Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

spider wisdom posted:

I'm a little disappointed it doesn't look just like the ~dope-rear end trailer~ but it's decent enough. Thanks for showing it off!

Yeah, it's not quite near that level yet, as it needs some touch-ups/engine tweaks, but I was pretty happy with what I saw, and it played well (no major bugs). The VA work and music really stood out for me (usually stuff I don't care about).
The little mini-puzzles were a nice touch as well. Might play/stream a little more tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Digirat posted:

She'll be well-defended if she gets hit in the left arm specifically.
You can afford to lose the other arm because it's not holding the sword.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Avalanche posted:

So this is on Kickstarter with a free playable demo and coming out on Steam end of the year (beta early August).

Really digging the soundtrack with this game so far and the entire dev team consists of 11 Frenchies that are really into Dune:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An317hx2LQA

The guy with the surname "Idaho" is a dead giveaway.

But they won me over with this hero character called "Karl Popper." Gonna name my whole crew after 20th century philosophers

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Ooh, I'm excited for this. I enjoyed the first one.

Too Shy Guy posted:

Unrelated to BRchat, I obviously didn't get to another FPSummer title this week but I did play the other Princess Remedy game as promised, so I'm here to talk about that. I know Grapplejack is probably sweating this one out somewhere so next week I'm going to review Burial at Sea Episode 2 for reals.

I'm excited, not gonna lie.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Hmm. $2 Vagrant is tempting, especially for a curiosity purchase.
-
I'd choose the dog, obviously.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Grapplejack posted:

I'm excited, not gonna lie.

Oh hey, there you are. I was just thinking about how much I've come to hate the phrase "trans-orbital lobotomy".

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah why is she hugging a plant wtf

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012

Avalanche posted:

So this is on Kickstarter with a free playable demo and coming out on Steam end of the year (beta early August).

Really digging the soundtrack with this game so far and the entire dev team consists of 11 Frenchies that are really into Dune:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An317hx2LQA

I know style isn't everything, but hot dang.....

Hopefully they put even a fraction of the same effort into gameplay. It looks like a strategy rogue-lite/like or whatever, which can be tough to nail....

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://twitter.com/MOOMANiBE/status/1017899784445747200

A dev from Gaslamp Games reflecting on Clockwork Empires
Oh hay it's Ultima Online's Virtual Ecology all over again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFNxJVTJleE

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The devs are playing SimEarth, the players are playing Big Game Hunter

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
Friendly reminder that Richard Garriot's Ultima: Star Citizen please buy vials of my blood is a thing.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

So I'm playing Environmental Station Alpha and, uh, I'm poking around in postgame stuff and I've having a problem. Is there a way to just... cheat through this long maze full of instant death spikes somehow? I am willing to do outright cheating stuff here as long as it's not too complicated to implement. I am just not that loving precise with my platforming here.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Zereth posted:

So I'm playing Environmental Station Alpha and, uh, I'm poking around in postgame stuff and I've having a problem. Is there a way to just... cheat through this long maze full of instant death spikes somehow? I am willing to do outright cheating stuff here as long as it's not too complicated to implement. I am just not that loving precise with my platforming here.

The dev said Sorry for the late answer, I've been away. Go to users/<yourusername>/appdata/roaming/MMFApplications/ESA_Save.lar and edit the line "HPmax" to something like 1000. This sets your maximum HP, and as far as I can remember the insta-kill spikes deal 99 damage.

If you don't give a poo poo try this and set it back later

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Grapplejack posted:

The dev said Sorry for the late answer, I've been away. Go to users/<yourusername>/appdata/roaming/MMFApplications/ESA_Save.lar and edit the line "HPmax" to something like 1000. This sets your maximum HP, and as far as I can remember the insta-kill spikes deal 99 damage.

If you don't give a poo poo try this and set it back later
Oh hey, that should help. Thanks!

EDIT: I set it to 10,000 and halfassed my way through the maze. Success!

Zereth fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jul 15, 2018

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Of course if you're interested in a weird and punishing roguelike 4x try Conquest of Elysium 4

I’ve picked up dom5 again, and don’t want to get tired of waiting with only a couple of games and sign up for way too many. Does Elysium 4 improve 3 much, or am I good with 3?

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why is this game so cheap?

The best I can tell is that a bunch of Japanese dev created a Vanillaware fan game and it got thrown up on Steam with a translations and some bug fixes.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Strange finds from my queue:

Prime Mover - a game about designing electronic circuits, which seems like it'll please Zachtronic fans.

Art of Murder and a whole bunch of adventure games were released simultaneously by this one developer, I have no idea if they're any good.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
prime mover is definitely a zachtonicslike

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010

BexGu posted:

The best I can tell is that a bunch of Japanese dev created a Vanillaware fan game and it got thrown up on Steam with a translations and some bug fixes.

I think all the games released by that publisher are basically tech demos with big giant anime titties.

dad on the rag fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jul 15, 2018

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
They are not tech demos.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
SakuraGame is a Chinese joint best known for pushing mostly cheap Japanese VNs and ero-games on Steam, often machine translated into English (presumably from Chinese).

Not to be confused with Winged Cloud and their Sakura games who are bad in a different way.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jul 15, 2018

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Dead Cells is real good y'all.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Wow Environmental Station Alpha is a lot easier when you have enough HP that you can afford to get hit, since there's no way to restore health other than using a save point or heal station.

Although now the guides I was using have all run out yet I am aware there's more stuff, but not what the deal is with that stuff. I guess the creator kept adding new stuff to it?

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Fat Samurai posted:

I’ve picked up dom5 again, and don’t want to get tired of waiting with only a couple of games and sign up for way too many. Does Elysium 4 improve 3 much, or am I good with 3?

4 is waaaaay better.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Why is this game so cheap?

It had a normal price at some point.

The Vagrant was made by a team of 3 chinese guys that quit their day jobs to go full into game dev and as you might imagine it didn't go great. They had enough of a game for it to be listed on Greenlight, they tried to run a kickstarter for funds to complete it but it failed; They continued to work on the game regardless using savings from their regular jobs and got it out in Early Access while they figured things out.

It's at that point that the team either approached or got poached by SakuraGame, who is a chinese publisher that usually puts out stuff of real questionable quality for bargain bin prices, they are pretty shady so understandably people who had bought into the game were a bit skeptic. The game's price was slashed to at least half if I remember right, one way or another SakuraGame must have provided the money for the game to be completed though because ever since O.T.K. Games have released the last two chapters they promised.

It's kind of a sad story and we might never know how the deal benefited or hosed up O.T.K. Games but at least they finished their dream project. They also seem to have learned a whole lot in the process cause they really were pretty green when they began.

Det_no fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jul 15, 2018

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Stayed up way too late last night playing Gladius

https://store.steampowered.com/app/489630/Warhammer_40000_Gladius__Relics_of_War/

It's basically Warlock/2 with Warhammer 40k skin.

It's a turn based wargame, not a 4x. You do build up, but 90% of the game is concerned about bashing face with a procession of ever nastier firepower.

Not what I'd call the highest budget project, but scratches a specific itch for me very nicely.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I like that in Dishonored 2 in the span of the last 3 missions I could turn around my High Chaos rating to Low Chaos and get the good ending. So I could try out both ultraviolence and ghost stealth approaches in one playthrough. Good satisfying game.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Palpek posted:

I like that in Dishonored 2 in the span of the last 3 missions I could turn around my High Chaos rating to Low Chaos and get the good ending. So I could try out both ultraviolence and ghost stealth approaches in one playthrough. Good satisfying game.

Your last few posts motivated me to finish up Brigmore Witches finally and start Dishonored 2.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
playing brigmore witches and dishonored 2 back to back will probably be disappointing

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
ooh, that final battle with Agent Black in Iconoclasts is a bit of a heartbreaker

"THERE HAS NEVER BEEN ANYTHING SMALLER THAN ME."

and then you find out she was possibly the only Agent reserved a spot on the moonbase and that might not have even been a good thing for her

game's a bit weird, it has that same relentless mean-spiritedness under the bright visuals that Owlboy did but it's more tolerable because it's not obviously unfinished

seriously, these people are all horrible

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Iconoclasts' cast is much better-developed and more sympathetic than Owlboy's, even when they're monstrous fuckups.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Really Pants posted:

Iconoclasts' cast is much better-developed and more sympathetic than Owlboy's, even when they're monstrous fuckups.
I remember less "Authority figures (who aren't explicitly enemies) making GBS threads on the protagonist constantly" in Iconoclasts, for one thing.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
So, I bought 2 games, and wanted one of them to be a gift for MY WIFE, and then ended up gifting both to her. She took the one that I wanted her to have and declined the other. The other game hasn't shown up in my inventory, am I screwed? Already sent a help request to Steam.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the dynamic is also a bit different, since in Owlboy most of the bad things that happened are indirectly caused by Otus so that everyone can scream at him about it

nearly all the damage in Iconoclasts is caused by Robin's shithead brother long before the events of the game even start, and you spend the rest of the time trying to mitigate damage as all of the dominoes fall while occasionally making mistakes like "allowing Royal to do a single thing, ever"

seriously that boy's talent for loving up borders on the supernatural

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Iconoclasts is about a good girl having to deal with a bunch of fuckin' imbeciles and their problems. Mostly by smashing them with a wrench.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

SpannerX posted:

So, I bought 2 games, and wanted one of them to be a gift for MY WIFE, and then ended up gifting both to her. She took the one that I wanted her to have and declined the other. The other game hasn't shown up in my inventory, am I screwed? Already sent a help request to Steam.
There's no path for gifting that results in things showing up in your inventory anymore. If somebody declines a gift, you get a refund instead.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

the dynamic is also a bit different, since in Owlboy most of the bad things that happened are indirectly caused by Otus so that everyone can scream at him about it
I didn't play Owlboy all that long because I didn't find the gameplay very interesting, and Otus didn't have time to do anything before people started making GBS threads on him. People didn't need a loving reason to poo poo on Otus other than that he existed.

EDIT: If I remember correctly, people started making GBS threads on him before you got control for the first time.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Zereth posted:

There's no path for gifting that results in things showing up in your inventory anymore. If somebody declines a gift, you get a refund instead.

Yeah, they just got back to me, the refund will take up to 7 days. I guess I just re buy the game for myself.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That was the point I thought, Otus was a gently caress up because of years of abuse.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Zereth posted:

I didn't play Owlboy all that long because I didn't find the gameplay very interesting, and Otus didn't have time to do anything before people started making GBS threads on him. People didn't need a loving reason to poo poo on Otus other than that he existed.

EDIT: If I remember correctly, people started making GBS threads on him before you got control for the first time.

i liked the cut sequence that consists of otus hallucinating his own death while a giant head of his teacher/guardian screams himself hoarse at the boy for being unable to say anything to save himself

those developers maybe had some issues to work out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Owlboy was a bad game on top of being extremely unpleasant.

I'm glad iconoclasts is apparently a lot better, though.