Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Ciaphas posted:

i vaguely wonder if there's a better word than "grind" when you're happy to do it because the activity is fun, rather than doing it grudgingly for the reward at the end, in a gaming context

i only bring this up because i feel MHW is very much the former

That's just called playing videogames

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Monster hunter is an action game first and a "gear grind" second. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who just wants to see numbers go up.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

How's Monster Hunter compared to God Eater? I havent played any Monster Hunter games.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I only tried God Eater for a hot minute, but Monster Hunter just feels more alive. The details that go into the areas probably help plenty.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Digirat posted:

Monster hunter is an action game first and a "gear grind" second.
except for when you're trying to get the beetle armor in 4U, in which case it is a re-enter specific zones you looked up online that have a small chance to have the bugs you need to find repeatedly game first and exclusively

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
monster hunter is good but whoever decided some crafting materials would be gated behind doing specific challenging things like tail cuts, and then also when you do that you still only have a chance to get the item(sometimes a low chance like 20%), and then even once you do it you need to continue to do it because you need multiple of that material, can go throw themselves off the highest room of the tallest tower in our fair kingdom

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

20% tails? pfft. you dont know pain until you are grinding 1% gems.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Awesome! posted:

20% tails? pfft. you dont know pain until you are grinding 1% gems.

i have a llot more trouble with the fuckin rathian spikes than i ever have teostra gems or whatever, god drat it :argh:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

gmq posted:

Am I wrong in thinking that Monster Hunter is similar to a MMO with some multiplayer, a lot of grinding and lot of clicking monsters?

I'm not a huge MonHun fan by any measure, but for me the big difference is that the actual gameplay in Monster Hunter is amazing and engaging, whereas the your standard MMO is lovely gameplay tied to sometimes interesting premise, more often not even that. Like, for me the dungeons in World of Warcraft were fun but anything in between was just terrible, terrible grind to get to the endgame. I played several more since then but in every one of them the gameplay is super basic. Yeah, you'll be clicking a lot of different buttons but for most of them you'll be waving your weapon vapidly at the enemy with zero sense of weight.

The story in MHW is basically only there to point you from one monster to another and the whole goal is to battle increasingly bigger monsters and make them into fashionable gear. If that's not interesting then that's how it is but I wouldn't really compare it to the bland gameplay of MMOs. If anything, I'd say it's like a standalone boss rush mode game, like (gasp!) Dark Souls. Depends if the idea of fighting one boss for five minutes or longer is of any interest to you.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I've been mostly attacking tails to kill the thing faster (weak spots), but I understand how that aspect gets in the way of Fashion Hunter. Captures help too with rare materials. I hardly even upgrade armor since I'm just trying to look good (I don't).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Re: Death's Gambit.

I was expecting a Metroidvania, but not actual Metroid. This game is pretty weird!

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
After engaging with someone else in the conversation about "Monster Hunter is a skinner box", while technically they're not wrong, I concluded that they kept trying to see the game as a race to the finish. While you can grind to get top gear, it's almost entirely optional, because the appeal to me is the act of fighting monsters: tracking them, learning them, loving (or hating) them, and passing on the wisdom of fighting them to other hunters. The "journey, not destination" adage.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Xander77 posted:

Not in the least. I thought you were going to talk about side-story characters who literally look like their faces had the details removed, but that particular distinction is really not apparent.

Those characters (as well as Nishiki) were designed before they started modeling characters after real actors, and to me at least, it shows. It would just sort of bug me to see Mr Video Games Kiryu with some real rear end people. I'm pretty nitpicky with most things art-related though. :shrug:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Naganted posted:

Lots of people saying stuff like this, want to be one of the random people that pipes up and says it's always worked completely fine on my system, looks really nice, loads saves just about instantly even from an external hd, all sorts of nice little things.
I had to limit framerate to 60 in the ini files to stop the sound from being stuttery, and the game still occasionally takes a moment to freeze and think.

owl_pellet posted:

Anyone else getting a weird thing with Yakuza 0 where the NPCs you can talk to have potato mode textures until you talk to them? It's really strange and even kind of upsetting in a few instances.
Yeah. The Rush training guy consistently activates dying shapeshifter mode whenever we start / end our training.

Kiryu is canonically against kinkshaming.

In screenshot related news, I appreciate how dedicated the cabaret storyline is to this particular gag:

And then it ends, and you get your knife:

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Aug 15, 2018

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Xander77 posted:

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Synthbuttrange posted:

How's Monster Hunter compared to God Eater? I havent played any Monster Hunter games.

God Eater is utter garbage. Monster Hunter World is fantastic.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
I feel like Kiryu is the closest specimen to a "JoJo's Bizarre Adventure" protagonist because like Jonathan/Joseph Joestar and Kujo Jotaro, he towers over everyone else and has a deep voice to the point that I thought he was 10 years old than he actually is. He's only 20 in Yak0

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

I laugh every time this happens because I am immature

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Xander77 posted:

In screenshot related news, I appreciate how dedicated the cabaret storyline is to this particular gag:
I had the exact same thought yesterday. Its much funnier in motion than in the pictures though because the camera movements and body language make it even funnier.

Another personal favourite moment in the game is when Kiryu gets oddly poetic when he gets stood up after organising a phone date.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

So anyone interested in We Happy Few?

Well

Highlights include "Makes Road to Hell Retribution look brilliant", "broken to the level of the worst Steam direct games" "even from the company that brought us Aliens Colonial Marines this is a new low", "I cannot fully articulate how bad this game is" and "it's a piece of poo poo".

Ouch Jim.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Aug 15, 2018

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

monster hunter is good but whoever decided some crafting materials would be gated behind doing specific challenging things like tail cuts, and then also when you do that you still only have a chance to get the item(sometimes a low chance like 20%), and then even once you do it you need to continue to do it because you need multiple of that material, can go throw themselves off the highest room of the tallest tower in our fair kingdom

Investigations let you get drops for any monster’s part, including their rarest parts, without having to break/cut anything specific. World also tends to combines monster drop pools enough so that breaks are the most surefire way of getting a particular thing but you can still potentially just get it out of a carve or reward anyway.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Morter posted:

After engaging with someone else in the conversation about "Monster Hunter is a skinner box", while technically they're not wrong, I concluded that they kept trying to see the game as a race to the finish. While you can grind to get top gear, it's almost entirely optional, because the appeal to me is the act of fighting monsters: tracking them, learning them, loving (or hating) them, and passing on the wisdom of fighting them to other hunters. The "journey, not destination" adage.

You gotta fight the same monster like 50 times

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
um...

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Morter posted:

This is the evolved form of the guy that always talks about how games are fun when you're high

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Someone save froppy!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

corn in the bible posted:

Yeah, it's pretty fun like a character action game.

I only ever quit because I realized I'd never have enough free time to learn how to use all the weapons I wanted.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

And link fixed.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Xander77 posted:

I had to limit framerate to 60 in the ini files to stop the sound from being stuttery, and the game still occasionally takes a moment to freeze and think.
Yeah. The Rush training guy consistently activates dying shapeshifter mode whenever we start / end our training.

And then it ends, and you get your knife:

It's the ol' Scooby Stack.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Digirat posted:

Investigations let you get drops for any monster’s part, including their rarest parts, without having to break/cut anything specific. World also tends to combines monster drop pools enough so that breaks are the most surefire way of getting a particular thing but you can still potentially just get it out of a carve or reward anyway.

There's also the melder to help out--do your limited weeklies! You can make gems that way a lot of the time.

World is such a great game. I've loved MonHun since Tri when I was comically bad at everything and there was no kiranico to just tell me where to find stuff and the internet was way less helpful. Now I'm the one on my friend's discord telling everybody how to hunt mons. Get into it and bully some dragons!

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Tell people the basics and answer questions, for sure, but don't be the prick that constantly vomits out MLG protips meant to be the ONLY way to use a weapon/hunt monsters. Every community had them but MonHun has been great at stifling elitist minmax mentality. It's all about having a fun time.

Not saying that to anyone in particular, just saying that veteran hunters are generally chill and folks new to the series should know that. :shobon:

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
The only pro tips you should be giving people for Mon Hun World is UI stuff (there are a LOT of shortcuts to make things faster between fights) and legacy mechanics that the game doesn't explain (a few weapon mechanics, despite the very good in-game weapon-specific guide pages and a shitton of item mechanics). Don't tell people how to actually fight the monsters that's the fun part to figure out.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
The biggest thing I've been telling people is to use the ghillie mantle to do the egg quests. Good lord, what a lifesaver.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Also turn off auto-sheathe in the menu, which is such a bafflingly stupid default setting.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Also put your palico in a parka.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Morter posted:

I really enjoyed the 80 hours I put in on PS4 but most of the wisdom for me, using mainly the longsword and bowguns, was "roll more", "parry counter into fade slash or whatever more", and "craft better ammo". :v:

The post-game sucks hard because it's not different at all (or wasn't at launch) but up to Xeno'Jiva it's pretty fun and good. Except the lovely giant lava dragon 'fight'. gently caress that it's so incredibly boring.

quote:

Also put your palico in a parka.

Mine was in fuzzy pjs :kimchi:

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 15, 2018

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
The longsword can parry?!

Edit: in addition to my last post:

Morter fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Aug 15, 2018

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Morter posted:

The longsword can parry?!

Edit: in addition to my last post:

Yeah the one attack if you time it right as you're about to get hit prevents you from getting hurt, gets a followup attack, and charges your meter a full bar. It's key to constantly shouting Rules Of Nature :v:

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

corn in the bible posted:

When you say this, do you mean 50 times with little variation between the fights? I haven't played MonHun before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
So, Deaths Gambit, what exactly is the justification for not allowing you to pause a single player game?

Also, what exactly is this nebulous currency I'm picking up that allows me to level up and buy items?

Saying Dark Souls did it isn't enough.