Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Palpek posted:

That's a way worse one than the previous ones.

It's definitely up there as one of the bad ones, like I recall Call of Duty multiplayer one, and there was that WWE wrestling game one, and with a MSRP of $126 where as other months can hit $200+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Sininu posted:

Here we go again, just ask for these:

Eterium
HackyZack
Stories Untold
Worms W.M.D
Banner Saga 2

Even though I really liked old Worms games I don't think I'm going to play new ones much at all, don't even have anyone to play them with.

I'd take Banner Saga 2 if you don't mind, I feel like I should play it having played the first one.

Thanks so much for the Banner Saga 2!

Im_Special fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 1, 2017

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Sininu posted:

Eterium
HackyZack
Stories Untold
Worms W.M.D
Banner Saga 2

Even though I really liked old Worms games I don't think I'm going to play new ones much at all, don't even have anyone to play them with.

Stories Untold looks neat. id/Detrian

Thank you very much, as always.

Det_no fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 1, 2017

Nullset
Apr 21, 2010

Sininu posted:

Eterium
HackyZack
Stories Untold
Worms W.M.D
Banner Saga 2

I'll grab Worms W.M.D. It should be fun with friends anyway.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Fat Samurai posted:

Did they modify the combat in Banner Saga at all? I enjoyed everything about the first one except that.

They added some variety in battle objectives so that not every fight is just "defeat all enemies", but the system still basically functions the same way.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Nullset posted:

I'll grab Worms W.M.D. It should be fun with friends anyway.

Uh oh. Humble made this hard for me and says that the key isn't redeemable in these countries:

Are you from any of these?

Unbalanced
Sep 29, 2005

Sininu posted:

Eterium
HackyZack
Stories Untold
Worms W.M.D
Banner Saga 2

HackyZack, please.

Thank you!

Unbalanced fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 1, 2017

Nullset
Apr 21, 2010

Sininu posted:

Uh oh. Humble made this hard for me and says that the key isn't redeemable in these countries:

Are you from any of these?

Nope, I'm in the US.

Thanks!

Nullset fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 1, 2017

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

I hit a wall hard right at the start of her story just trying to figure out what to do and how to load videos and what the goal was

The goal is to figure out the events surrounding a murder based on a series of interviews with a suspect. The interviews are all broken up into short clips in a database that you navigate using a search engine based on keywords, you have to use the actual content of the videos (time stamps, clothing changes, etc.) and context to piece together the chronology. The search engine can also only display up to five videos at a time so you have to piece together searches that are specific enough to see all the results.

It's the type of game that benefits a lot from playing it with a notebook and getting it it taking notes and jotting down possible keywords to search and making your own timeline. You can also creatr custom search tags for videos and it's so robust that you can actually break the game open by putting a custom tag on every video you watch so that when you do a blank search it returns only videos you haven't watched and tagged.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Sininu posted:

Eterium
HackyZack
Stories Untold

Worms W.M.D
Banner Saga 2

Eterium if it's still available please.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Dodoman posted:

Eterium if it's still available please.

Sorry, just one minute ago I noticed StrixNebulosa mentioning she wanted it on last page and gave it to her. I'm sure there will be more people giving it away here very soon.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 1, 2017

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
That's alright :). Thanks for handing out free games!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I wouldn't say this month's bundle is terrible, but it's definitely not as impressive as they've otherwise been lately. I'm worried for next month too. Rise of the Tomb Raider has been pretty cheap on the regular.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

John Murdoch posted:

I wouldn't say this month's bundle is terrible, but it's definitely not as impressive as they've otherwise been lately. I'm worried for next month too. Rise of the Tomb Raider has been pretty cheap on the regular.

Yeah I mean this is what I meant. Previous months have been AMAZING, but for 12 bucks, Im not complaining.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Im_Special posted:

Looks pretty lackluster honestly, I skipped out on this one because Killing Floor just ain't my jam, and now looking at the reveals, only Banner Saga and Momodora were on my wishlist and while they look fun, they aren't one of the "huge" titles I've been waiting decades for to hit Humble low prices.

Ya normally there is 1 huge title that rarely goes on sale like PoE last month. Well I will definitely play Banner Saga 2 and give the other indie games 1 try. Not a fan of killing floor even though I like L4D2.

Unbalanced
Sep 29, 2005

John Murdoch posted:

The rest of next month's bundle could be Indiegala tier crap and you'd still be getting Rise for cheaper than it's ever been on sale. Not sure what there is to worry about.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

All this VN talk and no mention of House in Fata Morgana yet? Not even from you, Blattdorf? Smdh.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

There's not much gore or violence, but don't expect 999/Danganronpa/Umineko stylings. It's more like Visual Novel Until Dawn to the tune of The Grudge rather than a who-dunnit like the games you've listed.
However it is pretty jump-scarey, and a few gory parts are very much so, depending on the paths you take. Like, depending on your choices you can play an entire game without anyone getting killed, or start having some Final Destination poo poo death spiral from chapter one.

Summing it up as VN Until Dawn (J-Horror edition) is definitely accurate though.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

To anyone who already got the current monthly bundle - since it does not state it explicitly, I assume Rise of the Tomb Raider is not the 20 anniversary edition including the season pass stuff, right?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Perhaps a hamster posted:

All this VN talk and no mention of House in Fata Morgana yet? Not even from you, Blattdorf? Smdh.

It's on my list after I finish Kindred Spirits on the Roof. I guess I technically started The House in Fata Morgana first but they are as far apart as possible in terms of tone, story, art, etc.

edit: speaking of J or Asian horror games. Detention is some point and click horror game that I started back during the summer sale but haven't been back to yet. It was cool but I wasn't in the mood for it.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Perhaps a hamster posted:

I've decided to abstain this time as I've already went on a spiel about this twice.

Reminder: If it has a) school life, b) harem, c) both, it's almost guaranteed to be poo poo.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I feel like I haven't posted a review in this thread for a really long time. Sadly I have no VNs to offer, but I do have a remake of an old Flash game from 2004 which is part of the Weeklong Deals.

Many games have benefited hugely in jumping from Flash or other indie formats to commercial releases. Spelunky, N, and Super Meat Boy all come to mind as titles which grew into fuller, more polished products by moving to a larger marketplace. So too is the case with Super Motherload, transforming the classic Flash game into a more stylish and structured adventure beneath the surface of Mars (complete with couch co-op, too!). This transformation also took a few unexpected turns in the process, and as you’ll see they may not all be for the better.

Just as its predecessor did, Super Motherload drops you onto the surface of Mars in a nimble little cube of a mining rig. The other miners have all bugged off for reasons unknown and it’s up to you to drill down and turn a profit for your corporate masters. Tunneling Dig-Dug-style shafts into the planet, you’ll find riches and hazards alike as strange radio messages start filtering in to reveal the terrible fate that befell the other spelunkers. In the end, your quest for loot will fund a journey into untold depths and the bizarre secrets held beneath the Martian surface.

Mechanically, your goal here is to dig as deep as you can. In the original Motherload it was a straight shot but the soil became harder to drill and the hazards became more… hazardous, so you had to spend your wealth on upgrades to balance everything out. Super Motherload follows a similar tack but gates your progression more firmly, making some soils completely untouchable until you unlock new drills through the story instead of your wallet. Those story beats sometimes require the completion of tasks like finding some number of probes or artifacts for the strange and unfortunate characters you meet in your descent.

It’s not just the progression that’s more structured, either. OG Motherload had a map of randomized resources and dangers that became more dense on both ends as you descended, mimicking what you might imagine actual geology to be like. Super Motherload doesn’t ditch that entirely, but I was surprised to find a lot of puzzle-type constructs to contend with. Mazes of unbreakable blocks, tricky networks of overhanging ledges (your driller can fly but can’t drill while flying), and goofy shapes like skulls and arrows litter the underground. I appreciate the challenges they present but it takes something away from the remote, isolated atmosphere when you’re very obviously working through a hand-made puzzle instead of an interesting geological formation.

Mining out ores and gems and returning them to your base earns you cash to upgrade your rig, as well as refuel and repair. Your little driller takes serious damage from slamming into things too hard or trying to drill lava, and once you run out of fuel you can’t drill any more. The latter is a welcome change from the instant death upon running dry in the original, and takes much of the edge off of exploring. Upgrades let you drill faster or hold more loot or take less damage from hazards, but they ramp up in price quick. A neat addition to this edition is the smelter, a system that lets you passively combine two consecutive ores or gems into a more valuable one. Upgrading your smelter unlocks more combinations, so the latter game is less about filling your hold and more about finding profitable chains of gems.

As you spelunk further you’ll get ominous radio messages from the other mysterious denizens of Mars, gradually unfolding the story of what happened to the previous miners and what exactly you’re drilling towards. Unlike the original you’ll pass subterranean bases with all the amenities of your surface complex, cutting out the long treks up and down of the original. Super Motherload succeeds in cutting out a lot of the tedium and potential losses of the original, but not without adding some of its own. The addition of new bomb consumables that clear blocks in certain patterns goes hand in hand with requiring their use more and more the further down you go. The endgame sequence in particular gets ridiculously cluttered with hazards and blocks needing bombs. Also, while I like what they came up with for a “boss” to this kind of game I can’t say it was a super fun experience to work through, and it feels like you’re expected to grind out all the upgrades and tons of bombs before you even attempt it.

Motherload was a solid little mining game with surprising depth, and Super Motherload stays faithful to that vision. Though it offers different challenges and has its own foibles, the core is just as solid and the updated graphics and sound further enhance the experience. I’m not entirely sure I prefer this one over the original, but either one is a stand-out in the odd little mining genre they occupy. If you’ve never tried Motherload you’re in for a treat, and if you’re an old sand hog then you owe it to yourself to see what this version has to offer.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
If I may repost from the previous thread re: VN chat:

quote:

While Black Closet has VN trappings, it's more of an investigation game with randomized cases. You are assigned a case at the beginning of the school week, and you're graded on both how quick you solve the case and whether or not you uncover the right culprit. As I said, the cases are randomized, so sometimes a missing purse might be stolen, or the student was a moron who forgot where she left it. There are conspiracies abound, plenty of endings, and a traitor in your midst. Basically, Black Closet's the cream of the crop as far as I'm concerned.

EDIT: I'd almost forgotten I wrote a short review of the game earlier in the thread.

The Royal Trap is the most VN of these three, with no gameplay elements, but lots of story, and what I think is one of the best-written female main characters around. It can get a little wordy when compared to the other two VNs here, but it's well worth the reading- besides, if you're reading VNs I'm sure a little wordiness shouldn't scare you. Also, you won't get all of the story on a single playthrough, so if replay value and going down different routes is your thing, you have to consider this VN.

Finally, Magical Diary: Horse Hall might seem a bit iffy, considering your default character's name is Mary Sue and the whole thing looks like Harry Potter Fanfic: The Game, but it does find its own stride and voice very quickly. That being said, the art style and a degree of randomization might put some people off, and the magical school tests can be a little frustrating with only a limited variety of solutions each. Even so, the writing's very solid, and the various routes do have their fair share surprises.

Of the three, I like Black Closet the best, but if you're just in it for the reading and the choices, I'd suggest The Royal Trap instead.

EDIT: In the interest of fair disclosure, I helped proofread one of the routes in The Royal Trap, so I might be biased :v:

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 1, 2017

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

mcbexx posted:

To anyone who already got the current monthly bundle - since it does not state it explicitly, I assume Rise of the Tomb Raider is not the 20 anniversary edition including the season pass stuff, right?

Just the base game, but I checked on the season pass and it looks super sucky.
Bunch of horde modes, costumes that only work after you beat the story and a 30-60min bonus tomb.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

CommissarMega posted:

If I may repost from the previous thread re: VN chat:

Of the three, I like Black Closet the best, but if you're just in it for the reading and the choices, I'd suggest The Royal Trap instead.

EDIT: In the interest of fair disclosure, I helped proofread one of the routes in The Royal Trap, so I might be biased :v:

These are all good, yeah. Same developer as Long Live the Queen, too.

Unbalanced
Sep 29, 2005

sauer kraut posted:

Just the base game, but I checked on the season pass and it looks super sucky.
Bunch of horde modes, costumes that only work after you beat the story and a 30-60min bonus tomb.

I hear good things about the endurance mode, but yeah the rest of it looks like it falls in the "nice to have but not worth paying for" category.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So there's a retro platformer on Steam called Super Win the Game that's on sale right now for $1.59 and seems to be tugging hard at the nostalgia strings, and it's got pretty good reviews.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/310700/Super_Win_the_Game/

It also has the coolest and most customizable CRT filter I've ever seen and I think I have to get it just for that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AfFaGwFNIg

Anybody played it?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 1, 2017

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

One thing I like about this game is that the unlockable characters actually change the core gameplay in a major way so it's fun to play through a few times. Also if you poke around the Steam community pages for it someone made a map editor so if you get stuck or bored you can plop some resources outside of your safe room and skip grinding and frustration.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I beat Prey, you should all buy Prey.

Gomi Day
Nov 15, 2007

Trust me, Bill. Large spectacles lend distinction to any countenance, as I have reason to know.
Plaster Town Cop

GreatGreen posted:

So there's a retro platformer on Steam called Super Win the Game that's on sale right now for $1.59 and seems to be tugging hard at the nostalgia strings, and it's got pretty good reviews.

It also has the coolest and most customizable CRT filter I've ever seen and I think I have to get it just for that.

Anybody played it?

yes. it rules.

it's the followup to another free game on steam called "you have to win the game"

it too is incredibly fun and reminds me of the old exploration / platformer "montezuma's revenge"

start there, and get super win the game, if you liked it!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Blattdorf posted:

I've decided to abstain this time as I've already went on a spiel about this twice.

Reminder: If it has a) school life, b) harem, c) both, it's almost guaranteed to be poo poo.

I'm glad you said almost, because Root Double is great.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

GreatGreen posted:

Anybody played it?
As mentioned already, definitely try the free game on steam first. I actually liked it more than the sequel. It's pretty clever and is only about an hour long. Super Win the Game is kind of zelda 2 inspired in regards to town and overworld design but it just didn't click for me like the original, probably because there's like talking and poo poo and I want no part of that in these types of games. I'd recommend it if you like platformers because it controls well and is decent enough.

The dev, Minor Key Games, does go all out with the crt stuff in most of his games, though I didn't care for Gunmetal Arcadia at all. So if you want to extensively fiddle with crt settings in your games, buy his stuff.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 1, 2017

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

GreatGreen posted:

Anybody played it?

it's fairly interesting. I would agree that the first is better, although it's also way harder, so if you find that offputting you might still like super win the game. it's a lot more puzzle and exploration based than the first one was.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Unbalanced posted:

The rest of next month's bundle could be Indiegala tier crap and you'd still be getting Rise for cheaper than it's ever been on sale. Not sure what there is to worry about.

sauer kraut posted:

Just the base game

That's exactly what I was concerned about. I remember getting the complete package for Rise for $20~ so just the base game for 12 is nowhere near as amazing as it might sound.

Maybe I'm just biased though because I also didn't think Rise was actually that great.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

It's worthless crap designed to upsell. Geez. Also this months bundle was pretty good and the non-killing floor games were by far the best you could have expected for non-featured.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
they should have paid ME to play rise of the tomb raider, because then that would mean i was a game reviewer or youtube celebrity

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I bought The End is Nigh

THIS loving WATER LEVEL

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh weird, they just patched Star Wars Empire at War to reeanable multiplayer.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Mordja posted:

Oh weird, they just patched Star Wars Empire at War to reeanable multiplayer.

Disney buying Star Wars has turned out pretty great.

Also I've been waiting for Rise of the Tomb Raider to go super cheap.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

GreatGreen posted:

Anybody played it?

It's like Zelda 2 if it was about platforming instead of combat. By which I mean, it's fantastic and everyone should pick it up for that price

The CRT emulator is indeed insane. Really gave me nostalgia for playing my NES as a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Much love to Kragger for offering to give me Eterium