat can be really fun, with rooms turning into gorgeous mini-bullet-hells with five different colors of lasers flying in all directions, and the game gives you lots of neat unlockable abilities to play with, like abandoning bodies to turn them into automated sentries and an aimable reflective shield. Unfortunately, you'll almost never use the vast majority of these abilities outside the few (but very well-designed) boss fights, because it turns out that in 95% of all normal combat encounters the universally dominant strategy is to fly over to all the enemy robots and just pop off their heads. And, I mean, that was still a lot of fun all the way through the game, but I do wish it encouraged you to USE more of the abilities it gives you.

Special mention has to be given to the story, however. As mentioned, the game is visually a pastiche of 70's retrofuture aesthetics, but what makes that more than a random gimmick is that the story is also a pastiche of 1970s sci-fi: from the general worldbuilding, to the creepy and vaguely-religiously-tinged menace of Methuselah, to the scrappy, beret-clad, all-female resistance movement, to the secondary villainess who has turned the archive system into a giant game of high-stakes human chess for basically no reason and taunts you with chess-themed puns in a Russian accent as you are forced to play through it, Headlander would feel right at home alongside films like Logan's Run and Soylent Green. It's deliberately camp, yes, with a lot of funny lines, but the core narrative is played seriously enough, is sufficiently philosophically deep, and is well-executed enough that it works as genuine homage much more than disposable parody.

(Seriously, the color-coded door system -- run by a hyperintelligent and therefore insanely bored AI -- is one of the highlights of the game, helped along by some fantastic voice acting.)

Headlander is not a long game -- it took me about 8 hours to finish and find all the secrets -- but its pacing, writing, coherent holistic art direction and general sense of fun make it a fantastic experience. Strongly recommended.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Yeah Headlander is a neat game.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Soul Glo posted:

You might already be familiar with this but it's worth mentioning that Titan Quest is on sale for $4 right now and is very much Diablo 2.5, just set in ancient Greece and Egypt fighting mythical monsters. I wrote a whole bunch more about it if you're interested.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Occultatio posted:

Headlander is not a long game -- it took me about 8 hours to finish and find all the secrets -- but its pacing, writing, coherent holistic art direction and general sense of fun make it a fantastic experience. Strongly recommended.

I'm 3.5 hours into this right now and I agree completely. The Metroidvania aspect is indeed a bit thin - the map design is too straightforward for it to really shine - but the game is just fun. It's fun to zip around and suck heads off, it's fun to shoot lasers all over the place and it's fun to explore and experience the world. The aesthetics and production values are sublime. It's comfortably one of Double Fine's best games.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Thanks for the advice, will check out Path post patch and look at Titan Quest

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Soul Glo posted:

Is there any reason not to just play Diablo III, which is better now than it has ever been?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Is there any reason not to just play Diablo III, which is better now than it has ever been?

Diablo 3 has fun combat but that's all it has. It only takes maybe 10 hours of playing from the time you start a brand-new character until you get to the point where you're more or less 'done' and only have minor stat improvements left to gain, there's no creativity in the builds and outside of maybe two viable builds in the whole game you're completely railroaded in what you do because builds are dictated by ultra-powerful sets that force you to build around a specific skill to progress. It's not an awful game but it dropped pretty much everything that people liked D2 for (actual endgame in an ARPG, trading which is the entire reason half the playerbase played D2, clever build ideas, a reason to farm when your gear is already maxed out, etc) and PoE stepped up to fill the D2 niche.

PoE is objectively the better game if you want anything more than fun demon punching in your ARPG. It doesn't do the demon punching quite as well as D3 does but there's an actual game wrapped around it instead of being a casual featureless demon-punching simulator.

edit: Also on a subjective note, D3 isn't the best it has ever been: that was right after RoS before they made sets the end-all-be-all. Sets reduced the "viable" builds for each class from 3-6 different ones to one for each class and they never did anything to recover from that. D3 has virtually become top-down 4-player WoW with ARPG controls at this point.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 28, 2017

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

What on earth are you talking about? Each class has 4-5 endgame sets, and the specific way you use them can vary wildly. They only take up armor slots, so you can use different weapons and jewelry, not to mention cube abilities. There's a ton of build variety at the end game.

The sets do restrict your options somewhat, but it really just gives you a good starting point. Showing you some good synergy and letting you work out how to optimize it.

If Diablo 3 has a weakness, it's the plot. Good god is it awful. Play through story mode once and then never again.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Begemot posted:

What on earth are you talking about? Each class has 4-5 endgame sets, and the specific way you use them can vary wildly. They only take up armor slots, so you can use different weapons and jewelry, not to mention cube abilities. There's a ton of build variety at the end game.

The sets do restrict your options somewhat, but it really just gives you a good starting point. Showing you some good synergy and letting you work out how to optimize it.

If Diablo 3 has a weakness, it's the plot. Good god is it awful. Play through story mode once and then never again.

Having 4-5 sets doesn't change the fact that one set is so far above the others on the power curve that the others can hardly be considered viable (unless you use weird standards for what 'viable' means like "can I kill enemies in low difficulties?")

Same deal with them allowing "different skills" - you can use the one skill that's 5x as strong as the others, or struggle with something else.

I'm shocked to hear someone say there's build variety in D3 and having a little trouble processing it or seeing where you're coming from, but go check leaderboards and you'll see that everyone in the top 30% for every class is running the exact same skills with the exact same items, and everyone who's not running that build is multiple orders of magnitude lower on GRift rankings than that top build.

D3 is poorly designed from the ground up because its only end-game content encourages the kind of game-breaking min-maxing that leads to a single build being so far above the others that the others aren't comparable; when the only form of difficulty progression is enemies getting exponentially higher stats you're forced into builds that break or avoid the mechanics as the only way to compensate with out-of-control scaling.

edit: I guess there are viable non-set builds where you become invincible, do zero damage, and spam CCs while your teammates kill things, but uhh... This is an ARPG, not Everquest.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 28, 2017

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

I've already played it on pc and ps4, mainly

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Urban Empire's not very good right? It's got 2.5 stars everywhere but I've never heard anything about it. The idea of a citybuilder where you only have partial control sounds really fun though. The thing I've learned from Tropico and Banished is that they're too easy because they're too solvable, but games like Sim City and Cities get boring for me because they're largely just about making a huge city; a lot of the incidental stuff sort of doesn't matter.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

Urban Empire's not very good right? It's got 2.5 stars everywhere but I've never heard anything about it. The idea of a citybuilder where you only have partial control sounds really fun though. The thing I've learned from Tropico and Banished is that they're too easy because they're too solvable, but games like Sim City and Cities get boring for me because they're largely just about making a huge city; a lot of the incidental stuff sort of doesn't matter.

It's a real shame. The issue is that you either have no difficulty or you just lose. There's actually no room for politicking thanks to how the numbers were balanced, which is a real shame because everything else around the game is fairly solid. Definitely grab it when its on sale if you like poking at ideas that don't execute well.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Begemot posted:

As a filthy casual, I also really hate that Diablo 3 builds are based around being lucky enough to grind out the right set pieces.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Eh, just play season. You get a free full set automatically and within a week or two of hitting max level you'll have pretty much every set you want. You can use the cube to convert duplicate set items to other parts of each set.

The endgame is pretty much just farming for primals/ancients and weapons/rings.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
the biggest problem with diablo 3's endgame is that its boring

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Jagged Jim posted:

Is The Surge any fun, or is it just a lame sci-fi Dark Souls clone?

Depends on what you put into it, but it is at least a better souls like than LoTF. The problem is that its very limited gear types and very simplistic bosses. Its more later souls drag than early DS polish and pushing to the edge. The setting also isn't really explored as you're always just in a ruined facility with nice air and weather for a world that is teeming on environmental collapse. However, its got a kind of janky charm if you can have a taste for it.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Did anyone get Sundred? It looks fun Metroidvania/Platformer and love the artstyle.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Ulio posted:

Did anyone get Sundred? It looks fun Metroidvania/Platformer and love the artstyle.

It's loving awful. Infinite enemy spawns coupled with procedural level generation leads to a grindy and dull if beautiful game.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Ulio posted:

I've seen it described as basically "Castlevania but all the enemies are respawning Medusa Heads" so if that sounds fun then sure, pick it up.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

deep dish peat moss posted:

I'm shocked to hear someone say there's build variety in D3 and having a little trouble processing it or seeing where you're coming from, but go check leaderboards and you'll see that everyone in the top 30% for every class is running the exact same skills with the exact same items, and everyone who's not running that build is multiple orders of magnitude lower on GRift rankings than that top build.

your crucial and extremely obvious mistake here is assuming that the other 99% of players care particularly about the top 100 player compositions

d3 isn't like poe where having a top end build is mandatory to see new content like shaper or uber atziri. there's functionally no difference between GRift 40 and Grift 140 except for the numbers involved, and that's why the game is fun to play with the worst item set and the best item set for any given class. that's what build variety means

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Det_no posted:

Launching Foxhole as a pay to play product felt like a questionable move but I guess it worked out for them? Managed to get more concurrent players than notoriously poo poo game Running With Rifles ever did.

What's bad about RWR? Not asking defensively, I'm just trying to make a decision between which one to try.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Songbearer posted:

What's bad about RWR? Not asking defensively, I'm just trying to make a decision between which one to try.

RWR is good and fun. Foxhole chucks in too much in terms of inventory and supply nonsense. RWR is just clean manic fun.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Running With Rifles is pretty much "Cannon Fodder The MMO." Deaths are essentially a dice roll whenever you're hit, and it's not uncommon to spend a minute legging it to a front (because all the vehicles have been taken and left abandoned in some corner of the map), only to eat a stray round that was fired from far off-screen.

Building up enough ranks and cash to roll out with armor and a posse of AI goons to die in your stead is tons of fun, though.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

d3 is fun in short bursts but completely brainless. its one of the very few games that i can fall asleep playing.

it is much better than poe in the variety of monster death animations though.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I really wanted to like PoE, but the 'retro' D2 graphics and massive skill tree kind of turned me off to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Songbearer posted:

Not only is RWR grindy for no reason but even when it's supposed to be good it never really works because the AI is loving terrible. It's particularly awful in a game like that because you are supposed to be a generic grunt yet you'll have to do all the heavy lifting to complete maps, gets really boring and samey a few hours in. Your best bet at fun is multiplayer but not only is there less than a hundred active players (a pretty entrenched and poo poo community at that) but the playerbase will split once the dev releases their ill-conceived, standalone WW2 version based on a mod.

Foxhole on the other hand is vastly more interesting but if you are going to get into that, it has to be a commitment. It has no bots at all and logistics are hard without a group so you either need some friends OR you join a guild to coordinate poo poo on a big scale. It's real confusing at first but when it clicks it works super well and it's awesome watching/playing coordinated advances the kind you normally only really see in RTS games.